Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

2 Pages  1 2 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Once again, I find myself at an impasse, Collection ideas

ffman
post Mar 6 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Cody
Transactions: 147
(View: Pending | Failed)

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Ah, the great ffman. The one who is ever indecisive and can't make up his mind.

Throughout my collecting career I have often struggled with what collections to keep up. My constants have been Titans, Sosa, and my 500 HR Club collection. As for Sosa, I have no basis for organizing my base (too lazy to pull each card out of binders, make a complete list, and organize them. I have a game-used card for each 500 HR Club member, and my Titans collection grows in spurts. I also have David Wright, but not an urge to go after his base, inserts, or many GU.

In the past I have attempted to find another collection or two, but not with much success. I considered Rickie Weeks and Matt Garza, but the full interest isn't there (ie, not enough to give up most of my tradebait). So, I am currently considering these two:

1. Steve McNair and Eddie George

This would include going through my binders and organizing/listing what I have, which would not be a huge task since I probably have between 50-60 (at most) of each player. The 90s were home to some nice inserts, so this could be a fun project. My focus would be inserts, rookies, some game-used, and the occasional autograph.

2. Vince Young

This would mainly consist of tracking down 2006 cards I don't have, along with patches.

I know both of the above go with my already-present Titans collection, but would give it more focus. However, I'm afraid I will get lost in a mess of base and inserts, much like I currently am with Sosa.

Thoughts?

Collector Zone Team
user posted image
RIP Daze_fan l RIP Steve McNair l RIP Chris Henry l RIP tazmocan
Collecting: Mickey Mantle, Tennessee Titans, 2006 Vince Young

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RGBII
post Mar 6 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #2

Safe when Well Medicated
Group Icon

First Name: Richard
Transactions: 335

eBay: stevescollectibles9432

OpenChecklist:
RGBII

Awards:
2010 MVP Member 2010 Best Set/Vintage Collection 2009 MVP CZT Member 2009 Best Set/Vintage Collection 2008 Most Generous 2008 Thread of the Year 2008 Favorite Set Collection

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Honestly, Cody, I suggest that
you find a nice vintage set that
you like and chase it.

It's something that will take a good
deal of time and believe me, will
teach you more about collecting than
you've learned from the modern stuff.

Just a thought, but I know that you
would enjoy the chase.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

Bucket #1 * Bucket #2
user posted image
Proud member of
user posted image

User is offlinePMProfile Card
+Quote Post
Johnny Number 5
post Mar 6 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Topps Chrome 2010 baseball, seems inexpensive and easy
j

+Quote Post
Luke2411
post Mar 6 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #4

Bazinga!
Group Icon

First Name: Jeremy
Transactions: 476

eBay: Luke2411

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I agree with Richard. For the exact reasons he mentions.

My Photobucket Collection

My Youtube Box Breaks

user posted image

Collecting Texas Ranger Cards and Memorabilia!!!

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
marcus42
post Mar 6 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #5

Don't Ever Give Up!
Group Icon

First Name: Mark
Transactions: 209

Awards:
Trader of the Month - Mar. '07, Pack PULL of the Month - June 08

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Cody, I'm going to attempt and relate to you here. Let me know if I'm wrong wink.gif

I think as younger collectors (in the 20's age range) we are so saturated with so many options in the collecting market. Kind of like a huge buffet dinner (not all you can eat, cheap). We are so hungry, but have a limited income, so we can't go after the high end prime rib (exquisites, national treasures, expensive vintage). We can load up on the mashed potatoes, ground beef, veggies (lower end sets, mild player collecting, and so on). At the end of the day when we didn't have to pay for the meal we could often times get what we wanted and not have to worry (parents or grandparents supplying our hobby and meals).

We still want that childhood fun of collecting, but sometimes with the hectic schedules its hard to find that right mix of a great collection and something we can handle. I have honed my focus down to this:
-Press Pass Ohio State inscription autographs (have to have the full signature with nickname or inscription).
-Old time Browns signatures or memorabilia cards (on card signatures or cuts with photo, and vintage memorabilia).
-Anything Colt McCoy (base and inserts either pack pull or cheap lot purchases, or freebies tongue.gif) and then I will get the on card signatures.
-Browns team sets: This is where I will get themed sets example being chasing the 2010 contenders Browns Autographs. Consistency is what I really like. I also want to get the 2010 SP authentic TJ Ward and Joe Haden manu patch autos. I like they look of those.

