Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: What do you enjoy the most about this hobby?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ffman
I saw a similar topic on a different board, and I'm eager to hear responses from fellow TCCers.

What do you enjoy the most about this hobby?

For me, it's the thrill of getting a nice pack pull and interacting with other collectors.
nameant
Well, I love the trading part of it. Interacting with generous members who WANT to help your collection and being able to contribute to other people's collections is great. It just gives me a good feeling.

Like you said, the thrill of pulling something you want is great as well.

I dunno exactly what it is about the hobby, I just love collecting cards. I have since I was a child.
snowblink
Being able to swap junk I don't care for, for other junk I do care for. laugh.gif

These days it seems that what I'm looking for is like a treasure hunt.
So when I find it I get a most excellent feeling.
Arr Matey pirate.gif
crazygood
paying $120 for $25 in goods. i really love it. makes me feel nice and fuzzy.
skatalite
The infectious generosity.
aceecards
a few of my favorite things...

"Raindrops on roses..." NO NO NO NO!!

tongue.gif laugh.gif dry.gif

5. Going thru a box of commons from 04-05 and finding 3 Carey Price rookies!

4. Buying a Box/opening it and getting the EXACT card i wanted!

3. Trading for the exact card I wanted no matter what the cost!

2. Completing a set!

and the number 1 reason I love this hobby..

It is a way to "touch" my great passion for sports and interact with a community of similar minded individuals. It is my #1 leisure time activity.. kind of my "Calgon take me away moment" ! rolleyes.gif wink.gif
19th Century Indiana Jones
I get to make my own rules on what and how I collect.
QUOTE(crazygood @ Jan 21 2008, 12:02 PM)
paying $120 for $25 in goods. i really love it. makes me feel nice and fuzzy.

But that's pretty much everywhere you go. Especially if you are talking about cable service. smile.gif
Hallsgator
Getting new J.P. Arencibia cards and making a profit of prospects. I also love seeing people show off high-end cards that I will never get to see again.
ffman
QUOTE(skatalite @ Jan 21 2008, 11:03 AM)
The infectious generosity.

Can't forget that!

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jan 21 2008, 11:08 AM)

To add to #5: Buying a binder for $35 and finding near 20X the book value inside!

urbanmonk

Going thru my old "higher value" box and finding guys that not worth the $90 a ton recycle rate for cardboard laugh.gif Marinovich and the like, but brings back the old days, and keeps me in perspective when others are chasing "who's hot" at this current time frame, hindsight always 20/20.

But seriously

1. I enjoy pulling a sweet card out of a pack or box, makes me feel like a kid again or in some cases like I won on a lottery ticket. Like when I pull an AU, even if it's not a current hot player or when I pull a sweet looking GU card (those RPMs are sweet, not sure what it is about them but they like eye candy to me laugh.gif )

2. Love this site as I can trade for players I want for players I don't want (or in some cases players I never heard of that someone wants for vice versa).

3. The feeling of an "extended family" that TCC has given me, that adds to the hobby for me (I probably wouldn't have got back into the hobby if I hadn't found this site).

4. Having a closet of cards that I can spend hours getting lost in and still not have any idea what I really have in there, though got some of the listed RCs pulled out of my duplicate boxes in FB over the last few weeks, found a few over 20BV so that was just like a pack pull with those smile.gif (blast from the past)

snowblink
QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Jan 21 2008, 10:55 AM)
4.  Having a closet of cards that I can spend hours getting lost in and still not have any idea what I really have in there, ...

Well, when Dwight doesn't show for a few days we now have an inkling of what might have transpired laugh.gif
tex333
The chase for cards I want, and meeting all the amazing people I've been blessed with meeting on TCC.
madman20
i like being able to get a piece of one of my favorite players game worn materials and his autograph.....when you pull PC out of a box or pack its awsome!!
Daze_fan
I honestly like nothing in this hobby anymore.

The overpriced garbage the companies put out now.
The Asinine people that think they are better than you because of what they have.
People who use Gimmick words now, I.E "hit", "Come Strong"
Seeing a post from someon 2 minutes after you posted saying they did'nt see anythign they could use, when it's obvious they did'nt look at your bucket or site.
The back stabbing that happenes alot more than everyone will admit too.
Someone that thinks because a card is older than them its gotta be worth a ton.
People who complain that GU are junk, but only want those in return.

Not to sound like a whinner or bitter, but the hobby stinks, and is just gonna get worse.
Hopefully I can finish the few sets a have to do and get out.

