Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

21 Pages « < 19 20 21 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> What do you NOT like about this hobby?

VillanuevaCollector
post Mar 9 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #401

#1 Pacers fan
Group Icon

First Name: Christian
Transactions: 88
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: villanuevafan

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

it can be quite costly if you're the one buying! lol

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
snowblink
post Mar 28 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #402

MVP
Group Icon

Members Referred: 7
Transactions: 24

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Kinda soured on the 100 views of a tradelist but not a single offer on anything. 10 years ago I figured on 1 PM for each 10 views.

+Quote Post
USNbiggestcollector
post Feb 6 2011, 01:46 AM
Post #403

UODucksbestcollector
Group Icon

eBay: 03supto

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

people complaining about ebay 1/1s...who cares!?!

REDEMPTIONS, and REDEMPTIONS NOT BEING FILLED!!!

out of all the money your making of us collectors i'm sure you can afford to send a rep and an intern on a flight to the person and have him sign the card...it's not that hard...seriously!!

We are a family friendly site, profanity and implied profanity is not allowed.

Michael

This post has been edited by Tarasadie17: Feb 6 2011, 04:13 AM

BIGGEST OREGON DUCKS ALUMNI COLLECTOR

o3supto@yahoo.com
uptonsa@lhd4.navy.mil

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
Cool_Hand_Flash
post Feb 6 2011, 07:25 AM
Post #404

I might, MIGHT be crazy..
Group Icon

First Name: Mark
Transactions: 172

Awards:
August 2010 Member of the Month

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Hmmm, what don't I like....

Two things really, redemptions not being validated and something lesser, or nothing at all coming in return.

And the worst thing in all of card collecting..... Greed. Simple as that.

Main Focus: Alex Brink, ANDREW LUCK, Peyton Manning, Thomas Robinson and Ultimate Collection.

Also Collecting: Beanie Wells, Bo Jackson, John Tavares, Karl-Anthony Towns, Kyle Turley, LeBron James, Ryan Nassib, Vitor Belfort, Star Trek, Wrestling and other stuff..

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
19th Century Indiana Jones
post Feb 6 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #405

Beta Version
Group Icon

Members Referred: 4
Transactions: 309

Awards:
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Profile/Signature

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The fine print on the back of this year's Topps Supreme jersey/patch cards.

Pre-war cards(baseball, horse racing)

Collect for pleasure and you will always find happiness.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
MaddenRq53
post Feb 6 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #406

Derek 3000 Jeter
Group Icon

First Name: Ian
Transactions: 9

eBay: CygnusTM

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The cost. The fact that my cards sit in a drawer and are worth/I bought them for so much. You can't do much with them but look at them.

My YouTube ¤ 2012 Sugar Bowl Champions - GO BLUE! ¤ My Bucket
user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
sschind
post Mar 3 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #407

All-Star
Group Icon

Transactions: 7

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(MaddenRq53 @ Feb 6 2011, 12:19 PM)
You can't do much with them but look at them.

What? you want to take them out on a date smile.gif Funny thing is that's pretty much what the hobby started out as. Collecting them and looking at them. No one cared about secondary market and resale back then. Back in the good old days smile.gif

Steve Schindler

"this bloke won't haggle"

When people say "... has ruined the hobby" what they really mean is that "... has ruined the hobby for me"

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
19th Century Indiana Jones
post Mar 3 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #408

Beta Version
Group Icon

Members Referred: 4
Transactions: 309

Awards:
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Profile/Signature

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(MaddenRq53 @ Feb 6 2011, 12:19 PM)
The cost. The fact that my cards sit in a drawer and are worth/I bought them for so much. You can't do much with them but look at them.

And such is the cycle of the hobby. They buy hot because everybody wants them. And when they become yesterday's news, they cannot even be given away. The point that is missed/forgotten is that it is not the worth - it is the ownership and sometimes the rarity that goes along with it. It is ownership of the item that gives a collector his 'high', not what it's worth to others but what it's worth to him.

"I had to have it" without thought of resale value is becoming a forgotten art.

Pre-war cards(baseball, horse racing)

Collect for pleasure and you will always find happiness.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
B-Millz23
post Oct 3 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #409

B-Millz23
Group Icon

First Name: Brandon
Transactions: 29

eBay: b-millz

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Having these thousands of cards from the 80s and 90s that aren't worth much and no one else wants lol.

Any particular player or team you are looking for just let me know. I have a lot of inserts, parallels and rookies that aren't in my bucket due to space issues.
My PC

I collect Allen Iverson and anything New York Yankees. I also like to collect Tiger Woods, Bo Jackson, Frank Thomas, Derrick Thomas, Patrick Willis and Dan Fouts.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
Cool_Hand_Flash
post Oct 3 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #410

I might, MIGHT be crazy..
Group Icon

First Name: Mark
Transactions: 172

Awards:
August 2010 Member of the Month

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(sschind @ Mar 3 2011, 05:52 PM)
What? you want to take them out on a date smile.gif  Funny thing is that's pretty much what the hobby started out as.  Collecting them and looking at them.  No one cared about secondary market and resale back then.  Back in the good old days  smile.gif

Thats what this hobby has always been to me. And still is. I hate trading, I buy to keep or give away. What I get in group breaks I keep, or give away.. I'm horrible at trading laugh.gif

I love going through my cards, comparing autos of the same player, looking at surfaces, edges and so on.. yeah.. I'm a nerd tongue.gif

Main Focus: Alex Brink, ANDREW LUCK, Peyton Manning, Thomas Robinson and Ultimate Collection.

