Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> We need suggestions!!

msw_sportscards
post Apr 27 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #41

Collect Hard!!! RIP RGBII
Group Icon

First Name: Marc
Transactions: 84
(View: Pending | Failed)

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Suggestions
1. Update the main page- it's already been said by numerous people, but I'll reiterate. If you don't have enough people to get the job done, recruit more. I'm sure there are still a few members here who care enough to help out.

2. For the members: Referrals, referrals, referrals. Talk to people at your LCS (if you have one); employees and customers alike. Get the word out. If you frequent other trading card sites or even ebay, GET THE WORD OUT.

3. For the members: Be active on the site. Help out where you can. Create interesting threads. Participate in other members' threads.

4. For the CZT: Provide an atmosphere that makes people want to come here and return. Unless someone is blatantly exploiting TCC or promoting an unsafe or abusive environment for the site, get out of our way and let us interact. Some of us do realize and appreciate how much you do. For those who don't, I'm sure there are a few CZT members who will gladly remind them. On the other hand, doing a lot for the site, doesn't make you God. There are and have been several members without the CZT title who have also done a lot for the site. Many of those members are now gone for one reason or another. Please, keep in mind that TCC is a service to its members; members who have many options and choose to come here.

5. If you don't want suggestions, then remove the suggestions forum.

This post has been edited by msw_sportscards: Apr 27 2012, 09:45 AM

User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mjda
post Apr 27 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #42

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

First Name: Mike
Transactions: 268

Awards:
May 2009 Member of The Month

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Marc, very well written post. I agree completely with points 1-3.

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
+Quote Post
Krusin
post Apr 27 2012, 10:14 AM
Post #43

Where's BOB, let us know, it's the right thing to do
Group Icon

First Name: Bud
Transactions: 35

eBay: 615native

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Random thoughts.

I've had NO virus warnings in months.

I don't think there's anything physicaly wrong with the site at the moment.

The ads on the side bar recently have been advertising another Trade Site, one I hadn't heard of before it popped up. If I were the owner I wouldn't like that.

If there's a way to filter which Sub Fourms posts show when you "View New Posts" that would be great i.m.o. . Sometimes the 1st 2 pages are posts of Case Break sales, while these are important to the participants do we all need to see them? Not a big deal either way.

The Home page being out of date is not good i.m.o. Curently showing member of the month for Jan 2011, box reviews for 2009, Hobby headlines from 2006. Any newbies happening on the site would be lead to belive the site is no longer active and move on before checking out what's happening today. Either make the home page generic or keep it up to date.

As an radio ad (for a gun & knife show) here says every month, "Tell a buddy, bring a friend".

Add a TCC link in your My E-Bay page, there's tons of collectors out there that have never been on a trading card site, I meet them monthly at card shows.

I be back with more if I think of any.

+Quote Post
mjda
post Apr 27 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #44

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Krusin @ Apr 27 2012, 10:14 AM)
I've had NO virus warnings in months.

I don't think there's anything physicaly wrong with the site at the moment.

As it turns out, there was never a virus to begin with. According to Bob, who was speaking from Bob laugh.gif, it was faulty coding that presented itself as a virus. Fortunately, it was never anything that could harm anyone's computer.

QUOTE(Krusin)
The ads on the side bar recently have been advertising another Trade Site, one I hadn't heard of before it popped up. If I were the owner I wouldn't like that.

The ads on the sidebar are put there by an advertising company, or companies. I believe only the owner has the ability to remove those.

QUOTE(Krusin)
As an radio ad (for a gun & knife show) here says every month, "Tell a buddy, bring a friend".

Add a TCC link in your My E-Bay page, there's tons of collectors out there that have never been on a trading card site, I meet them monthly at card shows.

I agree completely, with both statements. Believe me, if I had anyone I could tell, or bring, to TCC I would do just that. Unfortunately, I never get the opportunity to attend any card shows and the closest LCS is 50 miles away (I've never been there either sad.gif). Additionally, the only people I know who collect cards are right here on TCC. wink.gif

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
bajmurray
post Apr 27 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #45

bajmurray
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 423

eBay: bajmurray

Awards:
2009 ROY - Newcomer December 2009 TCC Member of the Month

View Gallery

Create Transaction

It's good to see the discussion and suggestions taking place in this thread. This is the kind of stuff we need to see more of here.

However, I'd like to make the following comments:

1) It's one thing to make suggestions. It's quite another to try to do something to improve the site. Kudos to msw_sportscards to using the "Chain" thread to help drum up new members. Also, special recognition to Adamsharpe for bringing back the "trade-a-thon".

