Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

captkirk42's Blog
Stuff about my collection
Filter by Category:

2 Pages  1 2 > 
Entries in March 2015
 | Category: Baseball
entry Mar 28 2015, 01:24 AM
For the fun of it today early very early in the morning Saturday 28 March 2015: I opened a pack of 2014 Topps Heritage Baseball: from one of those 20 pack fairfield boxes that Target carries. I didn't get anything special except a Homie Team card (sort of it's one of those league leaders cards that sometimes is not included in team sets) I am building the base set, like most of the Heritage sets.

There are 9 cards per pack:
I already placed the cards in numerical order so this is not the order pulled although the first card is still the same:

10 NL 2013 Pitching Leaders: Adam Wainwright Cardinals, Jordan Zimmermann Nationals, Clayton Kershaw Dodgers
59 Adam Lind Blue Jays
131 Joe Girardi Yankees MGR
172 Ivan Nova Yankees
176 J.B. Shuck Angels
313 Yonder Alonso Padres
328 Jeremy Hellickson Rays
370 Matt Kemp Dodgers
434 Pedro Alvarez Pirates

entry Mar 27 2015, 04:10 PM
On Friday 27 March 2015: I got one bubble package and 1 small 200ct box.

The Box was from a Sportlots order/auction of almost 200 1980 Topps Baseball I counted 193 the listing does say it was almost 200 but didn't give an exact count. It also said "Sorry no Rickey" I'm guessing that would be Mr. Henderson's RC. I think I have that one not 100% sure. Anyway the lot was $2.75 and shipping $7.99 (actual shipping was $5 something so eah.) I haven't done an exact inventory/cataloging but there are some doubles and possibly triples or more. Most are in pretty good almost NM shape if not NM a bit musty smelling though, I thought it was a smokey smell. OH well that will leave with time. I think it was mostly the cold weather that was making it smell.

The other package was from Ebay 3 auctions from the same seller individually the shipping was originally $2.00 each but combined shipping was only $2.50 I got them for .99&@162; each. 7 cards total 2 lots of 3 cards and one individual the individual card I'll list first

1961 Fleer Baseball Greats:
120 Nap Lajoie

3 card Cardinals lot:
1961 Topps Baseball:
438 Curt Flood Cardinals
1965 Topps Baseball:
100 Ken Boyer Cardinals
1969 Topps Baseball:
432 Bob Gibson AS Cardinals (puzzle back with Pete Rose face)

3 card 1962 Post Cereal Baseball Los Angeles Angels Lot:
OK this sort of makes me a little sad I didn't read the auction completely when I haphazardly bid on this. I didn't notice the comment about the conditions of the backs I'll note what is what on each card. **Sigh**

76 Eddie Yost - Back: All four corners have some paper pieces glued where the card had been glued in some sort of album
78 Abie Pearson - Back: Has writing on back in red marker ink? says "Lynn Ramseyer" either a boy named Lynn, which is possible but uncommon or this card had belonged to a girl. The latter might be the answer as the writing is sort of neat but still looks like it is from a child's hand.
79 Ken Hunt - Back: Same as the Yost card except maybe a little more of the plain white paper it was attached to.

entry Mar 27 2015, 03:44 AM
On Thursday 26 March 2015: I got three packages (1 small bubble mailer, 1 PWE and one large envelope/package). 2 were from sportlots purchases and 1 was an ebay)

Package 1: PWE two cards in card saver (no tape thankfully) in penny sleeves (again thankfully) shipping was a standard $2.00 sportlots high for a PWE **SIGH**
1958 Topps Baseball: 219 Camilo Pascual Senators .25¢
1968 Topps Baseball: 72 Tommy John White Sox .75¢

Package 2: bubble mailer 15 cards in team bag sandwiched between two nice cardboard pieces. The two cardboard pieces were the only things taped. An OK job. Sportlots auction purchase $5.50 + $2.25 shipping: 1970s Hostess Hand Cut cards. Some of them are very badly cut, but most are OK otherwise. The bad cuts remind me of when I had some of these cards, not sure if I had these exact players but my cutting skills as a kid were awful, left-handed trying to use regular scissors or trying to cut right-handed.

