Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

2 Pages  1 2 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> OK is this the end of the hobby?

northicehero99
post Jun 25 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #1

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Went out to one of my favorite sites to look at box prices and was totally in shock to read that the presell price for 2013-14 Score hockey is get this $49.99 for a 36 pack box????? Really???? Ok so they made each box have an autograph, does that really constitute a reason for a 67% price increase in the box??? This is not UD S1, yet it is only $14 cheaper that what UD S1 "usually" comes out at. Not sure what that one will be at presell this year, but that is just crazy for Score. Guess I will not be buying that one this year, it is usually a fun break, but the extra for what will probably be a rookie whosit auto just does not seem worth it IMO. I see Artifacts is at it's normal price range of $90s presell, so that seems like a better bargain, maybe? What do you think?

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jun 25 2013, 01:17 PM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

with the double rookie class it increases your odds for a whozit by 4!

I refuse to buy panini hockey products

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
CardCraze
post Jun 25 2013, 01:47 PM
Post #3

All of Your Higgins are belong to me.
Group Icon

First Name: Trevor
Transactions: 70

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The only Panini product I've ever really liked was 2011/12 Contenders, and even then it was full of whozits. I just liked the patch cards, they were nice looking!

Too many redemptions and no-names in Panini products.

Summer trade craze strikes again!

My Tradelist

user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 25 2013, 04:41 PM
Post #4

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jun 25 2013, 01:17 PM)
with the double rookie class it increases your odds for a whozit by 4!

I refuse to buy panini hockey products

Yeah, but beyond that the rookies in Score generally don't book much unless they are the SSP ones and that was the attraction the last few years as they were 1 every so many boxes. The set size looks the same from what I read. The only new thing is that the Jumbo boxes which go for $90 will have 2 autos and a gu for that price. That might be the better way to go, however I think there will be a lot of whosit autos in this stuff.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 25 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(CardCraze @ Jun 25 2013, 01:47 PM)
The only Panini product I've ever really liked was 2011/12 Contenders, and even then it was full of whozits. I just liked the patch cards, they were nice looking!

Too many redemptions and no-names in Panini products.

I actually like some of their products, especially at the right price. Score was one of those that was fun and was about the cards and the set, not the hits. If you got a hit great, if not no big deal, this product was more about a cheap way to build a set or collect more than just star player cards for your team. I actually like the 11/12 Pinnacle too now that the price has dropped to around $30. Everyone I have seen opened was a fair value for the price.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
redwing40
post Jun 25 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #6

HOF
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 248

Awards:
Member of the Month Jan 15

View Gallery

Create Transaction

$49.99 for a 36 pack box? Might as will spend a little extra and get a better product! Gees

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jun 25 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #7

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Dwight
Transactions: 907

eBay: urbanmonk

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Yeah saw that too, not sure on the OPC price but UD made me mad with them doing a wrapper redemption on it in Canada again this year but not in the US for the Red parallels. I used to build the OPC set every year, but won't buy any this year and maybe none of their products (unsure as of yet what I will do).

TCC's Cousin Itt

Looking for former Oregon State players in NFL, Steven Jackson top priority:

PC Want list for Modano, Have list for my FB PC and Trade lists for FB and HK

Mike Modano count 1,268 different cards out of 4,439 listed on Beckett

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 26 2013, 05:44 AM
Post #8

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Jun 25 2013, 09:25 PM)
Yeah saw that too, not sure on the OPC price but UD made me mad with them doing a wrapper redemption on it in Canada again this year but not in the US for the Red parallels.  I used to build the OPC set every year, but won't buy any this year and maybe none of their products (unsure as of yet what I will do).

