Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Whats everyones opinion on 07 SP Letter Baseball?
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
datboytaz
Does anyone know what they are doing with this years SP By The Letter Baseball as far as what they are spelling out with the patches? It seems to me like this time the switched to the front of the jersey and using the Team names and cities, like the Dontrelles I've seen have a "M" and "A" and the Ugglas have "F" & "D" which of course none of those letters are in their last names. Am I right on this? Has anyone been collecting these yet? Please let me know your in put on this and also would like to see anyones that have Dontrelle, Uggla, Hanley or Miguel, might be interested in them, so please PM me. Also, please feel free to put a scan of your 07 SP Letters, would like to see whats out there since no set list yet.
datboytaz
ok now I'm really confused on this because I've found Matt Lindstrom in this set and some how there is an "E" Patch Signature, but how, when there isn't an "E" anywhere in his name or Florida Marlins? Am I letting the cat out of the bag and noticing a very bad error here? Because it is his signature on the card, and his card, but can't be his letter
aceecards
I believe there to be no rhyme or reason to the by the letters again!

There hasnt been in the past.

I dont believe you've uncovered any kind of error!

datboytaz
in last years set it was their last names that the signed, and then this year it seems to be all the letters on the jersey, but the is no "E" in any of the words of Matt (isn't on the jersey, but still) Lindstrom, Florida or Marlins, so gotta be an error. Sent a message to UD asking whats up, I'll have to wait the week for the reply I guess
aceecards
QUOTE(datboytaz @ Nov 26 2007, 09:23 AM)
in last years set it was their last names that the signed, and then this year it seems to be all the letters on the jersey, but the is no "E" in any of the words of Matt (isn't on the jersey, but still) Lindstrom, Florida or Marlins, so gotta be an error. Sent a message to UD asking whats up, I'll have to wait the week for the reply I guess

Last year I got a Chris Carpenter letter "Y"

there is no Y in carpenter of cardinals

I also saw a Dan haren Y for this year and there is no Y in haren or athletics!

aceecards
Wasnt Lindstrom a Met at the beginning of the year?
datboytaz
QUOTE(aceecards @ Nov 26 2007, 09:34 AM)
Wasnt Lindstrom a Met at the beginning of the year?

yes he was a Met, but it has a teal stripe, so thats a marlins jersey. I don't know what the deal is, hopefully upperdeck can let me know or maybe beckett. But I'm still very curious about it, especially since you said bout the Y's in the others
aceecards
If I were you I wouldnt get too excited about a mfgd letter patch. Rememebr the brouhaha caused by DLP and their national pasttime football release last year .. the lettermans spelled out NFL ROOKIE instead of their name?

Although they are cool looking. there is noticeable fading occuring on mine already even thought they are sealed in magnets and kept in the dark at the proper humidity I have a mark mulder signed in black that has faded considerably!

Within a couple of years this trend will be over due to the fact that the autos just arent holding up!

Luke2411
I'm pretty sure the Carpenter "Y" was from "Cy Young."

The way I understand it, they actually do have some sort of "design" behind them. For instance, I believe with Roger Clemens last year, there were some that spelled his name and others that spelled, "Rocket."

I know this year, they are putting in redemptions for complete names, so I know that you can possibly spell each players first and last names.

With the player I collect, Brandon Wood, by looking at eBay sales, it appears that you can spell, "Brandon," "Wood," "Angels," and "Kid."

boxbreaker
sometimes the letters spell out stupid nicknames or something. i wouldn't be surprised if this year they were just totally random
artyman60
I wouldnt be surprised if UD had no idea what they were doing and just messed this up like they do everything else
aceecards
QUOTE(artyman60 @ Nov 26 2007, 05:48 PM)
I wouldnt be surprised if UD had no idea what they were doing and just messed this up like they do everything else

Oh now there is an option I never considered... dry.gif
aceecards
QUOTE(Luke2411 @ Nov 26 2007, 11:04 AM)
I'm pretty sure the Carpenter "Y" was from "Cy Young."

The way I understand it, they actually do have some sort of "design" behind them.  For instance, I believe with Roger Clemens last year, there were some that spelled his name and others that spelled, "Rocket."

I know this year, they are putting in redemptions for complete names, so I know that you can possibly spell each players first and last names.

With the player I collect, Brandon Wood, by looking at eBay sales, it appears that you can spell, "Brandon,"  "Wood," "Angels," and "Kid."

OK that is what I was told but its numbered of 8

lets see
1 = C
2 =Y
3 =Y
4=O
5=U
6=n
7=g

now unless there is a blank one I still only get 7 not 8!!
ffman
QUOTE(aceecards @ Nov 26 2007, 05:04 PM)

lets see
1 = C
2 =Y
3 =Y
4=O
5=U
6=n
7=g

There might have been eight versions of each letter. 8 C's, 8 Y's (or, 16?), 8 O's, etc.
aceecards
QUOTE(ffman @ Nov 26 2007, 06:08 PM)
There might have been eight versions of each letter.  8 C's, 8 Y's (or, 16?), 8 O's, etc.

Possibly but not the bill of goods I was told or sold.

Tarasadie17
QUOTE(aceecards @ Nov 26 2007, 03:04 PM)

lets see
1 = C
2 =Y
3 =Y
4=O
5=U
6=n
7=g

No Steve, it went like this:

C-4
Y-8
O-4
U-4
N-4
G-4

There was 4 sets of the "CY Young" version...
Rhody_Red_Pats
With all the Y's and E's out of place it might just spell out "BY THE LETTER"
datboytaz
LOL, ok guess I opened a whole can of worms, but all still interesting to know and learn about these sets. I wonder if they spelled anything else for D-train other then Dontrelle. Same with the other Marlins from last year. If someone happens to know, please let me know, would be greatly appreciated. Same goes for the new set, if someone can tell me what marlins have what card spelling, would be greatly appreciated, cause I know theres quite a few marlins in this years set
madman20
i dunno lol.....
marlinmania
Last year's set consisted of the players' last names. However, random players were given other letters in addition to their last names:

Pujols - MVP
Carpenter - CY YOUNG
Jeter - CAPTAIN
Felix Hernandez - KING
Bay - ROY
Griffey - JUNIOR
Griffey - THE KID
Clemens - THE ROCKET
Hafner - PRONK

Have no idea for this year, though.
dviv17
Howie Kendrick has an "L" and I think it is from L.A. or Angels.
Tarasadie17
This product is just terrible... there are so many whosit whatsit in the By the Letters set.... I am not touching it this year... sad.gif
MikeScCa
nice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.