Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

8 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 8 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> TCC is slowing down...., at a scary rate

northicehero99
post Feb 28 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #101

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1503
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bigalexx @ Feb 27 2012, 07:40 PM)
Yea, I still stop in a few times a week but hardly post anymore because it just doesn't seem like anything is happening here anymore. It's a shame.

No offense, but I think too many people do this. If your stopping by why not let others know you were here?

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 28 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #102

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(KHarmon @ Feb 28 2012, 09:54 AM)

EDIT:  I am also of the opinion that group breaks have got to the point that they are out of control!!!  It is disappointing to come into the forum, hit the new post button, and then have to scroll through two pages of "transactions" that have been created by group breaks.

KHarmon

Kris, part of this point is valid, maybe we need to filter sales and trades out of the displayed new topics so that only team members and the parties involved in them see them there. I agree and I see no reason they need to be shown, as they really don't provide any content to anyone other than those involved and the TCC team. Not sure how hard that would be too do, but that might help.

The real issue is other "content" and we seem to be lacking that or at least posts on the content we are getting. That is why the group breaks seem out of control, but in reality there are only a minimal amount going on here as compared to other sites (I get an email blast from a hockey site just about every day on a new group break occurring).

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
nlr4434
post Feb 28 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #103

MVP
Group Icon

Transactions: 116

Restrictions:
Current Transactions Only and No Posting

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(KHarmon @ Feb 28 2012, 10:54 AM)
I was lurking and reading a few threads when I came across this one.  There are many, many valid points as to why the site has slowed down. 

For me, I haven't been here for a while because I have simply quit collecting for a while.  Economy has nothing to do for my reasoning, it has to do more with the fact that I was totally consumed with my collecting and began to ignore and miss out on other hobbies. 

Another reason I quit collecting is because it got to the point that a lot of folks knew what I collect and wanted a kings ransom for cards I was looking for.  I am thinking of coming back to the site just to kick around and stay connected with the hobby, not necessarily to collect at the moment.  A card company will have to put out a truly unique and AFFORDABLE set to spark my interest again.

EDIT:  I am also of the opinion that group breaks have got to the point that they are out of control!!!  It is disappointing to come into the forum, hit the new post button, and then have to scroll through two pages of "transactions" that have been created by group breaks.

KHarmon

Not disagreeing but how so do you think group breaks have gotten out of control.

And maybe by doing a version of Itrader and not requiring a transaction thread for every transaction would help clean up things, but the counterpoint to that is those are free pages and thread counts that can be used for potential advertisers of how busy the website is.

+Quote Post
KHarmon
post Feb 28 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #104

Beware the killer armadiller!!!!
Group Icon

Transactions: 163

Awards:
Member of the Month December 2005, Member of the Month March 2009

Restrictions:
Current Transactions Only

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Feb 28 2012, 12:36 PM)
Kris, part of this point is valid, maybe we need to filter sales and trades out of the displayed new topics so that only team members and the parties involved in them see them there.  I agree and I see no reason they need to be shown, as they really don't provide any content to anyone other than those involved and the TCC team.  Not sure how hard that would be too do, but that might help. 

The real issue is other "content" and we seem to be lacking that or at least posts on the content we are getting.  That is why the group breaks seem out of control, but in reality there are only a minimal amount going on here as compared to other sites (I get an email blast from a hockey site just about every day on a new group break occurring).

A filter, if any such thing could be put in place, would be awesome.

KHarmon

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!!
http://texasrangercollector.webs.com/
user posted image
Looking for ANY and ALL Texas Rangers 72 to present!!!!

MLB Team:
+Quote Post
KHarmon
post Feb 28 2012, 09:33 PM
Post #105

Group Icon

Awards:

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(nlr4434 @ Feb 28 2012, 07:19 PM)
Not disagreeing but how so do you think group breaks have gotten out of control.

And maybe by doing a version of Itrader and not requiring a transaction thread for every transaction would help clean up things, but the counterpoint to that is those are free pages and thread counts that can be used for potential advertisers of how busy the website is.

I say they have gotten out of control because it seems like everyone is doing one. I know that's not the case, but when I do come to the board and refresh for new posts you can't go half a page without seeing a thread for a group break.

