Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Obama signs final healthcare changes..., ...defends law

Zimbow
post Mar 30 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #1

I need a vacation
Group Icon

First Name: Bob
Transactions: 216
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: centralfalc1616

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100330/pl_nm/us_usa_healthcare

By Alister Bull and Patricia Zengerle Alister Bull And Patricia Zengerle – 15 mins ago

ALEXANDRIA, Va./WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama made another push to sell his healthcare overhaul to a skeptical public on Tuesday, calling it a victory over special interests that will help the middle-class and defending the "courage" of legislators who backed it.

"This day affirms our ability to overcome the challenges of our politics and meet the challenges of our time," Obama told a college audience outside Washington, as he signed into law the final changes to the sweeping plan approved by lawmakers last week, along with reforms in college student loan programs.

The signing capped a year-long struggle between Obama's Democrats and the Republicans, who have vowed to repeal the healthcare bill, that has set the stage for a bitter campaign for control of Congress in November.

Democrats have a majority in Congress, but Republicans are hoping to make gains later this year and have vowed to make the healthcare bill the centerpiece of the election battle.

Obama defended lawmakers who voted for the bill, the most sweeping shift in U.S. social policy in decades, and took aim at what he said were misleading attacks.

"Courage is an essential ingredient in any landmark legislation, particularly when the attacks are as fierce and unrelenting and inaccurate as they have been over the past year. I just want to commend members of Congress who had the courage to do what's right," he said.

Opinion polls show Obama and his Democrats will have to work hard to promote the 10-year, $940 billion overhaul.

Nearly two-thirds of Americans say the plan costs too much and expands the government's role too far into a private industry, according to a USA Today/Gallup survey published on Tuesday.

An insurance industry trade group said the law also does too little to address rising costs.

"The access expansions are a significant step forward, but this legislation will exacerbate the health care costs crisis facing many working families and small businesses," Karen Ignagni, president of the America's Health Insurance Plans group, said in a statement.

AHIP had also said on Monday that it would fully comply with regulations under the new law that banned excluding children from coverage if they had pre-existing health conditions. The New York Times had reported that insurers were arguing that at least for now they did not have to comply with that provision of the law.

In an interview that aired on Tuesday, Obama acknowledged that adjustments will be needed in the law to reduce costs.

"I think it is a critical first step in making a healthcare system that works for all Americans," Obama said in an interview on NBC's "Today" show. "It is not going to be the only thing. We are still going to have adjustments that have to be made to further reduce costs.

U.S. companies have started to tally up the financial hit they say they will take because of the law.

The government still pays subsidies to large firms to help pay for prescription drug benefits for their retirees, but the new law does not allow the corporations to also deduct the amount of the subsidies from their taxable income.

Corporate America calls the change a tax increase, but the White House says it merely closes a tax loophole.

John Boehner, who leads Republicans in the House of Representatives, said Obama signed "job-killing government takeovers."

"Employers across the country are continuing to reveal the costly fallout from 'ObamaCare' - including new tax hikes and mandates that make it harder to hire new workers, and put health care benefits promised to workers and retirees in jeopardy," he said in a statement.

Obama is to travel to Maine later this week for another event to tout the healthcare plan.

(Additional reporting by Matt Spetalnick and Steve Holland; writing by Patricia Zengerle; editing by Paul Simao)

Bob.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Mar 30 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

This Albatross will sink Obama and the democrats forever leaving a blight on the american taxpayers for decades to come.

Remember even FDR planned Social Security to end in 1948 but they found it hard to take something away after giving it out so Harry Truman extended it and it continues to be a huge burden on all of us!

Mark my word.. Health Insurance in the US is about to become a COLOSSAL MESS!

Obama should have left well enough alone!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
19th Century Indiana Jones
post Mar 30 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #3

Beta Version
Group Icon

Members Referred: 4
Transactions: 309

Awards:
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Profile/Signature

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I'd like to see them put EVERYONE on Social Security across the board and watch how fast they'll fix that.

Pre-war cards(baseball, horse racing)

Collect for pleasure and you will always find happiness.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Mar 30 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #4

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Mar 30 2010, 03:28 PM)
I'd like to see them put EVERYONE on Social Security across the board and watch how fast they'll fix that.

You cant fix a rainy day!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
RGBII
post Mar 30 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #5

Safe when Well Medicated
Group Icon

First Name: Richard
Transactions: 335

eBay: stevescollectibles9432

OpenChecklist:
RGBII

Awards:
2010 MVP Member 2010 Best Set/Vintage Collection 2009 MVP CZT Member 2009 Best Set/Vintage Collection 2008 Most Generous 2008 Thread of the Year 2008 Favorite Set Collection

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 30 2010, 04:26 PM)
This Albatross will sink Obama and the democrats forever leaving a blight  on the american taxpayers for decades to come.

Remember even FDR planned Social Security to end in 1948 but they found it hard to take something away after giving it out so Harry Truman extended it and it continues to be a huge burden on all of us!

Rest assured, I will.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

Bucket #1 * Bucket #2
user posted image
Proud member of
user posted image

+Quote Post
cdoyal
post Mar 31 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #6

I'm tired of "Hope and Change"
Group Icon

First Name: Chris
Transactions: 94

eBay: rcdoyal

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Mar 30 2010, 03:28 PM)

For the first time since it started, Social Security is now paying out more than it's taking in.

But I'm sure ObamaCare will be run better. wink.gif

My Bucket

I'm collecting Drew Brees, Kyle Orton, Anthony Spencer, and Dustin Keller
user posted image

NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
ffman
post Apr 1 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #7

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Cody
Transactions: 147

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(cdoyal @ Mar 31 2010, 07:22 AM)
For the first time since it started, Social Security is now paying out more than it's taking in.

But I'm sure ObamaCare will be run better.  wink.gif

I did a presentation on Social Security for an accounting class last year. It was interesting to find how close some of the SS programs are to that problem. I think I few programs already are over and others still has 10-15 years to go before they hit that mark.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image
RIP Daze_fan l RIP Steve McNair l RIP Chris Henry l RIP tazmocan
Collecting: Mickey Mantle, Tennessee Titans, 2006 Vince Young

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
snowblink
post Apr 7 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #8

MVP
Group Icon

Members Referred: 7
Transactions: 24

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I'll say that one thing that I find bothersome about the initial plan is how much emphasis is being put on - either get insurance or you will pay a penalty - wasn't the idea to insure those who couldn't afford it?

Maybe solve that problem before they start threatening people. Sure once there is an affordable option, if you choose not to join then a penalty is fair, but until then, suspect.

+Quote Post
stlbaseball15
post Apr 7 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #9

Popvlorvm Romae svm Tribvnvm.
Group Icon

First Name: Logan
Transactions: 35

eBay: stlbaseball77

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 30 2010, 02:26 PM)
This Albatross will sink Obama and the democrats forever leaving a blight  on the american taxpayers for decades to come.

Marking your word on the future hasn't helped me much so far, so I think I'll reserve my decision. I'm still waiting for Obama to lose to McCain and to be exposed as a secret, foreign-born Muslim.

FIAT IVSTICA, RVAT CAELVM.
user posted image

CDXX

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
jkseb1972
post Apr 7 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #10

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Joe
Transactions: 18

eBay: jandkseb

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Obama is a bum!

outdated bucket with pics

outdated bucket

My PSA set registry

http://www.psacard.com/set%5Fregistry/disp...ed=0&override=1

user posted image

"It is human nature that when one is given a little authority he will eventually begin to exercise unrightous dominion"

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 29th April 2024 - 05:09 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us