Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Foregone Conclusions
My shambles in rambles
Filter by Category:

| Category: The Hobby
entry Jun 8 2008, 09:19 AM
cool
awesome
awsom
kewl
kool
nice
woah
neat
sweet

It seems everyone these days is monosyllabic. And that's sad. I'm seeing it all over TCC and it breaks my heart, really. It's as if people don't even look at the topic's first post, let alone the entire thread. In a way, it's kind of annoying, and when I see people who know better being so tight-lipped, I get irritated, because they're better than that.

The point of a forum like TCC's is to discuss things, to have conversations. It seems that only happens when dealing with politics or bad eBay sellers. And I'm sad is because we're all in this together, so let's support each other with a bit more attention and time. I wish I had more time than I do to prowl the TCC forums, to reply to every single thread and to even reply to PMs. I wouldn't feel so bad if I knew people were using their vocabulary more.

Maybe it's to raise post counts, I don't know. But take a minute to enjoy someone's thread, read through responses and discuss! TCC is here for us to discuss the hobby, share experiences and be a tight-nit community. Let's focus on being a bit more vocal, shall we?

entry Apr 3 2007, 09:53 AM
I finally had time to talk more with the "friend" mentioned in the previous blog entry. The talk didn't go as well as I wanted it to. In fact, it kind of sickened me.

I explained to him he should put himself in my shoes, to which he replied he didn't care and wouldn't apologize (using less than kind words). I told him to just enjoy the hobby and that I'd see him around. He replied by antagonizing me even further but to no avail. He just doesn't get the point.

my card, my lfe, deal with it

That's what he said to pretty much end the conversation.

--

I'm not disclosing who he is because that's not the point. The point is: people, please remember what the hobby is about and what keeps it going. It's not the high-dollar card, it's not the low-numbered parallel and it's not how much money you spend on your collection — it's generosity without question that makes card collecting one of the best hobbies.

entry Mar 30 2007, 04:09 PM
A while back I helped a "friend" buy a "white whale," a "permanent PC item," a "dream card." He didn't have enough money so I covered what he didn't have and didn't ask for a cent back.

Today I learned that "friend" traded it. How did I find out? He linked me to the transaction and left the following smilie — biggrin.gif

It hit me like a closed fist. It's not because I spent money I didn't really have on him, but because he thanked me up and down, and swore he appreciated it and would never let go of it.

What are friends for, huh? sad.gif

entry Feb 8 2007, 07:11 PM
Know what I'm tired of? This —

Topic creator: "Thanks for watching my break! I'm pleased with the results!"

Other poster: "LMK what you want for the (card)"

And that's it. Why not comment on the break? Why not send a PM? Why not show some courtesy*?

*A term used quite a bit lately

And I'll begin keeping record of whichever I find:

LMK if you pull any xxx

Yeah, give me an xxx, please!

yyy, how can I get that xxx from you, that you pulled the last Triple Threads break?

entry Feb 3 2007, 10:56 PM
What I'm about to bring up goes hand-in-hand with my thread.

Briefing: Upper Deck released the much-anticipated 06/07 Fleer basketball last week. Upper Deck promised one 86/87 Fleer rookie card buyback per box, but instead people are pulling 88/89 Fleer cards. To make matters worse, the certificate of authenticity Upper Deck is issuing with the buybacks don't have serial numbers, holograms, anything; making the certificates easy to duplicate. Here is a picture of the certificate of authenticity:

user posted image

Now comes the fun part...

One seller on eBay (gangsofnewyork_heavyhitter) has magically pulled and sold two 86/87 Fleer Michael Jordan RC buybacks (view the first auction, view the second auction).

First: what are the odds the same person pulled two Jordan buybacks from the same case, when everyone else has been pulling 88/89 Fleers?

Second: what if this seller had a couple of fake MJ rookie cards lying around? Also, what if he just took a certificate of authenticity from a buyback he really pulled, and paired it with the Jordans?

What has Upper Deck gotten themselves into? What is this, or what can it possibly do, to the hobby?

entry Feb 3 2007, 10:54 PM
The long-awaited 06/07 Fleer basketball product has hit the streets. The reason it was so long-awaited was Upper Deck promised 86/87 Fleer rookie card buybacks, with the chance to grab some Michael Jordan autograph rookie cards.

Yeah, sell sheets are subject to change, and we all know Upper Deck doesn't print odds anymore on packs or boxes. But does that mean the consumer can be lied to?

Below is a buyback from a box of 06/07 Fleer:
user posted image

Doesn't look like an 86/87 Fleer to me. In fact, it's an 88/89 Fleer.

All buybacks come with a separate card to indicate their authenticity. That card is pictured on the left. Notice no authentication number, no hologram and really no indication of any authenticity. In fact, it looks like it was printed on a home printer.

And what Upper Deck product isn't complete without redemptions? Check out the redemption someone pulled from a box of 06/07 Fleer:
user posted image

Yes, you're reading it correctly: the redemption is for a random player.

entry Aug 5 2006, 04:12 AM
I'll be straight with you: I found TCC while Googling for free online price guides. Naturally, my first couple of posts were price checks, but once I stumbled around the site I realized, 'hey, there's more to this place than people with price guides.' And that's when it began. Now I'm 3,500+ posts into my career here and can't say anything but good things about the joint.

Now, I have tried other sites and am a member of other sites, as most of us are. But I've noticed something: I frequent the other sites for their marketplaces. In contrast, I frequent TCC because it's a second home. Though I've seemed to suck TCC dry of Gary Payton cards, I still keep coming back for more! And why? Because of the people.

First and foremost, you've got Bob. He interacts greatly with the members and manages the site to make it fit for everyone who visits. Second you've got the TCC Team. No joke, they're probably one of the best group of old men I've ever encountered (c'mon, laugh!) They care about TCC's users and always are excited for the latest pack pulls, steals and Show and Tell entries. Last, but certainly not least, you've got the TCC members themselves. Of course a Web site is nothing without visitors, and in this case members; but I think TCC has outdone itself with the kinds of options, activities and spunk it offers hobby enthusiasts young and old, and that's why it's become one of the most popular hobby-based Web sites out there.

There's a great governmental system at work here: our leaders look to the masses for direction and act upon it if they feel it is best for the greater good. What more can one person ask for?

One thing is for certain, and that's TCC will always be my stomping grounds. It's a web-based home away from home and I don't think I could ever ask for more.

SMTWTFS

Lo-Fi Version Time: 23rd April 2024 - 06:17 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us