Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Nhl players to vote on giving board, authority to dissolve union

Zimbow
post Dec 16 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #1

I need a vacation
Group Icon

First Name: Bob
Transactions: 216
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: centralfalc1616

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

The Canadian Press
12/15/2012 2:19:27 Pm

TORONTO -- NHL players will begin voting Sunday on whether they'll grant their executive board the authority to dissolve the NHL Players' Association.

Two-thirds of the union's membership must vote in favour before the board can file a "disclaimer of interest," according to a source. Disbanding the NHLPA would give players the chance to challenge the legality of the lockout in court and file anti-trust lawsuits against the league.

The voting will be conducted electronically over a five-day period that ends Thursday. Should the 30-member executive board be given the ability to file a disclaimer, it would have until Jan. 2 to do so.

The vote is a sign that the NHLPA will continue moving towards dissolving itself -- something unions representing NFL and NBA players did in labour disputes last year -- even after the NHL started mounting a pre-emptive legal challenge against it.

On Friday, the league filed a class-action complaint which asked a federal court in New York to make a declaration on the legality of the lockout. In the 43-page complaint, the NHL argued that the NHLPA was only using the "disclaimer of interest" as a bargaining tactic designed to "extract more favourable terms and conditions of employment."

"The union has threatened to pursue this course not because it is defunct or otherwise incapable of representing NHL players for purposes of collective bargaining, nor because NHL players are dissatisfied with the representation they have been provided by the NHLPA," read the NHL complaint.

"The NHLPA's threatened decertification or disclaimer is nothing more than an impermissable negotiating tactic, which the union incorrectly believes would enable it to commence an antitrust challenge to the NHL's lockout."

The NHL also filed an unfair labour practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board.

The union was quick to respond with a statement on Friday night that suggested the league was overstepping its bounds. At that point, it had yet to even be served with the lawsuit.

"The NHL appears to be arguing that players should be stopped from even considering their right to decide whether or not to be represented by a union," it read. "We believe that their position is completely without merit."

By filing the class-action complaint in New York, the NHL guaranteed that the legality of the lockout would be decided in a court known to be sympathetic towards management. If the NHLPA files for a "disclaimer of interest" it will seek to have the work stoppage deemed illegal -- something that could see players paid triple their lost salary in damages if successful.

Despite the focus of the lockout shifting from the board room to the courtroom, there is nothing preventing the sides from continuing to try and negotiate with one another. They met separately over two days with a U.S. federal mediator this week in New Jersey but failed to make any progress.

Just eight years after becoming the first North American sports league to lose an entire season to a labour dispute, the NHL appears to be in danger of seeing another one go by the wayside.

Players have already missed five paycheques during a lockout that enters its 14th week on Sunday. More than 500 regular-season games through Dec. 30 have been wiped off the 2012-13 schedule.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411715

Bob.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Dec 16 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

its only so they can sue.

Now the only ones getting rich are the attorneys

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Dec 17 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #3

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Dec 16 2012, 09:12 AM)
its only so they can sue.

Now the only ones getting rich are the attorneys

Well, if they are too dumb to realize this, then let them have at it! I love hockey, but I think I am turning my interest to the amature leagues and college teams. To heck with millionaires who let their greed decimate the sport we love. I hope they get a 40-50 year agreement done, cause I am sick of this every 7 years having an off season!

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
redwing40
post Dec 17 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #4

HOF
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 248

Awards:
Member of the Month Jan 15

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Man, I try not to think about it, started a season on my NHL 08-09 Hockey for the playstaion3, I have Crosby, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Chara, and Kronwall for my first line with Howard in goal, no salary caps, and I can trade for whom ever I want, Crosby makes 2 Million for the Wings laugh.gif Sorry Brian!

So yeah, Im getting sick of this too mad.gif

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 29th March 2024 - 01:04 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us