Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Card Condition - How sensitive are you?!?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
jaderock
When buying cards, how selective are you to condition especially modern day cards 1990- to present?!? Does the card HAVE to be MINT?!?

Does manufacturer creases bother enough NOT to buy? Such as 2005 Gridiron Gear Jersey cards

How about chipping?!? Such as 1999 Playoff Absolute Boss Hogg Autographs

How sharp does the corners have to be? Perfect, a little white showing or a small ding?

Just curious what everyone thinks
KHarmon
I'm assuming your're talking about cards for the PC so I would have to say that the cards need to be at least near mint condition. A little white on a corner and manufacturer creases around JSY inserts isn't really a problem for PC cards. When it comes to trading or selling, the buyers of the cards have a little different theory on those types of flaws.
dd316
When it comes to Clark cards it doesn't matter. I don't ever plan on selling my collection so condition isn't really a factor for me. As long as the card doesn't look like it went through a blender it's fair game. Plus I may even get it a little cheaper which is always nice!
skatalite
I don't mind minor flaws at all, like some white corners, off-centered auto, whatever.

When there are bad creases, then of course I'm irate.

But I also look at some damage in a different light: For instance... I got an Exquisite auto/patch GP that has some of his finger print on it. How? Well, while signing it he smeared a small bit of his G. I think it's great!
ffman
I like it to be in relatively good condition - I just wasn't satisfied with a Sosa/A-Rod patch I got for the PC a little while back - bad edge problem (which also shows on the front surface), and a surface problem near the edge of a patch.
Dillywill
PC Cards ill let it slide but if i recieve a damaged card that i was not told was damage when i ask normally i get a little mad......
msuwendy
Same here....I'm not too fussy with PC cards....a little white on the edges or corners is fine.
jaderock
QUOTE(dd316 @ Jun 22 2006, 11:58 AM)
When it comes to Clark cards it doesn't matter. I don't ever plan on selling my collection so condition isn't really a factor for me. As long as the card doesn't look like it went through a blender it's fair game. Plus I may even get it a little cheaper which is always nice!

I'm in the same boat...for me as long as I got it I'm happy...I've seen so many "flawed" cards that I just go "UGH...whatever"

Here are some examples:

1996 Fleer In person auto - back has 2 "coin/slug" impressions on the back! "Ugh...whatever!"

2005 Gridiron Gear Jumbo Patches #/26 - have 4 and all 4 have 1, 2, 3, or 4 creased edges around the patch! "UGH, but whatever"

A Fleer Masterpiece #1/1 - that had "teeth marks" from the sealing process!!! "UGH, but What the Heck!"

Only thing I dislike is Smeared autos - I think that distracts from the card too much.
aceecards
as long as card surface has no tears especially on thick cards im ok with a rounded corner..chipping is prevailaint of foil surfaced cards except finest for some reason!!

I will not buy singles and WILL RETURN any and all cards that i open from pack thats have Creases, surface scratches or mars, and paper tears..
aceecards
QUOTE(jaderock @ Jun 22 2006, 02:23 PM)

Only thing I dislike is Smeared autos - I think that distracts from the card too much.

Oh I i hate smeared autos especially those helmet peice autos in sweet spot.. smearing is major issue there!!

I have berrian auto that you can see he smudged and tried to wipe off and restart his auto on.. Big white finger smudge to upper edge of helmet..

The used a white paint pen for goodness sake to sign that little surface!!
Rabs
I'm very picky about condition. I want everything I get to be in mint condition and honestly am mad when cards aren't. If a card has a rough edge I get mad. Same with white corners and I hate surface damage such as spots that you can see. Chipping too, I hate it all! Maybe I'm just too particular or OCD but I really am big on condition.
ffman
QUOTE(Rabs @ Jun 22 2006, 05:51 PM)
I'm very picky about condition.  I want everything I get to be in mint condition and honestly am mad when cards aren't.  If a card has a rough edge I get mad.  Same with white corners and I hate surface damage such as spots that you can see.  Chipping too, I hate it all!  Maybe I'm just too particular or OCD but I really am big on condition.

