Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 2005-06 Hockey cards, Hockey card licenses

northicehero99
post Aug 13 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

I received an email today from In The Game (the manufacturers of Memorabilia, Ultimate Memorabilia, Parkhurst, etc.) stating that they have not received a new license with the NHL or NHLPA for 2005-06. As of today the only manufacturer with a license that I am aware of is Upper Deck. I am curious as to what other collectors out there think. Let me know your thoughts but as it stands now it sounds like UD will be the only hockey card producer. I like ITG as the GU cards always seem to retain more of their value, and I like they way the focus strickly on Hockey. I am glad there will not be too many manufacturers as now I can focus more on specific products like SP authentic, but I would still like to have a second option in the marketplace. Anyone have any additional thoughts? Thanks.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Aug 13 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I got the same email but thought that it said they Hadnt yet Not they wont.

On beckett there is a petition you can sign. I vow never to buy Hockey again if ITG is not granted a license.

NO More Ultimate memorabilia, Ill be even sadder than I already Am...

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Aug 14 2005, 10:56 AM
Post #3

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I did not see the petition but I will get over there and sign it. Thanks.

QUOTE(aceecards @ Aug 13 2005, 07:16 PM)
I got the same email but thought that it said they Hadnt yet Not they wont.

On beckett there is a petition you can sign. I vow never to buy Hockey again if ITG is not granted a license.

NO More Ultimate memorabilia, Ill be even sadder than I already Am...

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
snowblink
post Aug 14 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #4

MVP
Group Icon

Members Referred: 7
Transactions: 24

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I would be greatly disturbed if both ITG and Topps are not granted a hockey license for this coming season. I like UD fine, but don't like the idea of an "our game or no game" a single source could create.

With the lockout over we need as many options as possible this season, and with the number of card companies already having dwindled...

+Quote Post
snowblink
post Aug 21 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #5

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Latest news at ITG...nothing in the license area yet...From ITG site

Oddly...Topps has absolutely nothing about a license for hockey product...which stinks as I dig the Gold Label hockey product.

+Quote Post
meuandthelot
post Aug 28 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #6

Helping Hand
Group Icon

Transactions: 1

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Wonder if this is a ploy to get the collectors "Hyped"
Either way it's stupid not to allow ITG & Topps to produce cards. I'd say a large % of collectors are major "on-Ice" fans, we collectors generate a HUGE amount of buzz for/about the NHL.

My almost updated trade+ site. Looking for Vintage all sports, and nice pieces from teams below PM/email with any offers. Thank You. Also 1990 Topps, and 2003 old logo.
Call someone a dodee buttt in the heat of a debate, banhammer, trying with all your might to pass fakes, or what amounts to fraud..Eh, give em a break, he made a mistake??!!??

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Aug 29 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(meuandthelot @ Aug 28 2005, 09:37 PM)
Wonder if this is a ploy to get the collectors "Hyped"
Either way it's stupid not to allow ITG & Topps to produce cards. I'd say a large % of collectors are major "on-Ice" fans, we collectors generate a HUGE amount of buzz for/about the NHL.

It might be a ploy, but what I was told by In The Game was that there were still parts of the negotiations on the CBA that were being worked out that were more important than the issuance of the license to ITG. Thus the delay. As for hype, how much more can you have with the draft of Sidney Crosby and the moves that have been made. I am actually excited to see how the rejuvinated Pens do, even if Crosby does not play. It looks like they went out an feilded a team. The other reason I would not think it is a ploy is because money from those licenses goes into the NHLPA coffers (helped pay salaries during the lockout and I think some of it goes into a sort of pension plan for the players). Why would they want to hold up additional money in their pockets? The fact that UD has the only license to me is disappointing, there is no competition, so there will not be a major variation in the players used for cards. As Snowblink said UD tends to make mostly 90-100 card base sets and focus on the stars, not much there to enjoy. I like seeing sets with varying players and different themes. When UD does a legends set they feature the same players, but if you compare that to ITG's Franchises you got players that were never on cards or were local heros. Hopefully, something will change in the near future.

As of today there is still no change with ITG's license status.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
snowblink
post Sep 1 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #8

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

From everything I'm picking up at the Topps site, by all appearances they are not even pursuing a hockey license this year. Very disappointing.

That leaves ITG, unless something totally unexpected happens.

+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Sep 10 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #9

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Still no new news on the ITG website as of today. But. . . .

I received an email today from ITG announcing the sale of the Edmonton Expo Superboxes featuring a 25 card set of Between the Pipes which will include one GU and either a second GU or Autograph card. It looks like it will be an interesting set featuring St. Patrick again.

Also noteworthy from the email was that ITG is producing Heroes and Prospects for 2005-06.

Just thought this would be of interest to all the hockey collectors out there.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Sep 12 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #10

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(snowblink @ Sep 1 2005, 09:03 PM)
From everything I'm picking up at the Topps site, by all appearances they are not even pursuing a hockey license this year. Very disappointing.

That leaves ITG, unless something totally unexpected happens.

Northice, I got the same email. Went ahead and order the between the pipes superbox.

There is still no word yet from HNLPA regarding licensing but I feel that ITG will be awarded a license as will.......drumroll please

Are ya sitting down....

Yes DLP, possibly just the leaf brand....

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Sep 13 2005, 06:44 AM
Post #11

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Sep 12 2005, 09:28 PM)
Northice, I got the same email. Went ahead and order the between the pipes superbox.

There is still no word yet from HNLPA regarding licensing but I feel that ITG will be awarded a license as will.......drumroll please
Are ya sitting down....
Yes DLP, possibly just the leaf brand....

I ordered one two, I just hope the set is nicer than the one they issue for Passing the Torch Roy/Broduer, it is $20 more so it better be a lot nicer.

I like Donruss, but I never really liked what they did in Hockey. It would be nice though to see an Absolute peice with GU, but who is the top star going to be for them? Lemeiux/Roy were doing ITG, and Howe/Gretzky/Orr/Roy are in with Upper Deck too. If those guys are set in then who will they use that has that selling power? If there are no GU of them in Donruss would you buy it?

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Sep 13 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #12

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Again this is a rumor I heard out of st louis from a beckett board member.

I do not know ehere he got his info but apparently dlp is pushing real hard for NBA and NHL licenses to replace baseball they lost.

My assertion was that Leaf which had a Canadian background to begin with could be a possible player in the NHL.

Basketball DLP never had but with the fleer vacancy I guess anything is possible.

Wait N see attitude.

Also I understand that ITG still has exclusive rights to QJHML production, although I cant quantify this...

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Sep 13 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #13

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Sep 13 2005, 08:04 AM)
Also I understand that ITG still has exclusive rights to QJHML production, although I cant quantify this...

Makes sense based on there press release of 2005-06 Heroes and Prospects set.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Sep 19 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #14

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Just wanted to give an Update relative to Power Play hockey. According to the dealer I buy from the product release date has been pushed back two weeks from the original release date. We will have to wait and see.

As for ITG, still no word on a license.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 23rd April 2024 - 04:10 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us