Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: What's your MOST ONE SIDED trade offer received?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
jaderock
I was recently contacted by someone online who had a variant of a card that isn't listed in Beckett claiming it was a "1/1".

He has a 1997 Playoff Contenders Clash Gold Mark Brunell/Tim Brown.
NOTE: That particular set didn't come in a Gold variant, but in 2001 Playoff had a retail buyback set that INCLUDED that GOLD card/set in the checklist (which tells me it was a set that wasn't originally released but used in 2001 as "buyback" when in fact it was "inventory previously not used." Although this buyback set didn't have all print runs listed, some cards were listed at 25-50 cards, so if this was indeed a "buyback" set there was more than one copy lying around! wink.gif

So here's the biggest one sided trade offer I received.

Quoting/summarizing the guy "...the Brunell is worth at least $1500 since a Chris Chandler #1/1" was worth that much in the July 2008 Beckett (I couldn't verify this - CAN ANYONE? ). I would only accept a trade for THIS card: "
Adrian Peterson 2007 SPA Gold Auto/Patch RC (#/25) for this possibly 1/1 Mark Brunell 1997 Contenders Gold Clash.
"
Why is it one sided?!? A Peterson RC that sells in the range of $800-1000 for an "unlisted" Brunell?!? Come on?!

I wasn't sure to laugh or cry.

Well it wasn't that one sided since he offered to include "two ungraded Mark Brunell 1993 Bowman RCs...that makes it 3 for 1" <-- those Brunell RCs sell for .10-.50!!!!

Am I a fool to pass this up?!? What is your worst trade offer received???
jmagic87
wow that is just sad i hope you atleast own a copy of that card already

mine is not that bad but would have to be when someone offered to trade me a 1992 topps rookie of nomar for my pujols m&m 1/1 my 1960 fleer ruth and my griffey triple patch
msuwendy
Good grief....that guy is living on another planet!!!

Pastretta
Wow....I'd love to know what that guy is on. ohmy.gif
metsfan2427
I was trying to trade my ps2
so everything together was selling for around 150. and i said that. i gave him a list of what i liked. and he offered me this
BRADY QUINN:
2007 Press Pass RC # 2
2007 Press Pass SE Class of 2007 Insert # CL-1
2007 Upper Deck Rookie Fantasy Team Insert # RFT-BQ

RUDI JOHNSON:

2004 Sweet Spot Signatures Helmet SP Auto # SS-RJ
2001 Finest Rookie Premiere Gu jersey RC # RPJ-RJ
2006 Prestige Prestigious Pros Gu Jersey # PP-42
2005 UD Sweet Spot Sweet Swatches Gu jersey #'d 5/40 # SW-RJ
2004 Topps Pristine Fantasy Favorites Gu jersey # FF-Rj

and like 3 steve smith rcs.
19th Century Indiana Jones
QUOTE(metsfan2427 @ Oct 5 2008, 08:59 AM)
I was trying to trade my ps2
so everything together was selling for around 150. and i said that. i gave him a list of what i liked. and he offered me this
BRADY QUINN:
2007 Press Pass RC # 2
2007 Press Pass SE Class of 2007 Insert # CL-1
2007 Upper Deck Rookie Fantasy Team Insert # RFT-BQ

RUDI JOHNSON:

2004 Sweet Spot Signatures Helmet SP Auto # SS-RJ
2001 Finest Rookie Premiere Gu jersey RC # RPJ-RJ
2006 Prestige Prestigious Pros Gu Jersey # PP-42
2005 UD Sweet Spot Sweet Swatches Gu jersey #'d 5/40 # SW-RJ
2004 Topps Pristine Fantasy Favorites Gu jersey # FF-Rj

and like 3 steve smith rcs.

I don't think you should trade hardware for cardboard. JMHO.
sschind
QUOTE(jaderock @ Oct 5 2008, 02:02 AM)
I was recently contacted by someone online who had a variant of a card that isn't listed in Beckett claiming it was a "1/1".

He has a 1997 Playoff Contenders Clash Gold Mark Brunell/Tim Brown.
NOTE: That particular set didn't come in a Gold variant, but in 2001 Playoff had a retail buyback set that INCLUDED that GOLD card/set in the checklist (which tells me it was a set that wasn't originally released but used in 2001 as "buyback" when in fact it was "inventory previously not used." Although this buyback set didn't have all print runs listed, some cards were listed at 25-50 cards, so if this was indeed a "buyback" set there was more than one copy lying around! wink.gif

So here's the biggest one sided trade offer I received.

Quoting/summarizing the guy "...the Brunell is worth at least $1500 since a Chris Chandler #1/1" was worth that much in the July 2008 Beckett (I couldn't verify this - CAN ANYONE? ). I would only accept a trade for THIS card: "
Adrian Peterson 2007 SPA Gold Auto/Patch RC (#/25) for this possibly 1/1 Mark Brunell 1997 Contenders Gold Clash.
"
Why is it one sided?!? A Peterson RC that sells in the range of $800-1000 for an "unlisted" Brunell?!? Come on?!

