Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> PayPal as a gift payment??

bob_TCC
post Sep 8 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #41

President & CEO
Group Icon
Group Icon

Members Referred: 111
First Name: Bob
Transactions: 567
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: tccstaff

SportsBuy: 61309

OpenChecklist:
bob_tcc

Awards:
Trader of the Month - Sep. '05, Nov. '06

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

QUOTE(metsfan2427 @ Sep 8 2009, 10:08 AM)
correct. money is usually the number 1 concern of the company.

Would you want profitability to be a minimal concern for a company? If it's the company that pays your salary, would you still hope that they aren't worried about collecting the fees associated with their products and/or services?

-Bob

President & CEO
user posted image
TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

Founder
user posted image
OpenChecklist.com - software tools and services for trading card collectors.

My trade lists: Baseball | Basketball | Football | Hockey | Racing | Everything
You Spent Bob's Money, Now Make Bob Money! Round 1: Baseball | Basketball | Football | Hockey

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
metsfan2427
post Sep 8 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #42

#1 Yamon Figurs Collecter
Group Icon

First Name: James
Transactions: 102

eBay: jmoss722

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gsil84 @ Sep 8 2009, 10:11 AM)
Again....

I'm just asking...  One other thing we have not talked about is what will TCC do if things go wrong with gift payments used on transactions??

Will both members be in trouble? One for not sending and the other for using Paypal in the wrong way??

Should that be a rule on TCC??

Anyone using Paypal or any service to pay for transactions in the wrong way will be open to punishment under TCC's guidelines...

We all know this is going to be an issue.. Lets work it out before it becomes to big..

i don't think a rule with stop people from doing it.
maybe a pinned topic warning people. that there is no protection with this payment

I do not trading/sell or buy cards at this time

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
+Quote Post
metsfan2427
post Sep 8 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #43

#1 Yamon Figurs Collecter
Group Icon

First Name: James
Transactions: 102

eBay: jmoss722

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Sep 8 2009, 10:13 AM)
Would you want profitability to be a minimal concern for a company?  If it's the company that pays your salary, would you still hope that they aren't worried about collecting the fees associated with their products and/or services?

-Bob

Bob,
i don't think you get what i am saying. I am not saying everything should be free.
I don't completely agree with the paypal fees. But you pay for what you get.
Currently paypal is the easiest way and safest to pay for online transactions.

I do not trading/sell or buy cards at this time

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Sep 8 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #44

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Dwight
Transactions: 907

eBay: urbanmonk

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Paypal has that option so you can send friends/family money w/o being charged for gift. If it is continually abused, they will figuire out that John Doe is getting way too many gifts every month, and they will just remove that option so that everyone that recieves money is now charged. So is that fair to folks wanting to use it that way?

They get your money, they don't care anymore.. They already have your money.

Companies like that don't stay in business very long. I don't know about the rest of you but if I have enough bad experiences I will no longer spend my money on a company when there is plenty of other companies providing that service. Same as when you have a good experience you will tell a handful of people, when you have a bad experience you will tell those same people and a bunch of other people (many times what you would tell if a good experience), as it is human nature.

One other thing we have not talked about is what will TCC do if things go wrong with gift payments used on transactions??

I don't make the rules. But to me it is like safety guards on machines at work, you can only protect people from doing something stupid to a certain extent (granted with those kind of safetys OSHA makes you go overboard). But to me if folks don't want to follow things that are their to help them, then they are on their own as they are not helping us help them at all (making it much more difficult) so my time will be spent elsewhere it is needed. If folks don't care about the risk they added, then I guess they don't mine the extra consequences that go with it either and have no place to complain.

