Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

2 Pages  1 2 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Monday Night Wars start off with a death!!!, The beatings continue

jaderock
post Mar 9 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Collector Zone Team
Group Icon
Group Icon

Members Referred: 53
First Name: Peter
Transactions: 48
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: jaderock

SportsBuy: 5193

OpenChecklist:
jaderock

Awards:
2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Player Collection 2007 Favorite Collection Jan 2010 Member of the Month

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Ummmm...not literally, but in the ratings, the 1st TNA show that is to go heads up against WWE on Monday from here on out scored a stinker.... 1.0!!! vs 3.4 for WWE RAW (also down).

A 1.0 rating for an advertised Hogan/Abyss vs Flair/Styles and the return of RVD (albeit not really advertised) is even worse than their old regular Thursday time slot. Dixie must be clueless to all the self serving conmen and this has to been deemed an absolute FAILURE!

TNA is really surprizing us (well, themselves moreso) by NOT advertising the return of Sting, Jeff Hardy and the arrival of RVD and Shannon Moore.

In alot of ways, Impact was "the better" show, but everything gets lost. I mean they had Hogan, Flair, Sting all in the 1st 15 minutes with BLOOD!

How in the world do you screw up the 1st appearance of RVD?!? Have him beat Sting in 15 seconds, but then get LAID "the heck" OUT for the NEXT 10 minutes!!!!! That's how...wow...I was speechless after he scored the pin!

Jeff Hardy's new look - well his hair that is - looks GOD aweful...who is his barber? Boogie? How can you get past his hair??? That said, he looked good closing out the program.

Everyone has said it before...."so much talent, but nobody cares about anything they are doing!" Where's Samoa Joe - yeah the fat overweight Samoan? Wasn't he much more over 4 years ago?

Anyway...your thoughts?

As for WWE...McMahon vs Cena really didn't take place, but that was expected.

Watching Randy Orton LOSE to DiBiase (and Rhodes) clean in the middle was/is bringing Orton down 5 notches.

1st time I will give kudos to Triple H for NOT SPOTLIGHTING himself in WrestleMania...maybe he'll even lose to Shamus?? <<< Let's not get TOOO far ahead of ourselves <<< hell hasn't frozen over yet!

Kill the guest host gimick after Austin...please!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

4 Sport Tradelist...BRUNELL WANTLIST
My Brunell website: Ultimate Mark Brunell Card Collection Having spent 12+ years on the collection, this IS the most complete/comprehensive single player collection in the world! Now with 238 #1/1 cards!!
user posted image

RIP Christine 5/18/2011-1/29/2015

NBA Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PJRoxx
post Mar 9 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #2

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Mike
Transactions: 94

eBay: littlemonstersdad

View Gallery

Create Transaction

TNA was by far a much better show. But to be honest, I don't like WWE's variety show, so that wouldn't take much. But the Sting turn was the highlight of the night. I know a lot of people are griping about how RVD got overshadowed, but I don't think the Sting turn would have worked as well otherwise. He had the fans chanting "you suck" at him and had them eating out of the palm of his hand. The way the Impact Zone fans are, him just attacking Hogan (or somebody else they weren't so hopped up about) wouldn't have had the same impact.

But you're absolutely right about two things jade -- the 1.0 is a HUGE disappointment, and TNA screwed up in not advertising stuff like Hardy, RVD, etc. Surprises are nice, but TNA needed to advertise better they were coming out with guns blazing.

People who are expecting a repeat of the Monday Night War are kidding themselves. WCW was a company with decades upon decades of history and a built in fan base to build on. TNA is only a few years old. TNA right now has by far the better talent, although their booking is maddening. WWE is a gigantic media conglomerate; nobody is going to step in and overtake them, no matter how bad their product sucks.

It'll be fun going forward. But to be honest, TNA really just started to hit a peak in November and December when guys like AJ, Joe, Daniels, Wolfe and Angle were stealing the show. They took some major steps backwards once Hogan came in. I really wish they'd let the wrestlers just do their thing -- wrestle -- and get away from all the Hogan and Russo crap that goes on. They're never going to compete with WWE by being WWE lite, but if they focused on being a wrestling product and not another sports entertainment company, they might be able to lure back some fans who left when WCW went out of business.

Collecting Denver Broncos autos/GU/etc.

My cards
My Broncos collection

Profile Card
+Quote Post
SinatraKing
post Mar 10 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #3

Retired Box Break Host
Group Icon

First Name: Brandon
Transactions: 646

eBay: sinatraking

Awards:
Trader of the Month - Jun. '06

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I give it less than a year before Vince has bought TNA, and monopolized the market, yet, once again.

My card collection has been put on hold, I pick up vintage cards from time to time, but overall I collect Music Memorabilia now. I am an avid Custom Print Guitar Pick collector now, so if you have any, let me know.

