Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: General Manager named for Collector Zone
Collector Zone > TCC Features > News and Announcements
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
bob_TCC
Beginning in January 2007 and continuing now, TradingCardCentral's Collector Zone has been growing at an incredibly fast pace on all fronts - members, topics and posts as well as collector-to-collector transactions. Along the way, I have worked directly with the entire TCC Team to determine the best ways to support our growth and provide quality service to each and every member. However, there have been periods of time where life's demands have made it difficult for me to provide the level of dedication that is needed to meet various expectations.

With another one of those periods expected soon, we have been taking additional steps to assure that we're able to meet the demands of the increased activity. For example, a number of members have been recently added to the Collector Zone, Content and Graphics, Membership and Programming teams. In addition to those changes, I'm pleased to announce that jethro_TCC (Jethro) will be immediately taking on the role of General Manager.

Jethro, my cousin, is an individual that I know very well and someone that has my complete and full trust. I am confident that he will be able to provide the level of attention and dedication that is required during this important time.

In this role, Jethro will be working directly with the members of the Collector Zone Team and the Membership Team as well as each of you to ensure that the TCC Collector Zone becomes and remains the leading forum for trading card collectors.

At the same time, this new structure will allow me to devote additional time to assist the Content and Graphics Team with the updating of various content sections of TCC including hobby headlines, articles, product reviews and more. I will also be able to devote additional time to assist the Programming Team with the implementation of a number of new features including integration of content powered by OpenChecklist.com.

While this is obviously a new approach, it is also a very exciting time for TCC and I am confident that Jethro and the entire TCC team are up to the task. I, like all of you, look forward to seeing where they lead the Collector Zone!

In order to guarantee that this new approach succeeds, Jethro and I felt that it was important for our members to get to know him better and to have the opportunity to interact with him directly. Therefore, there will be a special Trading Card Central LIVE event this evening. Here is information for that event:

Host: Jethro
Date: 4/1/08
Time: 10:45 PM EST

I will make a brief introduction this evening and then will simply turn the event over to Jethro. That way, all of you will have lots of time to get to know Jethro - including his interests and qualifications - and ask any and all questions that you might have about this change and the related transition.

We'll see you tonight!

-Bob

4/2/08 Update: For those that were not able to join the LIVE event last night, here are a couple of pictures so that you can associate a face with the name...

user posted image
Jethro with a Florida State Seminoles Box

user posted image
Jethro Head Shot (used in his profile)
thesobons
We all look forward to meeting Jethro and seeing the exciting things he has instore for the site.

Hopefully this doesn't meen we will be seeing much less of you Bob!
Luke2411
I look forward to meeting Jethro. I hope he has some 2005 Diamond Kings cards.
kooljazz1966
Neat..enjoy the deserved break from the normal grind Bob, This calls for some High end box breaking tonite....Will shoot for a case of something. You only live once right? Unless, you' re a Cat.

-Kjazzzzz
bob_TCC
QUOTE(thesobons @ Apr 1 2008, 02:17 PM)
Hopefully this doesn't meen we will be seeing much less of you Bob!

I should still be around a fair amount - most of the time. Besides, keep in mind that it's not about quantity - it's about quality. wink.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Luke2411 @ Apr 1 2008, 02:21 PM)
I hope he has some 2005 Diamond Kings cards.

I told him to make sure he brings some cards and he said he was bringing a box to open. So, we'll see what he brings!

-Bob
aceecards
sad.gif mad.gif

I believe this is often referred to as nepotism!

Andrew Jackson was guilty of it during his presidential term and now Bob_Tcc

For you to hire someone from outside the Company and over us loyable subjects and servants is just despicable.

I will be there but I will not have bells on!

dry.gif
Kiansdad
I remember when Jethro sent me those Bears cards just after I arrived here at TCC.. that was very cool of him. I hope you passed along my thanks to him.

It will be nice to put a name with a face.

Cant wait!
kooljazz1966
QUOTE(aceecards @ Apr 1 2008, 01:34 PM)
sad.gif  mad.gif

I believe this is often referred to as nepotism!

Andrew Jackson was guilty of it during his presidential term and now Bob_Tcc

For you to hire someone from outside the Company and over us loyable subjects and servants is just despicable.

dry.gif

group.gif afro.gif dj.gif
bob_TCC
QUOTE(aceecards @ Apr 1 2008, 02:34 PM)

Steve,

While I can understand your initial reaction, I would have preferred that you would have contacted me privately with any concerns. In any event, please just give this a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what Jethro brings to the table. wink.gif

-Bob
flea
apologise t jethro that I won't be there sad.gif too late on a work night. say HI
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Kiansdad @ Apr 1 2008, 02:35 PM)
I remember when Jethro sent me those Bears cards just after I arrived here at TCC.. that was very cool of him. I hope you passed along my thanks to him.

