Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> TTM Autograph Collecting 101

gregorium
post Apr 5 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #1

He shoots...HE SCORES!!!!
Group Icon

Members Referred: 1
First Name: Greg
Transactions: 34
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: gregorium

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Have you wondered how to go about collecting autographs through the mail but don’t know where to start? Here’s a little tutorial to help you get started.

Many athletes can be contacted care of their teams or agents. Keep in mind that retired athletes often act as scouts, coaches, consultants, general managers and presidents for your favourite organizations. Home address lists are also available online, but please, don’t drop in for tea. A little research can also cut down on the amount of mail that you get back marked Return To Sender (RTS). While many athletes or celebrities will sign for free, others will require that a fee be paid or a donation be made for their signatures. Don’t be shy to ask your fellow TCC members to share their experiences regarding TTM requests for certain players or celebrities.

Your letter should be concise and courteous. Everyone is busy these days, so keep your letter short and legible. Feel free to let them know that you have enjoyed their work. Using specifics adds sincerity to the letter, but be sure that you are using the right information. For example, “Mr. Cruise, I loved you in Top Gun” will probably be more successful than “Mr. Cruise, I loved you in Young Guns”. Some people prefer to receive hand-written letters over those that are word-processed. It gives the impression of being more sincere. Ask politely for their autograph and be sure to thank them for their time.

You may be sending to a multi-millionaire, but don’t forget, you are asking them for a favour, so you should not expect them to cover the cost of sending you an autograph. Always send a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and ensure that you have both sufficient postage and postage from the country you anticipate a response from. For example, if you live in the USA and are sending to Canada, you should have Canadian postage on your SASE and US postage on the request. You can purchase postage online from the postal services. International Reply Coupons (IRC) can be sent instead of the required foreign return postage. They are available from your local post office and can be exchanged for the minimum postage for an unregistered priority airmail letter. If you are sending oversized mail, you may need to include more than one IRC. Better yet, how about trading with another TCC member who lives in another country for the foreign postage you require? They are likely in the same boat as you regarding postage from your country. Remember, there is no obligation on the part of the athlete or celebrity to fulfill your request. Therefore, the easier you make it for them, the better your chances are at a successful return.

Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that your item will be returned, so don’t send anything that you cannot stand to lose. That one of a kind item may look great if it’s signed, but there is a risk of loss or damage, so you may be better off to wait for a public or private signing opportunity.

Be patient. Many of your requests will be returned to you within a few weeks or months, but it is not unheard of for a request to be returned years after it was sent.

Beware! Not every request will be successful. Some items may be returned unsigned, while others will feature facsimile, secretarial, stamped or auto-penned autographs. The best way to ensure authenticity is to have the item signed in person, but there are services out there that will authenticate a signature for a fee.

Most important of all, and I can’t stress this enough, is be polite. Always use your Please and Thank You’s. A little respect goes a long way and will help you build that TTM collection. Plus, being polite will also make your mother proud!

NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
JasonS
post Jan 28 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #2

MVP
Group Icon

Transactions: 11
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: santasguns

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Just a little hint here; don't try and reuse stamps that have been on an old envelope. I just had someone send me a SASE and they used stamps that they peeled off an old letter and stuck them on the return envelope. They were all rumpled and even had the cancelation marks on them. The post office wont accept those.

MLB Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
gregorium   TTM Autograph Collecting 101   Apr 5 2007, 11:47 AM
gregorium   ...and may your RTS's be few and your mailboxe...   Apr 5 2007, 11:48 AM
dd316   Great writeup Greg, very helpful!!   Apr 5 2007, 12:01 PM
bufbillsstlcards   Thanks for posting this, I have been thinking abou...   Apr 5 2007, 12:02 PM
JasonS   TTM requests are a blast. It makes getting the mai...   Apr 5 2007, 03:10 PM
psupuz31   Nice Job, collecting TTM autographs is a very fun ...   Apr 5 2007, 03:51 PM
PackerBacker   I love collecting TTM because it's fun and an ...   Apr 18 2007, 10:36 AM
letsgopens2720   Thanks for writing this up, it was very helpful wh...   Apr 24 2007, 03:56 PM
gregorium   It depends what you are looking to have signed. I...   Apr 24 2007, 04:02 PM
gregorium   Welcome to TCC, BTW!!   Apr 24 2007, 04:02 PM
letsgopens2720   Do you always have to send something for them to s...   Apr 25 2007, 11:42 AM
psupuz31   Best Sports Photos.com is pretty good. But what I...   Apr 25 2007, 01:16 PM
gregorium   I've also toyed with making my own card. Find...   Apr 25 2007, 03:30 PM
urbanmonk   Just thought I would pass on something that I did ...   Jun 29 2007, 11:10 AM
whalerfan   Great one, thanks for the tip!   Jun 29 2007, 11:47 AM
urbanmonk   Oops forgot to say I used a box knife (why you put...   Jun 29 2007, 03:39 PM
gregorium   Innovative idea! It also let's you guide ...   Jul 4 2007, 01:32 AM
urbanmonk   I was just thinking of making it easier on them, ...   Jul 5 2007, 07:50 AM
letsgopens2720   Thanks for the tip with the toploader....I never w...   Jul 5 2007, 04:09 PM
urbanmonk   Ok found my signed toploader. It was even one of m...   Jul 6 2007, 10:26 AM
dmont52   These are great tips, I was considering getting in...   Aug 12 2007, 09:38 AM
psupuz31   TTM= Through The Mail. You just forgot the "t...   Aug 12 2007, 09:52 AM
dmont52   DOH... it's so obvious now. :lol: Anyways, ...   Aug 13 2007, 12:17 PM
gregorium   Good luck to you! You'll be hooked in ...   Aug 15 2007, 12:10 AM
JasonS   Here is a bit from Minnesota Twins pitcher Pat Nes...   Aug 15 2007, 06:34 PM
gregorium   Nice to see some honesty from him. Thanks for sha...   Aug 17 2007, 12:33 AM
mzhang13   Hey, just wondering, how should you send one out, ...   Aug 24 2007, 06:20 PM
JasonS   This is how I send them out. I use a #10 size env...   Aug 24 2007, 06:59 PM
mzhang13   Thanks   Aug 25 2007, 04:02 PM
zedsls   How do you send your donations/fees: cash, MO, or ...   Oct 28 2007, 05:07 PM
xanderthegreat35   thx it rly helped.   Jul 24 2008, 09:49 PM
Knudson   Question: When using IRCs, how many should be incl...   Sep 24 2008, 06:32 PM

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 26th April 2024 - 11:37 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us