Brandon

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
+Quote Post
jaderock
post Mar 10 2010, 05:43 AM
Post #4

Collector Zone Team
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
jaderock

Awards:
2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Player Collection 2007 Favorite Collection Jan 2010 Member of the Month

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(PJRoxx @ Mar 9 2010, 09:10 PM)
TNA was by far a much better show. But to be honest, I don't like WWE's variety show, so that wouldn't take much. But the Sting turn was the highlight of the night. I know a lot of people are griping about how RVD got overshadowed, but I don't think the Sting turn would have worked as well otherwise. He had the fans chanting "you suck" at him and had them eating out of the palm of his hand. The way the Impact Zone fans are, him just attacking Hogan (or somebody else they weren't so hopped up about) wouldn't have had the same impact.

But you're absolutely right about two things jade -- the 1.0 is a HUGE disappointment, and TNA screwed up in not advertising stuff like Hardy, RVD, etc. Surprises are nice, but TNA needed to advertise better they were coming out with guns blazing.

People who are expecting a repeat of the Monday Night War are kidding themselves. WCW was a company with decades upon decades of history and a built in fan base to build on. TNA is only a few years old. TNA right now has by far the better talent, although their booking is maddening. WWE is a gigantic media conglomerate; nobody is going to step in and overtake them, no matter how bad their product sucks.

It'll be fun going forward. But to be honest, TNA really just started to hit a peak in November and December when guys like AJ, Joe, Daniels, Wolfe and Angle were stealing the show. They took some major steps backwards once Hogan came in. I really wish they'd let the wrestlers just do their thing -- wrestle -- and get away from all the Hogan and Russo crap that goes on. They're never going to compete with WWE by being WWE lite, but if they focused on being a wrestling product and not another sports entertainment company, they might be able to lure back some fans who left when WCW went out of business.

PJ

I agree to some extent that the way they did Sting's return had to go the way it did; however, he could have KILLED ANYONE ELSE - like an (or a group of) X division guys (Russo loves doing this from time to time). But to kill a NEW character RVD with NO, I mean absolutely NO, comeback of any sort was mind blowing.

I use to complain that Jeff Jarrett was the glory hog, but I will admit TNA was much better then (and over too) than it is now...Their current roster is jammed to the gills with talent...that said most recent arrivals are getting ALL the limelight with the "regulars" lost in the crowd. Personally, I think TNA peaked several years ago when Joe, Styles and Daniels were on top <<< but wrestling "reality" hit and they "weren't" seen as STARS...blah, blah, blah.

I like TNA on Thursday...I get a bit of wrestling on nearly every weekday!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

My Brunell website: Ultimate Mark Brunell Card Collection Having spent 12+ years on the collection, this IS the most complete/comprehensive single player collection in the world! Now with 238 #1/1 cards!!
user posted image

NBA Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Mar 10 2010, 07:11 AM
Post #5

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

wrestling was on monday night????

laugh.gif

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
bravesfan09
post Mar 10 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #6

@RizzyStyles
Group Icon

First Name: Chip
Transactions: 619

eBay: chipstertcc

Awards:
Trader of the Month - May '06, Jun. '07 Official Sauce Master

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Thanks to DVR I watched both shows in their entirety. I was very unhappy with both shows. For the first week of the Monday Night Wars, I gotta say it really sucked. Hopefully with Austin on Raw next week the 2 shows will both step their games up.

user posted image
Collecting Autographs of current Orioles and Nationals, Adam Jones, Ken Griffey Jr, Cal Ripken, Stephen Strasburg, James Laurinaits, Chipper Jones, Tom Brady, Albert Pujols, Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, and Bryce Harper. GU of Mantle, Williams, Jackie, Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth.

TCC's OFFICIAL SAUCE MASTER

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Mar 11 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #7

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

First Name: Chad
Transactions: 186

eBay: cardguy37122

Awards:
2009 Must Read of the Year

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The only real surprise to this new "Monday Night War" is how Bischoff/Hogan and their merry band of leaches were able to CONvince someone else to open their checkbook and give them control. Did Dixie already forget about WCW?

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
jaderock
post Mar 11 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #8

Collector Zone Team
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
jaderock

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Mar 11 2010, 01:00 PM)
The only real surprise to this new "Monday Night War" is how Bischoff/Hogan and their merry band of leaches were able to CONvince someone else to open their checkbook and give them control. Did Dixie already forget about WCW?