I'll let him respond directly later tonight. At the moment though, he should be somewhere between Knoxville, TN and Charleston, WV. He's driving up from Arkansas to spend the week in order to make sure that he fully understands how everything works.

-Bob
aceecards
why do I keep hearing two banjos playing in my head..

And Arkansas.. really??

Do you have such short term memory loss to not remember the last fearless leader our country had from Arkansas??

bob_TCC
QUOTE(aceecards @ Apr 1 2008, 02:50 PM)
And Arkansas.. really??

Do you have such short term memory loss to not remember the last fearless leader our country had from Arkansas??

Let's not paint all Americans from Arkansas with a broad brush. However, I will say that Jethro and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum.

-Bob
dualshock
Glad to hear you'll be getting some help Bob. I'll definitely try to be there for the event to meet Jethro.
sahetu
*raises an eyebrow*

lookaround.gif
hernant15
I'll try to stay awake and watch this event tonight.
urbanmonk
Congrats to the new GM, I'll be at work so go ahead and bombard him with questions for me wink.gif laugh.gif
ffman
I'll be glad to meet Jethro! I might have to stay up for the occasion tonight, although due to limitations on my computer I will only be able to watch (can't use the Ustream chat here).

hernant15
QUOTE(ffman @ Apr 1 2008, 04:39 PM)
I'll be glad to meet Jethro!  I might have to stay up for the occasion tonight, although due to limitations on my computer I will only be able to watch (can't use the Ustream chat here).

What's that Ustream chat thing? What do you need to use it?
ffman
QUOTE(hernant15 @ Apr 1 2008, 01:41 PM)

It's a video chat. My computer can view the video, but I guess my campus doesn't allow the computer port used for chat.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(hernant15 @ Apr 1 2008, 03:41 PM)

I'm not sure what the problem is that Cody is having, but you do need to create an account on Ustream.TV in order to take part in the chat related to the live video for this event.

-Bob
hernant15
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 1 2008, 04:43 PM)
I'm not sure what the problem is that Cody is having, but you do need to create an account on Ustream.TV in order to take part in the chat related to the live video for this event.

-Bob

Thanks both Bob and Cody; I'll see if I can create one for tonight.
ffman
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 1 2008, 01:43 PM)

-Bob

I'm not sure either. I thought maybe it would eventually work, but it doesn't.
skatalite
I'm not going to lie: I'm not very fond of this. This is the first time in my history of being with TCC that I feel very uneasy about something. I've had nearly 100 transactions, all of them have made me feel like a kid in a candy store compared to this.

Jethro might be a good guy, but how long until he begins wanting more power? Or begins abusing his power? What if he overhauls things completely? Would you agree with him?

I'm very uneasy about this move. I understand you need more personal time and you have a life outside of TCC, but does Jethro even know a dang thing about the hobby? Or about running a website?

I'm with Steve on this one. Don't expect my arms to be open for him when he arrives. And while I could've PMd you about this, I think the entire TCC has the right to know where people stand.
historian1974
His last name isn't Tull is it?

Sorry, couldn't resist....
Ilovetheheat
QUOTE(historian1974 @ Apr 1 2008, 03:52 PM)

PRICELESS.

Anyway, I hope everything works out okay. mellow.gif

Peace
Jeremy
bob_TCC
QUOTE(historian1974 @ Apr 1 2008, 03:52 PM)

No. He's from my side of the family, so his last name is Williams. wink.gif

skatalite,

I will respond to your concerns shortly, but need to head into a meeting for a little while first.

-Bob
19th Century Indiana Jones
Ah.... Just as I suspected.... There are always two - where it concerns the Sith.....
bob_TCC
QUOTE(skatalite @ Apr 1 2008, 03:48 PM)
I'm not going to lie: I'm not very fond of this. This is the first time in my history of being with TCC that I feel very uneasy about something. I've had nearly 100 transactions, all of them have made me feel like a kid in a candy store compared to this.

I totally understand how a change like this might cause some members to feel a little uneasy. However, it's a necessary change and one that we'll all look back on as a very positive event.

Jethro might be a good guy, but how long until he begins wanting more power? Or begins abusing his power? What if he overhauls things completely? Would you agree with him?

Trust me... Jethro is not motivated by power. In fact, one of his biggest concerns was that he might be too timid. I trust that he'll get over that though and will do just fine. In terms of changes, I'll still be remaining as President & CEO. Therefore, I will certainly have a say in any drastic changes to the way the site is operated. wink.gif

I'm very uneasy about this move. I understand you need more personal time and you have a life outside of TCC, but does Jethro even know a dang thing about the hobby? Or about running a website?

I'll let Jethro speak for himself later tonight - especially about his knowledge of the hobby, technology and more. In addition, I'm certain that he'll share additional information about his management experience.