KHarmon

user posted image

MLB Team:
+Quote Post
finestkind
post Feb 28 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #106

Unregistered

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Some sites are known for just hockey or vintage only others are know for each in it's own thing. We already have a rep for box breaks already. Should we tell people like crpalmi to take his 1017 completed box breaks transactions and just go away ? Like I said before, the vrius problem we had last year made a lot of people go away. Some came back. Others didn't. I hope TCC never becomes the next Beckett.

+Quote Post
KHarmon
post Feb 28 2012, 09:40 PM
Post #107

Group Icon

Awards:

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(finestkind @ Feb 28 2012, 09:35 PM)
Some sites are known for just hockey or vintage only others are know for each in it's own thing. We already have a rep for box breaks already. Should we tell people like crpalmi to take his 1017 completed box breaks transactions and just go away ? Like I said before, the vrius problem we had last year made a lot of people go away. Some came back. Others didn't. I hope TCC never becomes the next Beckett.

I don't think they should go away, I think there has to be a better way of doing them so they don't show up on the page when you go to "new posts". It is way too cluttered.

KHarmon

user posted image

MLB Team:
+Quote Post
nlr4434
post Feb 28 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #108

MVP
Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(KHarmon @ Feb 28 2012, 10:40 PM)
I don't think they should go away, I think there has to be a better way of doing them so they don't show up on the page when you go to "new posts".  It is way too cluttered.

KHarmon

Im all for taking away mandatory transaction threads, but as far as group breaks I see why it would get annoying but if you take out those where would the sites traffic be? I assume about 30% less at least

+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Feb 28 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #109

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Dwight
Transactions: 907

eBay: urbanmonk

Awards:
Member of the Month September 2008

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(nlr4434 @ Feb 28 2012, 07:31 PM)
Im all for taking away mandatory transaction threads, but as far as group breaks I see why it would get annoying but if you take out those where would the sites traffic be? I assume about 30% less at least

Being the trade area of transactions is less than a page, and sales is closer to 4 I'd say more than that. Trading is way down due to a variety of reasons, same as posts on the site.

TCC's Cousin Itt

Looking for former Oregon State players in NFL, Steven Jackson top priority:

PC Want list for Modano, Have list for my FB PC and Trade lists for FB and HK

Mike Modano count 1,268 different cards out of 4,439 listed on Beckett

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
nlr4434
post Feb 28 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #110

MVP
Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Feb 28 2012, 11:56 PM)
Being the trade area of transactions is less than a page, and sales is closer to 4 I'd say more than that.  Trading is way down due to a variety of reasons, same as posts on the site.

Did not want to go too high on the numbers and then be blasted for going so high but I figured group breaks account for a lot of the site's traffic lately

+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Feb 28 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #111

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(nlr4434 @ Feb 28 2012, 08:38 PM)
Did not want to go too high on the numbers and then be blasted for going so high but I figured group breaks account for a lot of the site's traffic lately

I understand, was just saying that's probably a low estimate at this time. But things change so time will tell.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
KHarmon
post Feb 29 2012, 12:08 AM
Post #112

Group Icon

Awards:

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(nlr4434 @ Feb 28 2012, 10:31 PM)

There was once an old adage that applied here.

"Quality over Quantity".

Granted, that was meant for quality in the posts that were made in a particular thread, but I think it can apply to the traffic here as well. There is, in my honest opinion, a difference between quality traffic on the site and a quantity of traffic on the site. The group breaks are all well and good, but based on your number, 30% of the traffic on the site is being created by a small minority of members in the box breaks. Not saying the group breaks are not an integral and important part of the site, just saying that having page after page of new transactions being created for group breaks clutters the site for those members that come here for something other than group breaks.

Instead of having them on the main traffic page, why not create a Group Break area on the forum that has it's own "box break" and transaction section that is visible to the participants of said breaks?

Essentially, I would be more inclined to be a daily visitor of the site if I didn't have to weed through all of those box break related links to find topics that hold an interest for me.

KHarmon

user posted image

MLB Team:
+Quote Post
sportscollectoroz
post Feb 29 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #113

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Oz
Transactions: 52

Awards:
January 2011 Member of the Month

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(KHarmon @ Feb 28 2012, 06:54 AM)
It is disappointing to come into the forum, hit the new post button, and then have to scroll through two pages of "transactions" that have been created by group breaks.