TCC's Cousin Itt

Looking for former Oregon State players in NFL, Steven Jackson top priority:

PC Want list for Modano, Have list for my FB PC and Trade lists for FB and HK

Mike Modano count 1,268 different cards out of 4,439 listed on Beckett

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Sep 8 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #45

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

First Name: Chad
Transactions: 186

eBay: cardguy37122

Awards:
2009 Must Read of the Year

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Sep 8 2009, 08:38 AM)

Paypal has that option so you can send friends/family money w/o being charged for gift.  If it is continually abused, they will figuire out that John Doe is getting way too many gifts every month, and they will just remove that option so that everyone that recieves money is now charged.  So is that fair to folks wanting to use it that way?

Dwight is exactly right! So once again those trying to get something for nothing will cost the rest of us money that are trying to do what is right. That is America folks!

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
bob_TCC
post Sep 8 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #46

President & CEO
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
bob_tcc

Awards:

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(metsfan2427 @ Sep 8 2009, 10:18 AM)
i don't think you get what i am saying. I am not saying everything should be free.
I don't completely agree with the paypal fees. But you pay for what you get.
Currently paypal is the easiest way and safest to pay for online transactions.

James,

Thanks for making your view on the subject clear. wink.gif

-Bob

President & CEO
user posted image

Founder
user posted image

You Spent Bob's Money, Now Make Bob Money! Round 1: Baseball | Basketball | Football | Hockey

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
bob_TCC
post Sep 8 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #47

President & CEO
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
bob_tcc

Awards:

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gsil84 @ Sep 8 2009, 10:11 AM)
I'm just asking...  One other thing we have not talked about is what will TCC do if things go wrong with gift payments used on transactions??

Will both members be in trouble? One for not sending and the other for using Paypal in the wrong way??

Should that be a rule on TCC??

Anyone using Paypal or any service to pay for transactions in the wrong way will be open to punishment under TCC's guidelines...

We all know this is going to be an issue.. Lets work it out before it becomes to big..

As mentioned earlier, we're simply not going to condone the use of personal payments for transactions that are clearly outside the scope of the acceptable use cases listed at this location on PayPal's web site.

So, I've already begun to inform sellers that they need to refrain from requesting personal payments for purchases. If a member continues that practice despite being asked to stop, it will be addressed. wink.gif

-Bob

President & CEO
user posted image

Founder
user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
Gsil84
post Sep 8 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #48

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 170

eBay: Trollbouy

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Sep 8 2009, 10:51 AM)
As mentioned earlier, we're simply not going to condone the use of personal payments for transactions that are clearly outside the scope of the acceptable use cases listed at this location on PayPal's web site.

So, I've already begun to inform sellers that they need to refrain from requesting personal payments for purchases.  If a member continues that practice despite being asked to stop, it will be addressed.  wink.gif

-Bob

Thats good to know.. That way if someone asks for a gift payment for a transaction know I have the backing of TCC when I say I will not send the payment that way.. Not that i need it but it's still good to know that you guys are doing whats best for the members on the site..

I think this has been a very good thread..

TCG Director of Advanced Medicine..
MY BUCKET
http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/gs...rading%20Cards/

My Trade Ratings...
TCCentral 167 Trades
SCForum 320 Trades
SCFreaks 4 Trades

IF YOU ONLY TRADE. GM FOR GM/ AUTOS FOR AUTOS and BASE FOR BASE. PLEASE TELL ME

Always looking for National Treasures Hofer Autos

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Sep 8 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #49

Legend
Group Icon

Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gsil84 @ Sep 8 2009, 11:29 AM)
Thats good to know.. That way if someone asks for a gift payment for a transaction know I have the backing of TCC when I say I will not send the payment that way.. Not that i need it but it's still good to know that you guys are doing whats best for the members on the site..

I think this has been a very good thread..

If you should see it please report it to a Team Member. Thanks.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
DrewDude
post Sep 10 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #50

Veteran
Group Icon

Transactions: 6

View Gallery

Create Transaction

There is a simple solution to the PayPal fee problem that doesn't break their terms of service. As long as your not a big time card dealer (under $500 per month), just make a personal account when making your PayPal account. There are no fees on any transaction, and you are still allowed to take 5 credit card payments per month.
Even if you expand past getting paid $500 a month on PayPal, you can always move your account up to Premier free, fast, and easy. Basically, if you are planning on nickel and diming PayPal on their fees, you probably aren't doing enough business to warrant anything more than a Personal account anyway, so you should just sign up for Personal and get no fees the fair and easier way.

