Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

2 Pages  1 2 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> NHL disgrace!, Pens vs. Isles

northicehero99
post Feb 12 2011, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

If you did not see the Pens vs. Isles game last night then you missed a game that brought you back to 1980s hockey. Very ugly and very classless game from both teams and very poorly officiated IMO. By the end of the game there were very few players left on either bench and this was a game that showed the ugly side of NHL hockey.

First let me start by saying that I do not mind a good NHL fight and sometimes it is necessary for a hit that is deemed inappropriate, but last nights continuous fighting was nothing more than classless and disgusting from both teams IMO.

Some of the more classless acts:
A player (Martinez) skates up behind another player drops his gloves and attempts sucker punching the other teams forward (Talbot) as he skated away from the player.

A player leaves one fight (Haley) after it is ended to head to the penalty box and then goes after the opposing goaltender (Johnson). As this forward goes after the goalie another forward (Godard) leaves the Pens bench to protect his goalie and both players (Johnson and Godard) continue to level punch after punch into Haley basically tag teaming him.

These were the biggies in my mind, but there were many many more. What bothers me about this is what kind of example is this sending to the youth playing the sport? This is one clear example of why the NHL cannot land a major national TV contract in the US. In addition, it really was not hockey, it was more of a constant boxing match with short intermissions and no bells. When that many players are ejected from a game and the benches are down to half a dozen players it is really not hockey. IMO this game should have been called in the second period due to the idiocy that was occurring on the ice.

I hope the NHL will review these tapes and hand out lengthy if not season ending suspensions to some of the players involved in these acts.

If you saw the game, please add your comments, but from my perspective this was just classless and not what I watch the NHL for. The only positive to this was that the "stars" of the game were not involved. Crosby and Malkin were not playing so they avoided being targets and Tavares somehow escaped the same idiocy even though he was playing.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Feb 12 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Brian

could this have been retaliation for Johnson breaking DiPietros jaw a couple weeks back?

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Boston5761
post Feb 12 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #3

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Justin
Transactions: 55

eBay: Boston5761

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I like a good brawl to send a message every now and then.

Looking for: Casey Weathers, Casey Hayward, Vintage Baseball (pre 1960), Doug Martin, Paul Kariya and Vanderbilt Players

My Photobucket

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Boston5761
post Feb 12 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #4

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

this is real hockey, not European 'hockey' lol

Looking for: Casey Weathers, Casey Hayward, Vintage Baseball (pre 1960), Doug Martin, Paul Kariya and Vanderbilt Players

My Photobucket

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Feb 12 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #5

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Having been raised on Blues/ Blackhawk rivalries in the 70-80's and watching the Broad Street Bullies in the mid seventies stanley cup finals , I like the occasional dropping of the gloves as much as I like a slick skating 1 goal game.

No, 400 penalty minute games are NOT a thing of the past, and I for one am glad. It shows me the players still have passions for their teammates. The Blues had two of the greatest under rated goons of all time Twister and Chase. Those guys sole purpose on the ice was to drop their gloves. Heck Twister could hardly skate! laugh.gif

I for one love hockey for all those reasons. I have been in the stands for a 400+ penalty game and I will go on record as saying it is one of the most memorable games I ever attended. The Buzzz, the crowd, and it was a good game even though it was PRESEASON! (it was Guy Hebert's first start in goal in the NHL in the last preseason game against the blackhawks) The OLD BARN was ROCKING! Then there are other times on TV when gloves littered the ice everytime the puck dropped that I turned off and walked away. They were fighting just to fight and there was NO REASON.

I think in reviewing the Pens/Isles game last night on ESPN that the isles sensed they needed to be retalitory for the Johnson hit on DiPietro. It was passionate and ridiculous at times but somewhat enjoyable!

Let em Play, let em fight, It is what makes it a sport I love!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Tarasadie17
post Feb 12 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #6

Off spending time with this cutie
Group Icon

First Name: Michael
Transactions: 325

Awards:
July 2009 Member of the Month

View Gallery

Create Transaction

This is one of the biggest reasons I stopped watching hockey. I remember taking in a Red Wings game around 1999 with my three god sons. Chris Chelios and Pat Verbeek of the Red Wings were taking cheap shots and acting like hooligans and here I am with three young men trying to explain to them that their behavior was not okay, meanwhile the home crowd is roaring with approval.

And people wonder why the youth of today have issues with proper respect... it is because we have been setting the standard....

"Baseball players will take anything. If you had a pill that would guarantee a pitcher 20 wins but might take five years off his life, he'd take it" MLB pitcher Jim Bouton about drug use in the Major Leagues... quoted in 1969.

I vow to no longer purchase any product that features sticker autographs...
If your user name is this color I'm afraid I'll have to pass on any proposed transactions at this time.
user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 12 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Steve, while I agree that sometime something needs to be done, especially when the league does not step in and say that a suspension should be handed out, I think last night was well overboard of a reasonable retaliatory action. To me hockey is about the game, the great shots, saves, and clean checking hard hitting fast action. The shenanigans that went on in last nights game went well beyond retaliation, it was downright disgusting lack of sportsmanship and class. It made that game look like there were 42 neanderthals skating on the ice! Why not just turn their sticks into clubs and start whacking each other until someone dies!