I'm with Steve on this one. Don't expect my arms to be open for him when he arrives.

Again, I just ask that you give him and this change a chance. wink.gif

And while I could've PMd you about this, I think the entire TCC has the right to know where people stand.

Fair enough. I don't mind answering questions and I know that Jethro feels the same way.

-Bob
ffman
Here's my view, in short:

I was not thrilled to see that TCC would be seeing less of Bob, a person was has done an amazing job running TCC. I'm also a little concerned because Jethro does not know the histories and backgrounds of each of TCC's members like Bob does (post counts, transactions, and other statistics don't tell the entire story of a member).

However, I also feel that Bob deserves our trust. He DOES have a life beyond TCC, and I don't think he would do something to jeopardize this site or its members. Moreover, I would like for Jethro to feel welcome upon his arrival here at Trading Card Central.
hernant15
We should give him a chance, but let me ask this: If he liked the hobby and enjoyed it, why didn't he join the site before?
bob_TCC
QUOTE(ffman @ Apr 1 2008, 04:39 PM)
Here's my view, in short:

I was not thrilled to see that TCC would be seeing less of Bob, a person was has done an amazing job running TCC.  I'm also a little concerned because Jethro does not know the histories and backgrounds of each of TCC's members like Bob does (post counts, transactions, and other statistics don't tell the entire story of a member).

However, I also feel that Bob deserves our trust.  He DOES have a life beyond TCC, and I don't think he would do something to jeopardize this site or its members.  Moreover, I would like for Jethro to feel welcome upon his arrival here at Trading Card Central.

Thanks, Cody. Your positive feedback and reaction is appreciated. wink.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
QUOTE(hernant15 @ Apr 1 2008, 04:42 PM)
We should give him a chance, but let me ask this: If he liked the hobby and enjoyed it, why didn't he join the site before?

I'm not going to suggest that Jethro's interest in the hobby is as strong as mine, but I'm sure it will grow as he becomes more involved with this great community. Although, his wife is a little worried that his collection could become the size of mine in a short period of time. laugh.gif

In addition, his work has been very demanding in recent years. Due to a recent change in his work situation though, he has more time and was very open to helping at this time.

Sometimes, things just all seem to work out...

-Bob
hernant15
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 1 2008, 05:50 PM)
I'm not going to suggest that Jethro's interest in the hobby is as strong as mine, but I'm sure it will grow as he becomes more involved with this great community.  Although, his wife is a little worried that his collection could become the size of mine in a short period of time.  laugh.gif

In addition, his work has been very demanding in recent years.  Due to a recent change in his work situation though, he has more time and was very open to helping at this time.

Sometimes, things just all seem to work out...

-Bob

Ok, I just wanted to know. Let's wish him the best and give him the warm welcome that we give to every new member. Also, let's remember he is from Bob's family, he isn't a stranger. Maybe we should relax and give him the chance he deserves.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(hernant15 @ Apr 1 2008, 04:52 PM)
Ok, I just wanted to know. Let's wish him the best and give him the warm welcome that we give to every new member. Also, let's remember he is from Bob's family, he isn't a stranger. Maybe we should relax and give him the chance he deserves.

Thanks! wink.gif

Again, looking forward to seeing everyone tonight.

-Bob
Kmart6nets
Pfft some of us don't stay up that late. I'll catch the feedback tomorrow bright and early.
sahetu
QUOTE(Kmart6nets @ Apr 1 2008, 05:11 PM)
Pfft some of us don't stay up that late. I'll catch the feedback tomorrow bright and early.

Some of us may just avoid it completely.

pinch.gif
heatersgirl
What awesome news smile.gif Glad to know you're now passing some responsibility on to someone you trust Bob! I'm sure you need a break once in a while!
I will try to be there..will have to look for my bells however...
bob_TCC
QUOTE(heatersgirl @ Apr 1 2008, 05:43 PM)
I will try to be there..will have to look for my bells however...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks, Krista.

-Bob
Ilovetheheat
Here is my two cents..............

I think Bob should have promoted within!
With that being said Bob is the owner and makes all the calls.
I and none of you do!
Also, the new guy is in his family. I have seen this too many times and do not like it but understand it. If I owned a business and needed someone trustworthy to help run things, I would probaly ask a relative to help. It may not be ethically right but its life.

However, lets give the new guy the benefit of the doubt.......... for now.
This site is growing and Bob is only one guy.
Hopefully, he will give us more things to do and learn to delegate responsibilities.
Although there are several members on the TCC crew, we need to be given more/something to do.

Peace
Jeremy

BTW Bob, if you feel this is wrong just edit it blank. Sorry, if I out stepped my boundaries.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Ilovetheheat @ Apr 1 2008, 05:49 PM)
Also, the new guy is in his family. I have seen this too many times and do not like it but understand it. If I owned a business and needed someone trustworthy to help run things, I would probaly ask a relative to help. It may not be ethically right but its life.

