Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > »  
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Official STL Cardinals Thread!, 2009 NL Central Champs!!

MVPujols
post Nov 8 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #21

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Mike
Transactions: 393
(View: Pending | Failed)

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

What a horrible deal. I hope it doesnt go through.

Yeah, I'm torn on the whole thing. Part of me says do it, the smarter half says save the $ and get some pitching. I will be content either way, but only if they spend the $ elsewhere if they don't do it.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dekno2
post Nov 8 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #22

TCC's 2007 Co-Signers Dual MoonShots Auto Collector
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Chris
Transactions: 450

eBay: dekno2

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I hope this doesnt go through. Ludwick has the potential to do big things. They just have to play him everyday. He could be a bigger time player than most outfielders if the Cards would just give him more Playing time. he could of easily hit 40 homeruns if he got the chance.

Down Grade if they pick up Holliday for Skippy, Ludwich, and Boggs.

We Need to go After Peavy.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

http://s202.photobucket.com/user/dekno2/li...&start=0&page=1

NEED:
2007 Topps Sterling Jumbo Swatch Autos /10

SJS2 Carl Yastrzemski
SJS6 Reggie Jackson
SJS8 Hideki Matsui
SJS14 Chein-Ming Wang
SJS19 Manny Ramirez
SJS20 Mike Schmidt

MLB Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Nov 10 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #23

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Holliday talks are dead! Can't say I'm very surprised. It just didn't seem like something the organization would do. Now onto re-working that bullpen wink.gif

Holliday

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Nov 12 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #24

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Since I last checked in...

Holliday traded to A's

Thought he would have been a nice fit, but for a one-year rental Lud,Skip, and Boggs is alot to pony up. So the focus now switches to FA's it would seem. I don't expect the Cardinals to be too agressive up front this year. I believe they will sit back and try to pick up some bargains like the Lohse deal last spring. I think we can expect to see at least one trade this offseason, maybe 2. I just don't see how they can address everything without dealing. There should be plenty of rumors and issues to discuss starting tomorrow as FA's are officially allowed to negotiate with other teams. Stay tuned...

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Nov 14 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #25

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Let the FA season begin. I'm going to do a little prediction on what I think the birds will do. It will no doubt be horribly wrong and skewed by my unapologetic love for the team biggrin.gif but here we go anyway:

FA signings:

Orlandon Hudson 2B (4 years, 42 million)
Brian Fuentes LHRP/Closer (2 years, 24 million w/ 3rd year team option)
Arthur Rhodes LHRP (2 years, 15 million)
Felipe Lopez 2B/SS (2 years, 16 million w/3rd year team option)

Trades:

Ryan Ludwick LF, Allen Craig 3B, Mitchell Boggs SP to Atlanta for Yunel Escobar SS, PTBNL.

I suspect Fuentes will go for more, but a guy can dream... That won't be the actual trade obviously but I believe a deal with the main guts of Ludwick and Escobar could happen. Can't wait to watch what the team does (or doesn't do) this offseason!

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Nov 19 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #26

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Not a whole lot of buzz surrounding the Cards right now. It does appear that they have expressed interest in Will Ohman (LHRP) and Arthur Rhodes (LHRP). Would be nice to snag both of those guys and re-sign Russ Springer and call it a wrap on the bullpen. However, with the abundance of closers available this year, I believe there is an outside chance they could pick up a good reliever with some closing experience on the cheap.

This much I know: Take a look at the list of Type A free agents (Furcal, Fuentes, Hudson, etc... etc...) and throw those guys out the window. They will all be offered arbitration from their respective teams and once the players decline, the new team they sign with will have to send draft picks to their old team as compensation. The Cardinals will not be parting with that first round pick I would suspect.

With that being said, here is my new projection for the opening day lineup:

Skip Schumaker RF
Rick Ankiel CF
Albert Pujols 1B
Ryan Ludwick LF
Troy Glaus 3B
Edgar Renteria SS*
Yadier Molina C
Adam Wainwright P
Felipe Lopez 2B

* Renteria is a Type A free agent, however Detroit is unlikely to offer him arbitration because of the risk that he might accept. If Detroit wanted him back they'd have picked up the option.