I wasn't sure to laugh or cry.

Well it wasn't that one sided since he offered to include "two ungraded Mark Brunell 1993 Bowman RCs...that makes it 3 for 1" <-- those Brunell RCs sell for .10-.50!!!!

Am I a fool to pass this up?!? What is your worst trade offer received???

Just for the sake of argument, if I pulled a Brunell 1/1 would you trade the Peterson card for it? I'm only asking because it may be possible that the guy really thought he had something rare in the Brunell, and that you, as the ultimate Brunell collector, would be very interested in it. Interested enough to trade a $1000.00 card for it. This guy obviously looks at values if he was telling the truth about the Chandler 1/1 (I have no way of knowing) and you would have to think maybe he thought he had something. I would find it hard to believe that anyone would try to school you on a Brunell card. I'm not as obsessed with my collection as you are biggrin.gif and I don't know what I would do in a case like that but I have to admit, if my collection were as complete as yours, and the opportunity arose to add another 1/1 to it, and I had something the guy wanted I would have to think long and hard. Obviously the card was not what he was thinking, so the offer becomes seriously one sided but if it had been something, what he was thinking it was, would it have been so one sided?. You have to admit, with collection like yours you are going to get some pretty one sided offers when people get cards that they think you might need.

Actually, the real reason I am asking is that I am just feeling you out in case I ever pull a Brunell 1/1. I don't want to cut myself short in my trade demands. My kids will be starting college soon biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
QUOTE(sschind @ Oct 5 2008, 10:28 AM)
Just for the sake of argument, if I pulled a Brunell 1/1 would you trade the Peterson card for it? ... Interested enough to  trade a $1000.00 card for it. 

It's called "Holding a card hostage".
urbanmonk
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 5 2008, 07:33 AM)
It's called "Holding a card hostage".

Life tends to play the "Payback" game at least (my opinion anyway), what comes around goes around.
QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Oct 5 2008, 12:41 PM)
Life tends to play the "Payback" game at least (my opinion anyway), what comes around goes around.

You mean the universe eventually evens things out?
Pastretta
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 5 2008, 06:15 AM)
I don't think you should trade hardware for cardboard. JMHO.

laugh.gif

Robert you should become a rapper!!! You are always rhyming it up!!!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif
jaderock
QUOTE(sschind @ Oct 5 2008, 07:28 AM)
Just for the sake of argument, if I pulled a Brunell 1/1 would you trade the Peterson card for it?  I'm only asking because it may be possible that the guy really thought he had something rare in the Brunell, and that you, as the ultimate Brunell collector, would be very interested in it.  Interested enough to  trade a $1000.00 card for it.  This guy obviously looks at values if he was telling the truth about the Chandler 1/1 (I have no way of knowing) and you would have to think maybe he thought he had something.  I would find it hard to believe that anyone would try to school you on a Brunell card.  I'm not as obsessed with my collection as you are  biggrin.gif and I don't know what I would do in a case like that but I have to admit, if my collection were as complete as yours, and the opportunity arose to add another 1/1 to it, and I had something the guy wanted I would have to think long and hard.  Obviously the card was not what he was thinking, so the offer becomes seriously one sided but if it had been something, what he was thinking it was, would it have been so one sided?.  You have to admit, with collection like yours you are going to get some pretty one sided offers when people get cards that they think you might need.

Actually, the real reason I am asking is that I am just feeling you out in case I ever pull a Brunell 1/1.  I don't want to cut myself short in my trade demands.  My kids will be starting college soon biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Truth to the matter is, I try and figure the person out and then work DILIGENTLY in trying to find items they need. Currently there are SIX #1/1s that I know of out there that I CAN NOT get.

There have been cards I've needed that I've waited YEARS for before the "death grip" was loosen and I got for WAY cheaper than the original asking price!

In the case of this guy, he pulled it 11 years ago and was qouting me 1997 BVs. When I made my counteroffer - it was for the total price of THREE #1/1s that I recently purchased OR a Brett Favre #1/1 that I recently got...that sum was $41...yes even Favre's #1/1s are dirt cheap.
urbanmonk
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 5 2008, 09:44 AM)

Maybe not, but I like to believe that anyway wink.gif people that take advantage of others usually get theirs in the end, one way or another. Same as those that do good things usually get that back. Granted things not quite that simple laugh.gif but it sounds good anyway wink.gif
hodee5
Not to ever bash the great Brunell, but is there any card of his worth $1500? That sounds kinda mean...... sad.gif Rest assured Mr. 3rd jadeROCK From The Sun, if I ever do get a Brunell 1/1, it will just show up in your mailbox with a note saying, "Hope you enjoy adding this card to your collection!" biggrin.gif
jaderock
QUOTE(hodee5 @ Oct 5 2008, 05:41 PM)
Not to ever bash the great Brunell, but is there any card of his worth $1500?