2) It's easy to blame volunteers for making decisions you don't like. The site has pretty high standards that were set by the founder, and the team is trying very hard to live up to them. As the CZT member who has been on the team the shortest amount of time, you should see the kind of junk we have to deal with that never makes the main forums. (Logging on at 6 am one morning and having to spend an hour deleting pictures of an overrated "singer" flipping the bird in multiple threads is no fun, let me tell you! blink.gif )

3) If you have an idea you'd like to try but aren't sure if it's appropriate, feel free to PM a CZT member. Trust me, that's the kind of stuff we love dealing with!

4) On the other hand, sending a PM saying "Why don' t you do such-and-such?" isn't appreciated. If you think it's a good idea, go do it! (see item number 1)

5) Lighten up people! This hobby is supposed to be fun! rolleyes.gif

Thanks for reading. I personally appreciate every one of you! You guys (& girls) have made this site enjoyable!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

HOF GU/AUTO Collection status:
Baseball 116 ~ Football 153 ~ Hockey 113

Please check out my ebay store: Murray's Sports Collectibles.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Murrays-Sports...s__W0QQ_armrsZ1

NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
mjda
post Apr 27 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #46

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bajmurray @ Apr 27 2012, 10:40 AM)
If you think it's a good idea, go do it!

I was with you until this line. There are actually a lot of ideas that people could come up with that they might not have time for. So, those suggestions are shared so that someone with time might take it and run.

Then there are a few suggestions that simply cannot be carried out by any member. Such as the suggestion about updating the front page, which seems to be the biggest suggestion in this particular thread. This is something only a few members of the team can even do.

Here is a list of the suggestion that I have mentioned, or agreed should be done, over the last month and the reasons why I simply didn't just carry them out myself.

1. Pack Pull of The Month - This is going to be a fairly big undertaking. One that will require a great deal of dedication. One that I certainly do not have time for, on my own. However, I did send a team member a PM letting them know that if they were to start this back up again that I would help them as much as I possibly could. I didn't receive a reply to that PM.

2. Fix the Virus - Nothing I could have done about this, even if it did turn out to be a real virus. Luckily, it wasn't.

3. Do the TCC Awards - This is one of those that I feel like should be handled by the team, simply so it is "official". Also, it has always been handled by the team, probably for that very reason.

4. Update the Home Page - Obviously, this is not something that I have the ability to do.

5. Update the Favorite Team Logos - Again, not something I can do. I did, however, offer to make all of the updated icons if needed. I didn't receive a single reply.

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
msw_sportscards
post Apr 27 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #47

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bajmurray @ Apr 27 2012, 10:40 AM)
It's good to see the discussion and suggestions taking place in this thread. This is the kind of stuff we need to see more of here.

However, I'd like to make the following comments:

1) It's one thing to make suggestions. It's quite another to try to do something to improve the site. Kudos to msw_sportscards to using the "Chain" thread to help drum up new members. Also, special recognition to Adamsharpe for bringing back the "trade-a-thon".

4)  If you think it's a good idea, go do it! (see item number 1)

5) Lighten up people! This hobby is supposed to be fun! rolleyes.gif

Thanks for reading. I personally appreciate every one of you! You guys (& girls) have made this site enjoyable!

1) Kudos aren't necessary, but your intent is well-received. We'll receive our rewards when the site returns to its former status and beyond.

4) I can peronally attest that this isn't always suitable and one should be careful to give such advice when apparently all involved clearly do not feel the same way on the matter and seek to punish those who act on this advice.

5) Amen to that, brother.

+Quote Post
ffman
post Apr 27 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #48

Merry Christmas!
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Cody
Transactions: 147

View Gallery

Create Transaction

The main page isn't a huge problem for me; most people never see it (I go directly to www.tradingcardcentral.com/forums).

For #4: yes, some CZT members are "strict", but that's mainly when needed due to certain problem members (NOT directed at msw or mjda) who simply can't grasp certain concepts in regards to transactions, breaking the rules, etc. If you think of a genuinely good idea and try to act on it, you won't be "punished" for it.

