Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: What do you NOT like about this hobby?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
ffman
In the other thread I created today (What do you like about this hobby?), Daze_fan posted quite a few things his do not like about the hobby. And, many of them were valid complaints. While many things make this hobby wonderful, many negatives do exist which take away from the experience.

So, here's a topic for members to express what they do not enjoy about this hobby. TCC: What do you NOT enjoy about this hobby?

For me:

1. Over-use of the 1/1 label. For example, I can't stand eBay items, trading topics, etc that label a card a '1/1' when it is not.

2. Impatient traders. This includes collectors who post a trade/sell topic, only to 'bump' it 15 minutes later asking 'NO WANTS THIS??!!?', etc.

3. Collectors who do not appreciate another person's generosity.

4. Redemptions. If a card company cannot deliver a card, it should not promise it to collectors.

chopinalex
I dont like buying a 100 dollar box and getting lots of base...aka upper deck..at least with topps/donruss you get short prints..
mvpujols#5
5. Redemptions

4.1/1s

3.People Who want more than what the BV is, For Ex: A Cabrera auto BV 40, they want BV 60 Because Cabrera is an all star or somthing

2. People who dont have ALL of there PC in there PC collection, and then you ask for it and they say it is PC. For EX: I want a Cabrera auto that is in Baseball FT section of a bucket, and when i ask for it, They say it is in the PC, Well they should put it in the PC collection Album

1. The Over Use of High End on a Baseball, football, or Basketball Single, It is ok if they say the Box is high end, that doesnt bother me, but what bothers me is when they say a Not Very good Card is High End just because it came out of a High End Product, For Example: A Marcus Giles Auto, or a Sena Casey auto out is pulled out of Ultimate, and it books 30-40 at the Most, Is that high end.
BaseballCollector
Way too expensive and usually (ex. Upper Deck) not worth the money.
STLcardinals888
~collectors that don't take the time to try and make a deal.
~When the boxes say X amout of hits on average
~People selling cards on ebay that are rude and have do idea what the card is worth.
~Too many high-end products because you can't find anything for less than 40
~Card vaule fluxuations
ffman
Oh, a high-end peeve:

- High-end products that contain 'hits' of common players.
chopinalex
This is my grip of baseball and why i probably will not buy it anymore..baseball is the king of whozits..take football+basketball whozits and multiply it by 10 and you have baseball whozits!!..
STLcardinals888
QUOTE(ffman @ Jan 21 2008, 06:53 PM)
Oh, a high-end peeve:

- High-end products that contain 'hits' of common players.

Like Black dry.gif tongue.gif
ffman
QUOTE(STLcardinals888 @ Jan 21 2008, 05:58 PM)
Like Black dry.gif  tongue.gif

That was one of the sets I thought of.

No offense to the player, but who wants to pull a Melvin Mora autograph out of a $200+ product?
chopinalex
QUOTE(ffman @ Jan 21 2008, 06:00 PM)
That was one of the sets I thought of.

No offense to the player, but who wants to pull a Melvin Mora autograph out of a $200+ product?

Welcome to the world of baseball whozits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
skatalite
The death of the masterpiece.

Lack of low-end products for children.

Expensive products with sticker autographs.

Expensive products flooded with GUs of players no longer in the league.
mvpujols#5
QUOTE(skatalite @ Jan 21 2008, 06:02 PM)
The death of the masterpiece.

Lack of low-end products for children.

Expensive products with sticker autographs.

Expensive products flooded with GUs of players no longer in the league.

Thanks Richard For Pointing that out.

Because today i had to spend 95 BUCKS worth of my Christmas Money at the card shop, for nothing good except a PC auto, So i wish they would come back out with like a Product that has nice GU, but is kinda cheap.
Daze_fan
Just to post me thought from the other thread here, and a few more.