I hope that helps Cody. Sorry to get sidetracked with my collection focuses, hope they give you some ideas.

I collect:
-Colt McCoy inserts/rookies/certain autographs
-A mix of other stuff

user posted image

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
chopinalex
post Mar 6 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #6

HOF
Group Icon

Transactions: 83

eBay: chopinalex

SportsBuy: 102933

View Gallery

Create Transaction

collector college or former pros that later became accountants..

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Mar 6 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #7

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Pick a segment of players in a sport

3000 hits, 300 wins, heismann winners, 10,000 yard rushers

collect autos or gu!

Build something that will have value down the road!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
Johnny Number 5
post Mar 6 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Collect 1993 topps base cards
j5

+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Mar 6 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #9

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Dwight
Transactions: 907

eBay: urbanmonk

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I think it comes down to finding something you want to collect, as ideas from others will most likely fizz out faster than collecting what you want to collect. Lmk if you go the McNair and George route as probably have some more of those around here that I hadn't sent your way already....well maybe anyway wink.gif won't know until I dig laugh.gif

TCC's Cousin Itt

Looking for former Oregon State players in NFL, Steven Jackson top priority:

PC Want list for Modano, Have list for my FB PC and Trade lists for FB and HK

Mike Modano count 1,268 different cards out of 4,439 listed on Beckett

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
19th Century Indiana Jones
post Mar 6 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #10

Beta Version
Group Icon

Members Referred: 4
Transactions: 309

Awards:
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Profile/Signature

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Or start a RC collection of centers who started for each of the winning Super Bowl team. I mean, they DID touch the ball first, right?

Pre-war cards(baseball, horse racing)

Collect for pleasure and you will always find happiness.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
dielonthug
post Mar 6 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #11

Its pronouced Die-lon-thug
Group Icon

First Name: Dylan
Transactions: 69

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Johnny Number 5 @ Mar 6 2011, 07:58 PM)
Collect 1993 topps base cards
j5

sick idea. smile.gif

Im hooked on collecting different inexpensive insert sets. Set collecting is where its at. Player collecting is very hard to do

"Card collecting is primarily an inherited love of pictures." - Jefferson Burdick

DIELON'S BUCKET

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
edgerrin32
post Mar 7 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #12

TCC's mr. talk a lot! :)>
Group Icon

First Name: Jason
Transactions: 37

Awards:
November 2010 Member of the Month

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Like Monk said. It has to be someone you really like. Because you can grow out of something if you don't really care for it. I see people on here all the time, looking for this or that. Then a couple months later they are dunping it all, and now looking for this or that. Over and over again. But try to pick a player or team you really like, but that also there stuff is within reason! That way you can pick up nice stuff as well. If you pick Jordan, well you might as well stick to base and the other cheap stuff and a few GU here and there. It doesn't have to be a bum, just someone who is maybe over looked (IMO Edgerrin) or maybe got hurt and there stuff dropped way down Terrel Davis. I also started collecting Javarris James. Hes Edge's cousin, plays for the Colts, and played pretty good for the amount of time he got to play last season! He was a RC, and didn't have a ton of stuff out. He was undrafted, so he didn't have stuff in all the big brands. His only pro set he was in was Sweet Spot, the rest was Press Pass and Sage. And he had a redemption for a Topps rookie of the week thing (I have like 42-43 of them on the way). laugh.gif But he might turn out to be one of those 2nd year rcs. They played good there first year, but not a lot. Then there second year they get a ton more playing time and explode, so card company's start making a bunch more cards of them. Where they didn't there rookie season. I also started collecting the Topps TX and Topps TIX superbowl ticket stub sets. Most of the cards in them are reasonable priced. $5-$6 a card or less for most. They are really cool, no other sets have done the Super Bowl ticket stub idea that I know of. And there are also some autos. And some bigger names as well, that I will have to work on getting at some point. Brady, Manning and some other big ones. Its a lot of great players, so im not just focused on one player or team. It is a goal I can complete (finish the sets), where with player collecting it never really stops. More cards come out of the player, or the odds of finding every card for that person (unless they have like 10 cards and no 1/1's). But it was a few sets I really like and thought were really cool. So im collecting something I like and not just collecting something to collect! And its giving me a chance at changing up my collecting a little on the side, something I wouldn't collect other wise. I cant stand Brady, but if he is in this collection (guess I make due). And its a side project, so I don't hardcore chase it. Few here few there. Maybe when it gets down to the last few I might hit it hard but those will be the big cards there anyway. And not collecting them hardcore also gives me a chance to get them for great prices! So go after something you like, but also reasonable, something you might be able to complete (so you can move on to a new project), and holds value (might only be to you, but thats OK). Hope my forever story helps! laugh.gif tongue.gif cool.gif

