Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My box breaks, What do you like better

Which break layout do you like better

I like the Low Budget only [ 3 ] ** [30.00%]
I like Pick-A-Player only [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
I want to see a mix [ 5 ] ** [50.00%]
I have no preference, I just love breaks [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
Total Votes: 10
Guests cannot vote 
sasports
post Feb 9 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #1

Shawn-Anthonys Sports
Group Icon

First Name: Shawn
Transactions: 607
(View: Pending | Failed)

eBay: the_benz2007

Awards:
2008 Thread of the Year (co-contributor) Member of the Month June 2008, March 2015 Trader of the Month- Mar 2015 (TIE)

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

So my case Pick A Player break filled in Record time! As most of you know, I love breaking cards! I don't care if its 80's junk or Exquisite! I just love ripping wax!

I have had some great success filling my Low Budget breaks, but nothing as successful as the new concept of the Pick A Player. We had a few bumps in getting the format down, but I think all in all it was an amazing success!

My question to you (and please don't just vote, I need FEEDBACK), Do you want to see a mix of Pick a Player and Low Budget, Just one or the Other, or do you just want to break!

Deals since resurrection: 6 (HELP ME!)

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

QUOTE(chopinalex @ Aug 13 2009, 03:49 PM)
man your hardcore if you bust the box in the parking lot..

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMUsers Website
Profile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 9 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #2

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1577

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Shawn, I like your low budget breaks. The pick-a-player was nice as it completed pretty fast, my only issues are the cut-off times and making hit players more than base players to start. I was out of town all day yesterday when you hit the mark and had very limited access to put in bids so I missed out on some of my players. Not a big deal, just one of those things that maybe needs a better way of being done. I am sure I am not the only one who missed out on putting in bids. On the hit players, what I am saying is base of Joe Scrub should not cost as much to start as players who have higher valued hits like autos/gu. Maybe $1 on base and $2 on hit players to start? Not sure what the proper variance should be, but ultimately I thought demand should have impacted this, but I don't think it did enough as I saw some star players with low bids who had autos in the product going for less than base players (Brady no auto but more than L McCoy with auto). I am just looking at this like a 30 team purchase break where the better teams are usually priced well higher than the common teams.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
+Quote Post
sasports
post Feb 9 2015, 12:12 PM
Post #3

Shawn-Anthonys Sports
Group Icon

Awards:
2008 Thread of the Year (co-contributor) Member of the Month June 2008, March 2015 Trader of the Month- Mar 2015 (TIE)

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Feb 9 2015, 12:01 PM)
Shawn, I like your low budget breaks. 

I appreciate your input Brain! As always, you bring up some great points.

Unfortunately, I don't really see a way around missing out on players as it is the same as Pick you team. But I can definitely explore better options! I do plan on keep the Low Budget Breaks going because the are cheap, easy, and Fun! I have picked up some nice stuff for myself out of the Low Budgets!

As far as the starting bids, I did put minimums on the bigger rookies. We didn't do the Vets because I didn't have all of the information that I have now. It was definitely a learning experience to get it done! If we do another Pick A Player (and by the responses I have gotten about this one we will!) I will definitely be more prepared and things will go much smoother.

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
northicehero99
post Feb 9 2015, 12:34 PM
Post #4

Legend
Group Icon

First Name: Brian
Transactions: 1577

eBay: northicehero99

OpenChecklist:
northicehero99

Awards:
Trader of the Year - 2007, 2008; Trader of the Month - Aug. '05, Oct. '06, Jan. '07, Jul. '07, January 2010 Pack Pull of the Month Member of trhe Month March 2012

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(sasports @ Feb 9 2015, 12:12 PM)
I appreciate your input Brain!  As always, you bring up some great points.

Unfortunately, I don't really see a way around missing out on players as it is the same as  Pick you team.  But I can definitely explore better options!    I do plan on keep the Low Budget Breaks going because the are cheap, easy, and Fun!  I have picked up some nice stuff for myself out of the Low Budgets! 

As far as the starting bids, I did put minimums on the bigger rookies.  We didn't do the Vets because I didn't have all of the information that I have now.  It was definitely a learning experience to get it done!    If we do another Pick A Player (and by the responses I have gotten about this one we will!) I will definitely be more prepared and things will go much smoother.

Yeah, I get that it is similar to pick your team, just rough missing out.

As for starting bids, yeah maybe it shouldn't be done on the vets since their autos are #/10 and probably lucky if you get 1 a case? It was just a thought, however, I am now realizing that I should have looked at the checklist as I assumed all rookies would have autos, and as it turns out only part of them do. Again, here my fault for not doing my homework. This is certainly a learning experience. At least I think I will do OK for what I paid and at least get some Steelers for my PC. smile.gif

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
sasports
post Feb 9 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #5

Shawn-Anthonys Sports
Group Icon

Awards:

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Yeah, everyone should do fairly well!

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
Rabs
post Feb 9 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector
Group Icon

First Name: Ryan
Transactions: 214

eBay: hollamv7

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I like both. I'm a team and player collector so it's the best of both worlds. It's good on a product like Topps Chrome since it has a large base set and a lot of cool parallels as well as autos. You could do player breaks on higher end products but since you don't get nearly as many cards it's a lot tougher and way more people will go home empty handed. That won't be the case for the Topps Chrome break.

