Printable version of Entry

Click here to view this entry in its original format

captkirk42's Blog

Mailday Catchup Mid July 2015

OK so another weekend update of Maildays:

Monday 20 July 2015:
Package 1:
Saw my mailbox filled and overflowing. Half of my mailbox was filled by a long (800ct?) box O'Cards from a zistle member in Canada who needed to purge some late 80s early 90s Baseball. He noticed my wantlists from those sets were big and offered to send them with no commitment to send anything in return. I won't go into detail with what I got but the years/sets ranged from 1981 Topps to '93 Topps with some Score and Fleer in between. There might be some late 80s Donruss, nothing 90s Donruss that I recall.

Package 2:
Next some Ebay 6 cards one seller individual BIN at $4.00 each ($24.00 total) shipping originally $2.00 per card combined to only $4.52. The cards are NON-SPORT inserts from Dynamite Magazine. I'd have to research to see exactly which issue these were from. I already had 6 similar cards from another issue back in my childhood days so I knew these things existed, well actually there are 6 other cards I knew existed these I think I had missed. I plan on researching which issues all these came from and try to track down the issues in good shape (preferably still with the cards and hopefully the game page unmarked) Anyway this is 6 "Dynamite Sports Cards" that I had previously didn't know existed. They are parody cards No numbers but I probably could figure out how they were arranged in the magazine by their perforated edges (# in parenthesis). They were in a 2 column 3 row format.
So in Alphabetical order by "Player's" last name.
Roy Alpane Tennis Star (5)
Beulah Boola Cheerleader (1)
Carl Itquits Florida Lemons Baseball Manager (2)
Rocky Road Light Featherweight Boxer (4)
Olga Soakyahedd Olympic Gymnast (6)
Lou Zuhball Chattanooga Choo Choos Football (3)

Package 3:
This began as winning some Ebay auctions and then doing a custom order from the seller/artist since I liked the cards I won and he made an offer to do some custom cards. So the artist is Steve Burkett (abssketchcards on Ebay). The cards are a "Set" the three sketch cards I won from Auction plus the custom cards with the same design to make them a custom set. They were $10 each (the price I won 2 of the auctions for $9.99 the other auction was won at more $16.48) Shipping was originally $2.00 per card for the auctions but since I opted to have all cards shipped at the same time auction wins + additional customs Shipping total was $3.50. There are 11 sketch cards total. All of them are signed 1/1s with a signed COA back that mentions the date the sketch was made and signed again by the artist Stephen Burkett. The subject was the USA Women's World Cup Team. Each card is a headshot portrait of the individual player with the US flag as the background.
The first 3 the Auctions (1&2 the $9.99 and 3 was the $16.48 win)
Alex Morgan
Hope Solo
Carli Lloyd

The 8 Customs done over a period of 3 days ($10.00 each):
Tobin Heath
Lauren Holiday
Christine Rampone
Kelly O'Hara
Abby Wombach
Brandi Chastain (in her victory screaming pose head and shoulders)
Mia Hamm
Kristine Lilly

OK sure it was a big cost order, but all-in-all the artist is pretty good, not super great but good quality. He made them in color and at $10 a shot for a 1/1 sketch a good deal.

ON Wednesday 22 July 2015:
One Package:
An Ebay Auction. I have bought/won from this seller/artist before and also lost a couple of auctions. This is a single color sketch card win $10.38 + Free Shipping from sports sketch card artist Edward Vela who seems to only sell prints of the cards this is an "unlimited edition" (I had previously gotten a card that was a limited edition of #d/5 cards) So there is no knowing how many of these things he will eventually make/sell a sketch of Redskins legend Sammy Baugh. I have a Bryce Harper sketch from him (the #d/5). I tried for a second Harper sketch that I liked more than the one I have but lost I have also tried on three separate times on two different Frank Howard sketches but lost all of them. All the loses were at prices from at least $15 up to $31 or $32 top.