Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

2 Pages  1 2 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Fake patches...how can people be educated?

marcus42
post Mar 7 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #1

Don't Ever Give Up!
Group Icon

First Name: Mark
Transactions: 209
(View: Pending | Failed)

Awards:
Trader of the Month - Mar. '07, Pack PULL of the Month - June 08

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

How can we get the word out about fakes to other collectors who may not know?

look at this.. eBay Auction (Item number: 170448825893)

the reds never wore a logo with black in it while Seaver was a member of the Reds...

this type of thing just really frustrates me...that's why I can't ever see myself getting a game used card again.

I collect:
-Colt McCoy inserts/rookies/certain autographs
-A mix of other stuff

user posted image

NFL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Mar 7 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #2

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

First Name: Chad
Transactions: 186

eBay: cardguy37122

Awards:
2009 Must Read of the Year

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The seller "hotpacksgalore" sounds like such and honest upstanding member of our hobby. mad.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
multimediapitstop
post Mar 7 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #3

The rock biter
Group Icon

First Name: Albert
Transactions: 57

View Gallery

Create Transaction

###### that's pretty bad. I figured all those baseball ultimate patches were real no matter how crazy the patches looked. Makes you think again about almost any patch you see.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
+Quote Post
faulkrules
post Mar 7 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #4

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Ed
Transactions: 229

Awards:
2010 Best Patch

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Mar 7 2010, 09:00 PM)
The seller "hotpacksgalore" sounds like such and honest upstanding member of our hobby.  mad.gif

You beat me to it!! laugh.gif

COLLECTING PACKERS AND HOF'ERS

NEED ANY AND ALL 2006 NATIONAL TREASURES

User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
marcus42
post Mar 7 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #5

Don't Ever Give Up!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Mar 7 2010, 10:00 PM)
The seller "hotpacksgalore" sounds like such and honest upstanding member of our hobby.  mad.gif

Yes, the hot packs and fake patches are the double whammy wink.gif

I collect:
-A mix of other stuff

user posted image

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
cardinal
post Mar 7 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #6

MVP
Group Icon

Transactions: 32

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Sent a message to the guy and this is the exact response I got:

"JUST SHOWS YOU THAT YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE ON WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SHUT YOUR MOUTH. THIS CARD WAS PULLED TODAY IN THE GARFIELD NEW JERSEY SHOW IN FRONT OF 30 PEOPLE. SO TAKE YOUR ACCUSATIONS AND GO FU** WITH THE REAL FAKE PATCH SELLERS. IF I RECEIVE ANOTHER EMAIL FROM YOU I WILL REPORT YOU TO EBAY FOR HARRASMENT. HAVE A NICE DAY"

Oh man.... laugh.gif

Photobucket
user posted image
Want List:
1996 Topps Chrome Ray Allen RC (and refractor version)
1998 Charles Woodson Bowman RC Auto

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
marcus42
post Mar 7 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #7

Don't Ever Give Up!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(cardinal @ Mar 7 2010, 10:48 PM)
Sent a message to the guy and this is the exact response I got:

"JUST SHOWS YOU THAT YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE ON WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SHUT YOUR MOUTH. THIS CARD WAS PULLED TODAY IN THE GARFIELD NEW JERSEY SHOW IN FRONT OF 30 PEOPLE. SO TAKE YOUR ACCUSATIONS AND GO FU** WITH THE REAL FAKE PATCH SELLERS. IF I RECEIVE ANOTHER EMAIL FROM YOU I WILL REPORT YOU TO EBAY FOR HARRASMENT. HAVE A NICE DAY"

Oh man.... laugh.gif

oh man that was awesome..there's a peterson he has listed with the serial number semi hidden...I so want to send him an email!! laugh.gif how lovely of a response from him!!

I collect:
-A mix of other stuff

user posted image

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
jwman92
post Mar 7 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #8

Brian Leonard Super- Collector!!!!
Group Icon
Group Icon

Members Referred: 10
First Name: Josh
Transactions: 127

eBay: 201thecardcollector

OpenChecklist:
jwman92

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Its entirely possible that the patch is from some sort of Reds reunion Seaver was invited to. Not saying that is 100% true, but don't just jump to conclusions.

