Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

captkirk42's Blog
Stuff about my collection
Filter by Category:

Entries in July 2015
entry Jul 25 2015, 04:17 PM
OK so another weekend update of Maildays:

Monday 20 July 2015:
Package 1:
Saw my mailbox filled and overflowing. Half of my mailbox was filled by a long (800ct?) box O'Cards from a zistle member in Canada who needed to purge some late 80s early 90s Baseball. He noticed my wantlists from those sets were big and offered to send them with no commitment to send anything in return. I won't go into detail with what I got but the years/sets ranged from 1981 Topps to '93 Topps with some Score and Fleer in between. There might be some late 80s Donruss, nothing 90s Donruss that I recall.

Package 2:
Next some Ebay 6 cards one seller individual BIN at $4.00 each ($24.00 total) shipping originally $2.00 per card combined to only $4.52. The cards are NON-SPORT inserts from Dynamite Magazine. I'd have to research to see exactly which issue these were from. I already had 6 similar cards from another issue back in my childhood days so I knew these things existed, well actually there are 6 other cards I knew existed these I think I had missed. I plan on researching which issues all these came from and try to track down the issues in good shape (preferably still with the cards and hopefully the game page unmarked) Anyway this is 6 "Dynamite Sports Cards" that I had previously didn't know existed. They are parody cards No numbers but I probably could figure out how they were arranged in the magazine by their perforated edges (# in parenthesis). They were in a 2 column 3 row format.
So in Alphabetical order by "Player's" last name.
Roy Alpane Tennis Star (5)
Beulah Boola Cheerleader (1)
Carl Itquits Florida Lemons Baseball Manager (2)
Rocky Road Light Featherweight Boxer (4)
Olga Soakyahedd Olympic Gymnast (6)
Lou Zuhball Chattanooga Choo Choos Football (3)

Package 3:
This began as winning some Ebay auctions and then doing a custom order from the seller/artist since I liked the cards I won and he made an offer to do some custom cards. So the artist is Steve Burkett (abssketchcards on Ebay). The cards are a "Set" the three sketch cards I won from Auction plus the custom cards with the same design to make them a custom set. They were $10 each (the price I won 2 of the auctions for $9.99 the other auction was won at more $16.48) Shipping was originally $2.00 per card for the auctions but since I opted to have all cards shipped at the same time auction wins + additional customs Shipping total was $3.50. There are 11 sketch cards total. All of them are signed 1/1s with a signed COA back that mentions the date the sketch was made and signed again by the artist Stephen Burkett. The subject was the USA Women's World Cup Team. Each card is a headshot portrait of the individual player with the US flag as the background.
The first 3 the Auctions (1&2 the $9.99 and 3 was the $16.48 win)
Alex Morgan
Hope Solo
Carli Lloyd

The 8 Customs done over a period of 3 days ($10.00 each):
Tobin Heath
Lauren Holiday
Christine Rampone
Kelly O'Hara
Abby Wombach
Brandi Chastain (in her victory screaming pose head and shoulders)
Mia Hamm
Kristine Lilly

OK sure it was a big cost order, but all-in-all the artist is pretty good, not super great but good quality. He made them in color and at $10 a shot for a 1/1 sketch a good deal.

ON Wednesday 22 July 2015:
One Package:
An Ebay Auction. I have bought/won from this seller/artist before and also lost a couple of auctions. This is a single color sketch card win $10.38 + Free Shipping from sports sketch card artist Edward Vela who seems to only sell prints of the cards this is an "unlimited edition" (I had previously gotten a card that was a limited edition of #d/5 cards) So there is no knowing how many of these things he will eventually make/sell a sketch of Redskins legend Sammy Baugh. I have a Bryce Harper sketch from him (the #d/5). I tried for a second Harper sketch that I liked more than the one I have but lost I have also tried on three separate times on two different Frank Howard sketches but lost all of them. All the loses were at prices from at least $15 up to $31 or $32 top.

entry Jul 19 2015, 05:24 PM
OK so this is a major catchup post that includes two group breaks and a couple of Ebay purcases.

06 July 2015: standard bubble mailer Group break from TCC/TCZ host Shawn (sasports) Basketball Group the break was from several weeks before the shipping had been majorly delayed for several reasons. I had the Wizards plus draft team Rockets:

2012-13 Panini Brilliance Basketball
15 Leandro Barbosa Wizards (in Celtics Uni)
73 James Harden Rockets (2)
74 Jeremy Lin Rockets (2)
75 Omer Asik Rockets (2)
172 Francisco Garcia Rockets
197 Emeka Okafor Wizards
198 John Wall Wizards
224 Ralph Sampson Rockets
274 Terrence Jones Rockets
294 Bradley Beal Wizards (2)
Magic Numbers 13 Jeremy Lin Rockets
Spellbound 65 Jeremy Lin Rockets
Team Tomorrow 6 Bradley Beal Wizards

2013-14 Fleer Retro Basketball (Pros in College Unis)
5 Elvin Hayes Houston Cougars (Bullets)
1 Calbert Cheaney Indiana Hoosiers (Bullets/Wizards)
26 James Harden Arizona State Sun Devils (Rockets)
33 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston Cougars (Rockets)

2013-14 Panini Crusade Basketball
133 Vernon Maxwell Rockets
189 Martel Webster Wizards RED Parallel #d 309/349
Quest Memorabilia 86 Nate Robinson Nuggets All Red Swatch from his Bulls Days #d 085/299

08 July 2015: Standard bubble mailer from Abel (5toosweet) TCC Baseball Group Break. My Homies The Nationals with Twins at discount.

