Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: The eternal question: 2006 National Treasures
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
WestCoastSkinsFan
I've been setting aside some money for wax breaks when I do well at work. I've been on a hot streak, so I've got about $340 ready to go. After a bit of looking around, I noticed that DACardWorld has 2006 Playoff National Treasures boxes for under $280 (if I remember correctly).

Never having done any really high-end breaks, I've always been wondering about 06 NT. The cuts are alluring, plus you've got some big names (RCs and retired) that you can pull some high-end stuff for.

Edit: I want to buy these today, as DACardWorld has lower prices on Thursdays. It's between these two choices.

-06 Playoff NT and 07 Leaf Limited (9 hits, at least 4 autos)

or...

-07 Leaf Limited x2, 07 Donruss Classics, 07 Sweet Spot, 05 Longevity R&S (15 hits total, at least 5 autos)

This isn't so much about, "X is a bad box, I don't like that set", as I like all of the sets involved here.
If you were in my shoes, and you liked all of the sets involved, but it's just about more hits, versus fewer, possibly huger hits, what do you do?
Dillywill
Definantly some 07 Leaf Limited... that is what i am buying th minute i get my next pay check... 3 hits from a high end box for under a hundred bux.. you cant beat that!
tex333
I'd take the top. 06 NT is one of the best products of the last 5 years. Go big or dont go at all cool.gif
WestCoastSkinsFan
tex333 - Have you opened any yourself, out of curiosity?
tex333
QUOTE(WestCoastSkinsFan @ Jun 5 2008, 04:11 PM)
tex333 - Have you opened any yourself, out of curiosity?

I opened one box and didnt get very much. But the other guy in the shop who bought the last box in the case hit a Baugh cut auto/100. It's the luck of the draw, but there's one great hit in every case.
aceecards
06 was not as good as 07!

but if you must buy get a box ending in serial #6! wink.gif
WestCoastSkinsFan
aceecards - Why 07 over 06, out of curiosity? I've been more impressed from breaks I've seen of 06, but it's pretty limited in terms of what I've seen.
babybraves05
if you get the 2nd one, get throwback threads instead of LRS Longevity. Better quality hite IMO, but i would break for something 2004 or 2006 considering they have better RC Classes. Just my opinon. Good luck!
marcus42
QUOTE(WestCoastSkinsFan @ Jun 5 2008, 10:44 PM)
aceecards - Why 07 over 06, out of curiosity? I've been more impressed from breaks I've seen of 06, but it's pretty limited in terms of what I've seen.

Well I haven't opened any, but i've seen breaks of both years.

06- Great price, nice old timers, and some amazing hits...RC's are so so.

07- Expensive, still great old timers, and some awesome RC's (but NT isn't a RC product, it's a legends product).

The first option would be a quick thrill, but you could hit a pull of a lifetime, which would be enticing...

The second would be a fun break, plenty of packs, and you'd still have a shot at some nice hits, it would be tempting to do this one...

Though I'd go with the first, since I haven't had the opportunity to open National Treasures yet smile.gif

good luck!
WestCoastSkinsFan
QUOTE(babybraves05 @ Jun 6 2008, 10:21 AM)
if you get the 2nd one, get throwback threads instead of LRS Longevity. Better quality hite IMO, but i would break for something 2004 or 2006 considering they have better RC Classes. Just my opinon. Good luck!

I'm doing most of the boxes for specific reasons. With that one, I'm chasing my Amey collection.
babybraves05
aah, well 2005 Donruss Throwback Threads is a VERY nice product. If your player is in there, i would go with TT
aceecards
QUOTE(WestCoastSkinsFan @ Jun 5 2008, 09:44 PM)

Sam,

Although I love the rookie class in 06 a whole lot more than the class of 07.. I find the quality of veteran players (especially old time HOFers ) to be far better in 07!

07 includes the first relics of Tom Landry, bob waterfield, norm van brocklin just to name a few!

The cuts fell about 1 per 12 as oppsed to last years 1 per 24 (now cuts is a loosley defined term becuase many of them are still living like the singletary I got)

Having bought two cases of 06 and a little under 2 cases of 07 I can tell you from first hand experience 06 Blew from a veteran player standpoint which is predominantly what I collect!!!

Again for 07 get a serial number ending in 6!!
faulkrules
I have not opened either, but stylistically 07 looks a lot better to me (white instead of brown). Steve is right on the money...the checklist for 07 is much better vet/retired-wise. The rookies in 07 look TONS better, especially the on-card and on-patch ones. I would say inspect the checklists and print runs closely.
WestCoastSkinsFan
Thanks for the input, folks! I really appreciate the thought being put into this.

I think I'm going to have to agree in that 07 NT is likely a better box than 06 NT.

HOWEVER...

Is it so much better that you'd take 07 NT alone, above a box of 06 NT and, say, 07 Limited? The price difference is pretty big these days.
PaperMario4Brawl
I dont know i really like the 07 limited
WestCoastSkinsFan
Thread update! I'll be buying one of these choices today. Give your feedback! I need a hand on the decision.
Dauizdabest
go big or go home!

nat. treasures!
Blitz 46
What did you end up going for?
matty18
steve, why the serial #6?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.