My Amazing Mat Latos Personal Collection!

MY BUCKET

I have 114 positive feedback (no negatives or neutrals) on SportsCardForum.com under the same user name, so don't hesitate to trade with me.

+Quote Post
benshobbies
post Sep 10 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #51

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Benjamin
Transactions: 63

eBay: benshobbies

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Sep 7 2009, 10:47 PM)
Brian,

This isn't just about their conflict resolution services.  That's an important component of this discussion as well though, but we can discuss that in more detail later.

You are using a service that allows you to transfer money between accounts electronically.  That service allows you to exchange funds in seconds from the comfort of your home.  That service allows you to avoid paying the fees associated with purchasing a money order.  That service allows you to avoid paying the postage necessary to mail cash, a money order or a check.  That service helps you avoid the risk involved with mailing such payment types.  PayPal believes that the service has some value.  Therefore, PayPal charges fees for that service.

-Bob

And I, as a loyal Paypal customer am willing to take them. Since when does any other service allow you to take money from someone's Canadian bank account, and transfer it to an American bank account? Or much more so, than allowing me to pay $4.00 for a computer part that someone has in Hong Kong, without me having to buy Chinese money?!

NEW AND IMPROVED!! Check out my bucket! @ http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab175/benshobbies/ My photobucket! Right now all that is uploaded is my PC, but its a work in progress. Cards updated regularly! Praise God!

Collecting the 2008 UD Masterpieces Captured in Canvas Green Game Used Jersey set. Please PM me if you have any cards I need! I am 29/60 (49%) through the set.

I collect O.J. Mayo 2008-09 RC's and 2008+ Miami Dolphins RC's. Mainly interested in Chad Henne & Jake Long. Let me know if you would like to trade.

"That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." (Ephesians 5:27, KJV)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Oct 1 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #52

Legend
Group Icon

Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Sep 8 2009, 10:51 AM)

So, I've already begun to inform sellers that they need to refrain from requesting personal payments for purchases.  If a member continues that practice despite being asked to stop, it will be addressed.  wink.gif

-Bob

Just wanted to make this topic visible for any new members not familiar with the "gift" function of paypal, and TCC's opinion on the use of that function.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
bluechip
post Oct 1 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #53

MVP
Group Icon

Transactions: 43

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Sep 7 2009, 11:34 PM)
If that method is used for accepting payments for purchases (as defined by PayPal), please explain how that is not being deceptive in order to use a service without paying for that service.  unsure.gif
There's a logical reason why the shipping tools work that way...  Why are you shipping packages related to gifts or personal payments?  Reference my comments from above.  wink.gif

-Bob

I agree with your statements, but it can be viewed as an exchange of gifts by the 2 parties.

Trade Page

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s169/hacksaw55/

How to Add photobucket in my Sig in TCC

Looking for:

Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Ladainian Tomlinson, Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, ERIK AINGES

Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Schaub, Matt Leinart, Matt Gutierrez, Matt Stafford

My Want List

I RATHER TRADE THEN SELL, UNLESS YOU COME WITH $$$ I CAN'T REFUSE!!!

