Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> Here we go again...someone is leaving the hobby

Gforce083
post Mar 3 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #1

HOF
Group Icon

Transactions: 540
(View: Pending | Failed)

Awards:
2008 Favorite Box Break Host

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

It's true, I of all people am stepping away from this great hobby. First I will say, this is not easy for me to even say and I still have to follow through with it. My love for this hobby is still as strong as ever, I know this process is going to hurt. I started collecting long ago when an uncle of mine owned a card shop in my local town. I have been involved in this hobby for the majority of my life, so actually going through with this is like losing a part of myself. I have never been in this hobby as a financial investment. It's always been done as another way to enjoy a sport and players I enjoy.

So you're probably asking why, why would he be leaving something he still loves and enjoyes so much? That answer can be a bit complicated or very simple, depending on how you look at it. For the past year or so I've have this thought in the back of my mind; "These cards don't matter in the bigger picture of life" and the question, "Do I value these cards more than I do the things much more important?"

At one point, I asked my wife "Do you see my card collecting as a bad thing?" and she said "No, I know you enjoy it and I see nothing wrong with it" Hearing that from here suppressed some of my feelings many months ago. Knowing that I enjoy it so much and knowing how much a part of my life it is, I continued.

Eventually, those thoughts crept back into my mind, almost to a point of conviction. Then came a clear confirmation this past Friday... I was listening to an interview between David Platt and Katie Davis (I'll explain who they are in a minute), by the end of it, the only thought I had was "I have to sell my collection, period."

If you don't know, I am a Christian, I admittedly haven't always been the best example of that throughout my time here but that is where my belief resides. With that in mind, over the past couple years, I, like many non-Christians as well, have grown very skeptical and uncomfortable with the "American Church". Now, all that is for another discussion... However, it was because of those feelings that I really began to seek out truth and tried to understand what the biblical Gospel really is (I'm still learning). In my quest, the more I learned, the more I felt it needed to change on my life. What good is it for me to learn and better understand things and not live a life that reflects that understanding?

So what does that have to do with card collecting? I see nothing inherently wrong with being involved in this hobby, not one bit. No part of me feels like card collecting is a "sin", don't think that's what I'm getting at here. With me, heres my issue... I have let this hobby get to such a place in my life where I value it more so than I do much more important things, even God. When something gets to that point in a Christians life, it's an idol, and that can't be. Another part of this is about Jesus' teachings on living a "simple" life and having a heart for giving. As I began to understand that more, I realized that all I'm doing is accumulating stuff, that's all it is, stuff. I finally realized that I struggle between how much I valued this hobby in my life, compared to how much I valued God. That is why I have to get out and why I have such a strong conviction to do so.

If you're a fellow believer in Christ, I don't know how this hits you. I am not saying you're wrong or doing anything against God for being involved in this hobby. If it's in a place in your life where you have a healthy control over it and it doesn't out-value God in your life, I see nothing wrong with it. What I will say is that, if you were asked to give this or anything for that matter, up for the sake of your faith, could you? If we have the same reaction as the "rich man" did when Jesus told him to sell all he had and then come follow him and we struggle with making that choice...then we know there's a problem. And that's where I am. I said it at the beginning of the post, walking away from this hobby is going to be painful. However, I know once I walk through this, It's going to be worth it when I come out on the other side.

Could I come back to this hobby one day? I can't answer that at this moment.

I told you earlier, I'd explain who these two people are... David Platt is the pastor of Brook Hills Church in Birmingham, AL and Katie Davis is a 23-24 year old woman from Nashville, TN who now lives in Uganda running an organization called Amazima. Platt is a man who has set out to turn the "American Church" upside down, or rather, right side up. I admire what God is doing through him and his life. Katie Davis has gone against the cultural norm, her parents desires and followed the instructions she felt God placed on her life. It's a truly amazing story and she is doing great things in the country of Uganda.

For this, I am not selling my collection as a means to gain the monetary value from it. The majority of what I bring in is going to be donated directly to Katie's organization, Amazima.

If you're interested in what really ignited such a change in my life, here is the full 54min interview between Platt and Davis (I find it worth the time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZmWW_qL9Io

If you're not inclined to watch that, here is a short (3min) promo on Amazima and what they do:
http://youtu.be/jGyYsA62CxY

If you'd like any "teachings" relating to anything I've been talking about, let me know and I'll pass those along.

Lastly, my entire Photobucket is for sale. Every last card, so check it out and let me know what you need prices on.

PS. I don't own the Matt Ryan 1/1 anymore and all Bears stuff could be going to my dad.