No there isn't...the highest BV Brunell card is a quad auto with Peyton, McNabb and Leftwich (#/5).
tex333
Ian Kinsler SPX 1/1 RC Auto BGS 9

for:

Matt LaPorta Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor

QUOTE(tex333 @ Oct 5 2008, 10:36 PM)
Ian Kinsler SPX 1/1 RC Auto BGS 9

for:

Matt LaPorta Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor

Whoops! I thought you were trying to trade with someone. blushing.gif
tex333
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 5 2008, 08:37 PM)
Whoops! I thought you were trying to trade with someone.  blushing.gif

Oh trust me, I would have done that deal in a heartbeat. Though it's about 400 dollars in his favor. Only thing was he wanted me to send first and he had no feedback. It's on ebay now for 300 OBO but the seller wont go below 200. sad.gif
sschind
Thanks for the responses. I hope you noted the smilies in my post to know I was not at all serious about what my dealings with a Brunell 1/1 would be like. In fact, I tend to side with hodee5, it would probably just arrive in his mailbox one day.

Its just that you have to admit, there are not many collections out there like his (jaderock that is). Someone with his dedication must be willing to pony up a bit more to get what he wants or he wouldn't have what he has. I was just curious. To me $800.00 - $1000.00 for the Peterson (or anyone for that matter) autograph is laughable but when you start talking about a PC card what would a 1/1 be worth to you. Would it be worth more to you if your player had, lets say 100 1/1s and you had 2 of them already or if your player had 100 1/1s and you had 90 of them already. I would think you would be willing to pay a bit more for the latter. I know I would.

jaderock
QUOTE(sschind @ Oct 6 2008, 04:00 PM)
Its just that you have to admit, there are not many collections out there like his (jaderock that is).  Someone with his dedication must be willing to pony up a bit more to get what he wants or he wouldn't have what he has.  I was just curious.  To me $800.00 - $1000.00 for the Peterson (or anyone for that matter) autograph is laughable but when you start talking about a PC card what would a 1/1 be worth to you.  Would it be worth more to you if your player had, lets say 100 1/1s and you had 2 of them already or if your player had 100 1/1s and you had 90 of them already.  I would think you would be willing to pay a bit more for the latter. I know I would.

The fact is over the years I have bought out several Brunell collections and because of that there really aren't any more "hardcore" Brunell collectors left. There are a couple of guys that I still see once in a long while, but nothing that I can't deal with.

To that point, I still pay way more than anyone else would for his rare stuff. In other words (especially auctions), if I make you an offer it's because it's MORE THAN fair and MORE than anyone else would pay. TO which the seller that turn me down eventually get a price LESS than initially offered! wink.gif

Nowadays, I also consider supply and demand. Although the supply has dried up, the demand for his stuff has waned over the last FIVE years. I do have my limits and I'm far from being a millionaire.

In 1998-99, Favre #1/1s were selling for $500 and Brunell #1/1 was going for $350. But that was then and this is NOW. Some folks are quoting prices BEYOND 90s price and thinking what they have is GOLD (and in their mine it still is).

There has NEVER been a single person to fork over a #1/1 to me for "free". The one that came the closest was a Beckett member that bought the "2004 LCM Mirror Black NFL Logo #1/1" for me upfront and I repaid him with SEVEN #1/1s and other cards in return. smile.gif

sschind
QUOTE(jaderock @ Oct 6 2008, 09:33 PM)
The fact is over the years I have bought out several Brunell collections and because of that there really aren't any more "hardcore" Brunell collectors left. There are a couple of guys that I still see once in a long while, but nothing that I can't deal with. 

To that point, I still pay way more than anyone else would for his rare stuff. In other words (especially auctions), if I make you an offer it's because it's MORE THAN fair and MORE than anyone else would pay. TO which the seller that turn me down eventually get a price LESS than initially offered! wink.gif

Nowadays, I also consider supply and demand. Although the supply has dried up, the demand for his stuff has waned over the last FIVE years. I do have my limits and I'm far from being a millionaire.

In 1998-99, Favre #1/1s were selling for $500 and Brunell #1/1 was going for $350. But that was then and this is NOW. Some folks are quoting prices BEYOND 90s price and thinking what they have is GOLD (and in their mine it still is).

There has NEVER been a single person to fork over a #1/1 to me for "free". The one that came the closest was a Beckett member that bought the "2004 LCM Mirror Black NFL Logo #1/1" for me upfront and I repaid him with SEVEN #1/1s and other cards in return. smile.gif

Thanks for the insight. As far as the free 1/1, yeah, I guess you are right. We probably wouldn't GIVE it to you. What I probably would do would say I have the card, what will you give me for it? and like you said in the second paragraph of your response your offer would most likely be more than fair. I hope you don't feel like we are picking on you at all. Its just that I don't think the vast majority of us could ever come close to matching your dedication to collecting one player. I kid about the obsession and stuff but its out of admiration for what you have accomplished.
timfsu2k7
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 5 2008, 11:44 AM)

Sure it does. Haven't you ever watched "Lost"??

smile.gif
snowblink
Only one I recall was a guy asking me to trade several star player issues from a set card for card for the whozit issues in that set. He based his offer on the fact that the cards had been "obtained free anyway". laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.