Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

18 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »  
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> *OFFICIAL* 2010 Redskins Thread, The Offseason Begins

Gforce083
post Oct 28 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #61

HOF
Group Icon

Transactions: 540
(View: Pending | Failed)

Awards:
2008 Favorite Box Break Host

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

QUOTE(stormfan7 @ Oct 28 2008, 04:22 PM)
Here we go Steelers, here we go smile.gif
In all seriousness, I am still having a tough time figuring out the Redskins...it's almost like they play to the level of the opponent which is good when they play decent football teams, but who knows?

I hope Portis is healthy, I think that will be a good match-up (Portis vs. Steelers run D).

My roomate is 'Skins fan...things should be interesting in our apartment on Monday Night!!

By the way...

If Washington wins, the incumbent party will stay in the White House (McCain)
If Washington losses, the opposite party will win the election (Obama)
It's happened every election year since 1936...

Where did you dig up this fact? Please provide us with some creditable sources...because if this is true, this could be the one and only time I could get my Cowboy loving wife to root for the Skins hahahahaha.

User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Oct 28 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #62

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Seth Wickersham
ESPN The Magazine)

Rest assured, Portis has been the MVP so far
By Seth Wickersham
ESPN The Magazine

Clinton Portis leads the league in rushing with 944 yards, far ahead of Adrian Peterson (684).

You want a midseason MVP? I'll take the guy on one knee. Clinton Portis does that often, you know. He rests every chance he gets. It has become a humorous point for his Washington Redskins teammates, who notice that during a fourth-quarter timeout or two-minute warning, Portis is down on bended knee, catching his breath.

Portis' act goes against football machismo, which suggests players are never supposed to openly display fatigue, but he doesn't care. He actually likes looking tired, then proving he's not. And he and the Redskins -- even after their ugly 25-17 win over the winless Lions -- have proven a lot so far. Nobody thought Portis would be closing so many wins in the fourth quarter. Not this year, at least. Not in the NFC East, football's toughest division, where the Redskins were supposed to stare up at the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles. Well, guess what? Washington is 6-2, a half-game behind first-place New York. And Portis is the NFL's leading rusher, with 944 yards and five straight 100-yard games. And, with all due respect to Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger and Albert Haynesworth, he's also the league's midway MVP.

Few thought that at age 27, in his seventh year in the NFL, the 5-foot-11, 228-pound Portis would experience such a career ascent. He's at the age at which most backs level off. At various times, Portis himself has been uncertain of his long-term future. Heck, he forced a trade from Denver in 2004 because he knew his shelf life could be short. "The window for a running back is only open so long," Portis told me on the day he was introduced as a Redskin. "Right now is my time to get what I'm worth."

Nobody was exactly sure of his worth. He'd played well in Denver, where nearly every running back does. And this decade hasn't been kind to the notion of the bank-breaking superstar tailback. Their typically short career span has forced teams to invest top dollars elsewhere and rely on late-rounders and tandems to supply the ground game. And so when Portis was given a $17-million bonus from Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, it seemed less a wise investment and more an expensive Band-Aid, for which the impulsive Snyder is notorious.

But Portis has earned his money. Only LaDainian Tomlinson has rushed for more yards since Portis entered the league in 2002. But that doesn't mean it has been easy. He has suffered an array of injuries the past two years, showing the kind of wear and tear that often derails a back's career and lends credence to those GMs who refuse to invest major money in them. Portis' diligence in rehabbing was questioned, as was his commitment to being a team leader, seeing as how he spent offseasons training in Miami with his boys from The U.

Portis' contract was redone this past offseason, with financial incentives to be present at the Redskins' offseason workout program. Once he was there, two veterans, receiver James Thrash and linebacker London Fletcher, implored the ever-social Portis to trade some of his partying for harder work at the team complex. "I just respect those guys so much," says Portis. "It was more taking life seriously. Training with those guys, they're the type of guys who I actually look up to."

Another reason Portis has staved off decline is that he has been used differently than ever before. He's carrying the ball more than any other year (23 attempts per game in 2008, compared to his career average of 20) but is being spelled more often in the first three quarters so that he's fresh in the fourth. Twenty-eight percent of his carries this season have been in the final quarter, as opposed to 20 percent during his previous six years. "That's why you get the big bucks," Portis says.

He's had a lingering ankle injury all year. And against the Lions, he got into a shouting match with head coach Jim Zorn after Portis missed a few plays with an equipment issue and reinserted himself into the game without telling anyone. But it's no surprise that when asked to name the moments of which he's most proud, Portis doesn't cite his five straight 100-yard games, or his eight carries of 20-plus yards (he had three last season) but instead three fourth-quarter drives. On the first, against the Saints on Sept. 14, Portis had three straight carries to put the game away. On the second, against the Cowboys on Sept. 28, he had 33 yards rushing on a 12-play, 6-minute, 54-second drive that led to a game-clinching field goal. And on the third, against the Eagles on Oct. 5, his five carries on a 13-play, 7-minute, 18-second drive helped secure another win.