My Sports Card Album - use drop down box to view other albums

I collect:
-Brian Orakpo, Sean Taylor, and Craig Kimbrel Super Collector!
-Lucky 13 RCs from Ultra (2004-2007) all versions
-Texas Longhorns alum RCs/GUs/AUTOs in college uni
-Miami (Da U) Hurricanes alum RCs/GUs/AUTOs in college uni
-Virginia Tech Hokies alum RCs/GUs/AUTOs in college uni
-University of Virginia Cavaliers alum RCs/GUs/AUTOs in college uni
-Washington Redskins RCs/GUs/AUTOs
-Atlanta Braves RCs/GUs/AUTOs
-Roger Federer

RIP Sean Taylor #21 - Gone but never forgotten.

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
sasports
post Feb 9 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #7

Shawn-Anthonys Sports
Group Icon

Awards:

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(Rabs @ Feb 9 2015, 06:41 PM)
I like both. I'm a team and player collector so it's the best of both worlds. It's good on a product like Topps Chrome since it has a large base set and a lot of cool parallels as well as autos. You could do player breaks on higher end products but since you don't get nearly as many cards it's a lot tougher and way more people will go home empty handed. That won't be the case for the Topps Chrome break.

I agree. I would most likely stick to lower end like Topps or Bowman Chrome, Older boxes that I can pick up cheap and have a good amount of cards. I would consider the higher end if we had enough people interested

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
5toosweet
post Feb 10 2015, 11:31 AM
Post #8

Jeff Bagwell Super Collector
Group Icon
Group Icon

Members Referred: 1
First Name: Abel
Transactions: 562

eBay: 5toosweet

Awards:
Best Jeff Bagwell Collection Ever!

YouTube:

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I like both breaks. Affordable and great way to pick up your favorite PC player or teams.

The end time for bidding is a touchy subject. Maybe try to end it on a Friday or Saturday night around 10 PM EST. You gotta make sure west coast people have a chance at being available also. You could accept maximum bids via PM but Im sure that would be a pain to keep track of lol

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

"You must show no mercy.....nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you.....for your greatness will silence them all."

Check Out My Cards!!!

Looking for:
1. Jeff Bagwell- HTF 90's base/inserts preferred
2. Vlad Guerrero
3. Paul Goldschmidt

My Facebook

MLB Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
sasports
post Feb 10 2015, 11:35 AM
Post #9

Shawn-Anthonys Sports
Group Icon

Awards:

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(5toosweet @ Feb 10 2015, 11:31 AM)
I like both breaks. Affordable and great way to pick up your favorite PC player or teams.

The end time for bidding is a touchy subject. Maybe try to end it on a Friday or Saturday night around 10 PM EST. You gotta make sure west coast people have a chance at being available also. You could accept maximum bids via PM but Im sure that would be a pain to keep track of lol

Thanks for your input!

I can definitely adjust the Cuttoff to Midnight or even do a 48 hour window instead of 24 to give more people an opportunity to bid.

I absolutely have no problem with PM max bids. I am an Excel guru so tracking wouldn't be hard at all!

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Feb 10 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #10

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1066

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I think the pick a player offers too small of odds for my liking of getting a hit

Say you got 120 total cards 24 packs at 5 cards per with 1 auto per box

and if i pick Johnny football and pay a premium I may not even get a base card of him let alone a hit

when you multiply the odds out I stand a better chance of hitting a small price in powerball

for a box of chrome per se, my odds would be 1 in 12000 to hit a rookie base of johnny football (100 rookies and 120 total possible cards)

and a hit would be like 1 in a bazillion 100 rookies of 1 of 120 my computer cant even calculate those!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
sasports
post Feb 10 2015, 12:57 PM
Post #11

Shawn-Anthonys Sports
Group Icon

Awards:

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Feb 10 2015, 12:29 PM)
I think the pick a player offers too small of odds for my liking of getting a hit

Say you got 120 total cards 24 packs at 5 cards per with 1 auto per box

and if i pick Johnny football and pay a premium I may not even get a base card of him let alone a hit

when you multiply the odds out I stand a better chance of hitting a small price in powerball

for a box of chrome per se, my odds would be 1 in 12000 to hit a rookie base of johnny football (100 rookies and 120 total possible cards)

and a hit would be like 1 in a bazillion 100 rookies of 1 of 120  my computer cant even calculate those!

I can see that being an issue for those wanting to buy just one or two players possibly. But the majority of the people who joined the chrome pick a player got a good chunk of players! Of course, I think Topps Chrome or other products with a large number of inserts (ie the refractors) would be better options than say, regular Topps.

Another Idea I was toying with is to do a Pick your team "bid". Of course the big teams would start out with higher bids (Browns, Vikings, Giants, etc) and the teams with little to offer would be much lower (Dolphins, Ravens, Jets, etc). Still have a chance to get all cards from your team, but at a price that is fitting to that team. biggrin.gif

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
Profile Card
+Quote Post
Ravens
post Feb 23 2015, 12:09 AM
Post #12

Rookie
Group Icon

First Name: Brandon
Transactions: 4

Awards:
Pack Pull of the Month: FEB '15

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I was thinking you could maybe separate it. Do like the topps chrome player break the same way except you could sell team spots for autos and low #'d parallels, say #'d 50 or less or something?

NFL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 24th March 2019 - 11:08 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us