KHarmon

thumbup.gif

- Oz

The Collection | eBay | COMC | YouTube | LinkedIn
SportsCollectorOz

. . . an expensive hobby, but somebody has to do it . . .
user posted image
Topps Base Parallel Set Needs: Tribute | Triple Threads
Topps SP Variant Needs (Legends): '09 | '10 | '11 | '12

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
nlr4434
post Feb 29 2012, 12:51 AM
Post #114

MVP
Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(KHarmon @ Feb 29 2012, 01:08 AM)
There was once an old adage that applied here. 

"Quality over Quantity". 

Granted, that was meant for quality in the posts that were made in a particular thread, but I think it can apply to the traffic here as well.  There is, in my honest opinion, a difference between quality traffic on the site and a quantity of traffic on the site.  The group breaks are all well and good, but based on your number, 30% of the traffic on the site is being created by a small minority of members in the box breaks.  Not saying the group breaks are not an integral and important part of the site, just saying that having page after page of new transactions being created for group breaks clutters the site for those members that come here for something other than group breaks.

Instead of having them on the main traffic page, why not create a Group Break area on the forum that has it's own "box break" and transaction section that is visible to the participants of said breaks? 

Essentially, I would be more inclined to be a daily visitor of the site if I didn't have to weed through all of those box break related links to find topics that hold an interest for me.

KHarmon

Id do more here if I didnt have to do a transaction thread for every single thing but just had a feedback system

+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 29 2012, 07:23 AM
Post #115

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Kris, I think there still is quality here otherwise some of us long timers would have left, but I also agree there is clutter based on transactions for group breaks being in new posts. However, that is the way the site was designed and it has always been that way, when it wasn't group break transactions and everyone was trading amuck it was trade transactions. Nothing regarding that has changed except for the mere fact that less people are posting in other topics or creating other topics, so we are not seeing as many new topics as we are seeing transactions in the new post page. Beyond that the server might be "refreshing" at a pace for when TCC had higher volumes of traffic leaving less topics on the page more often. Only Bob or someone with knowledge of those areas could tell us for us and make changes.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
bigalexx
post Mar 3 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #116

TCC's #1 Ervin Santana Collector
Group Icon

First Name: Alex
Transactions: 85

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Feb 28 2012, 10:29 AM)
No offense, but I think too many people do this.  If your stopping by why not let others know you were here?

I understand your point, but I just haven't really seen much reason to post. It just seems 85% of the threads on the board are "Happy Birthday" threads or Group Break threads. I haven't made a trade in years and I've really cut back on the hobby. Most of the members who I used to chat frequently with (BoxBreaker44, Coltsfan23, Dviv17, Marcus 42 and many others) are no longer active or made past mistakes which has caused them to no longer be active members. All in all, it has resulted in me not being as interested in this site as much.

Under Massive Renovations
My Bucket

Bring Me Your Ervin Santana Cards!!
user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
rtsjr
post Mar 10 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #117

Unregistered

View Gallery

Create Transaction

agree seems all that gets done here anymore are box breaks/ major reason which i have been less active , and i really can't stand a team member.

+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Mar 10 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #118

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(rtsjr @ Mar 10 2012, 07:56 PM)
agree  seems  all  that  gets  done  here  anymore are  box  breaks/  major  reason  which  i  have  been  less active  ,  and  i  really  can't  stand a  team  member.

Bob, they happen on other sites as well. I don't see a huge amount of them here. Heck I get daily emails of group breaks from another site I belong to, whereas here usually group breaks are being done by the dozen or so trusted members. So I don't think group breaks are taking over TCC. They seem to if nobody wants to post topics about pulls, breaks, new products, birthdays, etc, etc, etc. That is up to US the members to populate the new post page with exactly that "new posts".

