Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Wait for 08 Ginter BB or go for 08 Classics FB?
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
ffman
I was planning on getting a retail blaster of 2008 Allen and Ginter baseball, but my Wal-Mart still has none in stock.

I'm thinking of venturing into the football card arena, and Wal-Mart just got in blasters of 2008 Donruss Classics yesterday.

In your opinion, should I wait for Ginter to come in or try a blaster of 2008 Donruss Classics football? I picked up two packs last night (one for me and one for a possible new collector); the "hits" were a Welker Tributes /100 for me and a Jonathan Stewart School Colors for him.
Johnny Number 5
wait for ginter

j5
RGBII
Well, I just don't know how to respond to that query?
Collect Hard!,
RGBII

Go with your first instinct, it's usually the best.
ffman
QUOTE(RGBII @ Jul 27 2008, 03:59 PM)
Well, I just don't know how to respond to that query?
Collect Hard!,
RGBII
Go with your first instinct, it's usually the best.

I expected a harsher response from the Ginter guy. laugh.gif tongue.gif

coltsfan23
If I were you, I'd wait for Ginter.
northicehero99
I will say since you primarily collect baseball wait for Ginter to go retail.
3rdbasestar20
a & g is hobby exclusive this year
ffman
QUOTE(3rdbasestar20 @ Jul 27 2008, 04:17 PM)
a & g is hobby exclusive this year

According to sell sheets it doesn't look like it; it only states that Rip Cards are "hobby exclusive".
marcus42
a guy was selling ginter retail at a show I was at...so I would definitely say it should be in target/wal mart soon!

I wouldn't hesitate at classics though I saw a guy pull a mendenhall auto /25 out of a classics blaster! ohmy.gif

two good choices either way smile.gif
ffman
QUOTE(marcus42 @ Jul 27 2008, 05:55 PM)
a guy was selling ginter retail at a show I was at...so I would definitely say it should be in target/wal mart soon!

I wouldn't hesitate at classics though I saw a guy pull a mendenhall auto /25 out of a classics blaster! ohmy.gif

two good choices either way smile.gif

ohmy.gif

I might take a look at Classics blaster breaks at Beckett (I've saw a few over there). From what little I've saw I think most deliver a few numbered cards at the very least.
ffman
QUOTE(ffman @ Jul 27 2008, 05:56 PM)
ohmy.gif

I might take a look at Classics blaster breaks at Beckett (I've saw a few over there).  From what little I've saw I think most deliver a few numbered cards at the very least.

One Beckett member pulled a Young/Elway dual GU from a Classics blaster.

Edit: Another member opened four, pulling two GU and one School Colors autograph altogether (couldn't tell who the player was; he was from Michigan but it wasn't Henne or Manningham).
PaperMario4Brawl
Classics
hhorton513
What are Blasters? I buy some retail (the boxes for about $20 w/7 packs). I've had the best luck with 07-08 SP Rookie Edition Basketball (always get more than what I spent). Really, SP basketball in general.
MVPujols
I'd wait for Ginter smile.gif
ffman
QUOTE(hhorton513 @ Jul 29 2008, 08:16 AM)
What are Blasters?  I buy some retail (the boxes for about $20 w/7 packs).  I've had the best luck with 07-08 SP Rookie Edition Basketball (always get more than what I spent).  Really, SP basketball in general.

Those are blasters!
69madman69
I have bought blasters of both and I would say Ginter. The Classics are nice looking cards IMO and you get a few school colors and numbered cards, but I haven't hit anything GU in 5+ blasters. Oh I take that back I did hit a Matt Hasslebeck GU to 99. The collation is also horrendous. I think I pulled 5 Tavaris Jackson Base from one blaster. It is annoying as hell for a set builder! I might even suggest Topps Rookie Progression blasters if you really want football.

With Ginter you get great collation, lots of cool inserts and SPs and I have hit GU at a 1 per 2 blaster rate (Pujols jsy, Ichiro jsy and Roberts bat). I have also pulled some nice mini SPs (2 sharks, 2 aviation, 2 orange, and 1 world icon). Spectacular looking set! Even my wife enjoys ripping into A & G and that should say it all... blink.gif blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.