Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Some sad news for the hobby
Collector Zone > Sports Cards > Golf
aceecards
UD will NOT be producing Golf cards this year and may never again..

apparently there contract is up with Tiger, and the PGA so they are scuttling all future golf plans..

How disheartening..

Maybe Donruss or ITG should pick up the golf contract if its just laying there..
jaxjaggywires
Interest in golf has fallen that quickly, to where they're not even renewing Tiger's deal? What a seemingly quick decline...
Tarasadie17
REALLY? I am very surprised... ohmy.gif
aceecards
Apparently Tiger wants too much money as does the PGA...

It wont be long before PGA
bufbillsstlcards
I dont really like golf, but it would be interesting to see Donruss branch into golf. They have got to be looking for somewhere else to expand.
ffman
That would be neat. Donruss loses baseball licensing, and decides to pick up UD's golf market.
Bondsaway
That would be suicide for Donruss! If Upper Deck can't meet their demands No way could Donruss! Plus I like Donruss and don't want to see another Fleer because of something as bad a gamble as golf cards!
aceecards
donruss issued golf cards in 81 and 82
Luke2411
Hmm, that's interesting. You know I really liked the introduction of the 8X10 autos. The photography on those was well done I thought. I wish they had carried that design over to the baseball and football 8X10s they did. I liked the full size 8X10 photos, not the way they added the section on the bottom half with the baseball, football, and basketball 8X10s.

Anyhow, I'll miss the golf 8X10s.
jaderock
Does that also mean the LPGA? Always wanted to collect some autos of the Ladies golfers but never got a chance.

aceecards
I didnt care for the 8x10's although I loved the photos.. just too easily damaged in that crappy packaging!
scottssportcentral
I think ITG might pick Golf up. Golf needs a Manufature that can bring the excitment to collecting Golf. I mean c'mon follow me, say golf, Golf. The word is boring by itself. UD Golf. BORING. Now if ITG decieds to pick it up imagine ITG of Golf. They will bring you as close as they can get from HOF to the early rising. Or how bout this ITG The Ultimate Golf Collection. Imagine pulling a redemmer for a Authentic Ball card Used by Tiger, an Acutall ball used by Tiger cut into 4 peices and having one peice per card. I think that would be just to awsome for me. Just think about it ITG has hockey and that is it (maybe football dont know). I think hockey would do extremly well with the GOLF.
DiaperDandy
It will be a challenge to get the collectors to come out for a lesser known brand....Collectors tend to rally around those that they know and those that they feel comfortable with....
Dillywill
i think in order for any of them to make money theyd need a huge marketing sceme such as what Topps did with trade barry!!!
gopackgo
Dang, I bet this means a sky rocket in golf card prices though.
randallcards
its golf blah!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(gopackgo @ May 18 2006, 09:52 PM)
Dang, I bet this means a sky rocket in golf card prices though.

The opposite will likely be true due to "out of site, out of mind".

-Bob
DiaperDandy
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ May 19 2006, 09:04 PM)
The opposite will likely be true due to "out of site, out of mind".

-Bob

Yeah, those 1977 Backgammon Quarterfinals cards just can't seem to get back to the quarter that I paid for them....

Ty
bufbillsstlcards
QUOTE(DiaperDandy @ May 19 2006, 09:16 PM)
Yeah, those 1977 Backgammon Quarterfinals cards just can't seem to get back to the quarter that I paid for them....

Ty

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.