As for your issues with team members, does it really need to be a public thing and if so, maybe that is why it escalates? Not siding with anyone regarding this as I know nothing about your particular issue, but sometimes men need to act like men. Some people don't get along and not everyone likes everyone in life, but we all learn to move around and avoid those situations whether in work or play. IMO calling it out in public really doesn't help to clear the air, it only further aggravates the situation. Why not try to work it out with that team member or the CZT Team manager in pms as opposed to this way? If you feel team member "A" doesn't treat you fairly, maybe team member "A" can be asked not interact in your topics. Not sure if that will work, but it is partly up to you to try to rectify the situation, as the old saying goes it "takes two to tango". I think the CZT does an excellent job, and often gets a lot less credit for thier work then is due to them. Having been one, I can say that they keep TCC's wheels moving behind the scenes and they deserve a lot of credit.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Mar 10 2012, 09:16 PM
Post #119

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bigalexx @ Mar 3 2012, 05:49 PM)
I understand your point, but I just haven't really seen much reason to post. It just seems 85% of the threads on the board are "Happy Birthday" threads or Group Break threads. I haven't made a trade in years and I've really cut back on the hobby. Most of the members who I used to chat frequently with (BoxBreaker44, Coltsfan23, Dviv17, Marcus 42 and many others) are no longer active or made past mistakes which has caused them to no longer be active members. All in all, it has resulted in me not being as interested in this site as much.

Alex, those are good points, not sure why those members are not around, but it is like life, you grow up with a group of friends, then they get married and you see them less, then they have kids and you see them even less often and in some cases they pass away and you don't see them anymore.

It happens on trading sites as well. It doesn't mean we can't make efforts to find new friends who share our same passion for that same MLB team, TV show, etc. Its a two way street and the flow sometimes seems to be going the opposite way, so you either turn your car around and head in that same direction or you keep going the other way hoping one day to catch up to the flow again or have it catch up to you. I prefer to try to deal with it and stay in the flow, even if it might not be taking me where I want to go. laugh.gif Want can I say I have no sense of direction. laugh.gif

I guess what I am saying is that I think you can find new friends, but if you don't reach out to find them you will never know who is out there.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Mar 11 2012, 12:57 AM
Post #120

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Trading has slowed all over with postage increases, but with less activity here it does even more. That and if they same folks coming here then it's harder to trade if you have specific PC's as after awhile they don't have what you want. And with the increased cost of postage it gets harder to justify trading for the sake of trading (I have other things going on that makes that harder to justify also). I'm getting quite a few trades on another site, but that is because it is mostly Hockey folks over there and few if any of them are here, so able to find things for my PC player in Hockey.
So yeah group breaks may have more posts on the site at the moment, but without them site would be a real small page of "new posts" on a daily basis. Just look at the trade section for transactions, never been that small in my time here. But there is more to do here than trade. So you can either be a part of the solution or the problem in simple terms.

Tired of the CZT taking flack as we are volunteers trying to make the site better and run smoothly, not whatever else folks can come up with. The last letter stands for Team, so think what you like but majority of the decisions are made by more than one person and not just one (granted sometimes hard to get very much feedback in our area of board for the number of CZT we have, but I digress), or at least anything beyond a "day off" is determined by more than one person. If I post in transactions:

Enough of the name calling, the only posts I want to see is that you have rec'd your end returned. (or whatever is wanted in this case).

That really doesn't leave much room for confusion. As fairly direct in what I'm saying I think, yet folks don't read it and continue with the mud slinging (hint if I put something in Red I'm not going to be patient anymore as I've reached my limit, but that is just me and not any other CZT). We will tell you politely what we want or don't want, doing the opposite or giving us flack makes it harder to be polite about it. And usually you will get more than one chance at a fixing the issue politely, if you don't listen to request or "go off on us", well don't take a brain surgeon to figure out why you in trouble.

Got off topic, but guess needed to put that out there, even if it is pointless. Sorry for the rant.

The virus issues haven't helped the site any. The Admin going AWOL. Postage rates. Card companies and their stupidity hurting the hobby. Redemptions that take years to fulfill (or are replaced with something not even comparable) (why I would never buy a redemption as you have no idea if you ever get what you paid for). People prioritizing things in their life different or leaving the hobby. Anything can be attributed to site slowing down, and probably a combination of that and other things I can't think of right now. But the site is what we all make it, so back to what I said earlier:
So you can either be a part of the solution or the problem in simple terms.

Add to the improvement of the site, or bring it back to where it was in your mind before, as the people here are what make the site what it is. If you don't like it here then don't come here, negativity always brings more of the same. Being here is a choice, one I never thought I would question my choice, but things change as that is the nature of the beast we call "life".

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

8 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 23rd September 2014 - 07:36 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us