I think the Brent Johnson injury of Rick DiPietro had very little to do with last night they both decided to fight and Brent Johnson cleanly landed a punch, it was more of a focus on the hit by Tablot on Comeau which was ruled a clean hit by the NHL. Thus the reason for the sucker punch attempt on Talbot. OK, I get you go after Talbot for that, but what ensued after that action was ugly and not controlled by the officials on the ice. After the first group fight the officials should have went to both benches and handing out the warning that the next fight participants and any after will be thrown out of the game. Somehow that message was not conveyed if it was told.

Sorry gotta disagree with you on this one, as it has been millions of years since we were neanderthals and we really need to start acting like we have brains that think!

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 12 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #8

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Tarasadie17 @ Feb 12 2011, 11:43 AM)
And people wonder why the youth of today have issues with proper respect... it is because we have been setting the standard....

While I agree, I don't think hockey is the only culprit for this. It has to do with TV and the lack of respect some of these reality TV shows put out there as well as other things.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Tarasadie17
post Feb 12 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Feb 12 2011, 01:44 PM)
While I agree, I don't think hockey is the only culprit for this.  It has to do with TV and the lack of respect some of these reality TV shows put out there as well as other things.

Oh, I totally agree Brian. But it seems have spread to all aspects to of our society. And it appears to just be getting worse... sad.gif

"Baseball players will take anything. If you had a pill that would guarantee a pitcher 20 wins but might take five years off his life, he'd take it" MLB pitcher Jim Bouton about drug use in the Major Leagues... quoted in 1969.

If your user name is this color I'm afraid I'll have to pass on any proposed transactions at this time.
user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Boston5761
post Feb 12 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #10

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Tarasadie17 @ Feb 12 2011, 12:43 PM)

If kids oly have hockey players/athletes to look up to and show them what is right or wrong then thats a whole new issue.

My Photobucket

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Boston5761
post Feb 12 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #11

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Feb 12 2011, 04:40 PM)
Sorry gotta disagree with you on this one, as it has been millions of years since we were neanderthals and we really need to start acting like we have brains that think!

and by millions of years you mean 350,000 years. lol

Neanderthals are not that old... biggrin.gif

My Photobucket

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Feb 12 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #12

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I think my point hit home though brian, The isles simply were showing support for their teammates that got hurt by the Pens Johnson and Talbot. Whether you agree with their choice to defend their turf or not is a moot opinion, They did it and thats that. Better on the ice where the league can take action than at some bar or on some street corner where the press and media would have a field day! The saved their aggression for the ice, in front of the home crowd, who by the way have had very little to cheer for the last few years!

It isnt unheard of in the history of Hockey.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 13 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #13

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Boston5761 @ Feb 12 2011, 04:30 PM)
and by millions of years you mean 350,000 years. lol

Neanderthals are not that old... biggrin.gif

I contacted the Gieco caveman and that is what he told me! laugh.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 13 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #14

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Feb 12 2011, 04:47 PM)
I think my point hit home though brian, The isles simply were showing support for their teammates that got hurt by the Pens Johnson and Talbot. Whether you agree with their choice to defend their turf or not is a moot opinion, They did it and thats that. Better on the ice where the league can take action than at some bar or on some street corner where the press and media would have a field day! The saved their aggression for the ice, in front of the home crowd, who by the way have had very little to cheer for the last few years!

It isnt unheard of in the history of Hockey.

I did not disagree with your point for one run, but a whole game marred with nothing but fights, well I might as well have turned on Spike TV and watch the UFC (or whatever it is called now) and I think there is probably more sportsmanship and class there than there was in this game. I am sorry you don't get into a fight and then head after the other teams goalie, you don't take cheap runs at other players attempting to intentionally inflict season ending injuries (charge/boarding done to Eric Tangradi). I thought the NHL had heavily matured from the 70 and 80s mentality of thug hockey! Guess not!

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 13 2011, 08:17 AM
Post #15

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Yeah, some good news although Haley should have also been suspended:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552570

From NHL.com

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Boston5761
post Feb 13 2011, 09:39 AM
Post #16

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

pretty big suspensions handed down by the league.

My Photobucket

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
yilduz
post Feb 13 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #17

All-Star
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Dennis
Transactions: 5

eBay: yilduz

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The suspensions are absolutely the right call. I didn't watch the game, but heard about it from several people right after it ended and I wish it was one I would have seen. I can sometimes enjoy a game that has 350+ penalty minutes, and I've seen them before without all the cheap shots and dirty fighting - but after reading several stories about this game, reading this thread, and reading what the suspensions are for, I agree completely that these players were unsportsmanlike and absolutely should be suspended. About a week ago I watched the Canadiens and Bruins game, which totaled almost 200 penalty minutes and it was fun to watch, but at no point did I see two players beating up on one, players leaving a bench to join a fight, or players attacking the head of other players from behind.

I have to agree with Brian on this one. Although I still wish I would have seen this game, it was full of unsportsmanlike play and the suspensions to the players and the fine to the Islanders was warranted.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Feb 13 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #18

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

but in the end.

The islanders exacted their revenge .

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 13 2011, 06:54 PM
Post #19

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Mario issued his comments:

Statement from Pittsburgh Penguins Co-Owner and Hockey Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux
Sunday, 02.13.2011 / 2:10 PM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins

“Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn’t hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

“The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

“We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”

From the Penquins website here: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=5...vid=DL|PIT|home

Thank you Mario! Exactly what I have been saying regarding this.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Tarasadie17
post Feb 13 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Way to step up Mario thumbsup.gif

user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 30th March 2024 - 02:15 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us