People who use the words "Hit" and "Come strong" and ESPECIALLY '56K/DIAL UP BEWARE!!!".. I have dial-up, i never have a problem with scan(s) loading

People who complain they got nothing out of a box.. Umm, you got a bunch of cards, dont say you got nothing because you did'nt get something you can profit off of.
Dont like it, dont buy it anymore

people who only want GU and auto, only to have them complain that Gu are garbage.

people that wont tyrade you one of two cards because it's not worthwhile for them to waste the postage.

( on a side note.... I see a few here that state they wont trade if it's under an X amount, well those are the greedy people out to make a buck if they are too cheap to spend a 1.38

People that do not read the entire post and ask you stupid questions.. I.E.
1. Will not break up... " I only need the XXXX card"
2. Please check my bucket or site... "what are you looking for?"
3. FS ... "would you trade it?"

People who have a card you need, and try to hold it hostage from you because you show interest. You know, you need a card for a set, someone has it, they want extra for it, or want to make a larger trade because they want something 10X's it's value.

I could go on and on.

RGBII
Donruss, Leaf & Playoff not having their license reinstated IMMEDIATELY!
Collect Hard!,
RGBII
ffman
QUOTE(RGBII @ Jan 21 2008, 06:11 PM)
Donruss, Leaf & Playoff not having their license reinstated IMMEDIATELY!
Collect Hard!,
RGBII

Oh yeah....that's a good one.
chopinalex
ya thats true..if donruss still was doing baseball i would still be buying it..
BoxBreaker44
Xfractor Lines

mad.gif

Makes every xfractor ungradeable
marcus42
1- Redemptions...I don't really need to go in depth there.

2- Overproduction- Mainly of autographs now a days.

3- The way the hobby has gone from a set building focus, to the big hit 'investment' hobby.

4- No DLP in major league baseball!!!!
19th Century Indiana Jones
Overproduction of what was once rare: used to be a treat to get an autographed card because they were so rare. Now they are everywhere.

Graded NEW cards: people who grade spanking brand new cards and receiving a Gem Mint grade on it and thinking it's worth many times more than what is booked because of the grade. Puh-LEEZE!!! Today's cards are manufactured AS PERFECT already! I dare anyone to crack that graded card out of its case and mix it up with the exact same cards that were just opened from packs and see if they can pull the exact one that was already graded.

"Semistar and used-to-be-somebody-from-before-but-has-no-more-potential for trade - but only in exchange for today's hottest superstar autograph": who are you kidding? If you want the guys on the Hot List that EVERYBODY and their mother wants, then you'd better come stronger than that.

Investment advice on pieces of cardboard: think about it, it's just cardboard.

"Come strong": they usually request that of weak cards they are trying to dump. Okay, semi-weak since a lot of times it is a superstar depicted on the card, albeit a much lower-end card of the upper echelon.

Ebay shillers

For now.....
ffman
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Jan 21 2008, 08:56 PM)
Today's cards are manufactured AS PERFECT already!

But many aren't pulled in perfect condition. Numerous sets are dinged out of the pack (2007 Topps football for me, Turkey Red, etc) plus centering can be a large problem when grading 'new' cards.
tex333
Upper Deck.
QUOTE(ffman @ Jan 21 2008, 10:01 PM)
But many aren't pulled in perfect condition.  Numerous sets are dinged out of the pack (2007 Topps football for me, Turkey Red, etc) plus centering can be a large problem when grading 'new' cards.

Most are still pulled out of packs with the same care as handling plutomium. Almost none are flipped or put in bicycle spokes today. There is no longer attrition.
ffman
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Jan 21 2008, 09:15 PM)
Most are still pulled out of packs with the same care as handling plutomium. Almost none are flipped or put in bicycle spokes today. There is no longer attrition.

Touche.
mvpujols#5
QUOTE(tex333 @ Jan 21 2008, 09:09 PM)
Upper Deck.

laugh.gif AMEN To That clapping.gif thumbsup.gif thumbup.gif notworthy.gif
mvpujols#5
QUOTE(ffman @ Jan 21 2008, 09:21 PM)
Touche.

