Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > »  
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Things Overheard at the Shop......2012......, New Location.....Same Crazy People.....

Gforce083
post Apr 20 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #21

HOF
Group Icon

Transactions: 540
(View: Pending | Failed)

Awards:
2008 Favorite Box Break Host

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Apr 19 2012, 06:04 PM)
I say that only because the couple big spenders bring up the average for the folks who typically spend $20 or less. Actually, that would be an interesting study. If I have time this weekend I may crunch some numbers and get an answer for everyone.

I'm not trying to figure out how much money you make a weekend... I just thought it would be cool to hear about some "intelligent" interactions as well as what these big spenders come in and buy.

User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Apr 20 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #22

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

First Name: Chad
Transactions: 186

eBay: cardguy37122

Awards:
2009 Must Read of the Year

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Apr 20 2012, 08:24 AM)
I'm not trying to figure out how much money you make a weekend... I just thought it would be cool to hear about some "intelligent" interactions as well as what these big spenders come in and buy.

No worries G. I just usually don't include the normal transactions because they are much more boring. smile.gif Now that a card/memorabilia shop has a reality show (Ball Boys on ABC), it is only a matter of time before everyone thinks I am making millions! smile.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Apr 24 2012, 11:53 PM
Post #23

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Another weekend in the books. Business was strong again. The new location really is like a whole new world. Still I encounter some of the same silly non-sense as before, just not as much. This past weekend saw only a couple of run ins of interest for the readers of this thread.

A man stopped in early Saturday accompanied by his wife/girlfriend. I greeted them in customary fashion with the usual spiel. They browsed around for a few minutes and then asked everyone's favorite question, "Do you buy cards?" rolleyes.gif Of course I answered in customary fashion, "Only cards produced BEFORE 1980". "Well I have a block of cards that are still in the plastic. Never been opened" the man said. I doubted that he was holding on to a 1952 Topps set, still in the plastic, all these years so I thought I would ask just because I am a glutton for punishment. "What year are they from?" I questioned. "Well, I'm not sure. They have all the players in there. They've got the Rangers in there too" he continued. Now don't get me wrong, I like the Texas Rangers just fine, I'm just not sure why this guy chose to stress the fact that his block of cards, still sealed in the plastic, contained all the Rangers players. "I used to manage a convenience store" the lady chimed in. "These were part of a Christmas display we did with some toys, candy, beer, and stuff" she stated. blink.gif Nothing says Christmas like a cold 6 packs of brew. "I think they were from 2008 or 2009. They are all there. They've got the Rangers in there I know" the guy confirmed again. "Sounds like you may have a Topps factory set" I said. "Yeah they are Topps" the guy agreed. With that unusual exchange the happy couple left with the woman telling the man how they need to bring them in for me to see.......Rangers and all. laugh.gif

Later that day a man came in with his two kids. They were browsing around talking aloud about the autographs and were in awe of everything. They were discussing how they would purchase this card and that card and this item and that item IF they had the money. Then they discovered my display case of local teams autos and GU. They ran down the list of Titans autos discussing how they would be worth something IF they were really signed. Then they had a loud talk abou the Marc Mariani Donruss Rated Rookie auto and how it appeared to be printed on the card rather than signed. Without realizing it, I had apparently worn my invisible suit again and could not be seen standing 2 feet away from the loud ramblers. Then came my all-time favorite question............"Are these really signed?" the boy asked. "Yes they are. They come right out of the pack already signed and the COA is printed on the back of the card. Card companies pay players to sign cards to insert into packs and have been regularly for the last 15 years or so" I further explained. This sppech was met with the sounds of silence. blink.gif After a brief pause, they started right back with their discussions about the autographs and how they MIGHT be worth something IF only they were real. dry.gif After all these years I still can't comprehend why people just cannot accept the fact that someone who deals in sports memorabilia could have items that have been autographed by famous athletes. That remains a great mystery. It will go down in history with all the other great riddles such as, whether or not I do in fact BUY cards, the location of the ATM machine and/or bathroom, if I am there every weekend, and of course if I have ever tried those delicious homemade pork rinds, kettle corn, or "Country Boy's Toe Jam Fruit Preserves". laugh.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
SFGiants
post Apr 25 2012, 01:28 AM
Post #24

Refracticus Maximus
Group Icon

First Name: Jerad
Transactions: 36

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Great read. IF only those autos were REALLY real!

Jerad

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Apr 28 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #25

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I thought I would try something new today. Live stories from the shop....as they happen. This exchange just went down a few moments ago.