CZT Team Member.

Brian Leonard Supercollector
user posted image
Trade Bucket

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
marcus42
post Mar 7 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Don't Ever Give Up!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(jwman92 @ Mar 7 2010, 10:51 PM)
Its entirely possible that the patch is from some sort of Reds reunion Seaver was invited to. Not saying that is 100% true, but don't just jump to conclusions.

rolleyes.gif Josh, I'm not jumping to conclusions. Look at everything he has listed! There is no way someone could get their smarmy hands on all those logo cards in that short amount of time and have them listed that close together. I doubt Upper Deck would acquire a 'reunion' jersey as well, but that is a jumped to assumption.

Here is the card in question:

eBay Auction (Item number: 250592923981)

Here are similar cards that have recently ended...

eBay Auction (Item number: 300400442550)

so I wouldn't trust this guy one bit.

I collect:
-A mix of other stuff

user posted image

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
cardinal
post Mar 7 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #10

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(marcus42 @ Mar 7 2010, 10:58 PM)
Here is the card in question:

eBay Auction (Item number: 250592923981)

Here are similar cards that have recently ended...

eBay Auction (Item number: 300400442550)
so I wouldn't trust this guy one bit.

I'm going to send him a message about this also... wink.gif

Photobucket
user posted image
Want List:

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
marcus42
post Mar 7 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #11

Don't Ever Give Up!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(cardinal @ Mar 7 2010, 11:04 PM)
I'm going to send him a message about this also... wink.gif

first response...

HI THE CARD IS NUMBERED 8/10 AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE OTHER PICTURE IT SHOWS THE WHOLE CARD. THE CARD WAS PULLED TODAY IN THE GARFIELD NJ CARD SHOW. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK.

I'm not buying it...see how similar the signatures in both cards are?

second question...can I please get a close up of the whole card smile.gif

I collect:
-A mix of other stuff

user posted image

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
THUNDER9
post Mar 8 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #12

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Jeff
Transactions: 83

eBay: Braves20

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I've seen lots of people have issues with this seller, so I won't comment on the obvious. My issues lie with Upper Deck. They continually use "player worn jerseys" which equates to a player putting on a jersey, then taking off the jersey...then repeating 10 times, or 20 times ad infinitum. Upper Deck continues to play by their own set of rules, and is giving it to us collectors, but good! I don't doubt that the new Upper Deck Ultimate Collection jumbo patches are all legitimate, just that their provenance is very shady. Plus the fact that they no longer have their MLB license to produce baseball cards, it's not surprising to see them dump alot of high end patches into a product to clear out their existing stock.
Donruss Leaf Playoff did the same thing a while back.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
69madman69
post Mar 8 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #13

All-Star
Group Icon

First Name: Justin

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(THUNDER9 @ Mar 7 2010, 10:27 PM)
I've seen lots of people have issues with this seller, so I won't comment on the obvious.  My issues lie with Upper Deck. They continually use "player worn jerseys" which equates to a player putting on a jersey, then taking off the jersey...then repeating 10 times, or 20 times ad infinitum.  Upper Deck continues to play by their own set of rules, and is giving it to us collectors, but good! I don't doubt that the new Upper Deck Ultimate Collection jumbo patches are all legitimate, just that their provenance is very shady. Plus the fact that they no longer have their MLB license to produce baseball cards, it's not surprising to see them dump alot of high end patches into a product to clear out their existing stock.
Donruss Leaf Playoff did the same thing a while back.

He is without a shadow of a doubt selling fakes. I imagine he is one of Kevin Burge's dummy accounts or has direct links to Mr. Burge. Your point is also a good one in that the way cards are worded the players could be playing a game of checkers and it would satisfy the "game worn" or "event worn" criteria. It is cute how he has the same response for every big card he pulls, "It was pulled here at the NJ blah blah blah..."