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/Gforce083TS/

User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
ffman
post Mar 4 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #2

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Cody
Transactions: 147
(View: Pending | Failed)

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Mar 3 2012, 07:48 PM)
It's true, I of all people am stepping away from this great hobby. First I will say, this is not easy for me to even say and I still have to follow through with it. My love for this hobby is still as strong as ever, I know this process is going to hurt. I started collecting long ago when an uncle of mine owned a card shop in my local town. I have been involved in this hobby for the majority of my life, so actually going through with this is like losing a part of myself. I have never been in this hobby as a financial investment. It's always been done as another way to enjoy a sport and players I enjoy.

So you're probably asking why, why would he be leaving something he still loves and enjoyes so much? That answer can be a bit complicated or very simple, depending on how you look at it. For the past year or so I've have this thought in the back of my mind; "These cards don't matter in the bigger picture of life" and the question, "Do I value these cards more than I do the things much more important?"

At one point, I asked my wife "Do you see my card collecting as a bad thing?" and she said "No, I know you enjoy it and I see nothing wrong with it" Hearing  that from here suppressed some of my feelings many months ago. Knowing that I enjoy it so much and knowing how much a part of my life it is, I continued.

Eventually, those thoughts crept back into my mind, almost to a point of conviction. Then came a clear confirmation this past Friday... I was listening to an interview between David Platt and Katie Davis (I'll explain who they are in a minute), by the end of it, the only thought I had was "I have to sell my collection, period."

If you don't know, I am a Christian, I admittedly haven't always been the best example of that throughout my time here but that is where my belief resides. With that in mind, over the past couple years, I, like many non-Christians as well, have grown very skeptical and uncomfortable with the "American Church". Now, all that is for another discussion... However, it was because of those feelings that I really began to seek out truth and tried to understand what the biblical Gospel really is (I'm still learning). In my quest, the more I learned, the more I felt it needed to change on my life. What good is it for me to learn and better understand things and not live a life that reflects that understanding?

So what does that have to do with card collecting? I see nothing inherently wrong with being involved in this hobby, not one bit. No part of me feels like card collecting is a "sin", don't think that's what I'm getting at here. With me, heres my issue... I have let this hobby get to such a place in my life where I value it more so than I do much more important things, even God. When something gets to that point in a Christians life, it's an idol, and that can't be. Another part of this is about Jesus' teachings on living a "simple" life and having a heart for giving. As I began to understand that more, I realized that all I'm doing is accumulating stuff, that's all it is, stuff. I finally realized that I struggle between how much I valued this hobby in my life, compared to how much I valued God. That is why I have to get out and why I have such a strong conviction to do so.

If you're a fellow believer in Christ, I don't know how this hits you. I am not saying you're wrong or doing anything against God for being involved in this hobby. If it's in a place in your life where you have a healthy control over it and it doesn't out-value God in your life, I see nothing wrong with it. What I will say is that, if you were asked to give this or anything for that matter, up for the sake of your faith, could you? If we have the same reaction as the "rich man" did when Jesus told him to sell all he had and then come follow him and we struggle with making that choice...then we know there's a problem. And that's where I am. I said it at the beginning of the post, walking away from this hobby is going to be painful. However, I know once I walk through this, It's going to be worth it when I come out on the other side.

Could I come back to this hobby one day? I can't answer that at this moment.

I told you earlier, I'd explain who these two people are... David Platt is the pastor of Brook Hills Church in Birmingham, AL and Katie Davis is a 23-24 year old woman from Nashville, TN who now lives in Uganda running an organization called Amazima. Platt is a man who has set out to turn the "American Church" upside down, or rather, right side up. I admire what God is doing through him and his life. Katie Davis has gone against the cultural norm, her parents desires and followed the instructions she felt God placed on her life. It's a truly amazing story and she is doing great things in the country of Uganda.

For this, I am not selling my collection as a means to gain the monetary value from it. The majority of what I bring in is going to be donated directly to Katie's organization, Amazima.

If you're interested in what really ignited such a change in my life, here is the full 54min interview between Platt and Davis (I find it worth the time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZmWW_qL9Io

If you're not inclined to watch that, here is a short (3min) promo on Amazima and what they do:
http://youtu.be/jGyYsA62CxY

If you'd like any "teachings" relating to anything I've been talking about, let me know and I'll pass those along.

Lastly, my entire Photobucket is for sale. Every last card, so check it out and let me know what you need prices on.

PS. I don't own the Matt Ryan 1/1 anymore and all Bears stuff could be going to my dad.

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/Gforce083TS/

Good luck in your other ventures Gary. I highlighted a certain sentence in your post as I feel it is very important. When cards overshadow anything of importance in your life (be it God or even your family), it may be time to not necessarily leave the hobby, but at the very least to rethink your priorities. Sometimes this hobby can take control. At times I wish I could make an easy break with the hobby, although I do enjoy it.

