Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Nationals offer record deal for Strasburg but.., still may not sign

2000 rushing yards
post Aug 16 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #1

HOF/ #1 TCC Orioles Collector
Group Icon

First Name: Joe
Transactions: 174
(View: Pending | Failed)

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/12070998
WASHINGTON -- Nationals president Stan Kasten acknowledged Saturday there is a "very real possibility" the team will not reach an agreement with No. 1 overall draft pick Stephen Strasburg despite offering him a record-breaking contract.
Advertisement 

The Nationals face a deadline of midnight on Monday night to sign Strasburg, a right-hander from San Diego State whose fastball has been clocked at 102 mph.

He is represented by uber-agent Scott Boras, who has the top three players in this year's draft -- all of whom were unsigned as of Saturday afternoon.

"With 48 hours to go, I simply have no idea whether we're going to be able to reach a deal," Kasten said in an interview with the Associated Press.

Kasten said the Nationals offered Strasburg a major league contract worth more than the record $10.5 million pitcher Mark Prior got from the Chicago Cubs after being the second pick in the 2001 amateur draft.

Washington's offer came more than a week ago during a face-to-face meeting in California that included Strasburg, Boras, Kasten, Nationals acting general manager Mike Rizzo and team owners Ted and Mark Lerner.

Kasten wouldn't reveal the exact amount of Washington's offer nor would he say what, if any, counteroffer Boras had made. But Kasten characterized Boras' approach as "advocating a new methodology for evaluating draft picks" -- changing the way a draft pick's worth is determined.

"This kid is so impressive. We have nothing but the highest regard for him. If he wants to come and begin his career right now -- and do so with the largest contract ever given to any drafted player in the history of Major League Baseball -- we can help him accomplish that," Kasten told the AP. "But if this is more about changing the whole way an industry does business, then we won't be able to reach a deal."

Boras said it didn't make sense to compare Strasburg's value with bonuses from eight years ago, when Prior and Mark Teixeira set the marketplace. Teixeira was guaranteed $9.5 million and earned about $11 million, including bonuses, under a deal Boras negotiated. Since then, baseball's revenues have more than doubled to $6.5 billion.

"For the first time in eight years we have an extraordinary player who is in the draft marketplace," Boras said. "Wouldn't we all like to buy bread at a price they charged 100 years ago, a nickel a loaf, with the income we enjoy today?"

Strasburg has been labeled a once-in-a-generation talent. (US Presswire) 
Strasburg has been labeled a once-in-a-generation talent. (US Presswire) 
Failing to sign Strasburg would be a blow to a franchise that finished last in the majors with 102 losses last season -- which is why they had the top pick in June's amateur draft -- and has the worst record in baseball in 2009, again on pace for 100 losses. Washington also recently lost rookie starter Jordan Zimmermann for at least a year because of a torn elbow ligament.

"It's important for any franchise that wants to keep moving forward and getting better to sign its top pick, but I guess there are certain limits to how much you can spend," said Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, who received a signing bonus of nearly $3 million after being drafted by Washington with the No. 4 overall pick in 2005. "At some point, he has to say how much money is enough before he even steps out onto the field."

Zimmerman added about Strasburg: "I've seen him on TV once or twice. He throws hard. He's got good stuff. But again, you have to ask yourself: How much money can you make without ever throwing a pitch?"

A year ago, the Nationals had the No. 9 overall pick and selected pitcher Aaron Crow of Missouri, whom they did not sign. Crow went back into the draft this year, was taken 12th overall by Kansas City, and had yet to reach a deal with the Royals as of Saturday.

If there's no deal between Washington and Strasburg, he would go back into the 2010 draft, and the team would be awarded the No. 2 pick in 2010.

Strasburg has been labeled a once-in-a-generation talent. He went 13-1 this season, leading Division I pitchers with a 1.32 ERA and 195 strikeouts. Last month, he won the Golden Spikes Award as the top amateur player in the United States, and was the only amateur on the U.S. Olympic baseball team that won a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Games.

"Very, very impressive young man. We'd be very proud to have him as a National," Kasten said. "Very mature. Clearly ready to begin life as a professional. And I hope he signs with us because of that, because I think it really would be a mistake for him to put his career off for another year."

The Nationals executive laid out a scenario in which Strasburg could be in the majors on opening day next season -- if a deal were reached by Monday's deadline.

"We think he's not just a draft pick -- we think he's a special player, which is why we extended ourselves as much as we did, and will continue to entertain any other issues or concerns he might have in order to get him signed," Kasten said.

But he also said there is a "very real possibility, with 48 hours to go, that Stephen may choose not to sign with us. We remain hopeful. But ... all of baseball history, both long-standing and our own recent history with Jordan Zimmermann, has cautioned us about the risks inherent in signing any young player, particularly pitchers."

I don't get why these rookies get more than half the leagues but if he is to reject this he is being very selfish

4370 Orioles cards and counting.... 4000 has come!! Now off for 5000!
user posted image
user posted image
I sell/trade team lots shoot me a PM for more info,

What I am looking for:
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Baltimore Ravens
Andrew Bynum

TRADELIST ON PHOTOBUCKET
For all of your NPN needs! Upper Deck's NPN site[/size]

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hallsgator
post Aug 16 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #2

JAAAAY PEEEE
Group Icon

Members Referred: 7
First Name: Cody
Transactions: 184

eBay: whispersinthedark

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I don't understand why people get mad at baseball teams offering this much money for draftees. Strasburg is the best pitching prospect in the last 20 years, he deserves the largest bonus ever. He has earned it.

People go on and on about the MLB draft, when Aaron Curry gets $34 million guaranteed! And he isn't even the top pick!

I just don't get. The MLB's draft contracts are tiny compared to the NFL, but yet you hardly ever heard people knocking that league. Curry is just as unproven as Strasburg, but gets 3 times the contract Strasburg gets

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Aug 16 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #3

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Mike
Transactions: 393

View Gallery

Create Transaction

If Strasburg turns down $17 mil I hope he throws his arm out waiting for next years draft. While he is as close to a sure-fire thing the mlb draft has ever seen, he is still unproven at the pro level. It is dangerous business giving this much $ to draft picks. The Nats have recognized Strasburg's specialness by offering him a record bonus and the chance to begin his pro career. He should be greatful, humble, and eager to sign. The real question is who in the heck he thinks is going to offer him more $ next year??? The Pirates?? rolleyes.gif He could conceiveably sit out a whole year only to be offered less $ than he has on the table right now (check out Aaron Crow from last years draft). Strasburg should dump Bore-###### and sign the contract.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
2000 rushing yards
post Aug 18 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #4

HOF/ #1 TCC Orioles Collector
Group Icon

First Name: Joe
Transactions: 174

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/12078670

he signes last night for a record deal

4370 Orioles cards and counting.... 4000 has come!! Now off for 5000!
user posted image
user posted image
I sell/trade team lots shoot me a PM for more info,

What I am looking for:
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Baltimore Ravens
Andrew Bynum

TRADELIST ON PHOTOBUCKET
For all of your NPN needs! Upper Deck's NPN site[/size]

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 25th April 2024 - 03:37 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us