Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> Tristar TNA iMPACT! Review, ...from the Wax Wombat! blog...

sahetu
post Mar 16 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #1

aka nerfderfy
Group Icon

Members Referred: 3
First Name: Andrew
Transactions: 115
(View: Pending | Failed)

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Last week I was pleasantly surprised to find myself sponsored by Tristar Productions. I’ve always liked Tristar, especially their World’s Greatest Chase stuff (speaking of which, I have some of that to open soon as well). This partnership will allow me to share product previews, news, and reviews like this one.

Tristar sent me a box of TNA iMPACT! to review, and before I crack the seal on this I have to make an admission: I stopped watching wrestling when WCW was still in business. So, I really don’t know what to expect, even though I see some familiar faces on the box.

Each box boasts “4 guaranteed hits” which include two autographs, one TNA Kiss card (or an additional autograph), and one parallel. There are 20 packs per box, with 5 cards per pack.

user posted image

There is a 99 card base set, plus a checklist card. My box had one complete set (with checklist), with 17 duplicates. The base design is simple, but slick. The photography is excellent. Card stock is glossy, and I found no defects in any of my packs.

user posted image

My parallel card of Sheik Abdul Bashir is numbered to 20, hand has a neat glitter effect to it. That said, I’m not sure how well glitter and wrestling mix. Perhaps if it was a ladies wrestling set, I’d like the glitter more. If it were me, foil or prismatic accents would of been a better choice.

user posted image

I got two autographs and one dual autograph instead of the TNA Kiss card. I know who Scott Steiner is, but the other three guys (Amazing Red, Jesse Neal, and Rhino) I’m clueless on. Perhaps someone will let me know if they are good or not? The Steiner is numbered to 25, and the other two are numbered to 60. Like the parallel card, these have the glitter effect that doesn’t seem to work with the theme. That said, even though I’m an on-card autograph lover, clear stickers are the way to go. The sticker works with the design, rather than distract. In my opinion, the dual signature design is way better than the single signature design.

user posted image

Overall, it’s not a bad product (especially when it can be found for a little over $40 a box). Fans of wrestling should find good value in these boxes, especially if they are pulling autographs of major stars like Mick Foley and Kurt Angle. Scott Steiner is a cool autograph to have, and it reminds me of the Steiner Brothers tag team days in WCW.

TNA is poised to become a huge property now that they are squaring off against WWE on Monday nights, and competition is always a boon to the hobby. I’m looking forward to seeing what else Tristar has for collectors. I’m not just saying that to say that either. I like the smaller companies a great deal more than Topps, Panini, and Upper Deck. Why? They are willing to innovate and take risks. Far too often the big three get lazy and forget they need to impress collectors.

"My common sense is tingling..."

The Wax Wombat moniker has been retired. Doesn't seem right anymore,
as I don't own the domain, have that blog, or rip much wax these days.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 16th April 2024 - 09:36 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us