Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 2008 Donruss Elite
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
marcus42
I don't really like Elite this, I am thoroughly disappointed in the product this year.

Don't get me wrong, the design is nice, and the inserts are pretty good too, but why have base RC auto's? Elite is known for their RC's /599!!!

Ugh, and why include one autograph per box???? I can't remember how many they fell last year, but it seemed to do pretty well when it was released.

I'm for the first time in a long time disappointed in one of DLP's products.
Solid133
Well with how the hobby is now and all most collectors want is autographs that is why they added an auto per box. Therefore the whole product was watered down and most of the elite rookies don't have base rcs just base autos which is really disappointing. Collectors always complain about how everything is getting watered down but instead of taking action they just keep buying and buying and buying these products.
marcus42
yeah I've become a lot better in buying less of products, but still it disappointing people still complain but still buy.
Solid133
I still buy products to its hard not to when you love the hobby, but its frustrating that this is happening because all the people who want to hit the AP and Manning autos every box and can't just enjoy the break.

QUOTE(marcus42 @ Jun 17 2008, 10:15 PM)
yeah I've become a lot better in buying less of products, but still it disappointing people still complain but still buy.

marcus42
QUOTE(Solid133 @ Jun 17 2008, 11:21 PM)
I still buy products to its hard not to when you love the hobby, but its frustrating that this is happening because all the people who want to hit the AP and Manning autos every box and can't just enjoy the break.

exactly...I mean I'm opening a product to get a nice hit too, like everyone else...but why break up the tradition of the product? frustrating isn't it?

I loved Elite for their RC's to /599 and the die cuts, it was their bread and butter!
northicehero99
I have to agree, this was a disappointing product for me this year and I would not recommend it. I was not as disappointed about the increase in the numbering on rookies as I am about just the lack of overall value. Raising the numbering on the rookies hurt the overall value, but on top of that I felt my boxes were disappointing.

The best hits were a Marino jersey #/199 and a Peterson jersey #/100. My autos were so-so Doucet and Knight? (Giants 1st rnd pick). Aspiration of Wes Welker and Status of Dorian Bryant (Steeler pick biggrin.gif ), but the other gu were boring McGahee and cannot even remember the other one. The best rookie was S Slaton, the others I cannot remember. Was going to post my breaks and state my overall disappointment.

To me I think Prestige was a lot better value for the same money as Elite. Yes the rookies are un-numbered but at least you get something worthwhile in the box.
northicehero99
QUOTE(marcus42 @ Jun 17 2008, 10:39 PM)
I loved Elite for their RC's to /599 and the die cuts, it was their bread and butter!

Used to be the numbering was 499 before they raised it to 599. I could have seen another slight increase to 699 or 750 but a jump of 400 is crazy.
DiaperDandy
I remember the days of Beam Team inserts being the hottest things going...and they were mere cards...not memorabilia or autos....

degibson84
QUOTE(marcus42 @ Jun 17 2008, 10:15 PM)

i didn't break this last year due to the few packs i did buy looking horrible. so i figured i would give it a shot this year.

way over priced i got a better pull on single packs than i did my entire box. i could have bought another box of prestige for a lot less ending up with 1 more hit and a ton of low #ed parallels and inserts. the lowest #ed isert i pulled was an aspirations/97 other than my prime GU i pulled and that was/50 i thought that was very high for a TAG
degibson84
QUOTE(DiaperDandy @ Jun 18 2008, 07:58 AM)
I remember the days of Beam Team inserts being the hottest things going...and they were mere cards...not memorabilia or autos....

BEam Teams will be back this year biggrin.gif

they are also going to have autoed versions of it
DiaperDandy
I had no idea that they were coming back, I better start digging out my old ones as they will be vintage now smile.gif
Blitz 46
I was looking at getting a couple of boxes for my anniversary present off the wife and was thinking a box of Elte and a box of Prestige.

Would I be better going with 2 Prestige? or perhaps something else instead of the Elite?? huh.gif
marcus42
QUOTE(Blitz 46 @ Jun 18 2008, 12:12 PM)
I was looking at getting a couple of boxes for my anniversary present off the wife and was thinking a box of Elte and a box of Prestige.

Would I be better going with 2 Prestige? or perhaps something else instead of the Elite??  huh.gif

depending on when your anniversary is, I would maybe consider 08 classics! It looks really nice and you would have a good shot at some nice bears legends!

And cut auto's! a box of 08 classics and 08 prestige would do the trick!

good luck, and congrats on the anny!
northicehero99
QUOTE(Blitz 46 @ Jun 18 2008, 11:12 AM)

Would I be better going with 2 Prestige? or perhaps something else instead of the Elite??  huh.gif

A couple of members have hit it with McFadden /F Jones dual autos, but I was not impressed with my two boxes, especially after I looked up my autos. The autos were why I really bought the product and I did not expect a great one, but for what I paid and what mine were selling for it was disappointing. Prestige is much better as you get more rookies and more hits for the money IMO. And even the parallels were nice pulls so you got some value.
Blitz 46
Thanks guys. Anniversary is at beginning of July so want to order fairly soon because of the shipping. When does classics get released?
degibson84
QUOTE(Blitz 46 @ Jun 18 2008, 01:10 PM)
Thanks guys. Anniversary is at beginning of July so want to order fairly soon because of the shipping. When does classics get released?

Classics releases the first week of July i want to say they 2nd off the top of my head.

definetly go with Prestige and Classics unless you want to do two Prestige
Davz13
my biggest disappointment was how the die-cut was for the Status cards (I pulled 2 Status out of 2 boxes. I'm guessing Aspirations are cut the same way)

in the past they've been cut with cool angles and curves... cool.gif
this year, it is 4 simple boxes rolleyes.gif
PBamber16
I like the look of the base set and certain inserts, but have to agree that the increased print runs of the Rookies, no regular rookies just AU versions and the poor hits I've seen in You Tube box breaks; it hasn't been as good as I hoped!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.