There is also another side project I have completed (well need 2 letters for my name). But I did my 3 sons and my full name in Letter-autos. Using the lettermen type cards! This one can get pricey. But I only used cheap ones. Plus it gave me a chance to collect other sports, where I only collect football! wink.gif

Always looking for Edgerrin James and Javarris James cards I need!

**MY WANTS**
-2007 topps tx superbowl ticket stub auto versions only. Base set of stubs is done!
-2001-2006 topps tix super tix superbowl ticket stub cards and auto version.
-Colts Super Bowl tickets from any Super Bowl they played in. Prefer full tickets but would be open to stubs as well. Only tickets from the Manning ERA!
-A Super Bowl ticket or stub from the AZ Cardinals and Steelers.
-Any full ticket or stub that has Edgerrin James on it!
-Edgerrin James- Mostly rarer stuff. Also odd ball type items.
-Javarris James- Mostly rarer stuff. Also odd ball type items.
-Any checklist that has Edgerrin or Javarris James name on it!
-Any cards of the actors from Married With Children.
-Ice-T auto- From Razor.
-Some of the Celebrity GU and autos. Mostly famous movie actors I like. Nothing super high end.

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
ffman
post Mar 7 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #13

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 6 2011, 07:57 PM)
Pick a segment of players in a sport

3000 hits, 300 wins, heismann winners, 10,000 yard rushers

collect autos or gu!

Build something that will have value down the road!

This is an interesting idea for something that could parallel my completed 500 HR Club game-used collection.

Something like your collection (all HOF players) would be too big for me as it has too many old, old-timers - but something like the above ideas could be accomplished with time.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
babybraves05
post Mar 7 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #14

November 29th- Coach Phillip Fulmer Day
Group Icon

First Name: Alex
Transactions: 160

eBay: mlb9992

YouTube:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Just thinking out loud as this just came to the top of my head, but how about a switch hitter collection... IDK... I'm a pretty big Chipper Jones fan, so it just came to me as soon Steve mentioned the other statistical categories. It would be a unique collection no doubt.

Good luck in finding something!

QUOTE(ffman @ Mar 7 2011, 12:32 PM)
This is an interesting idea for something that could parallel my completed 500 HR Club game-used collection. 

Something like your collection (all HOF players) would be too big for me as it has too many old, old-timers - but something like the above ideas could be accomplished with time.

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x256/BabyBraves05/?

Collecting ALL Peyton Manning Patches and AU's

Collecting ALL Erik Ainge everything!
Collecting All Jonathan Crompton Cards! EVERYTHING!
Collecting ALL Andruw Jones Base, Inserts, GU's and AU's

user posted image
Thanks to Tyler A.K.A. Broscards A.K.A. Meachem Freak for the Kick butt banner!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted imageuser posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
jam92102
post Mar 7 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #15

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Jim
Transactions: 298

View Gallery

Create Transaction

How about a project of owning one auto of every player you like or liked as a child. I know for me that would be a big task and would bring some great memories, and would always be on the chase for more, or you'd come across a guy and go 'oh yeah I forgot all about him'. Wouldn't be a fortune either.

+Quote Post
ffman
post Mar 7 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #16

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(jam92102 @ Mar 7 2011, 07:57 PM)
How about a project of owning one auto of every player you like or liked as a child.  I know for me that would be a big task and would bring some great memories, and would always be on the chase for more, or you'd come across a guy and go 'oh yeah I forgot all about him'.  Wouldn't be a fortune either.