"I'm proud that we stay on the field," Portis says. "In previous years, we hurt ourselves in those situations. Now we stay on the field for seven, eight minutes."

Even if a few of them are spent on one knee.

Seth Wickersham is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and a columnist for ESPN.com

+Quote Post
jleaseburg
post Oct 28 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #63

SCHMITT HAPPENS!
Group Icon

First Name: Jason
Transactions: 50

eBay: tankgod29

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(stormfan7 @ Oct 28 2008, 05:22 PM)
By the way...

If Washington wins, the incumbent party will stay in the White House (McCain)
If Washington losses, the opposite party will win the election (Obama)
It's happened every election year since 1936...

I remember reading somewhere about the election thing also. It was true up until the 2004 election when the Redskins lost to the Packers, which John Kerry should have won with the Skins loss.

MY WANTS:

Redskins HOF auto NEEDS:
George Allen, Cliff Battles, Turk Edwards, Paul Krause, George Preston Marshall, Wayne Millner, Russ Grimm

Autos and G/U'd of West Virginia University players in WV uniform.

MY BUCKET

user posted image

NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Oct 28 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #64

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(jleaseburg @ Oct 28 2008, 04:56 PM)
I remember reading somewhere about the election thing also.  It was true up until the 2004 election when the Redskins lost to the Packers, which John Kerry should have won with the Skins loss.

Well thank goodness that didn't happen! If people think Bush screwed up...oh boy Kerry would have destroyed this country. But I'm not trying to get into any kind of political debate...THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE SKINS!!!

+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Oct 28 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #65

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

What's everyone's opinion on the Portis article, naming him the midseason MVP?

+Quote Post
Kiansdad
post Oct 28 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #66

Reunited and it feels so good!
Group Icon

First Name: Tim
Transactions: 189

eBay: bears-4-kiansdad

Awards:
2008 Favorite Team Collection

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Oct 28 2008, 06:07 PM)
What's everyone's opinion on the Portis article, naming him the midseason MVP?

Nice article, but midseason MVP means just slighty less then preseason #1 in college football. laugh.gif

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

Current Mitchell Trubisky collection totals:
470 DIFFERENT cards including:
179 auto cards,
21 1/1s
.. and growing almost every day it seems!

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Oct 28 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #67

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Kiansdad @ Oct 28 2008, 07:17 PM)
Nice article, but midseason MVP means just slighty less then preseason #1 in college football. laugh.gif

haha

+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Oct 29 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #68

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Washington Post.com 10/29/08)
So, What Did You Bring for Show and Tell?

By Mike Wise
Wednesday, October 29, 2008; E03

As the shrieks and shrills grew to decibels unheard of in suburban Virginia, as hundreds of tiny young voices pierced the air of this special school assembly -- "JA-SON! JA-SON!" -- one thought came to mind:

Poor Tim Dehaven.

After his 7-year-old daughter Taylor -- she's the one with the Redskins hair bands holding up her blond pigtails, seated in the front -- won the NFL's Take a Player to School Sweepstakes, after Taylor rolled up to P.B. Smith Elementary School yesterday in a gleaming jet-black stretch limousine with Jason Campbell -- only the starting quarterback for the Washington Redskins (and the coolest person in the history of mankind, according to several children interviewed yesterday) -- well, let's be honest:

Take Your Dad To School Day loses just a bit of juice.

"Is this unbelievable or what?" Tim said, panning the room with his hand-held video camera, filming the greatest day of a second-grader's life.

Taylor's mom, Sheila, and her 4-year-old brother, Nicholas, looked on in stunned amazement as Taylor grabbed the microphone and, upon prompting from Principal Patricia Comstock, bellowed, "Here is Jason Campbell!" amid more deafening shrieks and shrills.

Wearing a No. 17 jersey, it was as if Hannah Montana had come to Warrenton.

"This is like one of them pep rallies I went to on a Friday afternoon in high school in Mississippi," said Campbell, who was in awe himself -- of the burgundy-and-gold banners, balloons, drawings, painted faces, and of Taylor, who welcomed him to this spirited slice of Virginia, where he was clearly on message in this battleground state.

"Taylor for president," he said underneath a massive American flag in the assembly room. "I mean, look at her, she's got everything. She's smart. She's fun. I'm just glad she picked me as her running mate. I think we're good to go in Virginia."

"Vote for me," Taylor said, on cue.

Did we mention Campbell's high school and home town is named Taylorsville?

"Really?" Taylor asked.

"Yep," Jason said.

Serendipity ruled the day.