Huh? huh.gif
ffman
QUOTE(mvpujols#5 @ Jan 21 2008, 09:23 PM)
Huh?  huh.gif

Basically - good argument to my post.
Daze_fan
QUOTE(mvpujols#5 @ Jan 21 2008, 07:04 PM)

Because today i had to spend 95 BUCKS worth of my Christmas Money at the card shop

You HAD to?
Did someone force you to buy anything?

This is what I'm talking about. You did'nt HAVE TO.. you wanted to, so dont complain you did'nt get anything good.
next time, save the time and buy a lottery ticket , scratching is faster and you'll get the same result.
BagwellFan25
1. Prices are too high.

2. Some shop owners are jerks.

3. GU's are no longer a rare item. I remember when I pulled my first GU, a 2000 Upper Deck Rookie Threads Travis Henry GU. WOW!!! Now, that stupid thing can probably be bought for $0.50.

All of these and more have already been mentioned so I will refrain from continuing on a rant.

Good topic, by the way.
tex333
QUOTE(Daze_fan @ Jan 21 2008, 09:26 PM)
You HAD to?

This is what I'm talking about. You did'nt HAVE TO.. you wanted to, so dont complain you did'nt get anything good.
next time, save the time and buy a lottery ticket , scratching is faster and you'll get the same result.

Unless he got a giftcard..
QUOTE(tex333 @ Jan 21 2008, 10:30 PM)
Unless he got a giftcard..

Or that thing they call MOJO.
crazygood
QUOTE(mvpujols#5 @ Jan 21 2008, 09:23 PM)
Huh?  huh.gif

he said you have a nice touche.
RGBII
INVESTORS
Vile, Reptilean, vicious profiteers!
Granted, they've been around awhile, but the numbers these days are disconcerting.
I've seen people walk into the store and ask me what it takes to get a distibutors license from Topps, Upper Deck, etc. with the sole intention of selling the product for 4x what it's worth.
You may want to call them entrepeneurs, wily businessmen or capitalists. I call them filth. They sully my hobby, they waste my time and I wish vicious curses upon their pets.
Collect Hard!,
RGBII
vicsten
- The kids, for many years now, are being squeezed out of the hobby because of the card prices. (Ha! Some adults like me for that matter. tongue.gif ) Actually I think it's a shame that they have created most products for just those with deep pockets.

- I don't like to see so much emphasis placed on book values. I get it. I also, when I began collecting, was stuck on Beckett. Didn't make a move without checking it out first. What I learned of course was that most of today's top stars will drop like a rock when "their time has passed." I wish I could see more people go after what they really want, but doing it out of desire for a certain item rather than placing so much emphasis on how much they're getting vs. how much they'll give away for it.

- "I third that" -Upper Deck!

-I dislike what seems to be such a blurry line between the business and the hobby by so many.

beanschat
I'm on the flip side of mvpujols...

People who put everything decent into PC. I list some nice cards on my trade lists, but when someone has an interest in my nice $30 cards, I look at their trade list and they have 50+ $10 items, and nothing better...I know you have better..open it up!

redemptions

getting shorted on cards in packs...

lack of fluctuation in values...Beckett sets a value on a card and in most cases it doesn't move for 10 years....hogwash.

DONRUSS NOT HAVING A MLB LICENSE!!
vicsten
QUOTE(Daze_fan @ Jan 21 2008, 10:26 PM)
You HAD to?

Respectfully Jeff, I want to ask you why you sound so angry? I don't believe MV feels like anyone made him buy a 95. box. I believe he was showing his disappointment over what he received for the 95. he spent. Everyone realizes the risk they take when buying card boxes OR lottery tickets. What I believe though, is that the hobby has a responsibility to do better in seeing that if someone does spend that amount for their product, then they should be left with a good feeling (not a woohoo MOJO moment each time because that would get boring tongue.gif ) after the wrappers have been strewn all over the place. As far as I know there isn't a lottery collecting site (though it wouldn't surprise me) but that is a gamble. Card collecting is a hobby and I just think alot of changes could be made to make it more enjoyable for many. Perhaps you could step away from the hobby for a time and maybe you could rediscover some of that joy somewhere down the road. Believe me, I and many others I know have done so. But my goodness- if it gets that bad for someone as it seems to have for you, then maybe you could search out another hobby that could bring you joy. After all, isn't that why we all do it? Again, be aware that I am not writing this to give you a hard time. I'm just trying to understand. -Vickie
mvpujols#5
QUOTE(crazygood @ Jan 21 2008, 09:33 PM)
he said you have a nice touche.