Really, I guess I'm the same about that. I try to make sure whatever card I bid on is in good condition.
Charlie
i will take any condition Kaman and then look for better condition to replace it. As for trade cards I want them to be in as best shape as possible because the next person would want the same.
19th Century Indiana Jones
There is no reason any card past 1989 should be anything less than mint. And I have no idea why a card pulled today would cost 5x (or more) book value if slabbed as Gem than if it were raw. Of course it would be Gem. What atrocities, ages or acts of God has it gone through for it not to be Gem? Everybody these days opens a pack as if it contained nitroglycerin.
Rabs
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Jun 22 2006, 08:30 PM)
There is no reason any card past 1989 should be anything less than mint. And I have no idea why a card pulled today would cost 5x (or more) book value if slabbed as Gem than if it were raw. Of course it would be Gem. What atrocities, ages or acts of God has it gone through for it not to be Gem? Everybody these days opens a pack as if it contained nitroglycerin.

That's one thing that worries me...that cards coming out now won't really ever go up in value with time like the old cards did.
sahetu
I'm pretty picky when it comes to my PCs.... pre-1985 I can see with a soft or slightly rounded edge. New foil stuff, I take MINOR chipping in stride... but otherwise I want my cards mint.

Even my 1975 Carter rookie is in excellent shape (it'd grade an 8, imo), I refused to buy any that had obvious wear.

I won't deal with any card that has a corner ding, crease, fading, bubbling, super round corners.

My vintage pre-1970 stuff may have some corner issues (but nothing MAJOR) but, hey, that's 1950s and 60s stuff, that's 40-50 years ago.
QUOTE(sahetu @ Jun 23 2006, 07:56 AM)
I won't deal with any card that has a corner ding, crease, fading, bubbling, super round corners.

Hey! In vintage circles it's called "character". smile.gif
sahetu
Well super vintage (pre-1950) is different wink.gif
jaderock
El bumpo...just want to hear some thoughts on the subject
autocut
It all depended on the card. More leanient with game used, but I HATE creases.
metsfan2427
Well usually for the pc. if is has a white corner or some chipping i really don't care. i am alot more picky with trad bait
1986 to present should be (at the very least) near mint. I'm not too picky about stuff before 1965. But there is no excuse that a card from the 90s should show any wear and tear because of the protective supplies that were created since then. Most imperfections are due to factory and/or packaging.
urbanmonk
I can be kinda picky sometimes, but then it is hard to pull a perfect card on a regular basis anymore as they seem to get messed up before the pack is even opened way too much still. One would think they could have figuired that out by now, but guess not.
Iplayfootball_90
Tradebait I'd like to have Near mint or mint.

PC items can have a ding or two, doesn't matter to me. As long as the card isn't terribly damaged I'll take it.
osufan2383
i dont mind the cards being a little roughed up if i am keeping them, but if i buy them to eventually sell or trade i would get annoyed
chopinalex
I dont mind minor shipping..but i draw the line at corner numbs!!
road_runner_1964
Obviously having a very narrow focus, I can't blink because of condition...hence the Jake Long from this year. Although, I want the best condition possible, I have to take the 264 as it is...just won't send out to be graded.
northicehero99
I want everthing in the best condition possible, but my feelings vary from card to card and whether I pulled it or bought it etc. Vintage cards for hockey in the states are so hard to come by that I will often take lower grades unless from the 70s to present. On present stuff it depends. I pulled a nice multi color swatch from hockey that had four different multicolored peices and the card was numbered out of 10 but has a ding from the packaging machine. I did not return it because I figured I would never get four impressive swatches on the replacement like the one I have. Similarly I traded for a damaged auto of some Pens with Dwight, because I wanted the autos and the damage was minor and I knew about it up front. So in some cases condition plays less of a factor, but if I am buying then I would prefer mint unless the price is seriously discounted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.