I'm probably dating myself, but remember "The Brady Bunch" episode when Bobby concocts a story about being deathly ill, until Joe Namath actually shows up in his back yard to play catch with the faker? Or when Mean Joe Greene tossed the jersey to that kid in the iconic Coca-Cola commercial?

Yeah? Hollywood schmaltz. This was as genuine as it gets, unscripted interaction between a modest, athletic hero and the little girl who represented his adoring fan base.

Taylor was one of 34 children to win basically the NFL's golden ticket, an opportunity to take a pro football star to school and design a workout of their own with the player. The impetus behind the program, also sponsored by J.C. Penney and ESPN, was to get kids to buy into a youth fitness initiative -- something Campbell took seriously in his speech to the children.

"I know a lot of you have Nintendos, PlayStations and Game Boys," he said before encouraging them to get out of the house and work out. He added a bunch of no-nos when a child seated up front blurted out, "No sugar rush!"

Not all of Campbell's fear-based ploys worked, however.

"Who wants to get hit by a big, 350-pound lineman?"

"I do, I do," a few children yelled.

"You do?" he said, as the room giggled back.

Taylor's big day began before 9 a.m., when Campbell came to pick her up and meet the family. When he arrived, most of Warrenton had showed up in the Dehaven living room, including Taylor's best friend, McKinley, who hugged her before she left for school, as if to say, "You go, girl."

Taylor was a pistol, jumping rope, catching overhand passes from Campbell, who had to take a little something off those he usually throws to Santana Moss and Chris Cooley. "Jim Zorn once told me the first pass he threw to a cheerleader, he gave her a bloody nose," he volunteered. "So I want to be careful of that."

There were other tidbits gleaned from Washington's quarterback, courtesy of really smart and thought-out questions asked by P.B. Smith's finest:

"What player did you learn the most from in your career?"

"Mark Brunell," Campbell said, launching into a nice tribute about how the man he replaced helped him become a better person off the field.

"What do you do in your spare time?"

"Sleep."

And this gem, proving these kids did their homework: "How do you mentally turn yourself around after a play goes wrong?"

Campbell: "Uh."

By the end of the assembly Campbell had a group of kids, including Taylor, chanting "War Eagle!" for his beloved Auburn University. They in turn made him chant, "Roadrunners!"

When the quarterback of the Redskins lifted up Taylor in his big arms, she jumped as high as she jumped all day, conducting an impromptu interview with her special guest. (Taylor came up with two of the 10 questions by herself.)

Take a Player to School Day went off without a hitch. When it was over, it was hard to gauge who was more enraptured by the experience -- Taylor or the ridiculously large kid who wore his Jason Campbell No. 17 jersey to school, as kids will sometimes do.

"I really like the way they were cheering for me and him when he came out," Taylor said.

"This is fun, man, it's like a concert," Campbell said, as the shrieks continued. "I haven't been in second grade since I don't know when."

+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Oct 29 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #69

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Steelers @ Redskins Monday Night Football
user posted image

+Quote Post
jleaseburg
post Oct 29 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #70

SCHMITT HAPPENS!
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Oct 29 2008, 01:05 PM)
Steelers @ Redskins Monday Night Football
user posted image

Too bad the Steelers receiver in the photo won't be in the game.

MY WANTS:

Redskins HOF auto NEEDS:
George Allen, Cliff Battles, Turk Edwards, Paul Krause, George Preston Marshall, Wayne Millner, Russ Grimm

MY BUCKET

user posted image

NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Oct 29 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #71

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(jleaseburg @ Oct 29 2008, 12:17 PM)
Too bad the Steelers receiver in the photo won't be in the game.

Yes he will smile.gif Tomlin only deactivated him for last weeks game. Unless ol Sheriff Goodell has something to say, he's playing. Full Story

Which is fine...if Landry and the boys can contain the likes of TO & Whitten, Boldin & Fitz...I think they can handle some Homles & Ward.

+Quote Post
19th Century Indiana Jones
post Oct 29 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #72

Beta Version
Group Icon

Members Referred: 4
Transactions: 309

Awards:
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Profile/Signature

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Pre-war cards(baseball, horse racing)

Collect for pleasure and you will always find happiness.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
jleaseburg
post Oct 29 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #73

SCHMITT HAPPENS!
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 29 2008, 03:16 PM)

It was correct until the last election broke the streak.

MY WANTS:

Redskins HOF auto NEEDS:

MY BUCKET

user posted image

NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Nov 1 2008, 03:23 PM
Post #74

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE( 4 Keys to the Game Redskins.com)
OFFENSE

Redskins Pass Protection vs. Steelers Linebackers

It could be tough going for the Redskins’ second-ranked rushing offense on Monday night. The Steelers’ run defense has been a strong point for years.