1975 Hostess Baseball:
136 Ken Henderson White Sox
137 Willie Montanez Phillies
138 Thurman Munson Yankees

1976 Hostess Baseball:
126 Larry Parrish Expos - Nicely cut, unfortunately the card number on the back was marked out with black magic marker and speared some. That is the type of thing I might have done as a kid.

1978 Hostess Baseball:
7 Tommy John Dodgers
8 Greg Luzinski Phillies
9 Enos Cabell Astros
10 Doug DeCinces Orioles
12 Ed Halicki Giants
16 Earl Williams A's
17 Glenn Abbott Mariners
18 Dan Ford Twins

1979 Hostess Baseball:
67 Rick Reuschel Cubs
68 George Brett Royals
69 Lou Piniella Yankees

Package 3: This last package is a work of art. Very strange packaging. I am definitely going to put it on my card blog with scans. First it was from an Ebay auction 1 card $4.99 + $2.32 shipping. OK first the card:
1961 Topps Baseball: 472 Yogi Berra Yankees MVP

Now the odd thing about the packaging: The envelope was 9" x 12" yellow clasp envelope. Super taped with clear shipping tape that I had to cut an opening at the top to get it open. Inside that a piece of cardboard (white sort of odd triangular piece not sure what it originally boxed). Next to that, I forget if it was taped or not, a clear ziplock plastic bag 6" x 11" has red lettering "AdoptaPlatoon www.adoptaplatoon.org" strange. Stranger still in the bag a paper bag that was folded and taped some. The paper bag from Burger King "Bags of Flavor" with hand scribbled "yogi berra" barely legible. Inside that a small plain white PWE (4x6) with one fold not sealed or taped surprisingly. Then the card safe in a toploader with penny sleeve.

I did leave possitive feedback because other than the strange overly excessive packaging it was a smooth transaction with safely delivered card. My feedback reads "Good Service. Strange packaging for one card but everything is good"

entry Mar 25 2015, 12:00 AM
ON Tuesday 24 Mar 2015: I had a 2 Sportlots packages day: (OK one was a PWE the other small bubble mailer)

Package 1 PWE: One card .25¢ + $2.09 shipping - 1959 Topps Baseball 411 Whitey Lockman Orioles

Package 2 bubble mailer: .25¢ + $4.00 shipping 1971 Kellogg's Baseball 11 Jim Hickman Cubs - has a crack above the facsimile signature. No plastic loss, very little separation from card at edges of crack.

entry Mar 23 2015, 11:21 PM
Mailday for Monday 23 March 2015: 3 Packages:

Package 1: Ebay: $1.75 Free Shipping 1 item. 1970 Topps Baseball: 8 Page Booklet insert: 18 Rusty Staub Expos

Package 2: Sportlots: 9 card lot $1.25 + $2.95 shipping:
All Nine Cards Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Rangers:
1997 Pinnacle Baseball 47
1998 Bowman Baseball 4
1999 Fleer Tradition Baseball 202
2000 Upper Deck Black Diamond Baseball: 87
2000 Upper Deck Pros & Prospects Baseball: ProMotion P4
2001 Upper Deck Baseball: Most Wanted: MW3
2002 Fleer Flair Baseball: 71
2002 Fleer Ultra Baseball: 7
2014 Topps Archives Baseball: 1980 Style Design: 97