1st Jeff Jarrett and now Hogan/Bischoff, Dixie is one dumb b....blond! tongue.gif

That is the saddest part!
--
In week ONE, it seems that Hogan/Bischoff are already hotshooting (giving away) stuff for TV versus building for PPV. I heard taped stuff for next weeks Impact is a doozie

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

user posted image

NBA Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
jaderock
post Mar 16 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #9

Collector Zone Team
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
jaderock

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

2nd week results are in!!!! Raw recoveries a tad back to 3.7 and Impact falls to 0.8

Those in charge of TNA hot shot a lot of stuff last week (for 2 weeks) not holding ANYTHING off for the PPV, making the TV show the #1 priority...guess what - it doesn't matter cause they are losing viewers in spite of all the NEW (and expensive) NAME talent that are coming in.

I remember Hogan saying that he would leave if he couldn't turn TNA around...not sure what "turn around" meant, but maybe he meant "turning back the clock" (ie Nasty Boys...where's Beefcake?). Will he leave before Dixie Carter is bankrupt? Or will he be "polite" and just leave her in a sea of RED????

Last week, the 1st week of the "wars" (somewhat coined by Hogan and Bishoff as coming after the "big" dog), I flipped channels and caught bits and pieces of TNA's show which I thought overall was a better show. I even TAPED (VHS...yeah I'm old school or poor school) it but didn't even watch it. Glad they had a Thursday replay which garnered the SAME 1.0 rating on Monday. That said, the Thursday replay (old time slot) was a 1 time deal and not continual going forward <<< I hope I'm wrong!

This week, with a Lakers/Warriors game on ESPN and RAW, I didn't even bother to watch TNA.

What about you?

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

user posted image

NBA Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
PJRoxx
post Mar 16 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #10

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I watched TNA and taped Raw. TNA was a MUCH better show. Here is the biggest problem: they had a huge main even in Hardy/Styles and did absolutely NOTHING to advertise it. No hype on last weeks show, no advertising on Spike TV, heck, they didn't even mention it on their web site until Sunday. They didn't give viewers any reason to turn in.

Here are two things I took from Monday:

1. WWE is down to its core audience, and that's it. It really doesn't matter if they decide to build the show around John Cena and Batista or Carlito and Chris Masters. The show is going to draw somewhere between a 3.4 and 3.7, no more, no less.

2. TNA and Spike TV need to do something to bring back the wrestling fans who left when WCW went out of business. They've got a huge uphill battle on their hands and they're going to have to be much more aggressive. They aren't going to take WWE's core audience; they need to find fans elsewhere.

I can't believe how little effort they've made to advertise the fact that they've signed Jeff Hardy, who was the biggest star in wrestling the last two years. There should be commercials on Spike featuring profiles of wrestlers -- established names like Kurt Angle, RVD and Jeff Hardy, and also of younger talent like Generation Me, Desmond Wolfe and AJ Styles who are doing things on TV you won't see on WWE.

But, just like always, TNA's problem isn't its wrestling. TNA has more talent on one show than WWE has on both brands. But their management really has no idea how to sell the product (not to mention how to tell a story).

My cards
My Broncos collection

Profile Card
+Quote Post
jaderock
post Mar 17 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #11

Collector Zone Team
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
jaderock

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(PJRoxx @ Mar 16 2010, 09:40 PM)

But, just like always, TNA's problem isn't its wrestling. TNA has more talent on one show than WWE has on both brands. But their management really has no idea how to sell the product (not to mention how to tell a story).

Talent, for the most part, is NEVER TNA's problem. Unfortunately, right now the TNA roster is 67 +/- for ONE show, while WWE had 85 +/- personalites spread over THREE shows. << No wonder talented guys get lost in the mix on TNA especially when top tier talent are all oldies liike Sting, Nash, etc (and Hogan/Flair to some extent).

That's why I used to like Don West on commentary - at least he tried to sell the product since he's a natural pitchman.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

user posted image

NBA Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
jaderock
post Mar 18 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #12

Collector Zone Team
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
jaderock

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(jaderock @ Mar 16 2010, 03:27 PM)
That said, the Thursday replay (old time slot) was a 1 time deal and not continual going forward <<< I hope I'm wrong!

Glad this week WILL have a replay on Thursday! YES!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

user posted image

NBA Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
PJRoxx
post Mar 18 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #13

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Jaderock -- I'm sure you'll agree with me on this. I don't think moving to Mondays was TNA's best move. I think it would have made more sense to go live on Thursdays first and test the waters with a live show. There's something to be said for being live every week. They should have taken that step before going to Monday nights.

QUOTE(jaderock @ Mar 17 2010, 11:33 PM)
Glad this week WILL have a replay on Thursday! YES!

My cards
My Broncos collection

Profile Card
+Quote Post
ffman
post Mar 18 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #14

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Cody
Transactions: 147

View Gallery

Create Transaction

RAW was fairly weak (what I watched of it).

I liked seeing Stone Cold again but no stunner and the constant bleeper was annoying.