I agree that I would like to see the Team as a whole be more active in general - but I'm just as much to blame as anyone else (my activity level has significantly dropped over the last year or two). To get this forum back to where it once was it is going to take a group effort from the CZT and regular members alike.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image
RIP Daze_fan l RIP Steve McNair l RIP Chris Henry l RIP tazmocan
Collecting: Mickey Mantle, Tennessee Titans, 2006 Vince Young

My new trade page:

ffman's Cards for Trade

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Apr 27 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #49

Legend
Group Icon

Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(msw_sportscards @ Apr 27 2012, 09:39 AM)
Suggestions
4. For the CZT: Provide an atmosphere that makes people want to come here and return. Unless someone is blatantly exploiting TCC or promoting an unsafe or abusive environment for the site, get out of our way and let us interact. Some of us do realize and appreciate how much you do. For those who don't, I'm sure there are a few CZT members who will gladly remind them. On the other hand, doing a lot for the site, doesn't make you God. There are and have been several members without the CZT title who have also done a lot for the site. Many of those members are now gone for one reason or another. Please, keep in mind that TCC is a service to its members; members who have many options and choose to come here.

Marc, I agree with suggestions 1-3. As for this point, I think the CZT do everything in their power to make TCC a place people want to come to. They treat members fairly, give second chances, walk new people through rules or how something works, etc. I don't think any of the current CZT here have a "God" complex, these are hard working individuals that do a lot for the site, put up with a lot of petty stupid crud, and the only reward they get is the enjoyment of knowing they are trying to help this community and be a part of it. They were selected specifically because of how they interacted on the site and how much of a positive service they provided here. I worked with most of the team members and I can tell you they work hard at trying to make TCC a place where people want to come.

Marc, on a side note I am disappointed that we constantly have this suggestion referring to the CZT as an issue. If your last sentence is correct in number 4, and as it appears to me that you have an issue with the CZT here, then why do you "choose" to come here? I am not sure what your true intentions are? I have seen your posts/contests for your new site to host group breaks, so that makes me believe you have no true interest in TCC other than to use it as a way to bolster your site? This is my opinion, and I hope I am wrong, but I would like this topic to move past criticizing the CZT and try to focus on real ways to help TCC and it's members. I like coming here and have no problems with anyone here, but I would like to see things improve in terms of new members and more activity out of the ones here.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
dualshock
post Apr 27 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

First Name: Dennis
Transactions: 51

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(msw_sportscards @ Apr 27 2012, 06:39 AM)

2. For the members: Referrals, referrals, referrals. Talk to people at your LCS (if you have one); employees and customers alike. Get the word out. If you frequent other trading card sites or even ebay, GET THE WORD OUT.

I spend a lot of time on eBay and took your suggestion of adding a link back to TCC on my profile page. Never thought of it until I read this thread, so good idea. thumbup.gif

NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
5toosweet
post Apr 27 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #51

Jeff Bagwell Super Collector
Group Icon
Group Icon

Members Referred: 1
First Name: Abel
Transactions: 562

eBay: 5toosweet

Awards:
Best Jeff Bagwell Collection Ever!

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I was promoting TCC at the card show I organized and got a few to look into it. It got me thinking.....what if we sent out flyers promoting the site to other show promoters in exchange for advertising their show on TCC?

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

"You must show no mercy.....nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you.....for your greatness will silence them all."

Check Out My Cards!!!

Looking for:
1. Jeff Bagwell- HTF 90's base/inserts preferred
2. Vlad Guerrero
3. Paul Goldschmidt

My Facebook

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
msw_sportscards
post Apr 27 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #52

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Apr 27 2012, 11:56 AM)
I am not sure what your true intentions are?  I have seen your posts/contests for your new site to host group breaks, so that makes me believe you have no true interest in TCC other than to use it as a way to bolster your site?  This is my opinion, and I hope I am wrong,

Yes, Brian, the past 5+ years have been nothing but one giant plan to take over the world. I msut admit that I hatched this plot while at SCS, but never got the chance to implement it.

+Quote Post
5toosweet
post Apr 27 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #53

Jeff Bagwell Super Collector
Group Icon
Group Icon

Members Referred: 1
First Name: Abel
Transactions: 562

eBay: 5toosweet

Awards:
Best Jeff Bagwell Collection Ever!

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

We could also do craigslist.

While brain storming the card show idea maybe we should organize a mob of TCCers to hit the National and promote the site. At my show I had one of the BO mods setup at my show and he wore the BO shirt and painted his handle on the back. If we can get the shirts still maybe they could do the same at the National.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

"You must show no mercy.....nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you.....for your greatness will silence them all."

Check Out My Cards!!!

Looking for:
1. Jeff Bagwell- HTF 90's base/inserts preferred
2. Vlad Guerrero
3. Paul Goldschmidt

My Facebook

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
tyrodsports
post Apr 27 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #54

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Rodney
Transactions: 413

View Gallery

Create Transaction

There are some really good ideas being thrown out on the table, and some motivated folks taking the lead...however, will the suggestions be addressed? It doesnt seem as if they are, ie...updating the front page? Thank you.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
mjda
post Apr 27 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #55

TP9 Collector
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(tyrodsports @ Apr 27 2012, 05:45 PM)
will the suggestions be addressed?