I have yet to be ripped off in any trade, I deliever what I say, so unless you are well established trader on TCC w/o past problems, don't be insulted if I ask you to send first, I don't care if you've done 20 trades in one week

+Quote Post
edgerrin32
post Oct 1 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #54

TCC's mr. talk a lot! :)>
Group Icon

First Name: Jason
Transactions: 37

Awards:
November 2010 Member of the Month

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

i see tons of people bashing people about pack search, why not bash people for stealing, or lying? isn't that what you are doing when you pack search?? we all hate the fees, i think eBay/and paypal fees are a tad high, i sold around 140 worth of coins on ebay, and the paypal/eBay fees together were around 20 bucks, i think that's a lot for 140 bucks, but i paid it.

also i believe if you have money on your paypal acct and you send it as a payment, i think there is no fees. im not 100% sure on this though, so don't take my word for it. maybe if we could contact paypal and see if they would work with us on lower fees or since we do bring them a lot of business. most likely they wont but its worth a shot.

so man up, pay the fees, stop lying, cheating, stealing, and pack searching laugh.gif laugh.gif

Always looking for Edgerrin James and Javarris James cards I need!

**MY WANTS**
-2007 topps tx superbowl ticket stub auto versions only. Base set of stubs is done!
-2001-2006 topps tix super tix superbowl ticket stub cards and auto version.
-Colts Super Bowl tickets from any Super Bowl they played in. Prefer full tickets but would be open to stubs as well. Only tickets from the Manning ERA!
-A Super Bowl ticket or stub from the AZ Cardinals and Steelers.
-Any full ticket or stub that has Edgerrin James on it!
-Edgerrin James- Mostly rarer stuff. Also odd ball type items.
-Javarris James- Mostly rarer stuff. Also odd ball type items.
-Any checklist that has Edgerrin or Javarris James name on it!
-Any cards of the actors from Married With Children.
-Ice-T auto- From Razor.
-Some of the Celebrity GU and autos. Mostly famous movie actors I like. Nothing super high end.

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
Ilovetheheat
post Oct 1 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #55

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Jeremy
Transactions: 259

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Here is my two cents....

I would never send payment as a gift if the deal was over $15 or if I didnt know or have a relationship with the seller....

With that said I have and will continue to send payments as gifts in the future if A. I know the seller and have dealt with him previously or B. the amount is less than $15.

I sell just as much as I buy/trade here and elsewhere... At the end of the month when you add up all the fees you incur on ebay/paypal etc it does take a chunk of your profit. I have no problem spending a few extra cents to help a seller out with fees.

I did not always have this outlook on the matter..... After receiving around 10 payments from various sites(All under$10) as gifts(their choice) it made me smile and think to myself..... Heck, a few more cents wont hurt me.

Alot of you guys make some valid points though... I would never request a payment be sent as a gift. That is your choice. Also, Id never send payment as a gift for anything high end or when buying in bulk. There is no protection for either of the parties involved......

Take Care.
-Jeremy

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
edgerrin32
post Oct 1 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

Awards:

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Ilovetheheat @ Oct 1 2009, 12:36 PM)
Here is my two cents....

I would never send payment as a gift if the deal was over $15 or if I didnt know or have a relationship with the seller....

With that said I have and will continue to send payments as gifts in the future if A. I know the seller and have dealt with him previously or B. the amount is less than $15.

I sell just as much as I buy/trade here and elsewhere... At the end of the month when you add up all the fees you incur on ebay/paypal etc it does take a chunk of your profit. I have no problem spending a few extra cents to help a seller out with fees.

I did not always have this outlook on the matter..... After receiving around 10 payments from various sites(All under$10) as gifts(their choice) it made me smile and think to myself..... Heck, a few more cents wont hurt me.
Alot of you guys make some valid points though... I would never request a payment be sent as a gift. That is your choice. Also, Id never send payment as a gift for anything high end or when buying in bulk. There is no protection for either of the parties involved......

Take Care.
-Jeremy

so its ok to steal a candy bar because its only $1. but not ok to steal a car, because its $25,000. stealing is stealing no matter how big or small it is. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

or its ok to steal from someone who has a lot of money, but its not cool to steal from someone who is poor.

just makes no since to me. unsure.gif

**MY WANTS**
-2007 topps tx superbowl ticket stub auto versions only. Base set of stubs is done!
-Colts Super Bowl tickets from any Super Bowl they played in. Prefer full tickets but would be open to stubs as well. Only tickets from the Manning ERA!
-Ice-T auto- From Razor.
-Some of the Celebrity GU and autos. Mostly famous movie actors I like. Nothing super high end.

