Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> US Hockey collectors 2nd class collectors I guess

urbanmonk
post Jan 4 2014, 12:12 PM
Post #1

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Dwight
Transactions: 907
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: urbanmonk

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

I thought it was bad enough with UD and their exclusive wrapper redemption in Canada for OPC, now Panini pulls this 2 weeks before release :

link

I can't even go into how much this annoys me (as I'd get in trouble) blowup.gif , saw this yesterday and it still irks me to no end. I was excited for the product, but not anymore, and I won't buy any of it on the secondary market either (like Panini really gives a hoot anyway). Not even sure if I will just boycott all their products for Hockey the rest of the year (again like Panini would even care/notice), as with UD I just boycotted OPC even though I had built that set the last 5 years.

TCC's Cousin Itt

Looking for former Oregon State players in NFL, Steven Jackson top priority:

PC Want list for Modano, Have list for my FB PC and Trade lists for FB and HK

Mike Modano count 1,268 different cards out of 4,439 listed on Beckett

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jan 4 2014, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

really?

why..

talk about eliminating 3/4 of your potential sales..

I don't buy Panini hockey anyway.

I think its garbage, they take no time or effort to get on card autos, they are still stuffed with redemptions

Their designs are tired and boring.

And they flood the market with this inadequate dreck!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jan 4 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #3

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I think 25-30% of their market US, Canada higher for sure but who knows exact percentage....but yeah still irking 1/4 of your market a real dumb marketing move IMHO, if you going to do something like that state that when you start putting out teasers for the product instead of 2 weeks before release, as it is kinda saying "look at the pretty cards....oh btw you can't buy this product". I'm torn, but may not buy any of their product anymore this year.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
shaqcollector
post Jan 4 2014, 01:19 PM
Post #4

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Scott
Transactions: 87

eBay: sallen34

View Gallery

Create Transaction

WOW, what a slap in the face. i actually like panini myself, as far as redemtions go, yes, there are alot, but in my opinion they redeem faster than anyone else. so to me this is dissapointing and i wont buy any.

+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jan 4 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Again

compare Panini to ud

Photography UD in a no contest

redemptions or lack thereof UD so far this year

Inserts rarity Ill even this up but so far I love UDs inserts in series 1

Base set with extended Panini can get a little carried away while UD remains buildable

GU who cares

Autos Panini issues a lot of dud stickers and UD still has Gretzky exclusive
Ill give UD the edge

# of products UD's lineup is tried and true, Panini keeps throwing in things like this

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jan 4 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #6

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jan 4 2014, 10:21 AM)
Again

compare Panini to ud

Base set with extended Panini can get a little carried away while UD remains buildable

GU who cares

Ill give UD the edge

# of products UD's lineup is tried and true, Panini keeps throwing in things like this

I'd put AUs even, as Artifacts was a major sticker dump this year (lots of whozits not even in NHL at all anymore), so hitting an AU in Artifacts was a lame hit for the most part. Panini seems to be more Parallel Heck lately, though UD guilty of that too just not as much (if Topps was still in they would be the king I'm sure). Redemptions I would have to give the edge to Panini as they will at least honor expired ones up to a year after (even if they give you something different than redemption), where as UD it is the "thanks for buying our product, but sorry but you are out of luck blah blah blah". I like when they try and bring back an older product, even if it turns out to be a bomb at least they are trying to be different and mix it up a bit, as being able to tell the difference of years of Artifacts or SPx can be tough as it is close to the same all the time (UD was also guilty of using old photos a bit this year).
I guess I just don't get the Marketing concept in things like this, same as UD doing the wrapper thing in one Country only. I mean why alienate a percentage of your market, even if it is a smaller percentage? I brought it up on UD facebook page and they told me "we do things exclusive in the US like Hockey Day and All Star game etc...", well you do same in Canada for Hockey Day (and did it exclusive there first) and All Star game goes by where it is, so I felt that was a lame example on their part.

End of Rant.......well maybe wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
shaqcollector
post Jan 4 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #7

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Scott
Transactions: 87

eBay: sallen34

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jan 4 2014, 01:21 PM)
Again

compare Panini to ud

GU who cares

Ill give UD the edge

agree 100% UD takes the cake in Hockey, But in other sports Panini is basically it. (basketball) mainly, but now that panini is pulling this "Canada Only" i will return the favor and slap them by boycotting.

+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jan 4 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #8

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I won't get into the debate as to who is better. They both have their hits and both have their faults, as does the whole hobby for that matter. Beyond that, it is ridiculous that Panini would disregard the US collector, considering what 24 of 30 teams are in the US??? Oh well, no skin off of my back as I was not planning on buying much of it anyway. Might get some in a group break or something, but would not have ordered a box. However, that being considered it is still not right to ignore part of your loyal customer base in favoritism to another Country. Why not just make the Canada version have different parallels and parallel us to death. laugh.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
redwing40
post Jan 4 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #9

HOF
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 248

Awards:
Member of the Month Jan 15

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Well that's just stupid, I like some Panini stuff, and only collect the Wings RC's if I like the way it looks, little over rated product I think, and what can you say about Upperdeck!

I was gonna make a cut back on cards this year, subtract a product or two, Now, I think Panini is one! Shame on you!