I'm not sure where the ethical issue exists, but your opinion is as welcome as any other.

However, lets give the new guy the benefit of the doubt.......... for now.

That's all that has been asked for at this point. wink.gif

Hopefully, he will give us more things to do and learn to delegate responsibilities.
Although there are several members on the TCC crew, we need to be given more/something to do.

Let's hope that Jethro's management style is a good fit for all involved.

BTW Bob, if you feel this is wrong just edit it blank. Sorry, if I out stepped my boundaries.

I'm not one to edit someone's posts just because the content might make me feel uncomfortable. You have the right to voice an opinion and have done so. It was done in a civil manner, so it stands as written.

-Bob
bob_TCC
As a reminder...

In order to guarantee that this new approach succeeds, Jethro and I felt that it was important for our members to get to know him better and to have the opportunity to interact with him directly. Therefore, there will be a special Trading Card Central LIVE event this evening. Here is information for that event:

Host: Jethro
Date: 4/1/08
Time: 10:45 PM EST

I will make a brief introduction this evening and then will simply turn the event over to Jethro. That way, all of you will have lots of time to get to know Jethro - including his interests and qualifications - and ask any and all questions that you might have about this change and the related transition.

We'll see you tonight!

-Bob
thesobons
I am all for Bob devoting more time to family, but maybe not the Weight Loss contest biggrin.gif I want to win BTW.

I will wait and see how things go tonight...I will be open minded to the whole transition.

Look for my box break after Bob & Jethro are done. smile.gif
ffman
QUOTE(thesobons @ Apr 1 2008, 04:34 PM)
I will be open minded to the whole transition.

That's how I feel. I have my doubts like posted above, but gotta give Bob and Jethro a chance.

I'll try to be there; I sent Jethro a welcome message earlier. I won't be there for any box breakage though - that will be way past bedtime. laugh.gif
skatalite
I'm just afraid Jethro will find a way to abuse TCC and use it as a money-making scheme rather than a site devoted to hobbyists.

I'll be sure to address this with Jethro tonight. He better have his dancing shoes on.
bob_TCC
Thanks, Cody and Robert. wink.gif

Time to start my commute as well as find out how close Jethro is to Ohio at this point. I'm hoping we have some time to eat dinner and discuss a few things before tonight's event.

-Bob
aceecards
Nepotism I tell ya.. nepotism!!

Ive worked my whole life for family owned and operated companies.. Im used to siblings etc being involved..but in all cases they worked their way up from the ground floor to earn their stripes..

Here's a guy with zero posts coming to lead us to the promised land.

There should have been clear lines of succession created , as with all family enterprises.. This simply sounds like a case of burnout!

Now my love and genuine respect for Bob is unflappable and I can fully understand the need for time away...

BUT My faith in the Teams abilities set forth here is 110% in accomplishing Bob's mission to be the greatest family oriented trading card forum on all the internet!

Instead we gotta bring in some "clampett" who's claim to fame may be hand weaving coonskin caps and playing a two string banjo on his deck with a 1969 Chevy Impala up on blocks in front of his mobil home.

Sorry for the scathing criticism.I had a rough commute home!

snkpoct137
hey bob you and jethro are gonna be in the picture at the same time right wink.gif

the way i see it, considering you chose THIS DAY to announce it, your "cousin" will be you with a fake beard and mustache laugh.gif

good try though!
skatalite
QUOTE(aceecards @ Apr 1 2008, 05:54 PM)
Nepotism I tell ya.. nepotism!!

Ive worked my whole life for family owned and operated companies.. Im used to siblings etc being involved..but in all cases they worked their way up from the ground floor to earn their stripes..

Here's a guy with zero posts coming to lead us to the promised land.

There should have been clear lines of succession created , as with all family enterprises.. This simply sounds like a case of burnout!

Now my love and genuine respect for Bob is unflappable and I can fully understand the need for time away...

BUT My faith in the Teams abilities set forth here is 110% in accomplishing Bob's mission to be the greatest family oriented trading card forum on all the internet!

Instead we gotta bring in some "clampett" who's claim to fame may be hand weaving coonskin caps and playing a two string banjo on his deck with a 1969 Chevy Impala up on blocks in front of his mobil home.

Sorry for the scathing criticism.I had a rough commute home!

Without the colorful similes... I wholeheartedly agree.

Look guys, it's not that anyone feels "cheated" out of the chance to run or help run TCC, but the fact is we know absolutely nothing about this Jethro guy. We all trust Bob's judgment, but there comes a time when even the most sane leaders act questionably.

Jethro won't get a warm welcome from me, regardless of what he says or promises to do. This is the worst idea in the long history of bad ideas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.