I was disappointed with the wrapper redemption program only being in Canada as well, and wrote on Chris Carlin's blog page. I don't know if he responded as I never checked. I stopped buying OPC on first run due to it usually falling in price later in the year as more products are released and the over abundance of retail at a cheaper price. The other thing that I did not like was the "update" set being added into UD. Really? A 600 card set already and now I have to buy 5 boxes of UD to get the remaining 20 cards???? To me for that little bit of cards it was not even worth doing an update and all that does is water down UD even more than having just the Victory rcs.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jun 26 2013, 06:34 AM
Post #9

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Jun 26 2013, 03:44 AM)
I was disappointed with the wrapper redemption program only being in Canada as well, and wrote on Chris Carlin's blog page.  I don't know if he responded as I never checked.  I stopped buying OPC on first run due to it usually falling in price later in the year as more products are released and the over abundance of retail at a cheaper price.  The other thing that I did not like was the "update" set being added into UD.  Really?  A 600 card set already and now I have to buy 5 boxes of UD to get the remaining 20 cards????  To me for that little bit of cards it was not even worth doing an update and all that does is water down UD even more than having just the Victory rcs.

They commented on folks comments about wrapper redemption on their Facebook page with:

"O-Pee-Chee has always been a Canadian brand with a lot of history up there. We run a variety of promotions for US collectors for hockey, in particular National Hockey Card Day in the USA. Look for more exciting promotions this year tied to the Double Rookie Class"

Though I got no comment when I pointed out that was a bad example using NHCD, as Canada has it and had it for years before we got it in the US and wasn't an exclusive down here like this is up there. And that I understood OPC was a Canadian brand, but that was back in the day when Topps was the American version of the same thing and we don't have that anymore. I just feel if they want to do a wrapper redemption for something then it should be that all folks get to participate, as if we bust boxes we get nothing for the wrappers just a "we appreciate your business blah blah blah" line. As being a Player Collector nothing more of a pain in the behind if a card is issued for your Player but only in another Country and a short print at that. I'm also tired of all the influx of "Canadian sets" UD is throwing into their product as there is no "Team USA GU" set for example or any other country for that matter. I mean I get it that it's bigger up north for collectors but it's not like us down here go "ohhh cool I got a Team Canada GU of my favorite player" wink.gif and occasinal set one thing but it's in every product (maybe they just got a ton of Team Canada JSY's cheap and trying to use them up, I don't know)
Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age but I feel like the are shunning us down here in the US for being Hockey Collectors, and I do have a choice now of brands for Hockey cards so maybe I will just have exercise my right to choose what brand I buy.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 26 2013, 04:59 PM
Post #10

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Jun 26 2013, 06:34 AM)
And that I understood OPC was a Canadian brand, but that was back in the day when Topps was the American version of the same thing and we don't have that anymore.  I just feel if they want to do a wrapper redemption for something then it should be that all folks get to participate, as if we bust boxes we get nothing for the wrappers just a "we appreciate your business blah blah blah" line. 

If it is a Canada only brand then why do they sell it in the states?? It is on the shelves at every Target, Walmart, and Kmart, so that don't fly. laugh.gif Yeah, as is tradition, UD just doesn't care what the consumer has to say and until we stop buying they will never realize, same with all the card companies.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jun 26 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #11

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Go to page two on the breakdown from vegaspuck on what is in what type of product etc... in the Score Hockey

thread

As he is the brand manager for Hockey, they keep making things complicated with parallels and now different back cards like Topps etc.. and their different picture SP stuff.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
redwing40
post Jun 26 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #12

HOF
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 248

Awards:
Member of the Month Jan 15

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Yeah, was never thrilled with OPC, maybe back in the 80s when OPC RC's was worth more than Topps RC's, never got that! Then came the UD French version in the 90s, which both sold in the US, but cant read French cards!
Even today, the past product of OPC, Score and even UD YGs BV has dropped, nice to collect, but might as well bring back Pro set, its BV is really doing well today! Lol, just don't know what to buy now or days
thanks for the info guys!

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jun 26 2013, 06:20 PM
Post #13

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(redwing40 @ Jun 26 2013, 04:11 PM)
Yeah, was never thrilled with OPC, maybe back in the 80s when OPC RC's was worth more than Topps RC's, never got that! Then came the UD French version in the 90s, which both sold in the US, but cant read French cards!
Even today, the past product of OPC, Score and even UD YGs BV has dropped, nice to collect, but might as well bring back Pro set, its BV is really doing well today! Lol, just don't know what to buy now or days

The OPC print runs were smaller than the Topps ones I think...hence the price difference.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 27 2013, 06:46 AM
Post #14

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Jun 26 2013, 05:25 PM)
As he is the brand manager for Hockey, they keep making things complicated with parallels and now different back cards like Topps etc.. and their different picture SP stuff.