As a fellow Christian I can completely see where you are coming from.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image
RIP Daze_fan l RIP Steve McNair l RIP Chris Henry l RIP tazmocan
Collecting: Mickey Mantle, Tennessee Titans, 2006 Vince Young

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Gforce083   Here we go again...someone is leaving the hobby   Mar 3 2012, 08:48 PM
sasports   First, I am sorry to hear that you are leaving th...   Mar 3 2012, 09:01 PM
Gforce083   Thanks. I'll try to look out for any 616...   Mar 3 2012, 09:39 PM
RGBII   [b]While you and I have had our scraps, know this ...   Mar 3 2012, 09:10 PM
Gforce083   Thanks Richard. We all got some heathen in us......   Mar 3 2012, 09:44 PM
mjda   I must say that I'm absolutely, positively, 10...   Mar 3 2012, 09:25 PM
Gforce083   Me too! Thank you for your comments though. ...   Mar 3 2012, 09:45 PM
aceecards   Well Gary, the lord works in mysterious ways! ...   Mar 3 2012, 09:37 PM
Gforce083   Thanks Steve.   Mar 3 2012, 09:45 PM
captkirk42   Sad to see you leave the hobby, but I can understa...   Mar 3 2012, 09:38 PM
Gforce083   Truth, our treasure is in the Kingdom not the ea...   Mar 3 2012, 09:46 PM
redwing40   I might be new here Gary, but understand your acti...   Mar 3 2012, 09:48 PM
snkpoct137   Gary, I know how you feel in many ways. I too have...   Mar 3 2012, 10:40 PM
Gforce083   Thank you for the affirmation. I can't say t...   Mar 3 2012, 11:20 PM
snkpoct137   Its not that i didnt have a life, its just that ...   Mar 3 2012, 11:24 PM
urbanmonk   Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it ...   Mar 4 2012, 12:27 AM
bajmurray   Sorry to see you leave. However, each of us is bl...   Mar 4 2012, 01:12 AM
northicehero99   Gary, sorry to hear this and glad for you. I thin...   Mar 4 2012, 08:19 AM
Gforce083   Oh yeah, trust me, this has very little to do w...   Mar 4 2012, 09:18 AM
Gforce083   Definitely. I wish it could be just a break for ...   Mar 4 2012, 12:49 PM
Gforce083   I'll be completely honest, I just had someone ...   Mar 4 2012, 11:38 PM
osufan2383   good luck man. If I had my job still I would see w...   Mar 5 2012, 12:54 AM
chopinalex   Proud of you Gary..i'm leaning toward dumping ...   Mar 5 2012, 11:15 PM
Cool_Hand_Flash   I'm sorry to see you leave Gary. But I'm h...   Mar 5 2012, 11:29 PM
Gforce083   Mr. Ultimate could not be denied!   Mar 5 2012, 11:38 PM
Gforce083   I've updated my photo bucket and put everythin...   Mar 5 2012, 11:51 PM
Gforce083   During this journey, I want to be the best steward...   Mar 6 2012, 11:47 AM
pwolantern   I am sorry to see you leave, but I do wish you the...   Mar 6 2012, 01:36 PM
Gforce083   Thanks man! To all, I almost forgot. But I...   Mar 6 2012, 02:33 PM
Gadsden86   Its sad to see another person leave the hobby. I m...   Mar 6 2012, 04:50 PM
Gforce083   Thanks for the comments and thoughts. Every Chri...   Mar 6 2012, 06:07 PM
nlr4434   G sorry to see you leave but I admire you for bein...   Mar 6 2012, 06:57 PM
chopinalex   I love you Gary!   Mar 6 2012, 09:14 PM
Gforce083   :wub: :hug: :serenade: :winkiss: :inlove: ...   Mar 9 2012, 10:56 AM
Gforce083   Meant to post this the other day.... Taking my fi...   Mar 9 2012, 05:54 PM
Gforce083   I'm what, on my 24th day into this journey so ...   Mar 26 2012, 10:43 AM
Gforce083   The past few mail outs haven't been much easie...   Apr 5 2012, 10:21 AM
msw_sportscards   Gary, Good luck with your journey. God's ...   Apr 9 2012, 11:41 PM
Gforce083   One of the toughest lots to send out the door... h...   Apr 10 2012, 10:10 PM
Gforce083   Another BIG and difficult move today! My two C...   Apr 13 2012, 11:17 AM
batman1641   Sorry to hear you are leaving. But I understand w...   Apr 15 2012, 03:04 PM
redwing40   Sometimes I think about what you are saying, as my...   Apr 15 2012, 04:46 PM
Gforce083   So my awesomeness is deeply suppressed because ...   Apr 15 2012, 05:13 PM
Gforce083   Been a while since I've done an update. I...   May 18 2012, 02:46 PM

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 18th March 2024 - 10:44 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us