Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Card Show Questions, First time setting up?

osufan2383
post Jul 16 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Mark Herzlich SuperCOllector
Group Icon

Transactions: 24
(View: Pending | Failed)

Restrictions:
Current Transactions Only

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

I have some questions for a card show I am setting up at.....

How much change should I bring and how do you determine the denominations of change like $1, $5, and $10....I do not want to bring $20.00 or more right now....

Do you offer to buy right away or do you see how the day is going and offer to buy later on?

How much do you go down on cards when someone is offering you cash for it? For example I have the Nugent and I think I could easily get $500.00-$700.00 for it. But I want to ask $400.00. Should I actually ask for $500.00 and see if they take it and than offer to work with them if they do not bite.

I do not have as much stuff as I did before because I sold most of my non-PC off before I decided to do the show. Do I need that much stuff for a smaller show and is there anything else I can bring besides cards. I have tons of books about WWII I can sell for $1.00-5.00 each and probably would go. Also if I am not displaying the books on the table should I make a sign stating I am selling the books?

Any other advice would be excellent

No more rookie collection

Collecting
New York Giants
Mark Herzlich
Keith Rivers
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Blackhawks
Stephen Strasburg
Bryce Harper
Military Veterans
Team USA Members
AJ (WWE)
Kaitlyn (WWE)
CM Punk (WWE)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tyrodsports
post Jul 16 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #2

HOF
Group Icon

First Name: Rodney
Transactions: 413

View Gallery

Create Transaction

What kind of WWII books?

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
osufan2383
post Jul 16 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

some are signed by the author. But autobiographies, specified battles like the Battle of the Bulge. All types.

Collecting
New York Giants
Mark Herzlich
Keith Rivers
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Blackhawks
Stephen Strasburg
Bryce Harper
Military Veterans
Team USA Members
AJ (WWE)
Kaitlyn (WWE)
CM Punk (WWE)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Jul 16 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #4

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

First Name: Chad
Transactions: 186

eBay: cardguy37122

Awards:
2009 Must Read of the Year

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I would bring anything I had of guys that are hot as well as any local stars. You could put the books in boxes or plastic totes under your table with a sign on them. People love to rummage through things to find a deal. Take plenty of change. Most importantly take a money marking pen. Shows are perfect places for people to pass fake bills. Make sure you can secure your cards while they are displayed using a table top showcase or something similiar since shows are perfect places for thieves also. Always mark your big money cards at full price or at least higher than you want. People will ask you to take less no matter what price you put on them. Be prepared to do business with the other dealers before the show opens. Have some bargain bins with cheaper cards seperated by sport, team, or player. You will be shocked at how much money you take in on those $1 cards. Be prepared to trade and not just sell. You may even want to print a sign or two for your table informing show-goers that you are willing to trade .Most of all, have fun and keep us updated on how things go.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
osufan2383
post Jul 16 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

thanks dodger I have a .25 cent box which will have inserts, RC's, commons, and parallel's....a $3.00 box which will have some higher rookies Tannehill, Richardson, and those guys...I am putting all RGIII rookies and inserts at $5.00 Each and Luck insert I have at the same...I also put the Prestige Draft SP RGIII's I have (I have 2 of them at $20.00 each. I think I am going to put the Haglin I have at $300.00 (It's New Jersey and New York fans are everywhere. I do not have a showcase unfortunately...But I will be at the table the whole day. dodger here is a good question for you can I go above book value if the player is hot. I have a bunch of those Team USA cards from Topps and a bunch of those guys cards started selling higher than Book Value is that okay to do.

Collecting
New York Giants
Mark Herzlich
Keith Rivers
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Blackhawks
Stephen Strasburg
Bryce Harper
Military Veterans
Team USA Members
AJ (WWE)
Kaitlyn (WWE)
CM Punk (WWE)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
osufan2383
post Jul 16 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

$3.00 box will also have a boatload of cheaper game used and autos of guys like blackmon, Roddy White

Collecting
New York Giants
Mark Herzlich
Keith Rivers
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Blackhawks
Stephen Strasburg
Bryce Harper
Military Veterans
Team USA Members
AJ (WWE)
Kaitlyn (WWE)
CM Punk (WWE)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jul 17 2012, 05:52 AM
Post #7

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1581

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Here is what I have seen about shows at least here:

On bringing change I would bring roughly $30-50 in $1s 5s and a couple of $10s, say like $1 - 10, $5 - 4, and $10 - 2, especially if you have a $0.25 box, you might even want to bring a few $ in loose change.

On that box you might want to offer a discount for the more they take. $0.25 each or 15 for $3 or 25 for $5 to entice people to look. Everbody loves a bargain and if it gets better by spending a $1 or 2 more than they will look to find those extra 3 or 5 "free" cards.

Dealers check other dealers sell items early and make deals to get stuff they can use elsewhere. So the buying can occur before the doors even open if you have some things they want and the price is right. Same for yourself if you are looking to buy, don't expect the card to be there at the end if it is hot. However, you have to feel this out as some dealers price way too high, and if they are, you might be able to get a better deal at the end of the day if they can't sell it as they might be looking to recoup their table fees.