The Redskins must establish a passing game to move the ball. That means giving Jason Campbell time to throw the ball.

Campbell has completed 66 percent of his passes for 1,754 yards and eight touchdowns. He has been sacked 16 times this season, 21st most in the league, but he has not been pressured into mistakes. He has zero interceptions in eight games.

Pass protection is a premium this game, and offensive linemen will need to communicate at pre-snap to make sure they are coordinated at the line of scrimmage. Clinton Portis, Mike Sellers, Chris Cooley and others will have to be involved in pass blocking.

Pittsburgh’s linebackers have a combination of size and speed. James Harrison is 6-0 and 242, and he leads the Steelers in sacks with 8.5. LaMarr Woodley is 6-2 and 265, and he has 7.5 sacks.

When they come off the edge, Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen must fend them off, with help from Cooley. When they come up the middle, look for Sellers and Portis to pick them up.

DEFENSE

Redskins Pass Rush vs. Ben Roethlisberger

Washington has relied on strong pass coverage to befuddle quarterbacks this season. At some point, the pass rush should pick up the slack.

The Redskins have just 10 sacks this season, with Andre Carter leading the defense with two. It hasn’t helped that Jason Taylor has been sidelined most of the season with a calf injury. His replacement Demetric Evans has one sack, but is strong in run defense.

Why is it so important to generate a pass rush against Roethlisberger? In the Steelers’ two losses this season, to Philadelphia and the New York Giants, Roethlisberger was sacked 13 times and threw a combined five interceptions.

Overall, Steelers quarterbacks have been sacked 23 times, 30th most in the league.

Roethlisberger has a tendency to hold the ball longer than other quarterbacks. He does have good mobility for a 6-5, 241-pound quarterback.

Left tackle Marvel Smith is out for the game due to a back injury, so Carter is expected to match up against Max Starks, a 6-8, 345-pound fifth-year pro.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Antwaan Randle El vs. Steelers Punt Coverage

For the second week in a row, the Redskins go up against the NFL’s second-ranked punt coverage unit. The Steelers have yielded just 4.9 yards per punt return this season.

This season, Antwaan Randle El is averaging just 6.5 yards per return.

It was Santana Moss who recorded the Redskins’ only touchdown on a punt return. Last week, he returned a punt 80 yards for the game-winning points in the 25-17 win over the Lions.

Randle El continues to get the bulk of returns, though. The punt return group is ranked 19th in the NFL following Moss’s big return.

Randle El played in Pittsburgh from 2002-05 and that could provide some extra motivation to make an impact in Monday night’s game.

1-ON-1

Casey Rabach vs. Casey Hampton

For the second time in three weeks, Casey Rabach goes up against a massive nose tackle in 6-1, 326-pounder Casey Hampton.

Rabach held his own against Cleveland’s Shaun Rogers on Oct. 19. Hampton is one of the elite defensive linemen in the NFL, earning trips to four Pro Bowls in the last decade.

Hampton has missed three games due to a groin injury this season. He has nine tackles in four games, but no sacks.

Rabach has been part of an offensive line that has been dominant in run blocking. He’ll need to get a strong push against Hampton to make sure he does not disrupt plays in the backfield.

+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Nov 2 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #75

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I'M READY FOR MONDAY NIGHT!!! BEEN SEEING ALL THE COMMERCIALS ABOUT IT AND I'M PUMPED!

+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Nov 3 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #76

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I should have worn my Redskins hat today!!! There are so many people around campus wearing Steeler jsy's!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

+Quote Post
19th Century Indiana Jones
post Nov 3 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #77

Beta Version
Group Icon

Members Referred: 4
Transactions: 309

Awards:
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Profile/Signature

View Gallery

Create Transaction

You need to wear a Redskins helmet and greet the Steeler jerseys the linebacker way. smile.gif

Pre-war cards(baseball, horse racing)

Collect for pleasure and you will always find happiness.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
Gforce083
post Nov 3 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #78

HOF
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Nov 3 2008, 12:29 PM)
You need to wear a Redskins helmet and greet the Steeler jerseys the linebacker way.  smile.gif

hahahaha! That would be awesome...If I had a full size helmet I'd wear it around!

+Quote Post
ffman
post Nov 3 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #79

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Cody
Transactions: 147

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I'm ready for some football!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image
RIP Daze_fan l RIP Steve McNair l RIP Chris Henry l RIP tazmocan
Collecting: Mickey Mantle, Tennessee Titans, 2006 Vince Young

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
snkpoct137
post Nov 3 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #80

HOF
Group Icon

Members Referred: 1
First Name: Steven
Transactions: 422

eBay: baseballkenneth1939

View Gallery

Create Transaction

byebye to Jason Campbells interception streak

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post

18 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 18th April 2024 - 07:09 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us