2015 Panini Prizm Baseball
26 Antony Rendon Nationals - Picture is odd as it looks like the Nats home whites but the trim, jersey number and his hat are dark blue/black instead of red.
36 Brian Dozier Twins
91 Jordan Zimmermann Nationals
Fresh Faces die-cut 11 Byron Buxton Twins

2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball
12 Jordan Zimmerman Nationals
42 Kennys Vargas Twins
51 Anthony Rendon Nationals
66 Joe Mauer Twins
76 Gio Gonzalez Nationals
93 Max Scherzer Nationals
152 Rod Carew Twins
178 Ryan Zimmerman Nationals
223 Ian Desmond Nationals
251 Ervin Santana Twins
Pillars of the Community PC-BH Bryce Harper Nationals
Walk-Off Winners GWO-22 Jayson Werth Nationals
mini 287 Brian Dozier Twins

2015 Panini Diamond Kings Baseball
62 Harmon Killebrew Twins
127 Stephen Strasburg Nationals
168 Kennys Vargas Twins
174 Michael Taylor RC Nationals
182 Trevor May RC Twins

2015 Topps Finest Baseball
10 Joe Maher Twins
12 Michael Taylor RC Nationals
12 Michael Taylor RC Nationals Refractor - Regular refractor? Hate these things can't tell if it is the regular refractor or prizm refractor. It has little diamond shaped refracting things so it might be the more common prizm unless the prism is the less common UGH that is why I hate the subtle differences in parallels. Plus it is only at certain angles the refracting happens.
25 Stephen Strasburg Nationals another Refractor same kind as Taylor's.
56 Anthony Rendon Nationals
66 Phil Hughes Twins
"1995" Finest Retro 94F-19 Max Scerzer Nationals - If these things are the 1995 Finest Retro insert set then why number them with '94"? Mus be 1994 Retro.

Vintage Bonus Card: Abel knows I have been trying (somewhat in vain) to complete the 1965 Topps Baseball set so he sent a single card to help with that effort.
1965 Topps Baseball 433 John Bateman Houston Astros - If it weren't for the crease at the top along his forehead this card would be almost near mint to me.

11 July 2015: From Ebay single package forget if it was a PWE or a small cardboard mailer. If I recall the contents (a single vintage non-sport card) was well protected by a cardboard sandwich and was in a penny sleeve.
IN pursuit of my set build of the 1953 Sugar Daddy Comic Character Cards R757-1 (and -2 set) I got card #46 Indian Chief from the "Smitty" comic strip. The blanks are Unmarked of course as this is the way I am collecting this set. At first I was concerned that the card edges were TOO straight and it was "cut" but it seems to be the same size as my other card from this set. Oh the auction details it was a BIN purchase for $7.50 + $4.00 shipping.

Last package on 17 July 2015: from Ebay for $9.99 + $2.99 shipping I got a sealed deck of poker playing cards. They are simply called "Baseball Cards" and has a goofy cartoon image on front and back of box copyright 1989 Baseball Playing Cards, Inc box says "Standard Poker Sized Playing Cards wit four suits: Gloves, Bats, Balls, Bases" I can't wait to open up the package and check out this obviously for kids playing deck. I'll have to blog about it sometime on my regular blog.

| Category: Baseball
entry Jul 3 2015, 02:34 PM
On Friday 03 July 2015: A one package one card day. Odd I had already grabbed the mail that was in my mailbox for the day. Most of it was bills or other such mail that doesn't need any immediate attention for the day. I guess my mail carrier was still doing his rounds of my building and hadn't done the packages yet. Knock on my door good thing it is one of those Holiday on Saturday so work off Friday. Anyway the package is from Ebay that had an estimated delivery for Monday the 6th. Wish the shipping stars could be marked "delivered earlier than estimated date". So lets see for... .99¢ + $2.54 shipping I have 2015 Topps Museum Baseball 30 Stephen Strasburg Nationals Green parallel #d 100/199 will go nicely with my regular base of this card.

| Category: Non Sports
entry Jul 1 2015, 08:08 PM
On Wednesday 01 July 2015: I had a one envelope one card mailday. From Ebay for $24.99 + $3.00 shipping. Yeah I know the card was a bit expensive but I think worth it. a 1953 Sugar Daddy Comic Character Cards R757-2 #29 The Dragon Lady from Terry And The Pirates comic strip. A few weeks back I had gotten the other variant of this card the R757-1 variant for much cheaper. The first variant with the fill-in-the-blank for the name is slightly easier to find since it didn't have to be mutilated, this R757-2 variant the one with the coupon is sometimes difficult to find with the coupon intact and in such good shape as this one is in.

I plan on getting the rest of this set both variants eventually. 50 cards per set for a total of 100 cards. The dash one set I'll try to get unmarked and the dash two set I want with the coupon intact so both sets will take me a while to get. As usual I want to get it on the cheap.

SMTWTFS

My Picture
User Photo

Lo-Fi Version Time: 29th March 2024 - 07:13 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us