If you have highend items like the RNH look up the ebay sell price before you set up, most buyers and sellers looking for that card know what it is selling for, oh and not just the first sale, but all of them, because if the last one went for $300 they are not going to pay $500. Additionally, dealers will try to get below ebay price so they can resell and because they will have to sit on it in their shop until it sells. Even collectors are looking for better than ebay prices so if you know what they sold for you can say I am asking $500 last one sold on ebay for $525 (if you sold on ebay you would have shipping, paypal and ebay fees so asking slightly under would net you the same or slightly better results).

If you don't have a case, place your highend stuff to the back of your table by you, and your lowend up front (the stuff that if stolen you won't be as upset about). Stick fingers generally will pick up the easiest to get to, but they like higher priced stuff too. You might want to get a peice of plexiglass to lay over your displayed cards since you don't have a case that way you or the customer will have to pick it up, or ask to see the card, rather than anyone just picking them up.

As for other stuff, I would bring things that might generate interest, sometimes sports magazines draw interest (Sports Illustrateds). I know one dealer who brings sport books, pennants, and other odd items related to the local teams or items related to a man cave like beer signs and player pictures. I would bring your WW magazines as you never know someone collecting cards might also collect those as well.

That is all I can think of for now, but if something else comes to me later I will post it.

PS I am still interested in those hockey inserts, just have been working too much to have time to find traders. If you want to sell lmk a price. Thanks and sorry for not getting back to you it just has been crazy for me since the 4th.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
THUNDER9
post Jul 17 2012, 07:30 AM
Post #8

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Jeff
Transactions: 83

eBay: Braves20

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I'll buy Roddy White autos for $3 - what do you have?

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
osufan2383
post Jul 17 2012, 07:58 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

It was just a jersey card and I was not planning on trading or selling until after the show to see what I have left.

Collecting
New York Giants
Mark Herzlich
Keith Rivers
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Blackhawks
Stephen Strasburg
Bryce Harper
Military Veterans
Team USA Members
AJ (WWE)
Kaitlyn (WWE)
CM Punk (WWE)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
sschind
post Jul 17 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #10

All-Star
Group Icon

Transactions: 7

View Gallery

Create Transaction

here is a link to thread that is a couple of years old but the info is still appropriate. My first (long) post to the thread is advice for shows in general and has no specific card show advice but it still may help.

http://www.tradingcardcentral.com/forums/i...opic=275325&hl=

Steve Schindler

"this bloke won't haggle"

When people say "... has ruined the hobby" what they really mean is that "... has ruined the hobby for me"

NFL Team:
+Quote Post
osufan2383
post Jul 17 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I saw that thanks and the one thing I am wondering is like Mike trout stuff is going up in price can I put his cards higher even though Beckett might not say the price. I see his bowman gold from this year going for 3-5 dollars and it books 2

Collecting
New York Giants
Mark Herzlich
Keith Rivers
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Blackhawks
Stephen Strasburg
Bryce Harper
Military Veterans
Team USA Members
AJ (WWE)
Kaitlyn (WWE)
CM Punk (WWE)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jul 17 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #12

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(osufan2383 @ Jul 17 2012, 02:56 PM)
I saw that thanks and the one thing I am wondering is like Mike trout stuff is going up in price can I put his cards higher even though Beckett might not say the price. I see his bowman gold from this year going for 3-5 dollars and it books 2

They are your cards you can price them however you want IMO. I think however, you have to watch that, because if I see someone pricing cards high at their table, I assume (maybe incorrectly) all their cards are overpriced and don't even bother looking.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
dodgerblue38501
post Jul 17 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #13

GO GATORS !!!
Group Icon

First Name: Chad
Transactions: 186

eBay: cardguy37122

Awards:
2009 Must Read of the Year

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(osufan2383 @ Jul 16 2012, 09:18 PM)
dodger here is a good question for you can I go above book value if the player is hot. I have a bunch of those Team USA cards from Topps and a bunch of those guys cards started selling higher than Book Value is that okay to do.

I would take the hotter guys like Harper and Trout and group them together in your display on your table. Don't put a price on them. Just put a sticker on them that says "HOT !!!" in red ink. People will ask you how much you want for those. Have a price in mind and let them know they are selling above BV right now. If you get stuck with those, don't worry, they make easy trade bait for PC stuff plus you always have the option of selling them online while they are hot.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
+Quote Post
osufan2383
post Jul 17 2012, 04:56 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Restrictions:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Yeah, my goal is to also get some inventory once I make some sales. I really want to get myself stocked with .25 boxes, 3.00 boxes, and some stuff I can sell without set prices. I also am looking to add to my PC and figured selling through a card show can get me enough money to get more PC down the road

Collecting
New York Giants
Mark Herzlich
Keith Rivers
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Blackhawks
Stephen Strasburg
Bryce Harper
Military Veterans
Team USA Members
AJ (WWE)
Kaitlyn (WWE)
CM Punk (WWE)

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Jul 23 2012, 05:34 AM
Post #15

Legend
Group Icon

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

So how did the show go???

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 19th April 2024 - 04:05 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us