Package 3: From Blogger Drew of Drews Cards he had a FreeStuff Packages giveaway where all you had to do was claim a team (by sending him an email) and he would send a batch of that team's cards to you. I caught the tale end of the giveaway an noticed that the Nationals had not been claimed yet so I claimed them. Surprisingly the Royals and Indians were the other remaining unclaimed teams. In all he sent 46 cards about half were Nationals and the other half Expos The years ranged from 1980 Topps to 2015 Topps with some double and some triples so 38 unique cards in all. Some I already had but there were a few I needed. Players include: Andre Dawson, 1 Gary Carter, Jose Vidro, Brian Schneider, Chad Cordero, Matt Chico, Austin Kearns, Ryan Zimmerman, Ivan Rodriguez, Tyler Clippard and Jordan Zimmermann.

entry Mar 21 2015, 03:24 PM
Pretty big Mailday Saturday 21 Mar 2015:

(as opened)
Envelope 1: PWE One card in a "cardsaver" wth plain paper protecting the outside. Not great protection but better than some and no annoying tape on cardsaver. Eba purchase $5.99 + $2.00 shipping 1965 Topps Baseball 415 Curt Flood Cardinals

Envelope 2: PWE 2 cards in toploaders tape on top ugh. Sportlots .25¢/each plus $3.00 shipping
1972 Topps Baseball 37 Carl Yastrzemski Red Sox
1974 Topps Baseball 350 Bob Gibson Cardinals

Envelope 3: PWE envelope sealed with extra clear shipping tape. One card toploader taped with clear shipping tape, UGH came off with no residue though good. From Ebay $4.50 Free Shipping 1965 Topps Baseball 200 Joe Torre Braves

Envelope 4: bubble mailer from Abel (5tooseet) at TCC. I had won a contest he held by shear luck of being the closest to the actual score without going over in a playoff or championship contest. The prize of my choosing from Ebay limited to $20. The price of this beauty was $19.99 with free shipping squeaking into the limit: 1952 Red Man Tobacco Baseball[/b] with Tab AL25 Eddie Yost Senators. Abel even included the business card of the seller, who provided the card in a postcard sized toploader that fits (It would be a sideloader for horizontal/landscaped postcards)

Envelope 5: Final package bubble mailer. From Sportlots for .25¢ plus $2.25 shipping one card 2010 Allen & Ginter's Baseball Mini A&G Back 107 Adam Dunn Nationals

entry Mar 21 2015, 01:04 PM
On Friday 20 March 2015: I received 3 packages all 3 were from Ebay.

Package 1: $14.99 +$2.00 shipping for 14 card 1989-90 ProCards CBA (Continental Basketball Association) Cedar Rapids Silver Bullets Team Set. This team has nothing to do with my Homie Bullets (nay Wizards). They were apparently sponsored by Coors Light. I just thought it would be cool to have this set, plus it has their mascot a Bear another reason I wanted the set. It is in a clear plastic wrapper still sealed. As tempting as it is to keep sealed due to the rarity of these cards I will eventually open them to scan them, store them in a binder and blog about the Mascot and maybe them.

Package 2: A sub/insert set I've been wanting for ages. I had one or two maybe more over the years. For $3.99 with Free Shipping I got the 11 card set of the 1989 Bowman Baseball Reprints Insert Sub-Set. I think this subset was only in the hanging rack packs. The backs has a huge sweepstakes entry rules with a tiny section above that telling about the reprint of the card front.

Package 3: Of the three packages this was my most anticipated of the three highly anticipated shipments. For only $6.50 plus Free Shipping I got a highly sought after card: 1964 Topps Baseball 103 Curt Flood Cardinals. Seller listed it as fair/good there is a full across the horizon of the card crease (that crosses over Curt's neck. It is hard to see from a distance little paper loss on it) there is also a slight vertical crease. On the back there is a black mark directly on the stat for his 1957 at bats. It looks kind of like an 8 it seems to cover over some paper loss on what should be a 3. Other than that the card is very nice and looks good until you inspect it closely. I had 2 big reasons for getting this card. First I need it to eventually complete the 1964 Topps set. Second it tends to get pretty expensive. Plus there is a collector/hoarder who has over 4,000 copies of this card. He is trying to get the entire run, or as many as humanly possible. Set collectors like me make having a goal of getting every single card of a set totally impossible. (a reference article on the "Flood Guy" ). The seller added a "bonus" card one of those collector starter set reprints of a rare tobacco card. This one is the 1912 T207 Brown Background card of Irving Lewis Boston Braves. The back is not a replica of the card but one of those starter set information things. It is an updated version of the card. I am not sure exactly when or where it comes from. A few years back a blogger Cardboard Junkie mentioned this card his is an earlier copy with the back slightly different than what I have. His card back has a yellow background at the top where it is mentioned the original card is valued at $700.00 the updated one I have has a red box and the value is $2,000.00. Oh and this seller sent in a PWE with the card sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. The envelope has a Forever stamp of Wilt Chamberlin.

