Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Effect of Archival Materials on Baseball Card, Values

msw_sportscards
post Jun 18 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Collect Hard!!! RIP RGBII
Group Icon

First Name: Marc
Transactions: 84
(View: Pending | Failed)

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Before I packed my cards away while we move, I was working on completing a 1951 Topps Red Backs set. My question is this: When I complete the set, I plan on mounting it in a custom-made frame with glass on both sides so you can see the fronts and backs of the cards. How does archiving materials effect baseball card values? Michaels uses the same adhesives and preservation materials that are used in museums. It will guarantee that no further discoloration will occur. Just curious whether it diminishes the value of the cards. I'm going to do it anyway because I want that piece in my man cave.

User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jun 18 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

i liked framed pieces I do not think its hurt value at all!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 18 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #3

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I am not sure I am following, are you just sticking them in between two pieces of glass or are you glueing them in place? If you are glueing them in any form, I would say it would diminish value. The other issue you may have is discoloration from sun bleaching, so not sure if you are using the special glass or regular glass for your frame. All of this could affect the future value of your cards.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
msw_sportscards
post Jun 18 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Jun 18 2016, 07:49 PM)
I am not sure I am following, are you just sticking them in between two pieces of glass or are you glueing them in place?  If you are glueing them in any form, I would say it would diminish value.  The other issue you may have is discoloration from sun bleaching, so not sure if you are using the special glass or regular glass for your frame.  All of this could affect the future value of your cards.

They'll be using an archival preservative which will prevent discoloration and fading and basically slows down the aging process of the items. The adhesive used for mounting them is also archival quality adhesive used in museums for mounting smaller items in larger frames. It's not like I'll be busting out the Elmer's or Krazy Glue. It won't affect the overall appearance of the cards. It will look like the cards are being held in place by the glass.

+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 19 2016, 05:51 AM
Post #5

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(msw_sportscards @ Jun 18 2016, 08:53 PM)
They'll be using an archival preservative which will prevent discoloration and fading and basically slows down the aging process of the items. The adhesive used for mounting them is also archival quality adhesive used in museums for mounting smaller items in larger frames. It's not like I'll be busting out the Elmer's or Krazy Glue. It won't affect the overall appearance of the cards. It will look like the cards are being held in place by the glass.

I get it now. So it sounds like they spray the cards with like a clear coat of protective "paint" per say and then glue them. I guess it would depend on the collector? If the cards cannot be taken out and replaced or graded, then someone who would want it for that purpose would probably undervalue them. However if someone finds what you have done appealing, then they probably would be in line with the value. Who knows about the value 20-30 years from now anyway, as I don't think 1/16th of today's generation know who some of the great players were. I am not even sure this hobby will exist as kids today focus more on their ipods, xbox, playstation, then they do with anything real.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jun 19 2016, 07:54 AM
Post #6

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

hmmm..

i misunderstood and shouldve been more inquisitive.

it would absolutely destroy the value in my opinion.
I would never buy something like that.

I think putting them in screw downs and putting them in one of Krusins custome made frames is all I would do.

Who needs to see the backs on those anyway! they are just red and say topps

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 19 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #7

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jun 19 2016, 07:54 AM)

I would disagree with this, wasn't that the lure of collecting back in the day to see what the players stats were. You had to know those stats like you knew how to add when talking with your friends in class and backing up that this player or that player is better.

Not sure what is on the back of those, but I think as collectors today we have lost touch with the lure of the entire card. We know just see our favorite player or team and pick up the card never looking to see what their stats are, or just once then file it away.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jun 19 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #8

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Jun 19 2016, 08:04 AM)
I would disagree with this, wasn't that the lure of collecting back in the day to see what the players stats were.  You had to know those stats like you knew how to add when talking with your friends in class and backing up that this player or that player is better. 

Not sure what is on the back of those, but I think as collectors today we have lost touch with the lure of the entire card.  We know just see our favorite player or team and pick up the card never looking to see what their stats are, or just once then file it away.

they are just red or blue thats why they are known as red backs and blue backs!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
msw_sportscards
post Jun 19 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jun 19 2016, 07:54 AM)
hmmm..

i misunderstood and shouldve been more inquisitive.

it would absolutely destroy the value in my opinion.
I would never buy something like that.

I think putting them in screw downs and putting them in one of Krusins custome made frames is all I would do.

That's what I'm afraid of....absolutely destroying the value. What I don't understand is why it would devalue the cards, but the same materials don't affect the value of museum pieces. My guess is there are multiple copies of the baseball cards whereas museum pieces that receive the same treatment are one-of-a-kind items? Perhaps I could put them in screw-downs, create labels to go at the top to hide the screw, and then mount them in a frame?

+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jun 20 2016, 05:19 AM
Post #10

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(msw_sportscards @ Jun 19 2016, 10:17 PM)
That's what I'm afraid of....absolutely destroying the value. What I don't understand is why it would devalue the cards, but the same materials don't affect the value of museum pieces. My guess is there are multiple copies of the baseball cards whereas museum pieces that receive the same treatment are one-of-a-kind items? Perhaps I could put them in screw-downs, create labels to go at the top to hide the screw, and then mount them in a frame?

Part of why it would affect the value is that you are altering the card by putting the preservative on it. Once that is done they become altered, even if for the better, and it probably cannot be undone. The other thing is once you glue them in the frame they no longer are individual cards and are a set and I am not sure that can be undone either without possibly damaging the cards. It is much easier sometimes to sell a single card than an entire set. I think it is the nature of what the object is, everyone who collects sportscards remembers handling them, touching them, etc. whereas a piece of art is rarely if ever handled.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 19th April 2024 - 02:59 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us