STLcardinals888
I like building up my collection and seeing it grow.
mvpujols#5
5.Getting That Great Pakc Pull!
4.Using Some Christmas And Birthday money to buy boxes or packs.
3. I LOVE being on TCC!
2.Helping People With there Collections
1.Being able to go to another persons house and look at and trade for there cards Like Me and ffman do.

Oh and Helping a Smaller Child get into the Hobby, Like ffman Did with me and Like me and ffman did with one of our little friends, i gave him an auto and a GU, and ffman Gave him an auto and GU, he is like 10 or 11, and as ffmans Mom Says, "Yall Created a Monster" laugh.gif
QUOTE(Daze_fan @ Jan 21 2008, 06:23 PM)
I honestly like nothing in this hobby anymore.

The overpriceD garbage the companies put out now.
The Asinine people that think they are better than you because of what they have.
People who use Gimmick words now, I.E "hit", "Come Strong"
Seeing a post from someon 2 minutes after you posted saying they did'nt see anythign they could use, when it's obvious they did'nt look at your bucket or site.
The back stabbing that happenes alot more than everyone will admit too.
Someone that things because a cad is older than them its; gott abe worth a ton.
Not to sound like a whinner, but the hobby stinks, and is just gonna get worse.
Hopefully I can finish  the few sets a have to do and get out.

You forgot to add the overuse/misuse/abuse of the term 'high-end'. smile.gif
psupuz31
My favorite part of the hobby is being able to make an awesome Penn State collection and also sending cards of for TTM autographs!
chopinalex
it keeps me busy when im bored....but nothing beats a thrill when you pull a nice card or when you get some key card for a set..
ffman
Daze_fan did bring up good points regarding negative features of the hobby. I created another topic for the opposite end of the spectrum.

What do you NOT like about this hobby?
chopinalex
I enjoy seeing people break boxes and are truly happy with something they got..

I enjoy meeting people from all aspects of life in the cardworld...sites/card shows/card shops

RGBII
Gettin' a new collector hooked, that all-too-familiar glaze in the eyes.
Collect Hard!,
RGBII
satchels32
keeps me out of trouble and creates happiness although i dont know why
marcus42
I enjoy...

1- The thrill of opening packs, and pulling the ever elusive PC pull.

2- Trading, and discussing the hobby on TCC.

I'm sure there's more, but I love those two things a lot!

crazygood
for me it's probably reading the backs of base cards. everyone i know thinks im some kind of football genius because i know which college most players went to, statistics and information on late round 3rd stringers. mostly because of reading the backs of football cards.
marcus42
QUOTE(crazygood @ Jan 21 2008, 08:41 PM)
for me it's probably reading the backs of base cards. everyone i know thinks im some kind of football genius because i know which college most players went to, statistics and information on late round 3rd stringers. mostly because of reading the backs of football cards.

ditto on the reading...not the genius part...it's why we have trading cards in the first place! to learn about the players!
crazygood
hahaha...i'm certainly no genius. i just know more worthless football information than the people around me.

*adjusts glasses and makes the universal MAHHHH nerd sound*
Bill Latham
My favorite part is trying too re-establish it after 3/4 of it was stolen from my basement 5 years ago, >> also the High>> some smoke crack, some skydive, some bungee jump,,, I break boxes and bust packs!! biggrin.gif
vicsten
I enjoy the diversion from the normal activities of everyday life. I enjoy all the great people I've been able to meet along the way. I enjoy the chase. I enjoy large card shows. -Vickie
The 5 best pieces of hobby advice I was given:
1. Collect with a specific focus in mind; it would help more in building a meaningful collection and prevent meaningless clutter.
2. If you are after a value-only collection and aesthetics are secondary, then it would be prudent to only go after the higher-dollar cards.
3. Do your own research (e.g. I see a trend that the sticker AU is becoming more commonplace than the on-card AU)
4. Never tell everything you know.
jaderock
QUOTE(ffman @ Jan 21 2008, 09:51 AM)
I saw a similar topic on a different board

What are you doing on another SITE!!!!!!! You have been reported to Bob!!!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

---

Great question! That's a loaded question, that sounds easy on the surface, but one that made me think AND I have yet to have an answer...am I in the right hobby, then?!? ohmy.gif
jaderock
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Jan 21 2008, 08:41 PM)
4. Never tell everything you know

Why not?!? Information/knowledge is power...unless you want all of the power!?! smile.gif
snowblink
People sharing pics of a nice card that I may not have seen before.
ffman
Thanks for pinning this topic to whoever did. laugh.gif

Let's get more feedback in here. By the looks of my other topic it seems we are all dwelling on the negative rather than the positive.
dodgerblue38501
Things I enjoy about this hobby:

1) Watching a father pass his love of sports on to his son or daughter and tell them about the good 'ol days of sports as they gaze into my vintage showcase at the shop.