An older gentlemen in a Hover Round equipped with an oxygen tank rolled in and said, "I bet I have a card you don't have." I just love it when someone tries to play a game of everything I have is better than what you have. "Oh yeah?" I said lacking enthusiasm. "It is a rookie card" the guy continued. I looked at him waiting for the payoff. We shared a long awkward pause. "California Angels" the guy continued. After another long awkward pause I said, "What is the player's name?" hoping to get an answer within the next day or so. "It's my nephew" he asserted. "O.k. What is your nephew's name?" I asked again. "Minnis" he answered somewhat unsurely. "His name is Minnis. He was a shortstop. Broke his hand. A fastball got him. That's all it takes." the man concluded as he rolled away. And thus, I have been educated as to the short pro career of the promising Angels prospect, Minnis. blink.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Apr 28 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #26

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Apr 20 2012, 08:24 AM)

I meant to post this last week. The average transaction amount was $39.67 per transaction for last weekend. smile.gif Several transactions north of $100 brought the average up again for the $1 - $10 sales. Business continues to be strong at this location. I'm seeing more "big ticket" items such as autographed memorabilia selling well. My WWE merchandise sales have dropped somewhat but still remain a solid part of my business. Unopened pack sales have come to a screeching halt. That is probably the most surprising and disappointing part of my move thus far. Also, people are really loving my McFarlane figures at this location. I am waiting now for a regular vintage buyer to stop by and pick up the sweet 1961 Topps Mickey Mantle card that I have put back for him. That sale alone will bring today's average up ! laugh.gif As always.....more to come........

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
finestkind
post Apr 28 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #27

Unregistered

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Apr 28 2012, 12:34 PM)
I thought I would try something new today. Live stories from the shop....as they happen. This exchange just went down a few moments ago.

An older gentlemen in a Hover Round equipped with an oxygen tank rolled in and said, "I bet I have a card you don't have." I just love it when someone tries to play a game of everything I have is better than what you have. "Oh yeah?" I said lacking enthusiasm. "It is a rookie card" the guy continued. I looked at him waiting for the payoff. We shared a long awkward pause. "California Angels" the guy continued. After another long awkward pause I said, "What is the player's name?" hoping to get an answer within the next day or so. "It's my nephew" he asserted. "O.k. What is your nephew's name?" I asked again. "Minnis" he answered somewhat unsurely. "His name is Minnis. He was a shortstop. Broke his hand. A fastball got him. That's all it takes." the man concluded as he rolled away. And thus, I have been educated as to the short pro career of the promising Angels prospect, Minnis.  blink.gif

Maybe he meant

user posted image

+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Apr 29 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #28

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(finestkind @ Apr 28 2012, 06:00 PM)
Maybe he meant
  user posted image

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You might be on to something.......

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Apr 29 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #29

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Another live update......this just happened moments ago.

A lady came in eating a bag of popcorn, dropping most of on my shop floor, flanked by her band of merry misfits. "Do you know anyone in town that buys collectors?" she questioned. "Buys what?" I asked for clarification. "Collectors" she asserted as she pointed to my display cases filled with cards. Now I'm pretty sure that even here, human trafficking is still illegal, so I informed her that I bought cards and memorabilia in order to re-stock my inventory. She simply said, "Oh. Well they are gold plated and autographed" as she walked away with her brood. I still don't understand how the Shop At Home Network ever went out of business since everyone in this area managed to purchase the "Limited Edition 24 kt Gold Specials" that they were hocking late at night. I still have nightmares with Don West screaming, "A GEM MINT 10!!!" rolleyes.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Apr 29 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #30

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

This doozy of a brag-fest just concluded and man am I exhausted. A guy came in, who I recognized from my previous location. Luckily he didn't recognize me. He had been in my shop a year or so ago and told me much of the same garbage. This time I let him ramble on before letting him know that he had told me all this before. He started out with, "I have a hypothetical question." "O.k." I said while thinking aren't those the types of questions that aren't meant to be answered but are designed to make a point. blink.gif Anyway he started going on and on about how he had 350,000 cards going "Plum back to the 1940s". He went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about this great massive collection he has acquired over the years. I listened or at least pretended to, while he explained to me the rarest of the rare items that he had such as cards from the 80s, 90s, and even some Troy Aikman cards in a can! laugh.gif He also explained how he refused to let anyone view this collection although many have tried over the years. "I would just have to stand right there with a camera and watch them. I would be afraid they would bend a corner or something." he declared. laugh.gif "It is going to be difficult to sell your collection without allowing anyone to see it" I explained. "I don't want to sell just one or two cards. I could do that all day long. I want to sell everything. If someone offered my .50 per card I would probably sell them. That would be an awesome deal. You would be getting some $300 and $400 cards for .50" he said proudly. "Maybe so but you would be getting thousands of .05 and .10 cards for .50 as well. Usually there are far more of those in a collection that the $300 and $400 ones" I countered. He kept on hanging around talking about things that made no sense like how he had cards as big and thick as his hand that were old, old, old. As usual I was unimpressed. He told this tall tale all while leaning on my display case oh high grade vintage cards that apparently he didn't notice. He finally left after providing me with this parting shot of business wisdom, "You've got to spend money to make money. If you can't afford to spend any money, then you aren't going to make much money." clapping.gif That is true in some sense. Of course I prefer to spend money on things that I can actually re-sell to make money and not old, old, old, Pinnacle cans of 1990s Troy Aikman cards. That is just me though. I'm weird like that. Before anyone asks I did not spend $175,000 on this collection. Oh brother.......the day is only half over........

