Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Looking to FILL a new group break., Input Requested

mjda
post Sep 18 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #1

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

First Name: Mike
Transactions: 268
(View: Pending | Failed)

Awards:
May 2009 Member of The Month

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

I'd like to start hosting my own group breaks on a regular basis, and I'd like to get some input from the those of you who like to participate in these breaks. I'd like to know what kinds of products do you guys like doing most? What price range do most of you like to stick to for your breaks? Basically, I'd like as much information about what you like to get from a group break as you're willing to give me. I've answered a few questions that I'm sure will be thought, and I'd gladly answer any others.

Why do you want to do these breaks? What will you get out of it?

I'm actually not looking to gain anything other than some nice PC hits. I can guarantee you that I will not be profiting from these breaks, and will more than likely be taking a loss on every one.

With the number of breaks on TCC, why should I join yours?

I will be completely dedicated to my breaks with every available minute of my time. I'm usually online 6+ hours on weekdays and quite a bit more than that on weekends (mostly all spent on TCC). Given the amount of free time I have, I can almost guarantee that nobody else would be able to get the cards sorted and shipped any faster than I can and will. Most times, I can have your cards sorted the day of the break, and shipped out the following day.

Again, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll answer them the best I can. If you'd be interested in joining me in making my next break a success, please help by giving your feedback on pricing and/or box selection.

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mjda
post Sep 19 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #2

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Nobody has any input at all? I'll assume that either means nobody wants to join my break, or just that nobody cares to talk about it beforehand. I guess I'll just have to try another break and find out. I'll probably start the thread tonight, but here's what I'm looking at doing. If you read this, pleas let me know what you think about it.

Possible Products

2x 08 Donruss Threads (8 total hits)
1x 08 Absolute Memoribilia (4 hits)

Price

$21 for each spot (1 selected/1 random)

Again, I'd still like to have a little input to find out if you guys think this could work, and if not, why?

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
captkirk42
post Sep 19 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #3

Old School Vintage
Group Icon

First Name: Kirk
Transactions: 228

eBay: captkirk42

OpenChecklist:
klandersen

Awards:
June 2012 Member of the Month

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Hi there,

Just seeing your thread now. Here is some input from me.

I like the group breaks that can keep the price to the individual at around $20 or less (sometimes a little more for higher end products).

I like a mix of products. I started joining group breaks so I could get some cards from the higher-end products that I couldn't afford to purchase on my own.

I usually prefer paying via Paypal, but like the option of sending a M.O. sometimes when my Paypal is low. I try to avoid the M.O. route but have had to resort to it sometimes.

Drafting although I really like the excitement of the live or time limited, drafting process (and miss them in a way) using a random system speeds up the process.

I like to be in both regular monthly groups where you always have your fave team as #1 and those where your #1 team is random every time. I can be frustrating having to wait for an opening in a group if your team is already taken.

I also like when the breaker has the time to be able to post the hits after the break for those who missed the video or may have had problems viewing the video.

What I Collect
Washington DC area Sports teams and Vintage plus Non-Sport.
user posted image
MY WANT LIST:
Master Want List on Blog

BLOGS & STORES:
TCC BLOG/ CaptKirk42 Card Blog/ Curly W Cards/ CaptKirk42 on COMC/ My Ecrater Store/ My Squidoo.com lense

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is online!PMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
captkirk42
post Sep 19 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #4

Old School Vintage
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
klandersen

Awards:

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Oh BTW If your group takes off I'll take the Redskins.

I usually take the Rams, partly because they and the Skins are my 2 fave teams. So when I can afford to take two spots I usually take Both, so I may on occasion take two spots, but can't always afford it.

What I Collect
user posted image
MY WANT LIST:
Master Want List on Blog

BLOGS & STORES:
TCC BLOG/ CaptKirk42 Card Blog/ Curly W Cards/ CaptKirk42 on COMC/ My Ecrater Store/ My Squidoo.com lense

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
mjda
post Sep 19 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #5

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. I've done my best to reply to each portion of your response to better give you an idea of what you should expect from one of my breaks.

QUOTE(captkirk42)
I like the group breaks that can keep the price to the individual at around $20 or less (sometimes a little more for higher end products).

That's what I'd like to do with my first break, but then eventually maybe expand to do some cheaper breaks and more expensive breaks.