Since when is a-- no longer allowed on a PG program? I noticed they allowed it once (open a can of whoop), but censored later uses.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image
RIP Daze_fan l RIP Steve McNair l RIP Chris Henry l RIP tazmocan
Collecting: Mickey Mantle, Tennessee Titans, 2006 Vince Young

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
jaderock
post Mar 18 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #15

Collector Zone Team
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
jaderock

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(PJRoxx @ Mar 18 2010, 05:56 PM)
Jaderock -- I'm sure you'll agree with me on this. I don't think moving to Mondays was TNA's best move. I think it would have made more sense to go live on Thursdays first and test the waters with a live show. There's something to be said for being live every week. They should have taken that step before going to Monday nights.

Live or not isn't really an issue with me (similar to when WWE doesn't go live every once in a while) AS LONG AS YOU HAVE compelling and sensible stories. Personally I don't want the Hogan, Nash, Sting generation of wrestlers (includes Flair, Foley and Jarrett) <<< that was then, this is NOW! Same goes for WWE.

QUOTE(ffman @ Mar 18 2010, 06:09 PM)
RAW was fairly weak (what I watched of it). 

I liked seeing Stone Cold again but no stunner and the constant bleeper was annoying. 

Since when is a-- no longer allowed on a PG program?  I noticed they allowed it once (open a can of whoop), but censored later uses.

Cody...they are on strict TCC guidelines tongue.gif

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

user posted image

NBA Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
jaderock
post Mar 31 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #16

Collector Zone Team
Group Icon
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
jaderock

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

3.7 rating RAW (Retirement show for HBK -- disappointing)
0.6 rating TNA - disasterous

No Reruns = no chance to watch them

Next week TNA starts at 8pm which will help alot for 1 hour...My prediction: The Band, Hogan and Flair will be splattered all over the 1st hour and "disappear" on the 2nd hour; therefore, confirming what THEY'VE KNOWN ALL ALONG that RVD, Hardy, AJ and the X guys can not DRAW!!! rolleyes.gif

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

user posted image

NBA Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Mar 31 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #17

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(jaderock @ Mar 31 2010, 02:48 PM)
3.7 rating RAW (Retirement show for HBK -- disappointing)
0.6 rating TNA - disasterous

No Reruns = no chance to watch them

Next week TNA starts at 8pm which will help alot for 1 hour...My prediction: The Band, Hogan and Flair will be splattered all over the 1st hour and "disappear" on the 2nd hour; therefore, confirming what THEY'VE KNOWN ALL ALONG that RVD, Hardy, AJ and the X guys can not DRAW!!! rolleyes.gif

I watched Raw at the very end to see HBK's retirement speech. It appeared to me to be the most GENUINE thing ive seen on Wrestling in 40 + years!

HBK overall talent is unmatched in my opinion by any other wrestler, even Cena. Guys like Miz, swagger, jericho, edge and a few other youngsters could all learn a thing or two by watching some of Shawns mid-career promos (after he turned heel and then turned face) . He will be greatly missed and leaves a huge pair of shoes to fill!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Apr 4 2010, 02:25 AM
Post #18

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

First Name: Chad
Transactions: 186

eBay: cardguy37122

Awards:
2009 Must Read of the Year

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Well said Ace! HBK had some of the most memorable matches I have seen as a fan of wrestling for over 25 years. I expect him to make sporadic appearances over the years as a "special attraction" or "big surprise" but never return to a full time schedule. His retirement leaves RAW with an unbalanced roster on the babyface side. Thus, we have the slow face turn of Randy Orton moving ahead.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
hobbyfan
post Apr 6 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #19

All-Star
Group Icon

Transactions: 91

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Part of TNA's overall problem is its writing. Vince Russo still works for them, and last night, you have a 8-woman elimination tag where there are keys to 4 lockboxes. Tara won one key, but lost the title (she got her spider back). Typical Russo nonsense. Dixie really is dumber than the average mark to keep this cretin around.

Raw wasn't much better, which isn't saying much. The ratings will probably relay the same story as the last 2-3 weeks. WWE rolls on.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Apr 6 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #20

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(hobbyfan @ Apr 6 2010, 12:03 PM)
Part of TNA's overall problem is its writing. Vince Russo still works for them, and last night, you have a 8-woman elimination tag where there are keys to 4 lockboxes. Tara won one key, but lost the title (she got her spider back). Typical Russo nonsense. Dixie really is dumber than the average mark to keep this cretin around.

Raw wasn't much better, which isn't saying much. The ratings will probably relay the same story as the last 2-3 weeks. WWE rolls on.

I watched perhaps the greatest NCAA championship game Ive ever seen in my 35+ years of watching the tournament!

I wouldnt have traded it for wrestlemania!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 29th March 2024 - 10:48 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us