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
road_runner_1964
post Apr 29 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #31

Seeking Seq #0264
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Bob
Transactions: 563

eBay: road_runner_1964

SportsBuy: 94849

Awards:
2010 Final Final Four Way Champion 2009 and 2010 Most Generous Person 2008 Most Valuable Member (MVP) Member of the Month August 2008

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

wink.gif

Collector Zone Team Manager
user posted image....................................

Mr 264's Bucket 09-04-12 | My Website Needs and Haves

Currently 464 in the 264 SPx PC | and 3240 in the 264 "variant" PC

WHY 264? | 264 Stories | SPx Football Needs List | Dane Sanzenbacher Needs List

User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
dielonthug
post Apr 29 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #32

Its pronouced Die-lon-thug
Group Icon

First Name: Dylan
Transactions: 69

View Gallery

Create Transaction

LOL, the woman asking you if you buy collectors had me rolling. Love the human trafficking line. laugh.gif

And "technically", that guy with the "Minnie" card does have a card you don't have. "technically" we all have millions of cards you don't actually have, lol.

"Card collecting is primarily an inherited love of pictures." - Jefferson Burdick

DIELON'S BUCKET

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
tyrodsports
post Apr 29 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #33

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Rodney
Transactions: 413

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Apr 29 2012, 12:34 PM)
laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

You might be on to something.......

Lolololol

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post May 8 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #34

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Nothing too much this past weekend in the way of the humorous or disturbing. Lots of the same old questions, "Do you buy cards?", "Do you have any My Little Ponies?", "Do you take cash?", "Do you frame jerseys?", etc. The only moment that gave me a chuckle occured when a regular customer stopped by to say hello and introduce me to her boyfriend. He immediately puffed up and started to tell me about all the great stuff that he had when he was younger. I guess he was in full impress the girlfriend mode. Then he had to show her his knowledge of baseball by asking me this, "So how much is that MVP card of John Maddux worth these days?" unsure.gif "Who?" I asked somewhat confused. "Atlanta Braves" the guy said with a smirk like I was the idiot. "You mean Greg Maddux?" I asked. "Yeah Greg Maddux. How much is that MVP card of his worth?" he continued. I then had to inform him of the mass production of the 80s and 90s stuff and how most of Maddux's cards are fairly cheap..........even THAT MVP card.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
osufan2383
post May 12 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #35

Mark Herzlich SuperCOllector
Group Icon

Transactions: 24

Restrictions:
Current Transactions Only

View Gallery

Create Transaction

lol puff his chest only to be deflated because he is not that smart.

No more rookie collection

Collecting
New York Giants
Mark Herzlich
Keith Rivers
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Blackhawks
Stephen Strasburg
Bryce Harper
Military Veterans
Team USA Members
AJ (WWE)
Kaitlyn (WWE)
CM Punk (WWE)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post May 22 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #36

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Just checking in with an update or two. Not really much new to report. I still get asked if I buy cards about 20 times per day. I still get told stories of all the great super rare mint condition turn of the century rarities that everyone else has and are willing to sell, but never seem to bring them in for me to look at. Basically, I deal with a lot of folks that are full of ...........misinformation and incorrect ideas about their stuff. One such example occured this past Saturday.