**This projection is subject to change at any point biggrin.gif

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Nov 20 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #27

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Well it looks as though the Cardinals have signed veterean reliever Trever Miller to a 2-year contract.

Trever Miller

No specifics on the $ yet as the deal is still pending physical. Millers overall #'s weren't very impressive this past year with the Rays:

I.P: 43.1 W/L: 2-0 4.15 era

but his splits look like this:

vs. Left BAA: .209 K: 30
vs. Right BAA: .286 K: 14

So you can see why the Cards liked him, he will be primarily used against tough left-handed hitters. I will reserve judgement on the signing until I see the contract information set in stone, but I think it was a necessary signing.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Dec 2 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #28

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The arbitration deadline was 12:00 AM EST this morning. The Cardinals declined to offer arbitration to any of their free agents including Russ Springer (Type A) and Braden Looper (Type B ).

Arbitration Decisions

The decision to not offer Looper or Springer arbitration is shocking to me. Springer was the Cardinals top reliever last year and Looper has been fairly solid as a mid-bottom of the rotation SP. Cardinals GM John Mozeliak explained that the roster space opened by their departure was more valuable to the team than the possibility they accept arbitration or the compensatory draft picks they would have received should Springer/Looper sign elsewhere. Unless the Cardinals have a battleplan and specific targets for those 2 roster spots, I have to disagree. I believe it is strictly a $ issue. But in fairness to the Cardinals, they are not the only team doing this. Far more notable players that were not offered arbitration included Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreau, Pat Burrell, Kerry Wood, and Andy Pettitte. Seems like economy is certainly starting to effect the decisions of the MLB GM's sooner rather than later...

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
houkk
post Dec 2 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #29

MVP
Group Icon

Transactions: 1

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The Cardinals are another team looking to build their system for future growth. The move doesn't surprise me, especially considering the economy.

+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Dec 2 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #30

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(houkk @ Dec 2 2008, 12:03 PM)
The Cardinals are another team looking to build their system for future growth. The move doesn't surprise me, especially considering the economy.

Ever since the Haren trade they are clutching on to their prospects for dear life. They have become hoarders for the most part. They have done a nice job of re-stocking the farm system and have 4 or 5 legit prospects, but we must remember that this team is not the Athletics, Marlins, or Rays. This is a team that operates with a payroll north of $100 million but more importantly a ballclub that sells out consistently and enjoys a cross-country following. I am all for developing from within (Jocketty saw the farm system only as tradebait) but they are now visiting the other end of the spectrum and only trade when it is absolutely necessary (Rolen/Glaus, Anthony Reyes).

And economically we are not talking about a guy like Dunn or Burrell who, if they accept arb, could stand to make $15-17 million a year. In this economy it is understandable for a team to fear that scenario. With Looper and Springer, we are talking somewhere around $10 million combined for a solid SP and a frontline reliever. That is not a huge investment by any means. Once again, I will reserve judgement until they have made their moves but will remain puzzled until so.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
houkk
post Dec 2 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #31

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(MVPujols @ Dec 2 2008, 02:32 PM)
Ever since the Haren trade they are clutching on to their prospects for dear life. They have become hoarders for the most part. They have done a nice job of re-stocking the farm system and have 4 or 5 legit prospects, but we must remember that this team is not the Athletics, Marlins, or Rays. This is a team that operates with a payroll north of $100 million but more importantly a ballclub that sells out consistently and enjoys a cross-country following. I am all for developing from within (Jocketty saw the farm system only as tradebait) but they are now visiting the other end of the spectrum and only trade when it is absolutely necessary (Rolen/Glaus, Anthony Reyes).

And economically we are not talking about a guy like Dunn or Burrell who, if they accept arb, could stand to make $15-17 million a year. In this economy it is understandable for a team to fear that scenario. With Looper and Springer, we are talking somewhere around $10 million combined for a solid SP and a frontline reliever. That is not a huge investment by any means. Once again, I will reserve judgement until they have made their moves but will remain puzzled until so.