QUOTE(captkirk42)
I usually prefer paying via Paypal, but like the option of sending a M.O. sometimes when my Paypal is low. I try to avoid the M.O. route but have had to resort to it sometimes.

I've had thoughts about this, and so we don't have to wait on money orders to be delivered before we order, I've decided I would only accept a few money orders per break. That way we can go ahead and order the boxes while the money orders are in the mail. Obviously, I wouldn't break the boxes though, until all the spots are paid for, but at least they'll have been ordered.

QUOTE(captkirk42)
Drafting although I really like the excitement of the live or time limited, drafting process (and miss them in a way) using a random system speeds up the process.

This is definitely something I'd be open to, but how do you determine the time limit, and what happens when someone doesn't select their team in the given time? How do you decide what team to select on their behalf?

QUOTE(captkirk42)
I like to be in both regular monthly groups where you always have your fave team as #1 and those where your #1 team is random every time. I can be frustrating having to wait for an opening in a group if your team is already taken.

I'd like to just start off by doing random breaks throughout the month. Maybe a few breaks a month even if possible. If I continue to have the same following of people joining time after time, I would consider starting a monthly group where everyone keeps their favorite team on a regular basis, but just starting out I think it's only fair for me to make all teams available to everyone. Obviously though, I'd have the top rookie teams as random/draft only teams.

QUOTE(captkirk42)
I also like when the breaker has the time to be able to post the hits after the break for those who missed the video or may have had problems viewing the video.

This is exactly how I'd like to separate myself from other breaks. With the amount of free time I have, I could easily do the break, scan and post the images, sort, and package the cards all in the same day. I would also fully plan on getting all the cards in the mail the morning following the break. Obviously large case breaks, or breaks where there are an extremely large number of cards could be an exception.

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
captkirk42
post Sep 19 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #6

Old School Vintage
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
klandersen

Awards:

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I am OK with what you have said so far.

RE: Draft Time limit

QUOTE(captkirk42)

This is definitely something I'd be open to, but how do you determine the time limit, and what happens when someone doesn't select their team in the given time? How do you decide what team to select on their behalf?

Most of the breaks I've been in that had the limit gave each person 1 full day to reply after the draft order was determined, some breaks wanted to be quicker and have had limits of between 6-12 hours (some I think evern less). Anything more than 1 day is too long to wait, any longer and your break goes into the 2nd month.

Usually people, at least those who check TCC often reply pretty quickly and depending on the time set for the beginning of the draft (typicallly say 6PM Eastern time) the draft takes no longer than 2 or 3 days at the very most. Late Night Hours usually delays the draft by a few hours.

Usually a draft order list is created randomly, the list is posted on the first page of the break with the list of available teams and a PM is sent to whoever is next on the list (the subtitle is usually updated to say "memberC3P0 is UP" Or "memberC3P0 is on the clock"). To make things flow quickly you can request that as each member makes their pick they post the teams remaining and who is next and send a PM to that person. [I picked a random old thread to use as an example for the process this one is from the Official Hockey Hobby Box Break Club for August. It seems to have all the breaking process, the drafting I think started on page 3?]

If a member misses their window of opportunity they forfeit their pick and go to the bottom end of the draft list. They will then end up getting the last unpicked team.

I think most group breaks are skipping this because of the lag time between picks, and to make the process quick yet still fair.

What I Collect
user posted image
MY WANT LIST:
Master Want List on Blog

BLOGS & STORES:

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
mjda
post Sep 20 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #7

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Well, I ended up choosing the 2 products I listed above. I went ahead and ordered extra sleeves/team bags/toploaders so they'd be here before time to break. Everything is ready, and now all I need is for people to give me a chance to become one of the regular hosters for these breaks. If what you've read from me above sounds like a break you'd be interested in joining, please check out my break.

Click here to view.

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
tileman
post Sep 20 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #8

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Todd
Transactions: 306

Restrictions:
Current Transactions Only

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

if the raiders are available, put me down for the raiders...

if the raiders are reserved for random, but me down for the cowboys then

MY BUCKETT:
http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/tileman800/

Looking for Marshawn Lynch Bowman Chrome Auto Red Refractor

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
+Quote Post
mjda
post Sep 20 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #9

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(tileman @ Sep 20 2008, 08:33 PM)
if the raiders are available, put me down for the raiders...

if the raiders are reserved for random, but me down for the cowboys then

The break in question is the one you took the Lions in.

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 24th April 2024 - 06:56 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us