A lady and her husband came in and began to scan around my display cases. They settled on the vintage case and the lady began wondering aloud how much "daddy's cards" were worth. Luckily for them I was standing behind the counter less than 3 feet away. Of course, I had yet again worn my invisible suit so I could go undetected and eavesdrop on all these great conversations. Finally, before her head exploded with worry, the lady acknowledged my existence and said, "I have a question". "O.k. What can I help you with?" I responded. "How much is a Pete Rose rookie card?" the lady continued. Now folks, I have been asked about the Pete Rose rookie card more than any other single sports card in history. It seems as though everyone has one or two or in this case...... "That is a rare card. In near mint or better condition that is about a $1,000 card" I said answering the lady's previous question. She smiled and looked at her husband and said, "My daddy has 3 of them!" blink.gif Of course he does. Apparently I was sick at home the day everyone received their multiple 1963 Topps Pete Rose Rookie cards. dry.gif Everyone has a Pete Rose Rookie Card, a Nolan Ryan Rookie Card, and some Michael Jordan and Dale Earnhardt 24kt Gold cards. That is the foundation upon which all of these people's ultra valuable collections are built. "It is a pretty rare card. I have only seen a dozen or so in person in my 25 years of dealing in sports cards" I continued. "There are also a lot of counterfeits of that card" I asserted. "Well these are the real deal" the lady confirmed. Then her and her companion thanked me and went away. Then I was thankful. I will wait with great anticipation for the day that this lady brings in all 3 of her 1986 Pete Rose Years subset cards valued at .25 each. laugh.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
Luke2411
post May 22 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #37

Bazinga!
Group Icon

First Name: Jeremy
Transactions: 476

eBay: Luke2411

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

My Photobucket Collection

My Youtube Box Breaks

user posted image

Collecting Texas Ranger Cards and Memorabilia!!!

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
ISLP55
post May 22 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #38

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: James
Transactions: 31

eBay: islp55

SportsBuy: 95310

OpenChecklist:
ISLP55

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Man you have the life of Riley. You ever seen that old show? You have a good thing going there in the new location and people surrounding you that seem to make it so! LOL If you never seen the the show you may not get the referance.

My Photobucket
My Webpage
Collect: Team: Texas Rangers: Auto/GU Players:Mark Teixeira, Cal Ripkin,Michael Young , Nolan Ryan, Ian Kinsler
Teixiera 1025/?200 RC; Auto:3 GU:1. Autos:36 GU: 149
Michael Young 355/?867 Autos:17 GU: 45

Ian Kinsler 129/?467 Autos:22 GU:7 Josh Hamilton
SHipping: I use sleeves and top loaders or team bags and mail in bubble and w/DC if needed. Please do the same.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post May 24 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #39

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Luke2411 @ May 22 2012, 09:36 PM)

Well looks like daddy only has 2 left now.......... laugh.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post May 26 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #40

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

A couple tidbits from today's happenings at the shop. Once again, we will prove that most people have absolutely no idea what they have. A guy strolled in and said that he had been directed to me by someone else. Who that person is that did the directing, I have no idea. If I ever find out though...... dry.gif Anyway, the guy sat a bag on one of my display case and said, "I have some old comic books and ball cards here that I thought you may need. Do you buy cards?" There it is! I had been open for business all of 30 minutes and I already received my favorite inquiry. "Only cards produced BEFORE 1980" I stressed. "I've got some 50s, 60s, and 70s in there" the guy continued."Ok" I said knowing in the back of my mind exactly where this was headed. I opened a shoe box to reveal some cards arranged neatly in 2 rows. I could see the back of the cards in one row and quickly my trained eye recognized that they were........drumroll please.......1989 Topps baseball. A quick thumb through the other row revealed 1988 Topps baseball and 1990 Topps baseball. "These are 1988,89, and 90" I said looking at the guy waiting for 1950s, 60s, and 70s to fall from the sky. The guy got somewhat agitated and said, "I don't see how these cards could be from the 80s because I wasn't even collecting then." blink.gif I informed him that if he doubted my information the dates could be found on the back of any of the cards. then he went on his merry way grumbling and muttering under his breath. I just love happy endings.

I am still waiting for another golden opportunity to retire to waltz through my door. I received a call from a man yesterday informing me that he had found me via the CardShopFinder.com smart phone app. That was cool to hear. The folks at www.cardshopfinder.com do a great job helping promote card shops across the US and Canada. The guy then went on to tell me that he had about 15 cards that he was looking to sell. I then informed him that i was looking only for cards produced BEFORE 1980. He then rambled on and on telling me about each card. After he ran through a few of the cards he had, I noticed an interesting trend......1968 Topps Nolan Ryan RC, 1969 Topps Reggie Jackson RC, 1981 Topps Joe Montana RC, 1982 Topps Cal Ripken RC,1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens RC, etc...... You see every card that the guy managed to name is known to have many counterfeit examples out there. I didn't tell him that. I invited him to bring them in and if I didn't want to purchase them I may be able to offer him my consignment services. I just want to get out the old magnifying glass and take a closer look. He said he lived in Sparta which is about 20 miles south of my location. He said he didn't want to "come all the way there if I didn't want to buy". Still he agreed to bring the cards in. I am about 30 minutes from shut down and still nothing. Maybe tomorrow....maybe tomorrow. Tune in next time and see if these cards ever showed up in my shop.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 19th March 2024 - 01:59 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us