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jan 5 2014, 09:05 AM
Post #10

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I think UD is really committed to shining through!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jan 5 2014, 09:12 AM
Post #11

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Oh well, I just won't buy any of their product anymore, not like Panini going to care or notice (though I see a lot of folks irked by this on internet and saying they won't buy their product period for any sport). Personally think they just shot themselves in the backside, but time will tell I guess. UD irked me with the wrapper redemption in Canada only thing for OPC, so guess if they follow suit and pull something like that again it is time for me to get out of the Hobby.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jan 5 2014, 10:39 AM
Post #12

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Jan 5 2014, 09:12 AM)
Oh well, I just won't buy any of their product anymore, not like Panini going to care or notice (though I see a lot of folks irked by this on internet and saying they won't buy their product period for any sport).  Personally think they just shot themselves in the backside, but time will tell I guess.  UD irked me with the wrapper redemption in Canada only thing for OPC, so guess if they follow suit and pull something like that again it is time for me to get out of the Hobby.

Dwight the hobby has to be about what you want and not worrying about the manufacturers and what they do. Collect what you want and if you are that annoyed by this, then only buy ITG products? I hear you and it annoys me, but it is life, companies can decide how they want to sell things, we are just little pawns in the big game of chess. You take the moves you like and do what you can to enjoy the hobby and if annoys you then you will have to decide if you want to continue collecting. It already seems like a dying hobby as products have gotten too expensive for too little return and set building is just not what it used to be, which was about the cards. It can't be anymore, due to the price of boxes anymore and the shortprinted rcs, etc. I miss the old days when all you had was a 200 card set and some stickers and there were rookies throughout not shortprinted. Either way, I would not let what the manufacturers do with 1 product impact what I want to do. I have decided to limit my collecting to specific sets each year and that is it. No more chasing 20 sets in hopes of hitting the top rookies. I might buy packs here and there of those products, but the box chase I used to do was the biggest waste of $ in my life and needed to end as I have too many boxes of useless cardboard sitting in a closet.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jan 5 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #13

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Jan 5 2014, 10:39 AM)
Dwight the hobby has to be about what you want and not worrying about the manufacturers and what they do.  Collect what you want and if you are that annoyed by this, then only buy ITG products?  I hear you and it annoys me, but it is life, companies can decide how they want to sell things, we are just little pawns in the big game of chess.  You take the moves you like and do what you can to enjoy the hobby and if annoys you then you will have to decide if you want to continue collecting.  It already seems like a dying hobby as products have gotten too expensive for too little return and set building is just not what it used to be, which was about the cards.  It can't be anymore, due to the price of boxes anymore and the shortprinted rcs, etc.  I miss the old days when all you had was a 200 card set and some stickers and there were rookies throughout not shortprinted.  Either way, I would not let what the manufacturers do with 1 product impact what I want to do.  I have decided to limit my collecting to specific sets each year and that is it.  No more chasing 20 sets in hopes of hitting the top rookies.  I might buy packs here and there of those products, but the box chase I used to do was the biggest waste of $ in my life and needed to end as I have too many boxes of useless cardboard sitting in a closet.

amen, we could have a big bonfire!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jan 6 2014, 04:19 AM
Post #14

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

See if they take down my comments on their FB page on it, though they did approve one for their Blog but other two just in Limbo Land laugh.gif They seriously don't seem to grasp what a bone headed move that is to do two weeks out from release. The "oh you can buy it in the US direct from us" baloney is their only response, and pay $20 more a box than we could preorder it last week, you guys are so generous!!!! and doing us a big favor........NOT

My last comment on their FB page (that way they can hunt me down and kill me wink.gif laugh.gif ):

Yeah for $20 more direct from Manufacturer than it was up for Presale last week online on US sites, wow you are so flipping generous!!!! (sarcasm btw just in case). Why the heck decide this two weeks out, what happens to folks that preordered that prior to your decision? I was excited for this product, and now I really don't feel like spending my money on it or any of your other products....."Panini America on Friday revealed what might be the hat trick for NHL trading cards"----- That's funny feels more like a Cross Check to the face for US collectors than a Hat Trick, not sure how your Marketing folks came up with that gem, but it is priceless..........Your product and you can decide how you want to distribute it, same as our money and we can decide where to spend it I guess. I for one am seriously doubting I will buy your product, even to the point of GBs and cards on the secondary market for my PC. If it has your name on it I don't want it at the moment, as feeling really snubbed considering how much I tooted your horn compared to your competitor, at least they don't pull crap two weeks out from release on a product they been teasing us for over a month on.......... Not sure how you feel you helping the Hockey market in the US, it is hard enough to find it in LCS's around here, so ###### off the dealers and collectors seems rather counter productive to me......I'm done with this, as I really do think you guys are clueless on what you just did. I was spending 75% of my Hockey card money with you guys this last year and 25% other, but doubt you will notice or even care for that matter that you just made that 0% with you and 100% elsewhere.

I probably didn't make a lot of sense as very little sleep so far today, and not like it will do any good...but gets it out of my system. Currently going to Boycott Panini Products including GBs and even including cards on the Secondary Market, as I don't even feel this nonsense worth supporting in any way or shape or form. Like they going to notice or care even anyway.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 29th March 2024 - 09:40 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us