Hey, I understand the Astros are considering trading Valverde and Wigginton because they might get a couple of extra million in arbitration each. McLane wants to keep the payroll down to $100 M, so the Cardinals are not alone in making odd off season moves that are budget (allegedly) related.

+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Dec 2 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #32

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(houkk @ Dec 2 2008, 12:46 PM)
Hey, I understand the Astros are considering trading Valverde and Wigginton because they might get a couple of extra million in arbitration each. McLane wants to keep the payroll down to $100 M, so the Cardinals are not alone in making odd off season moves that are budget (allegedly) related.

Oh for sure, there are crazy things going on all over. There are numerous blog posts floating about that are trying to understand what is actually going on here as there were alot of shocking arbitration declines. One theory, that I particularly liked being I am a conspiracy theorist, was that there is collusion going on between the owners to drive FA prices back down. It makes sense that they can use the economy as a valid excuse. Sort of a take back the power type deal biggrin.gif However the Yankees and the Sabathia offer aren't helping that argument much wink.gif

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
houkk
post Dec 2 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #33

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(MVPujols @ Dec 2 2008, 02:55 PM)
Oh for sure, there are crazy things going on all over. There are numerous blog posts floating about that are trying to understand what is actually going on here as there were alot of shocking arbitration declines. One theory, that I particularly liked being I am a conspiracy theorist, was that there is collusion going on between the owners to drive FA prices back down. It makes sense that they can use the economy as a valid excuse. Sort of a take back the power type deal  biggrin.gif However the Yankees and the Sabathia offer aren't helping that argument much  wink.gif

While others have jumped on the free agent band wagon from time to time, the Yankees are the ones most guilty for using it as their personal team development system to fill their immediate needs and try to build championships. While free agency is certainly better than the one team for life system that used to be in place (any player who went through that will tell you that), it has created a lop sided free agent market. The ones who ultimately pay for that are the fans, with higher ticket costs, parking, new stadiums, ect. If you want to blame anyone or any team for that, point your finger toward George Steinbrenner (and I've always liked the guy) and the Yankee's and the way they've used the free agency market, for good or bad, since the beginning of free agency.

+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Dec 3 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #34

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Well, two weeks later and it is official... Trever Miller is a Cardinal. It is a one-year deal and financial information has not yet been released. Apparently the hold up in the signing was an issue with Miller's shoulder that was found during his physical. Must be an issue of minor concern, but original reports had this as a two-year deal so it is possible the injury concern cost him an extra year. Solid signing as long as they don't ask him to do much more than get a lefty out here and there. Winter meetings start Monday!! I should be posting here feverishly during...

Miller signs with Cardinals

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
houkk
post Dec 3 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #35

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Miller is a solid left handed relief pitcher and would be a good fit in St. Louis. He's pretty good against left handed hitters.

+Quote Post
stlbaseball15
post Dec 4 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #36

Popvlorvm Romae svm Tribvnvm.
Group Icon

First Name: Logan
Transactions: 35

eBay: stlbaseball77

View Gallery

Create Transaction

lots of khalil greene talk on the radio here

FIAT IVSTICA, RVAT CAELVM.
user posted image

CDXX

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
houkk
post Dec 4 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #37

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(stlbaseball15 @ Dec 4 2008, 06:48 PM)
lots of khalil greene talk on the radio here

I like that guy! He reminds me soooooooooooooooo much of Spiccolli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High!"

+Quote Post
MVPujols
post Dec 4 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #38

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Sorry guys. I kind of missed the boat on this one. I was away for orientation all day and what do you know the birds make a move wink.gif I'll have more tomorrow on this, I'm just far too tired.

Khalil Greene traded to the Cardinals

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
houkk
post Dec 4 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #39

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Greene had a tough time at the plate last season, but will hopefully rebound. He's a fine shortstop, and should be a good fit with the Cardinals. I do think he swung way too much for the fences, and apparently many people in baseball share that sentiment, as evidenced by that article you posted. That being said, he should still be an offensive improvement over what the Cardinals had last year at short.

+Quote Post
houkk
post Dec 4 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #40

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Accidental duplicate post.

+Quote Post

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 29th March 2024 - 04:20 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us