laugh.gif laugh.gif Thats Not Funny biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
mvpujols#5
QUOTE(Daze_fan @ Jan 21 2008, 09:26 PM)
You HAD to?

huh.gif blink.gif Im 12 Years old wink.gif
aceecards
people who collect for the wrong reasons!

Its a hobby , if you wanna play the stock market , go to etrade!
aceecards
sorry, that what my boy RGB said earlier.

I guess the real collectors have stood up and spoken hey?
mvpujols#5
QUOTE(vicsten @ Jan 21 2008, 09:48 PM)
Respectfully Jeff, I want to ask you why you sound so angry? I don't believe MV feels like anyone made him buy a 95. box. I believe he was showing his disappointment over what he received for the 95. he spent. Everyone realizes the risk they take when buying card boxes OR lottery tickets. What I believe though, is that the hobby has a responsibility to do better in seeing that if someone does spend that amount for their product, then they should be left with a good feeling (not a woohoo MOJO moment each time because that would get boring  tongue.gif ) after the wrappers have been strewn all over the place. As far as I know there isn't a lottery collecting site (though it wouldn't surprise me) but that is a gamble. Card collecting is a hobby and I just think alot of changes could be made to make it more enjoyable for many. Perhaps you could step away from the hobby for a time and maybe you could rediscover some of that joy somewhere down the road. Believe me, I and many others I know have done so. But my goodness- if it gets that bad for someone as it seems to have for you, then maybe you could search out another hobby that could bring you joy. After all, isn't that why we all do it? Again, be aware that I am not writing this to give you a hard time. I'm just trying to understand. -Vickie

Thank You Vickie wink.gif

Also, all i was Saying is that i went and spent 95$ Worth of my money on cards becaus eof the Price of the Packs/boxes are High, So many 'Hobby' Packs/Boxes Are like $75+ So it is Kinda hard not to be dissapointed if you dont pull anything "good" out of a 40$ pack and 2 15$ Packs that Garuntee 'MOJO'.
RGBII
QUOTE(aceecards @ Jan 21 2008, 11:02 PM)
people who collect for the wrong reasons!

Its a hobby , if you wanna play the stock market , go to etrade!

There ya' go. Well put!!
Collect Hard!,
RGBII
aka spider
What i Don't like about this hobby is

The Hot Packs Thingy
Pack Searchers
Sticker auto
Upper deck being so cheap.
It keeps on going... smile.gif
marcus42
It doesn't bother me so much when people say they found something they like for an investment piece, but if that is their sole reason for going into the hobby, please make an quick exit from the COLLECTOR zone wink.gif.
Daze_fan
QUOTE(vicsten @ Jan 21 2008, 10:48 PM)
Respectfully Jeff, I want to ask you why you sound so angry? I don't believe MV feels like anyone made him buy a 95. box. I believe he was showing his disappointment over what he received for the 95. he spent. Everyone realizes the risk they take when buying card boxes OR lottery tickets. What I believe though, is that the hobby has a responsibility to do better in seeing that if someone does spend that amount for their product, then they should be left with a good feeling (not a woohoo MOJO moment each time because that would get boring  tongue.gif ) after the wrappers have been strewn all over the place. As far as I know there isn't a lottery collecting site (though it wouldn't surprise me) but that is a gamble. Card collecting is a hobby and I just think alot of changes could be made to make it more enjoyable for many. Perhaps you could step away from the hobby for a time and maybe you could rediscover some of that joy somewhere down the road. Believe me, I and many others I know have done so. But my goodness- if it gets that bad for someone as it seems to have for you, then maybe you could search out another hobby that could bring you joy. After all, isn't that why we all do it? Again, be aware that I am not writing this to give you a hard time. I'm just trying to understand. -Vickie

No offence take n to your thoughts.. he plainly lets us know that he is 12 years old.. well, at 12, he's in the hobby for the wrong reason if he's already complaning he did'nt get anything good.