entry Mar 19 2015, 10:15 PM
On Thursday 19 Mar 2015: I got two packages.

First package a one card Ebay order 1965 O-Pee-Chee Baseball 40 Frank Howard Dodgers $7.12 + $2.50 shipping

Second package was a Five for $5 sale from Dwight AKA: Urbanmonk on TCC and TCZ. I bought 5 serial numbered Football cards for $5 delivered. Most of the serial numbers are very high. As a bonus he tossed in five Hockey cards (his specialty) for my Homie Capitals. Only one serial numbered.

FOOTBALL:
1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified: Platinum Red Football: 14 Tony Banks Rams #d 1676/4999 Front still has the plastic cover that says "peel off"

1998 SPx Finite Football:
72 Isaac Bruce Rams #d 6367/7600
197 Jim Harbaugh Ravens #d 07896/10100

2007 Gridiron Gear Football: Playbook PB-13 Torry Holt Rams 046/500

2010 Topps Prime Football Retail Bronze:
126 DeSean Jackson Eagles 0523/1379

HOCKEY:
2014-15 (Upper Deck) O-Pee-Chee Hockey: Retro Marquee Rookie U35 Andre Burakovsky Capitals
2014-15 Upper Deck Series Two Hockey:
438 Braden Holtby Capitals Exclusives #d 090/100
Hockey Heroes 2010s - HH80 Alex Ovechkin Capitals
Portraits - P-51 Andre Burakovsky Capitals

2014-15 Upper Deck Black Diamond Hockey 102 Nicklas Backstrom Capitals

| Category: Basketball
entry Mar 14 2015, 03:24 PM
On Saturday 14 March 2015: I got one package from a sportlots purchase for $1.25 plus $6.00 shipping (a little high maybe, but for what it was and coming in at 7oz. maybe maybe not) Six packs of 2012-13 Panini Past And Present Basketball. I plan on opening them sometime since I am going for the set of this. I don't pursue many modern Basketball sets because I only like the Washington Wizards Was Bullets from today's teams.

entry Mar 13 2015, 11:20 PM
on Friday 13 Mar 2015: I got the latest copy of Non-Sport Update Magazine w/ Bates Motel on the Cover. I also got 3 PWEs from Sportlots auctions.

PWE 1: One lot 2 Cards $1.25 + $1.59 shipping
2013 Topps Baseball
1 Bryce Harper Nationals base
1 Bryce Harper Nationals Emerald Glitter Variant

PWE 2: One card 25¢ + $2.00 shipping 2014 Panini Donruss Classics Baseball: Timeless Tributes: Gold 33 Eddie Murray Orioles #d 05/25

PWE 3: Envelope has a Jimmi Hendrix stamp cool. Two lots 4 cards total both lots 25¢ + $2.00 shipping
1965 Topps Baseball 127 Frank Lary Braves
1977 Topps Baseball
32 Checklist cards 1-132 UNMarked
451 Checklist cards 397-528 UNMarked
562 Checklist cards 529-660 UNMarked

2 Pages  1 2 > 
SMTWTFS

My Picture
User Photo

Lo-Fi Version Time: 24th April 2024 - 05:26 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us