2)Watching customers bust packs and get a great pull that makes them happy.

3)Meeting all the great folks here on TCC that share my love of sports and who have taught me that people still exist that collect because they love it and not because they stand to profit from it.
ffman
Other things I enjoy:

1. Watching other collectors acquire a card they really enjoy and appreciate, either through trading or a box/pack.

2. Helping another collector expand his collection.
jaderock
What I like...dedicated hardcore set/player collectors
ffman
QUOTE(jaderock @ Jan 22 2008, 04:30 PM)
What I like...dedicated hardcore set/player collectors

What I like....browsing the collections of those dedicated hardcore set/player collectors. smile.gif
PBamber16
For me I like this hobby for a number of reasons:
1. You get to spend more time looking at, and talking about sport's.
2. The thrill and excitment when you find a card up here on TCC or on ebay you've been looking for, for ages.
3. The satisfaction of completing a set.
4. Meeting some great people.
What I enjoy about the hobby is....

I think I found a possible future trend (something that is getting rarer as time goes on) but no one seems to be catching on because there's a LOT of stuff I disdain out there, keeping the competition busy because they do not or cannot differentiate. smile.gif
Nene
I enjoy the chances to be generous and to benefit from others' generousity.

I also like the different player collections.

QUOTE(Nene @ Jan 22 2008, 10:02 PM)
I also like the different player collections.

Yes! That is enjoyable and I would like to hear about why they collect the player they chose to collect. Hmmmm......
kylehess10
For my hobby of game used memorabilia, what I enjoy most about it is the fact that you can simply get that piece of the game in your hands, PLUS fakes are harder to come by now. Wayyyy back then, there were Score Board jerseys which were made to have Set tags just like major league jerseys, and nobody knew if the jersey they had was game used or a replica scoreboard. Now, we have all these marketing companies so we can get game used direct from the players, plus there's MLB authentication, Steiner, MeiGray, etc.

Also, I LOVE photomatches. I'm known on another website as the "photomatch king" (as they say) since I've been able to find photomatches for my memorabilia from the most smallest things like loose stitches and tiny itty bitty marks. I'm very specific with my photomatches. ###### I love this hobby biggrin.gif
ffman
QUOTE(kylehess10 @ Jan 24 2008, 06:58 AM)
For my hobby of game used memorabilia, what I enjoy most about it is the fact that you can simply get that piece of the game in your hands, PLUS fakes are harder to come by now. Wayyyy back then, there were Score Board jerseys which were made to have Set tags just like major league jerseys, and nobody knew if the jersey they had was game used or a replica scoreboard. Now, we have all these marketing companies so we can get game used direct from the players, plus there's MLB authentication, Steiner, MeiGray, etc.

Also, I LOVE photomatches. I'm known on another website as the "photomatch king" (as they say) since I've been able to find photomatches for my memorabilia from the most smallest things like loose stitches and tiny itty bitty marks. I'm very specific with my photomatches. ###### I love this hobby  biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing!

I'd like to hear from other members who haven't responded too.
snowblink
Finishing a set because someone took the time to send a few lousy singles my way without holding them hostage.
Nene
Yes, that is a nice bonus. Someone finished off my set of 0506 topps chrome with a freebie!
msuwendy
I love this hobby for many different reasons. Off the top of my head, here are a few:

1) It's something I can enjoy with my wife. She loves opening packs as much as I do smile.gif

2) Meeting different people from all over the world. I always think it's pretty amazing that pieces of cardboard can help form friendships!

3) I love the fact that there are so many beautiful cards out there. Ain't it grand to be like a kid in a candy store? biggrin.gif

4) Helping other people with their collections/cards they need. One of the greatest thrills is seeing someone else really appreciate a card that I myself might not really appreciate.

5) Tracking down a hard-to-find card!
snowblink
Seeing an old card in fresh light, and having it become a favorite.
ffman
QUOTE(snowblink @ Feb 2 2008, 04:57 PM)
Seeing an old card in fresh light, and having it become a favorite.

Finding hidden treasures you didn't know were in your collection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.