You say changes are needed in he hobby, I agree, but, WE have to make the changes, the Companies have all jaded us with the possibility of getting something fabulous that everyone else can envy or we may be able to sell on ebay for 3 x's what the box cost us.

I'm not angry, I'm just tired of people complainign they did'nt get anythign out of a box, just because they dotn like the cards they received.
Melvin mora or other.

jaderock
QUOTE(ffman @ Jan 21 2008, 04:42 PM)

So, here's a topic for members to express what they do not enjoy about this hobby.  TCC:  What do you NOT enjoy about this hobby?

Not sure way...but what I dislike about the hobby is so much easier to think of!!

For me, it's:

1. People who package cards with no regards to common sense/understanding of "handling" by USPS.

2. People holding certain collectors "hostage" just because they think they can.

3. People who trade and state "must be in my favor"

4. The constant fairy tales (con stories) that are made up in regards to where/how/when something "rare" was obtained.

5. The interesting hobby of "creating" worthless COAs!!!!!!!

6. The shadiness of Grading companies including authenticating trimmed/altered cards, wrong signatures, etc

7. The unwillingness of companies to protect the comsumers of "patch faking". They've created anti counterfeiting steps but for them only while the collectors are still left stratching our heads of deciphiring "real" or "fake".
jaderock
Also dislike...LESS competition which had made "innovation and creativity" at a stand still
RGBII
QUOTE(marcus42 @ Jan 21 2008, 11:08 PM)
It doesn't bother me so much when people say they found something they like for an investment piece, but if that is their sole reason for going into the hobby, please make an quick exit from the COLLECTOR zone wink.gif.

Agreed. I hold myself to a much higher standard! I am a COLLECTOR, today, tomorrow and forever.
My investment is my passion, no more-no less.
Collect Hard!,
RGBII
vicsten
I sure understand where you're coming from Jeff. Landon will unfortunately experience, as time passes for him, the same feelings that others feel as they move along in the hobby. I believe it would be fair to say that all the things that encompass everyone's reasonings in this thread is due to much greed etc. The fun part to me though after having done it for so long is the things we can help teach Landon as he goes along, and hopefully he will then be able to do the same for others when us old buggers fade out. tongue.gif biggrin.gif (No names mentioned R and A uh... sorry!) smile.gif
mvpujols#5
QUOTE(Daze_fan @ Jan 21 2008, 10:08 PM)
No offence take n to your thoughts.. he plainly lets us know that he is 12 years old.. well, at 12, he's in the hobby for the wrong reason if he's already complaning he did'nt get anything good.

rolleyes.gif What ever

You Should be happy that i am Actually here having a hobby, and not out on the Streets Doing drugs, and shooting people, and glad to Help Me learn to be a better collector.

And Yes i am Actually Glad Now that i bought those packs, i turned the RC Auto of Jeff Rowe into a PC Peice, and Now i am GOing to Start Building a Collection of him.

And, Honestly I could Care Less About What you Think, Im Sorry if i am Rude.

Man i am Collecting Baseball, Football, and Basketball Cards for a Hobby. Not to Set around here Arguing with you. Again I dont Care What you think, and i Have my own Reasons for collecting.
Daze_fan
I should rephrase.. "did'nt get anything good.

"didn't get what I wanted or hoped for"

I don't open new product, so I don't know the feeling, but... for example...
When someone complains they payed 200.00 for a box, received the suggested inserts they were supposed to get, why are they upset that they got a 1 color patch of lance berkman and a gu of todd hundley?
There is no guarantee of getting the elusive patch of the hottest star out there or the biggest rookie.
If all product only comtained all theose type of cards, there would only be the 25-50 buck packs .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.