That might be a little hard, as many of the players I liked as a child were quite popular. Griffey, Thomas, Ripken, Bonds, etc. laugh.gif

For an update:

Today I decided to re-organize the pieces of my PC that are in a four-row shoebox (mainly my Wright collection, rookie collections, and the GU/RC/AU portions of my Titans collection). Tonight and tomorrow I will work on updating my David Wright spreadsheet, and will also create a few different spreadsheets for my Titans collection. This will encourage me to work on those respective collections.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
MetsFan86
post Mar 7 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #17

Let's Go Mets
Group Icon

First Name: Liam
Transactions: 39

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I usually pick a team, player or series that interests me, and that I think will be fun/easy and relatively unique for me to collect (Balkman/Orton/Mets). I think it's fun to "invest" in a player BEFORE they are in their prime or even on the map as a significant player. I started collecting Jeff Francis years ago just based on an interest, and in 2007 he finished 9th among voters for the NL Cy Young award! You never know!

I love finding a player who's interesting and not impossibly difficult or expensive to collect. That way, when/if that player succeeds, its twice as satisfying as you feel like an accomplished "scout" of sorts. Plus, that satisfaction is complemented by a significant rise in the value of your collection, which is always nice.

Hope this helps! Lot of good ideas floating around.

My Tradelist
Current Wants:
Baseball- Past and Present Mets!
Football-Kyle Orton, Jason Pierre-Paul, Victor Cruz
Basketball-Knicks, Rick Barry, Bill Walton
Mets Collection: 444 Cards!
user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
ffman
post Mar 7 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #18

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(MetsFan86 @ Mar 7 2011, 09:35 PM)
I usually pick a team, player or series that interests me, and that I think will be fun/easy and relatively unique for me to collect (Balkman/Orton/Mets). I think it's fun to "invest" in a player BEFORE they are in their prime or even on the map as a significant player. I started collecting Jeff Francis years ago just based on an interest, and in 2007 he finished 9th among voters for the NL Cy Young award! You never know!
I love finding a player who's interesting and not impossibly difficult or expensive to collect. That way, when/if that player succeeds, its twice as satisfying as you feel like an accomplished "scout" of sorts. Plus, that satisfaction is complemented by a significant rise in the value of your collection, which is always nice.

Hope this helps! Lot of good ideas floating around.

That was what I was considering with Rickie Weeks and Matt Garza, but...eh.

However, I have:

- Entered all (I think) of my David Wright collection into a spreadsheet
- Entered all of my rookie-year Chris Johnson cards into a spreadsheet

Next - Steve McNair, Eddie George, and Vince Young

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
ffman
post Mar 30 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #19

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Update time:

Around two years ago I worked sparingly on a Sammy Sosa Excel spreadsheet. At the time, it was complete. However, I did not take efforts to update it as new additions came in again.

Today, I opened the spreadsheet to see that only 580 cards were added. My collection currently sits at somewhere between 800-1000 cards. I considered updating the spreadsheet, but there's a problem. My Sosa binders are not organized at all - meaning as I come across a card, I would have to see if it was already on the list or not. At the moment, I don't have the patience or time for such an endeavor.

On the other hand, my David Wright collection is completely up-to-date via a spreadsheet. Currently, it consists of 144 cards. To the best of my knowledge none of the cards are in a binder; they are all loose (organized) in a shoebox or in a protector (GU/AU). A member on the Bench sent me a list of David Wright base/inserts he had for trade; amazingly, I was able to check and see (accurately) which ones I needed.

As a result, my collection may make a big change. Sammy Sosa might no longer be my focus. I enjoy picking up his cards, especially unique 90s inserts and game-used cards. However, in terms of organization it is too much of a chore (thanks to my own lazy attitude in the past). From an organization standpoint, shifting my focus to David Wright would be much easier. I could also enjoy seeing my collection grow, much like I have in the past with my Sosa collection.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
Krusin
post Mar 30 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #20

Where's BOB, let us know, it's the right thing to do
Group Icon

First Name: Bud
Transactions: 35

eBay: 615native

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Here's an easy one - If you have a 1/1 Printing Plate or a 1/1 that has different versions chase those. Makes for a unique pc that only you can have.

And as always from me anyway find a set you like for whatever reason & start searching & don't give up that's what it's all about those little "ta da" moments that put a smile on your face.

good luck & happy hunting

+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 27th April 2024 - 05:35 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us