This is definitely the question of the thread.

Collect Hard! -RGBII

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
tyrodsports
post Apr 27 2012, 05:53 PM
Post #56

HOF
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Also, I posted this in another thread...but felt it was relevent to repost....

"
Im still here, but I have to admit my attendance is dwindlng as well. However, I always find myself coming back because of the closeness of the TCC community. I have seen how traders have rallied around peers who have suffered tragic life events, and have also watched as we all celebrated happy moments such as children being born, moves, promotions, etc...

However, we need to do something to bring up the volume of members. In any marketing strategy, we have to find what the competitors are doing and see what is working for them. We can talk about the economy, rising gas prices, and other social turbulence; however, other sites seem to be unaffected. Immediately, I can think of two of these such sites that are still very active despite these variables that have "impacted' us.

I have always been taught to not only raise questions, but propose solutions as well.
-I think we need to market TCC. I was invited to this group when I was just poking around in some yahoo forums? It was that easy.
-Put our name out there in card shows. I went to a recent card show and a dealer asked if I deal with --------.com? I told him I did and gave him my handle, but also invited him to TCC. His response, "Never heard of it."
-Finally, we need to update our home page...I am not bashing our CZT at all. They do a great job, considering they are a volunteer force and Thanks should be given. However, when someone visits and the first thing they see is a Trader of the Month and it is from Jan 11, it doesnt show them the level of quality that we as traders are. I am a computer idiot, but am willing to help.

All and all, TCC will always be my hobby home. Now-who wants about 20K commons....lol....um...seriously, who wants em...lol"

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
bajmurray
post Apr 27 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #57

bajmurray
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 423

eBay: bajmurray

Awards:
2009 ROY - Newcomer December 2009 TCC Member of the Month

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(tyrodsports @ Apr 27 2012, 04:53 PM)
Now-who wants about 20K commons....lol....um...seriously, who wants em...lol"

I offer 5 bucks, PayPal, delivered! tongue.gif

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

HOF GU/AUTO Collection status:
Baseball 116 ~ Football 153 ~ Hockey 113

Please check out my ebay store: Murray's Sports Collectibles.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Murrays-Sports...s__W0QQ_armrsZ1

NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
tyrodsports
post Apr 27 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #58

HOF
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(bajmurray @ Apr 27 2012, 05:55 PM)
I offer 5 bucks, PayPal, delivered! tongue.gif

hmmmmm....nahhhhhh laugh.gif

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
redwing40
post Apr 27 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #59

HOF
Group Icon
Group Icon

Transactions: 248

Awards:
Member of the Month Jan 15

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Let's see, I posted a Contest on TCCs home page on Facebook for the 300 likes, wins a Card, had 9 likes going, and posted everyday, till I got off FB, shame, thought it was good Idea!

Posted a possible Group Submission to BGS for cards to get Graded, one response, NO!

Jackson Mi show, hung flyers every where I could, to bad I had to work, but also linked us on Craigslist at one point to get members coming here to TCC, and on other Trading sites as well, As a Newbie, I try! And will keep trying!

Think I came here reading all the post that have been made, members leaving , I'm here and been here a year, been at Sports Card Forum since 2008, 700 post, first year there still trying to reach my 20th trade, took till 2012 to reach my 114 at SCF, look at my post and trades here, I'm very happy with the site, need more kicking in here, just my opinion!

If the Team needs any recruiting, put me on that list, would love to help anyway I could.

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
NYStateOfMind1976
post Apr 27 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #60

It is what it is...
Group Icon

First Name: Adam
Transactions: 339

eBay: adam_the_game

Awards:
February 2010 Pack Pull of the Month, September 2009 Pack Pull of the Month, 2009 TCC Member of The Month

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(ffman @ Apr 27 2012, 12:39 PM)
The main page isn't a huge problem for me; most people never see it (I go directly to www.tradingcardcentral.com/forums).

I hear what you are saying brotha. Issue is, if you want to recruit "new blood" and show them what TCC is about this is exactly the first page they see. I would think most people coming to check out the site for the first would be at the main page first. But that is just my guess.

Adam

user posted image

I am hunting for the following:(Gu/Au)
- NYY: Jeter, Mattingly, vintage and HOF Yankees
-If you know me anything is possible but you have to know the secret stuff I will bite on.

Profile Card
+Quote Post

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 19th April 2024 - 02:57 AM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us