Why does Panini seem to not get the concept that collectors have been paralleled into submission??? I don't mind one parallel or a specialty parallel like the OPC reds last year, but filling packs with worthless parallels that have different colors is just idiotic IMO. Just give me base cards, creative inserts, and good rookies and I am happy, no need for overkill with 15 parallel versions.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 27 2013, 06:49 AM
Post #15

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Jun 26 2013, 06:20 PM)
The OPC print runs were smaller than the Topps ones I think...hence the price difference.

Usually OPC had larger sets as well which led to less of each card, whereas Topps was usually 132 cards or so depending on year. In addition, OPC sometimes has the only RC of some players as the Topps set was just too small to include them.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 27 2013, 06:57 AM
Post #16

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(redwing40 @ Jun 26 2013, 06:11 PM)

Paul, you have to look at this as a hobby, not an investment, if you are building sets or collecting a team. Hobbies generally don't make money (other than to the people selling the products laugh.gif). A few do like coin collecting or collecting vintage cards, but as a general rule most don't. At least that is the way I look at my collection and I am sure others do as well with their collection.

To do it as an investment you have to treat it like stocks and buy cards low and resell high, and by that I mean speculate on guys you know will be hot in the future, or buy guys at their low point, like when Crosby was out with a concussion his cards were selling low, then we got hot this year would have been a good time to sell.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jun 27 2013, 09:40 AM
Post #17

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Jun 27 2013, 04:57 AM)
Paul, you have to look at this as a hobby, not an investment, if you are building sets or collecting a team.  Hobbies generally don't make money (other than to the people selling the products laugh.gif).  A few do like coin collecting or collecting vintage cards, but as a general rule most don't.  At least that is the way I look at my collection and I am sure others do as well with their collection. 

To do it as an investment you have to treat it like stocks and buy cards low and resell high, and by that I mean speculate on guys you know will be hot in the future, or buy guys at their low point, like when Crosby was out with a concussion his cards were selling low, then we got hot this year would have been a good time to sell.

Just like Kane is selling well at the moment but will drop back down after a bit. If you are looking for ROI (Return on Investment) you are better off in stocks or precious metals and other less volatile things. People make money on cards, but it isn't the majority, same with getting value back from a box purchase it just doesn't happen most of the time as every box doesn't have the 1k dollar card in it.

Usually OPC had larger sets as well which led to less of each card, whereas Topps was usually 132 cards or so depending on year. In addition, OPC sometimes has the only RC of some players as the Topps set was just too small to include them.

Much better explanation, what I meant to say laugh.gif Also the larger the set the more SPs due to the way they printed them and the number of cards per sheet.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jun 27 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #18

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Jun 26 2013, 06:20 PM)

lets not forget how poorly the cards were cut as they never sharpened their blades smile.gif

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jun 27 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #19

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

and without copying and pasting a bunch of comments above.

I am paralleled to death and just dont get why they think we need this. I understand the impetus to "increase the value per pack" but.. it doesnt!

and this whole SP, SSP XSSSP designation with different photo, backs, whatever.. really! i mean this is straight out of Topps playbook. takes me back to the early eighties and the famous UER and VAR designations. personally it doesnt excite me and causes mass confusion.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jun 27 2013, 01:56 PM
Post #20

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jun 27 2013, 09:09 AM)
and without copying and pasting a bunch of comments above.

I am paralleled to death and just dont get why they think we need this. I understand the impetus to "increase the value per pack" but.. it doesnt!

and this whole SP, SSP XSSSP designation with different photo, backs, whatever.. really! i mean this is straight out of Topps playbook. takes me back to the early eighties and the famous UER and VAR designations. personally it doesnt excite me and causes mass confusion.

Agreed if something is that limited then number it. Same goes for this announcing something being XSSSSSSSSP later on, after someone has given someone else a steal. Least that way if folks get took it's their own fault for not researching it, but if they don't announce those things when product comes out then that happens. Not like they don't know the print runs on those cards already.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 17th April 2024 - 10:59 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us