Also Collecting: Beanie Wells, Bo Jackson, John Tavares, Karl-Anthony Towns, Kyle Turley, LeBron James, Ryan Nassib, Vitor Belfort, Star Trek, Wrestling and other stuff..

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
redwing40
post Oct 4 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #411

HOF
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 248

Awards:
Member of the Month Jan 15

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Stupid card products, like cards in a can 98 Donross baseball, Or UD putting Victory cards in my Upperdeck packs, Or Champs Hockey, why would I want fossils and a tiger woods golf, lol! And the UD 20TH ,its like a reminder of the 90's cards that are now worthless haha

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
mikejohnj
post Oct 5 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #412

MVP
Group Icon

Transactions: 107

View Gallery

Create Transaction

#1 Redemtion cards. Why bother? Sometimes takes over a year to get the card and usually the players are not even in the league anymore. Whacked replacements for no signers.

#2 Insert cards in the middle of packs with factory damage while the others are mint. Sometimes the whole box is this way.

#3 Traders that pawn off these cards without the other party knowing first and this excuse, came out of the pack that way so I thought it was mint.

#4 Cards that have nothing to do with the sport. Perfect example: 2008 Upperdeck Heroes. 15 Tom Morello's (Guitarist) in 4 boxes. Ridiculous.

#5 Way too many reprint cards from older sets. Not reprinted cards from the 50's and 60's but reprinted cards from the 80's and 90's. Confusing to most collectors trying to get originals.

+Quote Post
sschind
post Oct 6 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #413

All-Star
Group Icon

Transactions: 7

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(mikejohnj @ Oct 5 2011, 04:07 PM)

#4 Cards that have nothing to do with the sport. Perfect example: 2008 Upperdeck Heroes. 15 Tom Morello's (Guitarist) in 4 boxes. Ridiculous.

You'll be singing a different tune when Morello hits 3 home runs in game seven of the world series.

Seriously though, that's a good point, and when one of those cards that doesn't have anything to do with the sport is considered one of the hits I'd imagine it is even more frustrating. Although I'd probably rather have a 1/1 presidents hair card than a 1/1 auto from some schlub no longer in the game.

Steve Schindler

"this bloke won't haggle"

When people say "... has ruined the hobby" what they really mean is that "... has ruined the hobby for me"

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
wvball
post Dec 30 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #414

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: A
Transactions: 148

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Things I do NOT like about this Hobby
1) Expensive All brands, All levels for the end result of what you are getting. All the rookie cards are over produced to a certain degree due to the proliferation of this new product of that.

2) lack of Card companies concern for the collector. Over production, redemtion cards, sticker autos. I mean really out of 2 boxes of 2011 Bowman Sterling I pulled 7 Delone carter autographs. Not acceptable. So what are they doing (stock piling the good players in the warehouses--is my bet). Damaged cards, missing hits.

3) Leagleeze one the back of all the cards. For the autos not so bad. The card was signed and vounched for the signature being authntic by the player or signed in presence of company representative. But the game used card has not become
game used but not related to any particular season or event
game used (used in an official NBA, NFL, MLB, USA Baseball game etc) so who used it? the bat boy?
MAN UP! start certifing things as used in an officiam game by X player duriing x season. Then we would really know what we have.
Event worn.

4) I can get it cheaper on Ebay--then go to ebay and buy it. I will sell by book value only. You want it fine pay me the fair value for it or otherwise take a walk. I am not here to bust product to give you a discount. I am selling what I do not want to collectors who do want it. perior. If I trade for it the I trade by book value.

5) Waiting FOREVER for peopels pics to load on photobucket. People please learn this that the higer resolution you set your scanner to scan the card to does not equal a better image on a computer screen. The image quality will only be as good as the capabilityes of the computer screen. So you are wasting alot of memory and thus things take a long time to load due to the extra information in the image that will never benefit anyone. Scan at a medium to low resolution--might mean more trades later. or at least have a trade list so I can scan it ans see if I even want to look in the PB to see the actual card.

6) Eventually someone has to pull the plug on a deal and I will be the fist to say that I do not have a ton of time and if there is not anything there that I need I will quickly move on rather than settle for something I don't really want. Yes I could twiddle about and find something but more than likely the other guy is the only one pleased as I just have to pay again to send something else through the mail to try and get what I really do want.

7) I liked topps way of trading virtually and then after you got what you wanted it could be shipped to you on that million card giveaway. Dude I would probably pay for a service like that. Connecting collectors world wide on a central database with all cards in a central 3rd party location to be shipped latter to you after your trades at your request. sounds a lot easier.

8) Card companies providing "juiced boxes" to beckett for breaking to garner more collector interest. when in reality your box hits are going to #####.

man--that was theraputic but also enlightneing. I think after I can sell off all the cards I do not want--I am out of this hobby. On to collecting authentic game used jerseys and memoried and meorabilia from just going to the good ol baseball games myself.

+Quote Post

21 Pages « < 19 20 21
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 24th April 2024 - 04:14 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us