Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Card Find????
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Luke2411
My mother called yesterday. A couple of weeks ago, my great aunt passed away in Arkansas. This is my mother's father's sister. So, my grandfather's sister. My grandfather has been up there for a week or two finalizing her estate, going through her things and squaring everything away.

He called my mom to ask her if I was interested in some baseball cards he found in her old house. Thankfully, my mother said I was. So, he's bringing them back to Texas with him and in a couple of weeks, I'm going to head over there and see what they are.

I'm very curious to find out what she had. She was in her 80s when she passed. I'm quite positive she would not have any cards from the 1980s and 1990s. Even if they came from her kids, they are the same age as my parents, which would put them at prime collecting age during the 1960s. If they are hers, they could be even older than that, it's just not clear yet.

So, at the very least, I'm hoping that these are cards from the 1960s, which we can only imagine might have Mantles, Koufaxes, a Ryan RC??? Who knows? They may not be in good shape, or they may be in great shape.

I'll let you know when I get them. Keep your fingers crossed.
beanschat
well...sorry for the passing...good luck with the find. I'm sure it is exciting to imagine what might be discovered!!
19th Century Indiana Jones
My condolences....

You didn't consider tobacco cards as a possibility?
Luke2411
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Sep 29 2008, 11:34 AM)
My condolences....

You didn't consider tobacco cards as a possibility?

I didn't want to get too excited....

ffman
Sorry to hear about her passing away Jeremy.

Imagine the possibilities of what cards could be included.
finestkind
Jeremy Sorry to hear of the loss of your aunt.
jmagic87
sorry for your loss

I hope for you that the are tabacoo i got bit by the bug and you will two if u get a nice one
Luke2411
Just a brief update:

I talked to my grandfather on the phone last night and he first said he really didn't know anything about the cards or how old they were. I asked if he had seen any names of players on the cards and if he could remember what they were, and he said the only one he could remember was Yogi Berra.

So, if it's a card from Yogi's playing days, that puts the potential range of age in the 1950s-1960s. So, that's good news.

I'm going to visit this weekend, so I'll probably have the cards to look at Friday night. I'll post what I find out probably Sunday.

Keep your fingers crossed.
dd316
QUOTE(Luke2411 @ Oct 15 2008, 09:55 AM)
Just a brief update:
I talked to my grandfather on the phone last night and he first said he really didn't know anything about the cards or how old they were.  I asked if he had seen any names of players on the cards and if he could remember what they were, and he said the only one he could remember was Yogi Berra.

So, if it's a card from Yogi's playing days, that puts the potential range of age in the 1950s-1960s.  So, that's good news. 

I'm going to visit this weekend, so I'll probably have the cards to look at Friday night.  I'll post what I find out probably Sunday.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I'm DEFINITELY taking the Giants... tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Luke2411
QUOTE(dd316 @ Oct 15 2008, 10:10 AM)
I'm DEFINITELY taking the Giants... tongue.gif  biggrin.gif

LOL!!!

That's funny. I guess there could be a nice Mays in there somewhere.

I'm very curious to find what he has.

The only drawback is that in talking with him last night, he wants me to sell the cards and then we would essentially split the money between me, him, and his surviving sister. I personally would much rather KEEP the cards if indeed they are 1950 or 1960 era cards for my own collection. So, at the very least, I'll probably take my 1/3 in cards rather than money. I'll just have to do some serious work on figuring out which ones to sell and which ones not to. I may have to seek some expert guidance from TCC members.
finestkind
Jeremy it sounds like a good deal for you no matter what cards you end up with.
RGBII
I'm sorry to hear about the reason for your good fortune.

If you have a need to move quantities of 50's & early 60's
cards quickly, I can help.

Good luck & Collect Hard!,
RGBII
ffman
Mick?
michiganmaniac94
GOOD LUCK!!
miguelcabrera
good luck
msuwendy
Sorry to hear about the loss Jeremy, but do keep us updated as to what you find and what you intend to do with the cards smile.gif

Luke2411
Well guys, I learned a valuable lesson this weekend, which I thought I had learned a long time ago.

I was able to finally see the cards, and as you might have been dreading, they were all from the late 80s and early 90s. There were three stacks in rubber bands. The cards were all damaged and worn. Most were 1990 Topps and 1990 Donruss. The Yogi Berra card was actually a Kellogs Cereal card from the early 90s. So, needless to say, they were just a bunch of junk.

So, the lesson I learned was that anytime someone says, "Hey, I've got a stack of baseball cards here that might be worth something, could you take a look?" The cards will always be from the late 80s and early 90s and worth absolutely nothing.

If I had a nickel for every time someone's come in the card shop while I've been in there shopping, with a box of cards from that time span thinking they had a gold mine and was shocked to find out that they were worth nothing, I'd actually have a gold mine.

Anyhow, sorry to disappoint. As you can imagine, I was very disappointed.
Johnny Number 5
QUOTE(Luke2411 @ Oct 18 2008, 04:43 PM)
Well guys, I learned a valuable lesson this weekend, which I thought I had learned a long time ago.

I was able to finally see the cards, and as you might have been dreading, they were all from the late 80s and early 90s.  There were three stacks in rubber bands.  The cards were all damaged and worn.  Most were 1990 Topps and 1990 Donruss.  The Yogi Berra card was actually a Kellogs Cereal card from the early 90s.  So, needless to say, they were just a bunch of junk.

So, the lesson I learned was that anytime someone says, "Hey, I've got a stack of baseball cards here that might be worth something, could you take a look?"  The cards will always be from the late 80s and early 90s and worth absolutely nothing.

If I had a nickel for every time someone's come in the card shop while I've been in there shopping, with a box of cards from that time span thinking they had a gold mine and was shocked to find out that they were worth nothing, I'd actually have a gold mine.

Anyhow, sorry to disappoint.  As you can imagine, I was very disappointed.

Sorry for the let down bud..

i just had something similar...Someone offered my mother a small box of cards and an old un opened pack....for a small fee...turns out they were a bunch of 80s and 90s donruss junk and topps junk as well. SOme even had tears in them and water damage. The pack was 89 donruss with nothing clsoe to good lol...and the "box" was a classic 1991 game board with 50 card set.....

sorry for the dissappoinment, and take care
jk5
jaderock
Sorry to hear of your lost ....too bad the cards were from the 1990 sad.gif
finestkind
Jeremy Sorry to hear it was a let down for you. There's always a next time. You never know. smile.gif
dodgerblue38501
QUOTE(Luke2411 @ Oct 18 2008, 04:43 PM)

So, the lesson I learned was that anytime someone says, "Hey, I've got a stack of baseball cards here that might be worth something, could you take a look?"  The cards will always be from the late 80s and early 90s and worth absolutely nothing.

I feel your pain. This literally happens to me several times every weekend at my shop. I'm beginning to think that everyone collected cards in the 90s.
dd316
Ah, I can still remember 1990..... darn it! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.