Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

2 Pages  1 2 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> TTM Autograph Collecting 101

gregorium
post Apr 5 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #1

He shoots...HE SCORES!!!!
Group Icon

Members Referred: 1
First Name: Greg
Transactions: 34
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: gregorium

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

Have you wondered how to go about collecting autographs through the mail but don’t know where to start? Here’s a little tutorial to help you get started.

Many athletes can be contacted care of their teams or agents. Keep in mind that retired athletes often act as scouts, coaches, consultants, general managers and presidents for your favourite organizations. Home address lists are also available online, but please, don’t drop in for tea. A little research can also cut down on the amount of mail that you get back marked Return To Sender (RTS). While many athletes or celebrities will sign for free, others will require that a fee be paid or a donation be made for their signatures. Don’t be shy to ask your fellow TCC members to share their experiences regarding TTM requests for certain players or celebrities.

Your letter should be concise and courteous. Everyone is busy these days, so keep your letter short and legible. Feel free to let them know that you have enjoyed their work. Using specifics adds sincerity to the letter, but be sure that you are using the right information. For example, “Mr. Cruise, I loved you in Top Gun” will probably be more successful than “Mr. Cruise, I loved you in Young Guns”. Some people prefer to receive hand-written letters over those that are word-processed. It gives the impression of being more sincere. Ask politely for their autograph and be sure to thank them for their time.

You may be sending to a multi-millionaire, but don’t forget, you are asking them for a favour, so you should not expect them to cover the cost of sending you an autograph. Always send a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and ensure that you have both sufficient postage and postage from the country you anticipate a response from. For example, if you live in the USA and are sending to Canada, you should have Canadian postage on your SASE and US postage on the request. You can purchase postage online from the postal services. International Reply Coupons (IRC) can be sent instead of the required foreign return postage. They are available from your local post office and can be exchanged for the minimum postage for an unregistered priority airmail letter. If you are sending oversized mail, you may need to include more than one IRC. Better yet, how about trading with another TCC member who lives in another country for the foreign postage you require? They are likely in the same boat as you regarding postage from your country. Remember, there is no obligation on the part of the athlete or celebrity to fulfill your request. Therefore, the easier you make it for them, the better your chances are at a successful return.

Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that your item will be returned, so don’t send anything that you cannot stand to lose. That one of a kind item may look great if it’s signed, but there is a risk of loss or damage, so you may be better off to wait for a public or private signing opportunity.

Be patient. Many of your requests will be returned to you within a few weeks or months, but it is not unheard of for a request to be returned years after it was sent.

Beware! Not every request will be successful. Some items may be returned unsigned, while others will feature facsimile, secretarial, stamped or auto-penned autographs. The best way to ensure authenticity is to have the item signed in person, but there are services out there that will authenticate a signature for a fee.

Most important of all, and I can’t stress this enough, is be polite. Always use your Please and Thank You’s. A little respect goes a long way and will help you build that TTM collection. Plus, being polite will also make your mother proud!

NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gregorium
post Apr 5 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

...and may your RTS's be few and your mailboxes full!!

Good luck everyone! biggrin.gif

NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
dd316
post Apr 5 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #3

Will Clark Collector Extraordinaire
Group Icon

First Name: Ted
Transactions: 159

eBay: dd316

OpenChecklist:
dd316

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Great writeup Greg, very helpful!!

MLB Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
bufbillsstlcards
post Apr 5 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #4

And now for something, completely diffferent.
Group Icon

Members Referred: 3
First Name: Aaron
Transactions: 37

OpenChecklist:
bufbillsstlcards

Restrictions:
Current Transactions Only and No Posting

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Thanks for posting this, I have been thinking about doing this for Buffalo Bills.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
JasonS
post Apr 5 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #5

MVP
Group Icon

Transactions: 11

eBay: santasguns

View Gallery

Create Transaction

TTM requests are a blast. It makes getting the mail something to look forward too. Good job Greg!

MLB Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
+Quote Post
psupuz31
post Apr 5 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #6

Paul Posluszny and Penn State Collector
Group Icon

First Name: Bill
Transactions: 153

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Nice Job, collecting TTM autographs is a very fun hobby to get into!

My Photobucket
Check out my current eBay Auctions

Collect:
Paul Posluszny
Penn State Allumni (List)
Tim Massaquoi
Philadelphia Eagles

user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
PackerBacker
post Apr 18 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #7

Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood
Group Icon

First Name: John
Transactions: 150

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I love collecting TTM because it's fun and an inexpensive way to get autographs from your favorite players. Plus getting an autograph back in the mail is 100x better than getting bills!

If you have less than 5 transactions, I ask that you send first.

My Bucket

I can only ship on Friday's

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
letsgopens2720
post Apr 24 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #8

All-Star
Group Icon

First Name: Christian
Transactions: 7

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Thanks for writing this up, it was very helpful when I read it. I have a couple questions tho,
How big of an envelop and how much postage is usually required?

If anyone has any Colby Armstrong, Kristopher Letang cards FS/FT, please let me know

Also looking for any other Penguins...If anyone has any, Please let me know. Thanks

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
gregorium
post Apr 24 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

It depends what you are looking to have signed. If you are sending an 8X10, then you'll need to send a 9X12 envelope with sufficient postage (check your applicable mail service's website or visit your post office). If it is just trading cards, then a regular envelope for the SASE with first class return postage.

NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
gregorium
post Apr 24 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Welcome to TCC, BTW!!

NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
letsgopens2720
post Apr 25 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #11

All-Star
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Do you always have to send something for them to sign or will they usually send an 8x10? If not, what would be a good place online to get cheap 8x10's of athletes? There are some players that I can't seem to find a card/picture of that I would like to write to. Thanks again for all the help.

If anyone has any Colby Armstrong, Kristopher Letang cards FS/FT, please let me know

Also looking for any other Penguins...If anyone has any, Please let me know. Thanks

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
psupuz31
post Apr 25 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #12

Paul Posluszny and Penn State Collector
Group Icon

First Name: Bill
Transactions: 153

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(letsgopens2720 @ Apr 25 2007, 12:42 PM)
Do you always have to send something for them to sign or will they usually send an 8x10?  If not, what would be a good place online to get cheap 8x10's of athletes?  There are some players that I can't seem to find a card/picture of that I would like to write to.  Thanks again for all the help.

Best Sports Photos.com is pretty good. But what I like to do is get a photo on the internet, and then you go on photoshop make it to an 8x10 size. Then you can prints at any photo place online for like 3.00. You can find good photos at the teams sites they should have a photo gallery. Hope this helps!

My Photobucket
Check out my current eBay Auctions

Collect:
Paul Posluszny
Penn State Allumni (List)
Tim Massaquoi
Philadelphia Eagles

user posted image

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
gregorium
post Apr 25 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I've also toyed with making my own card. Find a photo you like online, then photoshop away. My wife is into scrapbooking and she has some special two sided tape that's archival safe, and I stick the finished "card" front onto one of those "decoy" cards that I get in my packs of hockey cards to give them some stiffness. If you feel adventurous, you could always design your own card back for it, too.

NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jun 29 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #14

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Dwight
Transactions: 907

eBay: urbanmonk

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Just thought I would pass on something that I did when sending TTM requests (most of mine were in late 90s, though going to start doing it again I think). Postal service can be rough on cards sometimes, but had problems with athlete putting card in toploader with wet sig and part of it coming off on toploader or smudging. So I took a toploader, put in a ad card from pack (or piece of cardboard) and cut out part of face so they could sign it without taking it out of toploader, yet it still gives the card protection from postal service. Also makes it easier on the person you are asking for the favor, and maybe might give you a better success rate.

Side note: only took me an hour to figuire out scanning and posting a pick (so I'm slow), anyway think that worked to give you a picture what it looks like, but I still don't have the hang of it yet, or got it to do what I wanted laugh.gif
oh well practice makes perfect or someone will give me a clue.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

TCC's Cousin Itt

Looking for former Oregon State players in NFL, Steven Jackson top priority:

PC Want list for Modano, Have list for my FB PC and Trade lists for FB and HK

Mike Modano count 1,268 different cards out of 4,439 listed on Beckett

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
whalerfan
post Jun 29 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #15

MVP
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Jun 29 2007, 12:10 PM)
Just thought I would pass on something that I did when sending TTM requests (most of mine were in late 90s, though going to start doing it again I think).  Postal service can be rough on cards sometimes, but had problems with athlete putting card in toploader with wet sig and part of it coming off on toploader or smudging.  So I took a toploader, put in a ad card from pack (or piece of cardboard) and cut out part of face so they could sign it without taking it out of toploader, yet it still gives the card protection from postal service.  Also makes it easier on the person you are asking for the favor, and maybe might give you a better success rate. 

Side note: only took me an hour to figuire out scanning and posting a pick (so I'm slow), anyway think that worked to give you a picture what it looks like, but I still don't have the hang of it yet, or got it to do what I wanted  laugh.gif
oh well practice makes perfect or someone will give me a clue.

Great one, thanks for the tip!

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jun 29 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #16

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Oops forgot to say I used a box knife (why you put something in it so you don't cut thru backside), tried scissors and it didn't work very well.

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
gregorium
post Jul 4 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Innovative idea! It also let's you guide the player to a certain area of the card too.

NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jul 5 2007, 07:50 AM
Post #18

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(gregorium @ Jul 3 2007, 11:32 PM)
Innovative idea!  It also let's you guide the player to a certain area of the card too.

I was just thinking of making it easier on them, but that's a good point too. Also helped me not get smudged sigs and a toploader signed on the inside laugh.gif . May have been a fluke, but seemed my rate of succes went up a little bit, but really hard to gauge since some took years to come back to me, and many never saw again. The first ones I sent out w/o toploader and USPS did a number on some of them (imagine nowadays same or worse than the late 90s).
Also now that I think of it, may have used scissors after all, or had best success with them (sorry was 10 yrs ago). I think I'm going to try TTM again once I get some newer cards, sides I got 100 of them cut up toploaders and nothing to do with them.

EDIT:
Forgot, I also had one guy sign my toploader and not the card huh.gif if I find it I will post a pic, thats when I came up with the idea to cut the toploader. Also had a few rookie FB players use a ballpoint pen, so beware of the new guys especially the linemen who may not be used to signing alot (I pretty much sent to any player I had a card from and could find on a team llist).

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
letsgopens2720
post Jul 5 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #19

All-Star
Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Thanks for the tip with the toploader....I never would have thought of something like that
Next one I send out I will be sure to try that

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
urbanmonk
post Jul 6 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #20

HOF
Group Icon

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Ok found my signed toploader.
It was even one of my cut ones, flipped card over and signed toploader. Hard to see scan, it is Jammi German.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z69/urb...edtoploader.jpg

TCC's Cousin Itt

user posted image

NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 23rd April 2024 - 12:27 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us