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
degibson84
post Oct 1 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #57

TCC's original Joe Thomas super collector
Group Icon

First Name: Dan
Transactions: 307

Awards:
August 2009 Pack Pull of the Month

Restrictions:
Current Transactions Only

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gsil84 @ Sep 7 2009, 11:35 PM)
I dont use Paypal shipping becuase mine has not worked for about 6 months. I have called them a few times and they have never got it to work..

Bob Im just asking.. To me Paypal is like my bank.. I have money in it and they pay me no intrest.. But still use my money just like a bank.. So that is my fees.

I was also trying to find out what people think..

paypal does have a money market fund that earns you a very small percent of interest. im not sure the deatails but i have thought about it as i keep my card spending money there so i dont have to use the bank account.

collecting Browns, Buckeyes, LeSean McCoy patches, and Browns HOF AUs

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb69/degibson84/

user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Ilovetheheat
post Oct 1 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #58

HOF
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(edgerrin32 @ Oct 1 2009, 01:40 PM)
so its ok to steal a candy bar because its only $1. but not ok to steal a car, because its $25,000. stealing is stealing no matter how big or small it is.  blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

or its ok to steal from someone who has a lot of money, but its not cool to steal from someone who is poor.

just makes no since to me. unsure.gif

If beating the system of a billion dollar company to save a fellow collector a few cents is stealing.......... Then consider me a thief!

Our banks, credit companies and government steal from us daily. Me getting over on a few cents to help another collector does not prevent me from sleeping at night brother. I like to believe I am a man of values/morals and ethics. Stealing in this situation is subjective. One mans terrorists is the next mans freedom fighter.

Suggesting we shouldnt use the gift option when sending a payment for protection issues is a valid argument. Saying we shouldnt because we are stealing is hilarious IMO. Pay Pal was bought by ebay a while back for $1.5 billion.... They get no sympathy from me. IMHO they are raping and extorting us who make a living solely online!

Take Care.
-Jeremy

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
edgerrin32
post Oct 1 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #59

Group Icon

Awards:

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Ilovetheheat @ Oct 1 2009, 01:20 PM)
If beating the system of a billion dollar company to save a fellow collector a few cents is stealing.......... Then consider me a thief!

Our banks, credit companies and government steal from us daily. Me getting over on a few cents to help another collector does not prevent me from sleeping at night brother. I like to believe I am a man of values/morals and ethics. Stealing in this situation is subjective. One mans terrorists is the next mans freedom fighter.

Suggesting we shouldnt use the gift option when sending a payment for protection issues is a valid argument. Saying we shouldnt because we are stealing is hilarious IMO. Pay Pal was bought by ebay a while back for $1.5 billion.... They get no sympathy from me. IMHO they are raping and extorting us who make a living solely online!

Take Care.
-Jeremy

is losing a few cent now and them going to bankrupt them. NO. but its still, wrong. i was raised not to steal, no matter if its little or big. and yes we all get cheated everyday. did you know that it cost cell phone companies nothing to send text messages!! but they still charge for it. and the government is looking at stepping in on this were it would be free. so if we get cheated its ok to cheat??? a eye for a eye make the world blind. pokey.gif

**MY WANTS**
-Ice-T auto- From Razor.

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
Ilovetheheat
post Oct 1 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #60

HOF
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(edgerrin32 @ Oct 1 2009, 02:48 PM)
so if we get cheated its ok to cheat??? a eye for a eye make the world blind.  pokey.gif

I never said either of those.

I stand by my post on this issue. Pay Pal is raping simple average folks who make a living online. Cheating them out of a few cents is my form of giving them the finger.

Take care.
-Jeremy

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 17th April 2024 - 08:51 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us