Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Traverse City tournament a hotbed for future stars, NHL

redwing40
post Sep 11 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #1

HOF
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 248
(View: Pending | Failed)

Awards:
Member of the Month Jan 15

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Well its that time of year, My aunt live's down the street in TC, I been there a few time's but never for the Tournaments or the Spring camp for the Red Wings, but my aunt goes every year and meet players on the streets, kind of a small town atmosphere.

So I found this story I wanted to share, someday I will make the 5-6 hour trip and hang in town for a week cool.gif

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- It was four years ago that Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner provided fans a glimpse of what his future would hold when he played in the Traverse City Prospect Tournament at Centre ICE Arena in Traverse City, Mich.

Just three months after the Hurricanes made him the No. 7 pick in the 2010 NHL Draft, Skinner helped lead his team to a third-place finish at the eight-team event behind a tournament-leading seven points (two goals) in four games.

Skinner went on to earn a spot on Carolina's roster out of training camp, had 31 goals and 63 points in 82 regular-season games, was an injury replacement at the NHL All-Star Game and won the 2011 Calder Memorial Trophy as the NHL rookie of the year.

A number of current NHL stars, including Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner, got their first taste of high-pressure professional hockey at the Traverse City Prospects Tournament.

"Going into the tournament, you realize it is one of the first times that management sees you at the next level where you are playing against older guys," Skinner said. "I went into it knowing that it was going to be competitive and a lot of fun. I just tried to relax and work my hardest."

Skinner certainly wasn't the first prospect from the Traverse City Tournament to turn into an NHL superstar, and he won't be the last.

That's precisely the mindset of many of the young players taking part in the 16th annual Traverse City tournament, which begins Friday.

"The tournament was a great experience," Skinner said. "It's a young guy's first taste of the next level. I just wanted to be one of those guys that management was looking at as a potential player. It helped me prepare for the main camp and it gave me game experience I needed."

The five-day tournament expanded to eight teams in 2006 and has become an annual staple for coaches and general managers to evaluate their prospects against their peers.

The host Detroit Red Wings, who celebrated their first tournament championship last year, will compete in the Gordie Howe Division, along with the Minnesota Wild, St. Louis Blues and Columbus Blue Jackets. The Ted Lindsay Division will feature the Hurricanes, Dallas Stars, New York Rangers and Buffalo Sabres.

The Red Wings will be looking to win consecutive titles for the first time since the Blue Jackets won back-to-back in 2005 and 2006.

"The tournament is a high-pressure situation for any player, but it is also a great opportunity," Skinner said. "As a young guy that is the place you want to be, showcasing your skills, and proving you are a potential NHL player and hopefully earn an opportunity like I did."

In the tournament's history, 440 players who participated have skated in at least one NHL game, including six with the 2013-14 Red Wings: Tomas Jurco, Alexey Marchenko, Xavier Ouellet, Teemu Pulkkinen, Riley Sheahan and Ryan Sproul.
"[The Traverse City tournament] always carries a lot of weight," Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said. "The best players at that tournament usually make the NHL right away. Guys who are ready or close to it usually rise to the top and you can see it. It's a great tournament to evaluate players."

The teams will play each of the three opponents in their division in a round-robin format followed by a crossover game on the final day of the tournament. The top finishers in each division will then play in the championship game on Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET. All games will take place at David's Rink and Huntington Rink at the Centre ICE Arena, the training camp home of the Red Wings.

"I'm a fan of all sports and appreciate what baseball does with the development and evaluation of their players," Red Wings GM Ken Holland said. "They keep their kids moving around the clock, throughout the year. I feel the best way to evaluate young players was to watch them against players their age rather than having them out on the ice with players much older and wiser. It would have been difficult for any of these young players to go up against the Steve Yzermans or Brendan Shanahans at training camp, but this setting gives them a chance."

The tournament has seen its share of star power through the years, with forwards Henrik Zetterberg, Dany Heatley, Pavel Datsyuk, Carl Hagelin, Niklas Kronwall, Derek Stepan, T.J. Oshie, Evander Kane, Ryan Johansen and Gustav Nyquist, and defensemen John Moore, Justin Faulk and Alex Pietrangelo all playing in it.

Last year the tournament featured top prospects Anthony Mantha of Detroit; Boone Jenner and Ryan Murray of Columbus; Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov of Buffalo; Valeri Nichushkin and Jamie Oleksiak of Dallas; Jesper Fast and Anthony Duclair of the Rangers; and Elias Lindholm of Carolina.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Sep 12 2014, 04:42 AM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

That sounds like a fun thing to go to. Are tickets free?

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
THUNDER9
post Sep 12 2014, 07:04 AM
Post #3

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Jeff
Transactions: 83

eBay: Braves20

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I grew up in TC - tickets are free and it's a great relaxed atmosphere. At night go to the "Union Street Station" or the "U&I Lounge" both places where players hang out. If you like wine at all, TC is home to several award winning wineries on the peninsula. A great bus tour to sign up for so you ca imbibe and not worry about driving. Have a great time!

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
redwing40
post Sep 12 2014, 08:03 AM
Post #4

HOF
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 248

Awards:
Member of the Month Jan 15

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(THUNDER9 @ Sep 12 2014, 07:04 AM)
I grew up in TC - tickets are free and it's a great relaxed atmosphere. At night go to the "Union Street Station" or the "U&I Lounge" both places where players hang out. If you like wine at all, TC is home to several award winning wineries on the peninsula. A great bus tour to sign up for so you ca imbibe and not worry about driving. Have a great time!

You probably met my two aunts, uncle and cousins at one time as they lived there forever. smile.gif

Yes, that's right, tickets are free and I have been to the U&I lounge, small world! and Lol! Yes the Wine, both my aunt are winers laugh.gif

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 10th April 2024 - 01:00 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us