Profile Card
+Quote Post
sschind
post Mar 8 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #14

All-Star
Group Icon

Transactions: 7

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I can't comment on the Sever card but IMO there is no way those to AP's are not the same card. Every point where the lines cross the shield or the word autograph are identical I'm not even sure if autopenned signatures are this close.

The fact that the whole card shot is positioned in such a way that you can't read the SN (I've tried enhancing it a bit but with my limited skills I got nothing clearer) and the way the close up shot cuts off the SN screams scam. Besides, even if those were legit pics and the close up really did cut off the SN why would you not put the SN in the description? Why just say numbed to 10? why would you not put in #6/10 Two reasons come to mind and they tie together. First to avoid a blatant lie in his description (about the card #) If he says its anything other than 6 and it really is the 6 card he sets himself up for a SNAD (which I doubt would follow but you never know) and second to avoid leaving more proof. Guys like this know that there are guys like you out there) thankfully for the rest of us ignorant saps) . They know that someone would find the picture of the 6/10 card and offer it up as evidence of a scam so he cuts the real SN off. If he shows the 6 on the faked card it will expose him. I've emailed for a picture of the serial number. Anyone want to place bets that I either get no reply or I get a picture of a very close shot of "A" serial number not 6 that shows nothing else of the card. In a way that would be even better. I'd love to get a picture of a serial number of like say 2/10 since he told Marcus it was 8 (lets see if he can keep his lies straight)

I'm sorry for the long post (If I was really sorry I'd end it now wouldn't I) but in part its because I am trying to help with the "how can people be educated?" question in the thread title. You guys do a great job here sniffing out the frauds and I really enjoy these threads. I've learned a lot from many of them. Many people like me would have no idea that this card is not a fake because we are ignorant of the details behind it. We like AP, we see a cool card, we see that he values it at $600.00 but maybe he will take $500.00 or even $400.00 and we can get a deal etc. and we end up with a fake card. The purpose of my lengthy post (which just seems to get longer and longer doesn't it) is to help answer some questions some beginners might have as to what is going on not only with the card but with the listing. Many people are not crooks so they don't think like a crook and so what I wrote may not occur to them (how does that make me look unsure.gif) I know there are many times when I read threads like this where everyone pretty much agrees that the card in question is a fake because you all know the details but I have no idea what I am looking at. I don't know that a particular set was only numbers to 10. I don't know that they only used a certain patch in a certain set. I don't know that this particular parallel used on card autos rather than sticker autos etc. etc. Something a simple as knowing the print run of a particular card may be overlooked. Certainly these are things I should know if I am spending hundreds on a card but the sad fact is I may not. In fact I have asked several times something like "how can you tell this is a fake" and you are usually very good at responding and that educates me. That's what I tried to do here. Anyone with half a brain should be able to compare the two cards and if they are like me they should come to the conclusion that its the same card. What may not occur to them is why he didn't put the number of the card in the description. If they read this and think "oh yeah, it would be a blatant lie" it may make them think twice if they see another similar description.

I know that there are countless "how to spot a fake card" threads spread around the Internet and that is great, but many of these deal with generalities. Threads like this deal with specifics. The fact that it would take a miracle to get me to pony up more than 5 bucks for any card may pretty much exempt me from being a victim of a scam like this but that does not make these threads any less interesting or educational to me. Keep em coming and keep up the good work.

Steve Schindler

"this bloke won't haggle"

When people say "... has ruined the hobby" what they really mean is that "... has ruined the hobby for me"

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
edgerrin32
post Mar 8 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #15

TCC's mr. talk a lot! :)>
Group Icon

First Name: Jason
Transactions: 37

Awards:
November 2010 Member of the Month

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

i might work on putting up a video on youtube going over a bunch of scams with cards! i would need to get some junk player cards for cheap and some patches and other little things. but i might start to work on this! but then im kinda afraid that people will use my info for the worng reasons. and use what i show so they can fake cards!. i will see? unless people want to donate some supplies?? biggrin.gif

Always looking for Edgerrin James and Javarris James cards I need!

**MY WANTS**
-2007 topps tx superbowl ticket stub auto versions only. Base set of stubs is done!
-2001-2006 topps tix super tix superbowl ticket stub cards and auto version.
-Colts Super Bowl tickets from any Super Bowl they played in. Prefer full tickets but would be open to stubs as well. Only tickets from the Manning ERA!
-A Super Bowl ticket or stub from the AZ Cardinals and Steelers.
-Any full ticket or stub that has Edgerrin James on it!
-Edgerrin James- Mostly rarer stuff. Also odd ball type items.
-Javarris James- Mostly rarer stuff. Also odd ball type items.
-Any checklist that has Edgerrin or Javarris James name on it!
-Any cards of the actors from Married With Children.
-Ice-T auto- From Razor.
-Some of the Celebrity GU and autos. Mostly famous movie actors I like. Nothing super high end.

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
cardinal
post Mar 8 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #16

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the guy responds with this:

QUOTE(hotpacksgalore)
HOW ABOUT WE STOP TALKING NOW BEFORE THINGS GET OUT OF HAND. I TOLD YOU TO STOP WITH THE DUMB REMARKS BUT YOU STILL THROW A JAB WITH CALLING ME A SCUMBAG. I WISH YOU WERE IN FRONT OF ME AND I WOULD BET A MILLION YOU WOULD KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. BUT EVERYONE IS SO TUFF BEHIND THERE KEYBOARD. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SHUT YOUR TRAP.

That was his response to this message I sent him:

"OK, I apologize and take back my assumption. But it is very very easy to believe that the card is fake especially with you selling hot packs considering pack searchers are the biggest scumbags in the hobby."

Photobucket
user posted image
Want List:

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
marcus42
post Mar 8 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #17

Don't Ever Give Up!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

This is getting great...

Here is my second question to him....

Awesome, thanks for the very quick response! I'm
extremely anal about buying very high end cards.
The scan of the whole card is quite small. Could I
please get a close up of the entire card? It's
kind of weird that the first image is only of half
the card, but I would like a close up of the
entire card. Thank you.
-Mark

his response (edited for language):

MARK THE CARD IS REAL I KNOW WHAT YOU THINK BUT I SCAN THE CARD LIKE THAT SO YOU CAN SEE THE AUTO AND PATCH BETTER. THE CARD WAS PULLED TODAY IN GAFIELD NJ IN FRONT OF 30 PEOPLE. WHY IS IT THAT EVERY NICE CARD THAT GOES UP YOU GUYS THINK ITS FAKE. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND BEFORE YOU START WITH THE ******** QUESTIONS AND ACCUSATIONS FIND OUT 100% THEN **** WITH THE SCUM THAT SELLS THE FAKE ONES. IF YOU DIDNT MEAN WHAT IM SAYING I AM SORRY BUT I AM SICK OF THE WANT TO BE FAKE PATCH POLICE WITH ASSUMPTIONS. HAVE A NICE DAY.

Did I once say anything about thinking it was fake? I said I wanted to see a full scan of the card?

I collect:
-A mix of other stuff

user posted image

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
marcus42
post Mar 8 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #18

Don't Ever Give Up!
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Steve,
thanks for the response, I definitely agree with all you have to say smile.gif

I collect:
-A mix of other stuff

user posted image

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
cardinal
post Mar 8 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #19

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Post here anytime you get a response from him, hopefully he'll get busted.

Photobucket
user posted image
Want List:

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
ronaldinho0003
post Mar 8 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #20

Michigan Wolverines 2012 Sugar Bowl Champs!
Group Icon

First Name: Trent
Transactions: 97

eBay: tcourtright1

Restrictions:
Must Send First

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Geesh. "Everyone is so tough behind the keyboard"...very true.
This guy is obviously pulling a fake, he won't take resquests to see full card scans, and he has to use offensive language to get his point across. Typical thing for someone to do with no alibi. I just wish people like this weren't even in the hobby at all.

Collecting:
- Paul Davis (Former Clippers & Wizards Power Forward)
- Football Card Autographs & Tradebait
- Sports TTM & IP Autographed 8x10's and Memorabilia

Bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 27th April 2024 - 08:03 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us